(Metal) New Releases

Share the new releases you've been listening to

Discuss music related topics here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

(Metal) New Releases

#1  Postby Jbags » Mar 28, 2011 6:20 am

I often find that I'll check up on a band I'd previously listened a lot to, and then realise they released a new album a whole ten months ago, and I've been missing out on some top quality riffage. Well, I'm here to say No more!

Since we have quite a sizeable community of metal heads on these boards, I was hoping we could post new releases we come across and spread the news.

There are other threads to discuss the general merits of older stuff, I'd like to keep this about new stuff - so no stuff from last year etc.

It seems unfair to make a demand without giving anything in return so I'll offer up a few of this year's releases:

Devildriver - Beast

The first few of these releases have all been by well renowned bands none of whom really do much to change their tried and tested formula. Devildriver are solid Melodic Death and they've forged their own unique sound over the years. This continues very much in the same vein as Pray for Villains and The Last Kind Words. If you like their previous releases then you'll enjoy this, but it won't set your world on fire. Highlights for me: "Shitlist", "Talons Out (Teeth Sharpened)"

Children of Bodom - Relentless Reckless Forever

Pretty much the same deal as Devildriver - not in style, but rather they've done the same thing: release a new album that sounds exactly like all their other stuff. Great if you're a fan (which I am), though again it has no real surprises.

Onslaught - Sounds of Violence

Old thrashers who reformed a few years back and started putting out new records. This is the first album of theirs I've listened to the whole of, and have to say I'm impressed. There's a lot of thrash revival material coming out, some of it good, some of it not so good, but these guys do it really well. Similar in sound to Exodus, Annihilator, Testament. Stand out tracks for me: "The Sound Of Violence", "Born For War"

Horned Almighty - Necro Spirituals

I don't generally go in for Black Metal, and so I was quite skeptical of these guys when I was checking them out. They certainly bear all the usual signs of a black metal band, corpse paint, howling vocals, hell the word necro is even in the album title. However, this album fucked my face off. Absolutely love it, it's got much more of a groove to it than most black metal, and I'd say it's musically more similar to regular death rather than the likes of Emperor or Darkthrone. This is probably my favourite release from this year so far. Stand out tracks for me: "Necro Spirituals", "Fountain Of A Thousand Plagues".

Tuck From Hell - Thrashing

Debut release from Swedish thrashers Tuck From Hell. Lot's of energy and humour, this definitely feels like a debut release, however the band picked up enough interest to make sure it was well produced as well. Some excellent guitar work, and innovative riffs, though none of it will sound really new per se. Vocals reminiscent of James Hetfield from the Load/Reload era, but luckily the album is far better than either of those. I was a fan of these guys by the time I got to the chorus on the first track ("put another shrimp on the barbie!"), not to mention the amusing artwork. However, I felt I had had my fill of them when I got to the end of the album. Not sure how I'll feel after I've had more time to digest this release. Stand out tracks for me: "Barbecue Beast", "King of Thrash"

Destruction - Day of Reckoning

More solid thrash from experienced hands, showing metal is still alive and well in Germany. Not quite on the level of Onslaught's release in my mind, but different enough to warrant attention in its own right - thoroughly enjoyed this one. Stand out tracks for me: "Hate Is My Fuel", "Church Of Disgust"

Albums that have been released that I haven't listened to yet, but I'm really looking forward to listening to:

Obscura - Omnivium

Progressive & technical death metal, listened to a track from this album they streamed on their myspace and was hooked. Immediately closed the website, as I think you can run a song into the ground by listening to a poor quality streamed version off that cesspool of a website, and quietly looked forward to giving the whole album a proper listen through.

Amon Amarth - Surtur Rising

Long time fan of these guys, greatly looking forward to this one, though I expect they will follow Children of Bodom and Devildriver and just do more of the same. I don't have a problem with that, all of these bands are well into their lifespan, they're not struggling bands, they're well established acts - so more of the same is generally what we should expect. It's a rare and special band that can reinvent itself, and find something new and interesting after they've been doing the same thing for a while (Iron Maiden, Slayer). Bring it on!

What other new releases from this year have people been listening to? :cheers:
世有伯乐然后有千里马
Jbags

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: (Metal) New Releases

#2  Postby Animavore » Mar 28, 2011 9:18 am

Not out yet but expecting Primordial's new album Redemption at the Puritans Hand to be awesome.

You can listen to one if its tracks http://www.metalblade.com/primordial/
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Jbags » Mar 28, 2011 10:06 am

Haven't heard of them before, looking forward to giving them a listen! Thanks!

Falkenbach - Tiurida

More Germans. Very folky viking metal, less heavy than I'm used to, but I have got "...Where His Ravens Fly..." completely stuck in my head, humming it at work. Really enjoyed this album, very refreshing to really dig something outside of my usual tastes.
世有伯乐然后有千里马
Jbags

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Jbags » Mar 29, 2011 12:09 pm

I was a little disappointed with Obscura's Omnivium, but luckily I stumbled upon this gem:

Kampfar - Mare

For the second time in two weeks I've been found a black metal album I like! Given that [black metal albums I like] is quite a small group, I was pleasantly surprised!
世有伯乐然后有千里马
Jbags

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Animavore » Apr 27, 2011 1:52 pm

Just listening to Primordial's new album now. It's awesome.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Animavore » Jun 26, 2011 12:43 pm

Finally someone put it up on YouTube.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcMCbOW7u1k[/youtube]
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#7  Postby mmmcheezy » Jun 26, 2011 12:46 pm

:popcorn:
i've discovered that metal [death metal in particular] is the perfect thing to listen to while i work out. unfortunately, i don't really keep up with this stuff. so i'll be checking out what's posted here :)
http://www.rantingnraging.tumblr.com

I'm not larger than life, I'm not taller than trees
mmmcheezy
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#8  Postby MakeNine » Jul 10, 2011 1:42 pm

My favorite this year is probably the new Primordial, along with the new Hate Eternal.
New Origin is awesome also.

I'd also liked the new Mitochondrion and Ulcerate, but they're not well known bands. Their music is a kind of evil-claustrophobic atmospheric death metal.
MakeNine

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Rachel » Jul 29, 2011 9:59 am

The first track released from the upcoming Machine Head album is blowing my mind at the moment (both are called Locust)

Also, I'm a massive fan of the new Fair to Midland album, Arrows and Anchors - they're not that well known but their music is awesome. Here's the first single:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsDJih0yYgk[/youtube]
If I could remember the names of all these particles, I'd be a botanist.
Rachel

Female

Print view this post

#10  Postby WalterMitty » Aug 27, 2011 10:01 am

Man Im just slack. I think I have too high expectations of new music to really enjoy it. I honestly cant imagine (nor have I heard) stuff better than 'White Pony', or 'Angeldust', or 'Seasons in the Abyss', etc etc. Even recent stuff by some of these bands is just not as good. I must be getting to 'that age'.
WalterMitty

Print view this post

#11  Postby Animavore » Oct 05, 2011 5:54 pm

New Mastodon!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwgqenxNUfs[/youtube]

:awesome:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Animavore » Oct 05, 2011 6:41 pm

Just found this band. Nice!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qHwfLAIrdg[/youtube]
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Animavore » Nov 16, 2011 2:55 pm

This'll make you bleed out your anus.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w08i0UeI6wQ[/youtube]
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#14  Postby mattthomas » Nov 16, 2011 3:21 pm

Can I be a soft shite and put forth that I've been enjoying Blue Octobers - Any man in America?
mattthomas

Print view this post

#15  Postby Animavore » Nov 16, 2011 3:23 pm

If they don't have a sound designed to turn your insides to liquid they don't belong here.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Animavore » Mar 06, 2012 7:12 pm

OMG! OMG! OMG!

New MESHUGGAH!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWvxqnFqXCc[/youtube]
A most evolved electron.