Bionic arm restores sense of feeling

Understanding the basis and treatment of disease.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Bionic arm restores sense of feeling

#1  Postby DougC » Oct 09, 2014 10:43 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-29538385
B.B.C. Article
Advances in bionic hands have restored a sense of touch to two patients for more than a year, report US scientists.
The men can now delicately pluck the stalks out of cherries.

Igor Spetic and his new prosthetic hand

Sensors on the artificial hand are used to send signals directly to the nerves, the study, published in Science Translational Medicine, said.
Meanwhile, a Swedish team has made a separate breakthrough in artificial limbs - anchoring bionic arms directly on to the bone to improve control.
One of the beneficiaries of the American work was Igor Spetic, who lost his right hand in an accident four years ago.
He was fitted with a bionic replacement, but it was incapable of feeling the world around him.
He had to carefully watch what he was doing and judge by eye whether he was squeezing too hard.

(Continues)
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Bionic arm restores sense of feeling

#2  Postby Varangian » Oct 09, 2014 10:51 pm

Reminds me of this...

The bartender's smile widened. His ugliness was the stuff of legend. In an age of affordable beauty, there was something heraldic about his lack of it. The antique arm whined as he reached for another mug. It was a Russian military prosthesis, a seven-function force-feedback manipulator, cased in grubby pink plastic.

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#3  Postby igorfrankensteen » Oct 10, 2014 12:23 am

Yeah, it's pretty cool. We're getting there. I heard about this last year, I think, maybe a little sooner. Hard to keep track.

In addition to this, people are working towards non-transplant ways to restore hearing and sight, and all sorts of things.
igorfrankensteen

Name: michael e munson
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby james1v » Oct 10, 2014 12:27 am

I want two. Fuck it! I want a complete exoskeleton! With such a thing, i could push aside everyone standing at the bar, and wipe their drinks away, demanding a pint of Carling "or else"! :evilgrin:
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Medicine