Hello =)

new member

Hello and welcome to RatSkep! :smile: Why don't you introduce yourself here? ;)

Moderators: DarthHelmet86, campermon

Re: Hello =)

#21  Postby laklak » Jul 17, 2016 5:58 pm

Meal worm rodeos. Meal worm drives. Meal worm round ups. The work of a worm wrangler is never done.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
laklak
RS Donator
 
Name: Florida Man
Posts: 16309
Age: 63
Male

Country: The Great Satan
Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Hello =)

#22  Postby BlackBart » Jul 18, 2016 7:47 pm

Head 'em up. Move 'em out.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
User avatar
BlackBart
 
Posts: 10368
Age: 55
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Hello =)

#23  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 18, 2016 7:50 pm

Belated welcome Equality.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 26979
Age: 28
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Hello =)

#24  Postby EquALLity » Jul 18, 2016 8:10 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:Belated welcome Equality.

Thanks. :)

You're not that bad I guess. ;)
I think we got off on the wrong foot.
“What one generation finds ridiculous, the next accepts; and the third shudders when it looks back on what the first did.”
― Peter Singer
User avatar
EquALLity
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: Stef
Posts: 61
Female

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Hello =)

#25  Postby Onyx8 » Jul 18, 2016 8:13 pm

Welcome aboard Eq, having a sense of humour is a good thing, you evidently do.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
User avatar
Onyx8
Moderator
 
Posts: 17520
Age: 61
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Hello =)

#26  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 18, 2016 8:14 pm

EquALLity wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:Belated welcome Equality.

Thanks. :)

You're not that bad I guess. ;)
I think we got off on the wrong foot.

People tend to think I'm hostile because I don't treat other people's ideas with any respect if I find them lacking.
Also I can't stand it when people misrepresent each others position, even if it might be unintentional, because it's so easy to actually read what the other person is saying, or if need be, ask them what they mean.
So in that case I might be a bit brusque.

Just keep in mind that when I'm engaged in a discussion with you, it's nothing personal, at worst I'm only attacking your ideas, not you.
And I'd love if you did the same, because the only way we improve our views if people challenge them without compunction.
Last edited by Thomas Eshuis on Jul 18, 2016 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 26979
Age: 28
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Hello =)

#27  Postby mindhack » Jul 18, 2016 8:16 pm

Amen!

Hello Stef, good to have you around.

Welcome! :)
(Ignorance --> Mystery) < (Knowledge --> Awe)
mindhack
 
Name: Van Amerongen
Posts: 2645
Male

Country: Zuid-Holland
Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Hello =)

#28  Postby EquALLity » Jul 18, 2016 9:05 pm

Onyx8 wrote:Welcome aboard Eq, having a sense of humour is a good thing, you evidently do.

Thanks! :)
“What one generation finds ridiculous, the next accepts; and the third shudders when it looks back on what the first did.”
― Peter Singer
User avatar
EquALLity
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: Stef
Posts: 61
Female

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Hello =)

#29  Postby EquALLity » Jul 18, 2016 9:07 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
EquALLity wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:Belated welcome Equality.

Thanks. :)

You're not that bad I guess. ;)
I think we got off on the wrong foot.

People tend to think I'm hostile because I don't treat other people's ideas with any respect if I find them lacking.
Also I can't stand it when people misrepresent each others position, even if it might be unintentional, because it's so easy to actually read what the other person is saying, or if need be, ask them what they mean.
So in that case I might be a bit brusque.

Just keep in mind that when I'm engaged in a discussion with you, it's nothing personal, at worst I'm only attacking your ideas, not you.
And I'd love if you did the same, because the only way we improve our views if people challenge them without compunction.

Ok, great. :)

To clarify, I don't think that including personal attacks within a valid argument is necessarily bad. It only becomes an ad-hominem if the personal attack replaces an argument or is used to dismiss one.
“What one generation finds ridiculous, the next accepts; and the third shudders when it looks back on what the first did.”
― Peter Singer
User avatar
EquALLity
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: Stef
Posts: 61
Female

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Hello =)

#30  Postby EquALLity » Jul 18, 2016 9:08 pm

mindhack wrote:Amen!

Hello Stef, good to have you around.

Welcome! :)

Thank you. :)
“What one generation finds ridiculous, the next accepts; and the third shudders when it looks back on what the first did.”
― Peter Singer
User avatar
EquALLity
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: Stef
Posts: 61
Female

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Hello =)

#31  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 18, 2016 9:36 pm

EquALLity wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
EquALLity wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:Belated welcome Equality.

Thanks. :)

You're not that bad I guess. ;)
I think we got off on the wrong foot.

People tend to think I'm hostile because I don't treat other people's ideas with any respect if I find them lacking.
Also I can't stand it when people misrepresent each others position, even if it might be unintentional, because it's so easy to actually read what the other person is saying, or if need be, ask them what they mean.
So in that case I might be a bit brusque.

Just keep in mind that when I'm engaged in a discussion with you, it's nothing personal, at worst I'm only attacking your ideas, not you.

And I'd love if you did the same, because the only way we improve our views if people challenge them without compunction.

Ok, great. :)

To clarify, I don't think that including personal attacks within a valid argument is necessarily bad.[/quote]
That might be your opinion, but you'd be wrong. At least as far as rational discourse is concerned.
Attacking a person rather than their arguments does nothing whatsoever to refute their position or the arguments in favor of their position.

EquALLity wrote: It only becomes an ad-hominem if the personal attack replaces an argument or is used to dismiss one.

A personal attack is either name-calling or, if used as an argument, by definition an ad-hominem
You're not attacking the argument after, all but the person who made it.
Either way it's in no way conducive to rational discourse.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 26979
Age: 28
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Hello =)

#32  Postby DougC » Jul 18, 2016 11:22 pm

Hi.
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC
 
Posts: 14148
Age: 45
Male

Country: UNITED Kingdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Hello =)

#33  Postby EquALLity » Jul 19, 2016 12:20 am

DougC wrote:Hi.

Hello. :)
“What one generation finds ridiculous, the next accepts; and the third shudders when it looks back on what the first did.”
― Peter Singer
User avatar
EquALLity
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: Stef
Posts: 61
Female

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Hello =)

#34  Postby DougC » Jul 19, 2016 12:28 am

EquALLity wrote:
DougC wrote:Hi.

Hello. :)

Hope you are enjoying a look around the 'lifeboat'.
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC
 
Posts: 14148
Age: 45
Male

Country: UNITED Kingdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Hello =)

#35  Postby EquALLity » Jul 19, 2016 12:33 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote:That might be your opinion, but you'd be wrong. At least as far as rational discourse is concerned.
Attacking a person rather than their arguments does nothing whatsoever to refute their position or the arguments in favor of their position.

Of course. But it might be useful in certain circumstances if other methods of presentation unfortunately don't work. I don't think it's a good first resort.

Thomas Eshuis wrote:A personal attack is either name-calling or, if used as an argument, by definition an ad-hominem
You're not attacking the argument after, all but the person who made it.
Either way it's in no way conducive to rational discourse.

It doesn't improve your argument, but it may help in terms of persuasion.
“What one generation finds ridiculous, the next accepts; and the third shudders when it looks back on what the first did.”
― Peter Singer
User avatar
EquALLity
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: Stef
Posts: 61
Female

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Welcome New Members

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest

cron