A warm hello

Hello and welcome to RatSkep! :smile: Why don't you introduce yourself here? ;)

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

A warm hello

#1  Postby Isomorphism » Mar 16, 2012 5:29 am

Hello people,

I am a 26 year old from India and I was nurtured in a religious environment that is predominantly patriarchal. I am an atheist since I was a kid and luckily my parents have been very supportive of that. I was very skeptical even at a very young age and wanted to learn more about this fascinating world. I hope my extreme inquisitiveness wont be considered as threatening (like my science teachers in school did!).

My religious community does not respect human rights (by believing in pathetic shit like untouchability,forced arranged marriage, honor killings) and almost always violates women's rights (by actively agreeing to participate in a dowry system, by men demonstrating passive-aggressive behavior towards wives).

So I am interested in rational views of morality. I did not see a forum dedicated to that. Would someone point me to the right forum?

I have a lot of questions about 'positions of privilege', 'educating and training a child without violation of rights' and in general ethics of social dynamics. I do not think I have understood these above points perfectly and I have an argument against these concepts (not their goals).

Thank you,
Isomorphism
Isomorphism

India (in)
Print view this post

Re: A warm hello

#2  Postby Made of Stars » Mar 16, 2012 8:04 am

Welcome. :cheers:

Morality threads can probably be found in either Theism or Philosophy, depending on your bent.
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3  Postby james1v » Mar 16, 2012 8:29 am

Hi! :cheers:
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby zulumoose » Mar 16, 2012 8:31 am

Isomorphism wrote:Hello people,

So I am interested in rational views of morality. I did not see a forum dedicated to that. Would someone point me to the right forum?

Thank you,
Isomorphism

You would do well to look up Sam Harris, there are plenty of youtube videos of him. He is at the cutting edge of investigation of secular morality issues, his last couple of books have been on this subject. He wrote The Moral Landscape, for eg.

http://www.samharris.org/
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Isomorphism » Mar 16, 2012 12:59 pm

Thank you Made of Stars, james1v and zulumoose.

@zulumoose:
I have seen a lot of documentaries and a TED talk, by Sam Harris. I agree with him on many accounts (not all though). I have not read any of his books (even though I am aware of it's existence).

My only source of philosophy comes from the Justice video course offered by Prof.Sandel. I particularly loved the Kantian viewpoint. Many notions of morality are discussed wonderfully in that course.
Isomorphism

India (in)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Nostalgia » Mar 17, 2012 4:37 am

Welcome to the forum Isomorphism. :cheers:
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Ironclad » Mar 17, 2012 8:24 am

Welcome to RatSkep, I hope you have a great time here. :)
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Durro » Mar 20, 2012 12:38 pm

:wave:

Hello from Brisbane, Australia, and welcome into the lifeboat ! This is my greeting for all new members and contains some useful stuff for you.

If you haven't seen it already, you may want to take a look at our New Members' Welcome Pack which will give you some helpful resources such as how to use the forum software and also contains our forum rules, which we ask that you abide by at all times.

As a house warming present for you, here's a few laughs for your entertainment.

:beer:

Durro
I'll start believing in Astrology the day that all Sagittarians get hit by a bus, as predicted.
Durro
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Isomorphism » Mar 29, 2012 6:16 pm

Thank you MacIver, Ironclad.

And I am grateful to you, Durro, for sharing those 'few laughs' package. Its very entertaining!
Isomorphism

India (in)
Print view this post

#10  Postby NamelessFaceless » Mar 29, 2012 6:49 pm

Welcome!
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby turnerj41 » Mar 31, 2012 4:31 am

A warm welcome,

I am also new here and am happy with all the diversity I am finding. I can not direct you to a forum yet, but I do advise you look for the book titles "the idea of justice" by Amartya Sen, and perhaps even "a theory of Justice" by John Rawls. I am not sure how constructive Sam Harris will be, I found him to be presumptuous (though I do plan on reading his latest whopper... a less than 90 page book).

I was also wondering what you meant by:

'educating and training a child without violation of rights' and in general ethics of social dynamics

since I am also juggling a legal theory in the U.S. called "Ignorantia juris non excusat" or Ignorance is not a defense, and I am wondering whether our topics are related.

Either way, glad you made it here, :grin:
turnerj41

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby bluey » Apr 01, 2012 2:25 pm

Welcome to the forum :thumbup:
bluey
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#13  Postby SafeAsMilk » Apr 01, 2012 2:32 pm

Welcome! :cheers:
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to Welcome New Members