Davy Jones has retired his locker.

Monkees legend died.

Discuss music related topics here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Davy Jones has retired his locker.

#1  Postby Animavore » Feb 29, 2012 6:30 pm

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... t-age-66/1

No doubt you're humming Daydream Believer or Last Train to Clarksville as you read this.

The lead singer of The Monkees, Davy Jones, has died.

His rep tells TMZ that he died after suffering a heart attack this morning in Florida. Jones was 66.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: Davy Jones has retired his locker.

#2  Postby Paul » Feb 29, 2012 6:49 pm

:sad:

Only last week I posted a Monkees vid in the Musical Connections game (and got chastised by Chairman Bill).

It may have been pure manufactured pop, but as a pre-teen in the 1960s, I loved The Monkees tv series.
"Peter, I can see your house from here!"
Paul

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Scot Dutchy » Feb 29, 2012 6:54 pm

Paul wrote::sad:

Only last week I posted a Monkees vid in the Musical Connections game (and got chastised by Chairman Bill).

It may have been pure manufactured pop, but as a pre-teen in the 1960s, I loved The Monkees tv series.

Was it not the first "boy" band which started well but has going down hill ever since.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Animavore » Feb 29, 2012 6:55 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:

Was it not the first "boy" band which started well but has going down hill ever since.

Well first of all - The Beatles were the first boy band. But let's not derail.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#5  Postby campermon » Feb 29, 2012 6:56 pm

Very sad news.

Here's to Davy!
:cheers:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby z8000783 » Feb 29, 2012 6:57 pm

Don't boy bands just do vocals?

John
I don’t simply believe in miracles - I rely on them
z8000783

Name: WTF
Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Wiðercora » Feb 29, 2012 6:57 pm

Not in their Hamburg days.

I always liked Last Train to Clarksville. I have a cover of it by the Four Topps around here somwhere.
If the unemployed learned to be better managers they would be visibly better off, and I fancy it would not be long before the dole was docked correspondingly.
-- George Orwell

Infrequently updated photo blog.
Wiðercora

Name: Call me 'Betty'.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Scot Dutchy » Feb 29, 2012 6:58 pm

Animavore wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:

Well first of all - The Beatles were the first boy band. But let's not derail.

The Monkees was a created band. Beatles was created naturally.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Animavore » Feb 29, 2012 7:00 pm

z8000783 wrote:Don't boy bands just do vocals?

John

Gary Barlow used to play piano, so no. A boy-band is simply a band put out there to sell wet dreams to screaming teen girls by enticing them with a bunch of likely lads and some love songs.

Like The Beatles :coffee:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#10  Postby z8000783 » Feb 29, 2012 7:29 pm

... so Led Zeppelin?

John
I don’t simply believe in miracles - I rely on them
z8000783

Name: WTF
Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#11  Postby SafeAsMilk » Feb 29, 2012 10:23 pm

Yeah Animavore, that definition seems so broad as to cover just about every pop and rock band (with members under 30) that ever existed. To me, just singing and not playing instruments is important to the boy band formula, but there are exceptions. Mmmm-bop.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby orpheus » Feb 29, 2012 10:48 pm

:sad:

Sad news indeed.

Yes, the Monkees were a created band, but they were pretty good. And 66 is way too young.
“A way a lone a last a loved a long the”

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Beatsong » Feb 29, 2012 11:02 pm

Animavore wrote:
z8000783 wrote:Don't boy bands just do vocals?

John

Gary Barlow used to play piano, so no. A boy-band is simply a band put out there to sell wet dreams to screaming teen girls by enticing them with a bunch of likely lads and some love songs.

Like The Beatles :coffee:

Not defending the Beatles, who I consider bizarrely overrated, but I don't think your definition accords with general understanding. "Boy band" suggests that the selling of the male personae of the band is, from the very get-go, the reason for the band's formation and existence.

The first thing the term usually suggests is that the band was artificially put together by a producer, salesman or similar, auditioning candidates according to how they look and how they can act the part, rather than forming organically out of like-minded musicians playing and writing together. In this respect the monkees were most definitely a boy band, but the Beatles certainly not. Lennon and McCartney had been working together focusing on what they wanted to do musically for a decade before Beatlemania took off.

Secondly, "boy band" usually suggests that the people in it have limited musical skills and creativity, since their material is usually supplied for them, according to a formula, and whatever support provided as necessary to make the musical product. In the old days they had to at least be able to sing, but rarely had any substantial instrumental skills. (My understanding is that the Monkees were singer-actors who were taught to play "a bit" after they got the gig, and always reliant on backing musicians). These days they don't even need to do that, thanks to autotune and miming. The Beatles' music may be simple (pre-George Martin at least), but they could play, sing and write, no question.

The Beatles weren't a boy band. They were a pretty good rock and roll band that had some good material, made some attention-grabbing creative decisions and were massively overhyped (IMO).
Beatsong

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby MarkS » Feb 29, 2012 11:20 pm

Great music. Sad day.
“Commander Vimes didn't like the phrase 'The innocent have nothing to fear', believing the innocent had everything to fear, mostly from the guilty but in the longer term even more from those who say things like 'The innocent have nothing to fear'.”
MarkS

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Grimstad » Mar 01, 2012 4:14 am

How many "boy bands" produced songs that are considered rock classics? Yes, originally they were manufactured but they fought to bring some depth to their music.
Mike Nesmith bailed when he inherited $25 million, which I really don't blame him for but it was a great blow to the creativity of the band. Mickey Dolenz started his career as Circus Boy of all things yet worked hard to become a driving force behind the band.
I was never a hard core fan but they will always hold a special place in my heart. And their TV show is still entertaining.

Yeah, but she's our witch, so cut her the hell down. - Mal Reynolds

I'm on zero pills, and I miss them.
--Mindy Elise Grayson
Grimstad

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Blip » Mar 01, 2012 9:39 am

I was saddened to hear this news; I loved the Monkees as a youngster and I still listen to some of their output on YouTube regularly. And, as Orpheus remarks, 66 is far too young.
Evolving wrote:Blip, intrepid pilot of light aircraft and wrangler with alligators.
Blip

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Return to Music