Sleep apnea, CPAP

Anyone else?

Understanding the basis and treatment of disease.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Sleep apnea, CPAP

#1  Postby orpheus » Feb 08, 2012 2:58 pm

I was diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea, and just yesterday started using a CPAP machine with a full face mask. My insurance wouldn't pay for an overnight at the sleep clinic, so they loan an at-home machine for a week; it titrates up to various levels of pressure and records the results. One week from now I bring it back, they read the results, make adjustments, and give it to me to use indefinitely.

Last night was my first night. It did take a little while to get used to the face mask, but I was able to get to sleep (with the aid of a tiny amount of clonazepam). This morning I felt really awake for the first time in as long as I can remember. So I guess it's working.

A few questions for anyone else who uses this apparatus:

1) I'm not crazy about the strap marks from the mask. They go away in a few hours, but it's be nice not to have people stare at my face in the morning. Any suggestions?

2) I've read about something alarming called "smashed face syndrome". Supposedly the pressure of the mask on the face pushes the upper teeth and jaw back over a few years time. Is this true? Can it be avoided?

3) I've also read that the straps holding on the mask can cause or exacerbate problems in the cervical spine. Any truth to this? Possible to avoid?

4) Any other suggestions?

Thanks, all.
“A way a lone a last a loved a long the”

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Sleep apnea, CPAP

#2  Postby Weaver » Feb 08, 2012 3:06 pm

I have a CPAP, and love the good sleep it gives me - and my wife, since she no longer has to hear me snore and choke all night (she uses one as well, so mutual benefits abound - such as both of us being able to fart in bed with impunity).

Once you get settled in with an appropriate pressure level, have them experiment with other mask styles. I currently use a "nasal pillow" style nose-only mask (mine is made by [urlhttp://www.resmed.com/us/products/swift_fx/swift-fx.html?nc=patients]Resmed[/url]) which leaves no marks on my face in the morning. If you find that you open your mouth too much at night, there is also a version available with a chin strap.

There's little pressure on my face or in my nostrils with this style - it's really quite comfortable, especially as I sleep almost exclusively on my sides, and need something thin and light with the bed pillows.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby twistor59 » Feb 08, 2012 3:45 pm

Weaver wrote: so mutual benefits abound - such as both of us being able to fart in bed with impunity).

I now have a mental picture of the Weaver household. You've all seen Blazing Saddles, now we got the sequel: Blazing Duvets.
A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earthbound misfit, I
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Weaver » Feb 08, 2012 3:51 pm

:mrgreen:
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Scot Dutchy » Feb 08, 2012 4:00 pm

Not very romantic :lol:
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#6  Postby orpheus » Feb 08, 2012 4:05 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Not very romantic :lol:

You want to talk romantic? With the full face mask, I look like John Hurt in Alien.

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Scot Dutchy » Feb 08, 2012 4:08 pm

What is the pressure involved?

To have a smashed face would need a fair pressure.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#8  Postby orpheus » Feb 08, 2012 5:18 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:What is the pressure involved?

To have a smashed face would need a fair pressure.

If the straps are adjusted correctly it's pretty light. It does need to be tight enough to keep the mask on with no air leaks. But supposedly the changes in the facial structure happen not because of any big pressure, but because of light pressure over time - similar to what happens with orthodontia.

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby The_Metatron » Feb 08, 2012 6:48 pm

orpheus wrote:

You want to talk romantic? With the full face mask, I look like John Hurt in Alien.

What, shit explodes out of your chest? Fuck that!
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Steve » Feb 08, 2012 7:09 pm

I have a lusty snore that leaves me with an exhausted wife and a dry mouth and she raised the idea of exploring the equipment. I read this article Say goodnight to snoring with simple surgeries about a new clinic dedicated to snoring and sleep apnea. It was new in 2010, probably got a track record worth checking.
As your desire is, so is your will.
As your will is, so is your deed.
As your deed is, so is your destiny
Blue Mountain Center of Meditation
Steve
RS Donator

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#11  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Feb 08, 2012 7:13 pm

What can possibly be more romantic than giving your loved one a Dutch oven?
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby JoeB » Feb 08, 2012 7:59 pm

CdesignProponentsist wrote:

I had to google that one..... good lord... :lol:
JoeB
RS Donator

Name: Johan
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#13  Postby twistor59 » Feb 08, 2012 9:34 pm

JoeB wrote:

Oh yeah LOL! I was thinking it was some Kharma Sutra thing but it's not
A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earthbound misfit, I
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby reisender » Feb 09, 2012 3:18 am

After so many years of thinking I probably have sleep apnea, I have recently finally gotten off of my ass to have the tests done.
I took home a pulse check thingy to wear on my finger, and they found my oxygen was dipping below 80% at some points during the night and that I stop breathing sometimes for over a minute.

Took home a different test last week or so that had a thing up my nose, a strap and breathing monitor on my chest and the finger thing. Should get results from that soon. After the first test, I was told it's definitely apnea, they just need to assess how bad it is, I suppose.

I'm divided because I want it to not be apnea because I don't want to have to wear something to bed for the rest of my life, but at the same time, I look forward to having this feeling....

orpheus wrote: This morning I felt really awake for the first time in as long as I can remember. So I guess it's working.
SpeedOfSound wrote:I also held my last puff before I went into a non-smoking Establishment and gleefully exhaled a half a cigarette inside.
reisender

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#15  Postby orpheus » Feb 09, 2012 4:26 am

reisender wrote:After so many years of thinking I probably have sleep apnea, I have recently finally gotten off of my ass to have the tests done.
I took home a pulse check thingy to wear on my finger, and they found my oxygen was dipping below 80% at some points during the night and that I stop breathing sometimes for over a minute.

Took home a different test last week or so that had a thing up my nose, a strap and breathing monitor on my chest and the finger thing. Should get results from that soon. After the first test, I was told it's definitely apnea, they just need to assess how bad it is, I suppose.

I'm divided because I want it to not be apnea because I don't want to have to wear something to bed for the rest of my life, but at the same time, I look forward to having this feeling....

orpheus wrote: This morning I felt really awake for the first time in as long as I can remember. So I guess it's working.

Good luck! I hope it's not apnea as well, for the reason you stated. But if it is, remember that it's not just a matter of fatigue. There seems to be a lot of thought now in the medical community that apnea is implicated in a whole host of other quite nasty - and dangerous - things, including heightened risk of heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure, heart arrhythmias, and diabetes.

Whatever it turns out to be, I hope you get some relief soon.

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#16  Postby reisender » Feb 09, 2012 5:03 am

Thanks! I'll keep the thread posted and see if I end up with a mask...
I'm still in my mid-thirties, but those problems are ones that will creep up on me.
SpeedOfSound wrote:I also held my last puff before I went into a non-smoking Establishment and gleefully exhaled a half a cigarette inside.
reisender

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Scot Dutchy » Feb 09, 2012 12:16 pm

twistor59 wrote:
JoeB wrote:

Oh yeah LOL! I was thinking it was some Kharma Sutra thing but it's not

Yes anything in English that is associated with the Dutch is always negative.

The English never forgive the Dutch for the Dutch fleet coming up the Thames and destroying the English fleet. :lol:

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Macroinvertebrate » Feb 10, 2012 5:46 am

I have severe sleep apnea, but my doc told me I just need to lose weight....Easier said than done! Can't afford the CPAP contraption either.
It's so cold in the D.
Macroinvertebrate

Name: Gawd
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#19  Postby orpheus » Feb 11, 2012 2:32 am

Macroinvertebrate wrote:I have severe sleep apnea, but my doc told me I just need to lose weight....Easier said than done! Can't afford the CPAP contraption either.

A few years ago when my docs first suspected apnea, they said to lose some weight. I didn't. But then last year I did, quite unexpectedly and unintentionally lose a great deal of weight (a gift from the chronic pain of fibromyalgia faerie). And the apnea still continued. So I didn't have a lot of choice. I realize I'm lucky that my insurance does at least pay for the machine. Would you have to pay for it entirely on your own?

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Macroinvertebrate » Feb 11, 2012 6:57 am

orpheus wrote:
Macroinvertebrate wrote:I have severe sleep apnea, but my doc told me I just need to lose weight....Easier said than done! Can't afford the CPAP contraption either.

A few years ago when my docs first suspected apnea, they said to lose some weight. I didn't. But then last year I did, quite unexpectedly and unintentionally lose a great deal of weight (a gift from the chronic pain of fibromyalgia faerie). And the apnea still continued. So I didn't have a lot of choice. I realize I'm lucky that my insurance does at least pay for the machine. Would you have to pay for it entirely on your own?

No, I think the government covers about 75% of it. Still can't afford it. One day, maybe.
It's so cold in the D.
Macroinvertebrate

Name: Gawd
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Medicine