Mayor's Music Box

Discuss music related topics here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Mayor's Music Box

#1  Postby Mayor » Feb 10, 2012 10:15 pm

In this thread I'll help out all those who are looking for some seriously outstanding artist. Simple as that. Guys please give this music a chance! The only reason I know of these artist are because friends of mine shared them with me and enlightened me. Now I give you all a chance for something new and great! Embrace it. Read the short descriptions of the artist so that you can see where they are coming from in there music.

First on this list is a man named Tim Buckley who grew up in New York and Southern California. While his first music was mostly folk oriented, over time his music incorporated jazz, psychedelia, funk, soul, avant-garde and an evolving "voice as instrument," sound. He gave birth to Jeff Buckley who had a beautiful voice as well and is well known for songs such as "Hallelujah". Listen to Tim Buckley's voice. It doesn't take someone musically inclined to recognize the beauty in it.

This song is great. It's not a great example of one of his folk songs, but it really captures his music. Just read the lyrics and listen to his voice. BEAUTIFUL!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ0f5_rz4u4[/youtube]
Next song is by Townes Van Zandt. While alive he had a small and devoted fanbase, he never had a successful album or single, and even had difficulty keeping his recordings in print. In 1983, Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard covered his song "Pancho and Lefty", scoring a number one hit on the Billboard country music charts. Despite achievements like these, he was always poor as the bulk of his life was spent touring various dive bars, often living in cheap motel rooms, backwoods cabins and on friends' couches. Van Zandt was notorious for his drug addictions, alcoholism, and his tendency to tell tall tales. He suffered from manic depression, and attempts to treat it with insulin shock therapy erased much of his long-term memory which led him to forget his own wife.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTGKzWDakK8[/youtube]

Next up Radiohead. Radiohead are an English alternative rock band from Abingdon, Oxfordshire, formed in 1985. The bands singer Thom Yorke is a very talented young man who has engineered some extremely artistic songs that have caught the attention of many.

Ok his best album is Kid A for sure, but I gotta share the music video of "Lotus Flower" off of his newest album "King of Limbs".

You laugh you lose.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfOa1a8hYP8[/youtube]
check out "national anthem" of of the album "Kid A" as well.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcFSNVrT_d4[/youtube]

There is better yet.

EDIT: Can't get the youtube videos to show up :think:
Mayor

Name: James

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Mayor's Music Box

#2  Postby Regina » Feb 10, 2012 10:40 pm

What makes you think people here don't know the musicians you mention?
I'm not exactly an expert, unlike some other members here, who are musicians themselves, but even I know them. ;)
Radiohead's being played on the local radio! :lol:
No, they ain't makin' Jews like Jesus anymore,
They don't turn the other cheek the way they done before.

Kinky Friedman
Regina

Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

#3  Postby LIFE » Feb 10, 2012 10:47 pm

Mayor wrote:
Next up Radiohead. Radiohead are an English alternative rock band from Abingdon, Oxfordshire, formed in 1985. The bands singer Thom Yorke is a very talented young man who has engineered some extremely artistic songs that have caught the attention of many.

Ok his best album is Kid A for sure, but I gotta share the music video of "Lotus Flower" off of his newest album "King of Limbs".

You laugh you lose.
http://www.youtube.com/embed/cfOa1a8hYP8
check out "national anthem" of of the album "Kid A" as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcFSNVrT_d4

Radiohead is always great, still have to wade to some of their creations, way too much stuff :D

Mayor wrote:EDIT: Can't get the youtube videos to show up :think:

We have a special tag for youtube videos, it's at the very right. I've edited your post to show the videos embedded.
You can edit your post to see what I've done so they'll show up :)
LIFE
Site Admin

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Mayor » Feb 10, 2012 11:28 pm

Regina wrote:What makes you think people here don't know the musicians you mention?

Well I'm assuming that the vast majority of people have yet to hear of Townes Van Zandt and Tim Buckley and they need to. They will make your life better. Also as far as Radiohead goes I used them as change of pace and I put them on there cause it doesn't hurt and they're a great band.

Regina wrote:I'm not exactly an expert, unlike some other members here, who are musicians themselves, but even I know them. ;)

Well you're fortunate to have heard of the Artist and maybe listened to one or two of their albums (assuming you've done that at least), but I doubt you've really come to know these artists otherwise I'd hear nothing but compliments.

Regina wrote:Radiohead's being played on the local radio! :lol:

What does this mean? Does it make them less of an artist? Do you think popularity sours the artist? Maybe some artist, but not Radiohead.
Mayor

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Regina » Feb 11, 2012 12:00 am

It means that a lot of people are familiar with them, or have at least listened to some of their music.
I have not implied that popularity is something negative. Why should it be?
but I doubt you've really come to know these artists otherwise I'd hear nothing but compliments.

Hm, why would that be? Is there an absolute standard of what people are supposed to like?

Kinky Friedman
Regina

Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Mayor » Feb 11, 2012 12:50 am

Regina wrote:It means that a lot of people are familiar with them, or have at least listened to some of their music.
I have not implied that popularity is something negative. Why should it be?
but I doubt you've really come to know these artists otherwise I'd hear nothing but compliments.

Hm, why would that be? Is there an absolute standard of what people are supposed to like?

It was naturally applied as the only music that is played on the radio is the most popular music in that area. They play the most popular music to attract the most listeners.

Undeniably good music exist. (ex: Ludwig van Beethoven) If a person cannot understand what good music is when they listen to it then it's is only apparent that their brains haven't developed in certain aspects that pertain to knowing what good music is.
I'm giving everyone fortunate enough to stumble upon these artists a chance to know what good music is. I was going to post a few more artist but I have this feeling that it will do no good.
Mayor

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Regina » Feb 11, 2012 12:56 am

I readily admit that my brain might not be sufficiently developed, but I usually distinguish between recognizing who is a fine artist and my personal taste.
Let me put it this way: Picasso is undoubtedly one of the greatest, but there are very few things by him I would hang on my walls.
The same goes for music.
I was going to post a few more artist but I have this feeling that it will do no good.

Why?

Kinky Friedman
Regina

Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

#8  Postby THWOTH » Feb 11, 2012 3:56 am

Mayor wrote:... I'm assuming that the vast majority of people have yet to hear of Townes Van Zandt and Tim Buckley and they need to...

The pastoralists among would agree with you there. But what about Jeff...? ;)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqYw7mtYOxE[/youtube]

:D
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Regina » Feb 11, 2012 1:43 pm

Being as shallow as they come, I need to point out that both father and son were bloody good-looking blokes. :shifty:

Kinky Friedman
Regina

Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Pulsar » Feb 11, 2012 2:19 pm

And died way too young

Tim Buckley (1947 – 1975)
Jeff Buckley (1966 – 1997)
:(

Liz Fraser dedicated Teardrop to Jeff

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7K72X4eo_s[/youtube]
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#11  Postby THWOTH » Feb 11, 2012 6:27 pm

:this: I love that. :thumbup:
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Music