The 'flu Jab.

Understanding the basis and treatment of disease.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

The 'flu Jab.

#1  Postby Alan B » Apr 23, 2020 3:30 pm

Every year I have a 'flu jab. Has the extra effort, staff and equipment required for combatting COVID-19 affected the production of the latest batch of 'flu vaccines?

Edit
And if lockdown continues, how will I get a 'flu jab? Since a visit to the doctor would seem out of the question.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: The 'flu Jab.

#2  Postby Svartalf » Apr 23, 2020 5:36 pm

I'd think not, the manufacture for next winter's flu vaccine may not be started yet though, because the epidemiologists may have been too busy smoking corona cigars to properly assess the flu strains that we'll need to be ready for next winter.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#3  Postby kiore » Apr 24, 2020 1:40 am

The seasonal influenza vaccine will be critical in the COVID-19 response, as seen in the southern hemisphere which just now entering its 'flu season' the demand has been enormous as people expect that the two disease running simultaneous will be disastrous. Not every vaccine manufacturer will be involved in the production of any C-19 vaccine or vaccines either because their process not suited to the formulation or they will not have the rights to it. The advantage with producing the next influenza vaccine for the northern hemisphere is that it a guaranteed market and vaccines will be produced in June-August leaving production lines open in case they can switch to a C-19 vaccine. It will really depend on the process required for a C-19 vaccine if a cell line process vast amounts could be produced quickly perhaps even using other industry's facilities like breweries for example to grow cultures on massive scales. I have already ordered supplies of influenza vaccine and raised the order by 50% even though the mixture of next seasons vaccine not yet announced and start of production still over a month away. I expect vaccine manufacturers will already be extending their stocks of syringes and vials for example in case they have a vaccine to make or if not to sell on these to those who do. The profit on a C-19 vaccine will be in bulk sales in the 100's of million doses needed very quickly so it is possible the licensing will be not be an issue and many companies will switch production lines and subcontract to scale up. The first 1000 doses of an effective vaccine will be worth a fortune but once hundreds of millions available they should be comparable with the cost of influenza vaccines at a few dollars each because of the scale.
How will you get your vaccine? Well if the lockdown continues you will not actually need it if you can't go out and others can't either, what protects people from one respiratory disease will protect from others, but as restrictions are modified this will be one of the things done as part of the health response. Maybe it will be done at home by mobile teams or special vaccine clinic will be established to issue these away from people who are sick or with special appointments for at risk people etc. Public health systems I observe are already starting to plan long term like this for the northern autumn.
Folding@Home Team member.
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#4  Postby Alan B » Apr 24, 2020 11:55 am

Thanks, kiore. That is more or less what I thought. But when September comes, (when I normally have my 'flu jab), we shall see...
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Medicine