Does zinc help prevent or treat COVID-19?

Understanding the basis and treatment of disease.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Does zinc help prevent or treat COVID-19?

#1  Postby JustStarDust » Jul 16, 2020 1:47 am

What are people's opinions on zinc and it's supposed ability to block nasties?
Avoid nasty drugs.
JustStarDust

Name: NotTellingYouThatSorry

Marshall Island (mh)
Print view this post

Re: 2019-nCoV or COVID-19

#2  Postby felltoearth » Jul 16, 2020 2:14 am

JustStarDust wrote:What are people's opinions on zinc and it's supposed ability to block nasties?

This isn’t a thread for speculation. Post the science or take it to another thread.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3  Postby JustStarDust » Jul 16, 2020 4:54 am

felltoearth wrote:
JustStarDust wrote:What are people's opinions on zinc and it's supposed ability to block nasties?

This isn’t a thread for speculation. Post the science or take it to another thread.

Okies:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC131177/

Adequate zinc intake is critical for health. Zinc deficiency affects cells of the immune system. It causes a reduction in the number B lymphocytes and T lymphocytes (CD4 lymphocytes in particular) through increased apoptosis and also reduces their functional capacity. The functions of the macrophage, another key immunological cell that engulfs and destroys bacteria, are also compromised.

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/002416.htm

Zinc is found in cells throughout the body. It is needed for the body's defensive (immune) system to properly work. It plays a role in cell division, cell growth, wound healing, and the breakdown of carbohydrates.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/263176

Zinc is vital for a healthy immune system, correctly synthesizing DNA, promoting healthy growth during childhood, and healing wounds.

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingre ... o-982/zinc

Zinc is a mineral. It is called an "essential trace element" because very small amounts of zinc are necessary for human health. Since the human body does not store excess zinc, it must be consumed regularly as part of the diet.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/zinc/

Toxicity occurs almost exclusively from zinc supplements rather than food. There have been no reports of eating too much zinc from the diet alone.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/terms/zinc.htm

Zinc is the fourth most common metal in use, trailing only iron, aluminium, and copper in annual production.

https://www.uchealth.org/today/zinc-cou ... -covid-19/

Many common colds are caused by coronaviruses. Various scientific studies (we’ll get to those in a moment) have shown zinc lozenges to be effective in shortening the misery phase of common colds. So in the face of a coronavirus pandemic, here’s a big question many are asking: can zinc shorten the duration of – or even diminish the symptom load and thereby lessen the impact – of COVID-19?

The answer is we don’t know yet.

https://selfhacked.com/blog/literally-e ... d-science/

Similar beneficial effects were reported for other infectious diseases in humans including shigellosis, leprosy, tuberculosis, leishmaniasis, hepatitis C, and the common cold

https://www.abc.net.au/science/articles ... 139578.htm

Zinc supplements can reduce the severity of the common cold and help people recover faster, say the authors of a new Cochrane review.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... al-health/

.. for those with depression who are also at high risk for zinc deficiency, including vegetarians, people with alcoholism, gastrointestinal issues or diabetes, and pregnant or lactating women, zinc may be just what the doctor ordered.

8-)
Avoid nasty drugs.
JustStarDust

Marshall Island (mh)
Print view this post

#4  Postby felltoearth » Jul 16, 2020 4:30 pm

JustStarDust wrote:
felltoearth wrote:

Okies:
...Snip...

So nothing about zinc and Coronavirus?
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5  Postby JustStarDust » Jul 16, 2020 6:39 pm

Yep. Either you missed it or something. Nobody actually knows the full story, so it's all speculation? It's a 'novel' virus? Why you bully me?
Avoid nasty drugs.
JustStarDust

Marshall Island (mh)
Print view this post

#6  Postby theropod_V_2.0 » Jul 16, 2020 7:31 pm

Report any post that you feel is bullying towards you, JustStarDust. Only by doing so will you gain insight as to what constitutes a violation of the user agreement and that which does not.

Perhaps you don’t understand that “novel” means previously undocumented. If you can find a confirming positive citation that predates the rise of an unknown covid virus in 2019 I would love to read it. Try “Google Scholar”.

Who knows these things? Maybe those examining the virus down to the molecular level, and that’s happening at dozens of labs across the globe. Your prose almost suggest you think there is some sort of scam taking place. There is, but the deep state is at the helm, and misinformation is their go-to tactic. Consider anything claimed, but unsupported, as suspect.

RS
“Sleeping in the hen house doesn’t make you a chicken”.
theropod_V_2.0

Name: R.A.

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby theropod_V_2.0 » Jul 16, 2020 7:34 pm

MODS:

How ‘bout a split to prune the thread?

RS
“Sleeping in the hen house doesn’t make you a chicken”.
theropod_V_2.0

Name: R.A.

United States (us)
Print view this post

#8  Postby chango369 » Jul 16, 2020 9:27 pm

I found the zinc question interesting, and apparently it's also of some interest to medical science. Coincidentally, about three weeks ago, I deliberately added oysters to my diet to the tune of about a can every other day or so..

medRxiv: ASSESSING THE ROLE OF ZINC IN COVID-19 INFECTIONS AND MORTALITY: IS ZINC DEFICIENCY A RISK FACTOR FOR COVID-19?
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

Frank Zappa
chango369

Name: Chris
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#9  Postby laklak » Jul 16, 2020 10:27 pm

God I love oysters.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Re: Does zinc help prevent or treat COVID-19?

#10  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jul 17, 2020 1:34 am

The answer is in one of your quotes: We don't know. And I'm in no position to find the answer, so why would anyone give the slightest shit what my opinion was on the matter even if I had one?
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby JustStarDust » Jul 17, 2020 5:19 am

Give yourself more credit. Just because you see others being 'attacked' or 'bullied' or for giving an opinion, it doesn't mean that your opinion means nothing.

And sorry, I do feel a little bit bullied, but hey, maybe that's how some people deal with their own issues. I don't report people on forums. I've hardly ever flagged a video on YouTube. It's not that I don't care, it's that I don't mind. I've learnt from school that sometimes bullies will get the upper hand no matter what you do, and no matter the age.

As for a scam going on with covid-19... Nah, never. The medical industries track record is spotless. Politicians never lie about stuff. Never. How dare you criticize our kings?!

Avoid nasty drugs.
JustStarDust

Marshall Island (mh)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Thommo » Jul 17, 2020 5:31 am

JustStarDust wrote:As for a scam going on with covid-19... Nah, never. The medical industries track record is spotless. Politicians never lie about stuff. Never. How dare you criticize our kings?!

To be fair both are more reliable sources than loudmouths on the internet.
Thommo

Print view this post

#13  Postby JustStarDust » Jul 17, 2020 9:39 am

I forgot to mention how our precious media is never wrong either. How dare we suggest otherwise!?

Avoid nasty drugs.
JustStarDust

Marshall Island (mh)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Fallible » Jul 17, 2020 9:46 am

Who has ever said the media is never wrong? This thread is supposed to be about zinc with regard to COVID-19, remember? Your petticoat is showing.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#15  Postby JustStarDust » Jul 17, 2020 10:01 am

Fallible wrote:Who has ever said the media is never wrong? This thread is supposed to be about zinc with regard to COVID-19, remember? Your petticoat is showing.

Indeed. And apparently 'they don't know yet'. It must take years and years and years to test this stuff, and then another 50 years of waiting to see the full effect on humans. I guess we'll just have to wait.
Vaccines rolling out soon? They tested them pretty fast hu? The media plays a role in this too, and yes ok - nobody ever said the media is 100% trustworthy. But at times, it appears people only trust the MSM. And as K.Rudd explains, R.Murdoch is a nasty piece of work. So do I start a new thread about this, or just mention it, and move on?
Avoid nasty drugs.
JustStarDust

Marshall Island (mh)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Fallible » Jul 17, 2020 10:11 am

Lord, I don’t care.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#17  Postby JustStarDust » Jul 17, 2020 11:14 am

Sorry you feel that way. I sure would care, if the answer this whole time has been zinc, and many deaths could've been prevented.
I'm skeptical on the medical industry and that's my fault, I know.
Avoid nasty drugs.
JustStarDust

Marshall Island (mh)
Print view this post

#18  Postby felltoearth » Jul 17, 2020 11:37 am

What we know. Zinc has been shown to reduce the time of people suffering from the common cold. However, the common cold is the Rhinovirus and not the Coronavirus.

Then there is this:

chango369 wrote:I found the zinc question interesting, and apparently it's also of some interest to medical science. Coincidentally, about three weeks ago, I deliberately added oysters to my diet to the tune of about a can every other day or so..

medRxiv: ASSESSING THE ROLE OF ZINC IN COVID-19 INFECTIONS AND MORTALITY: IS ZINC DEFICIENCY A RISK FACTOR FOR COVID-19?

It seems to be an investigation into populations with known zinc deficiencies and death rate. They are looking at correlations and not a mechanism. It might give an indication of a course of further investigation. Hard to tell as the paper is paywalled.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#19  Postby felltoearth » Jul 17, 2020 11:40 am

JustStarDust wrote:Sorry you feel that way. I sure would care, if the answer this whole time has been zinc, and many deaths could've been prevented.

I would argue you are skeptical of the business of the medical industry, and not the scientific basis on what they do. Interestingly, science is the mechanism that often uncovers the porkies of the medical industry.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Fallible » Jul 17, 2020 11:41 am

JustStarDust wrote:Sorry you feel that way. I sure would care, if the answer this whole time has been zinc, and many deaths could've been prevented.

Stop misrepresenting. It’s clear my ‘I don’t care’ was in response to you asking if you should talk about media here or make another thread. Getting tired of your trolling now.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Medicine