LAMENTABLE

Hello and welcome to RatSkep! :smile: Why don't you introduce yourself here? ;)

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

LAMENTABLE

#1  Postby Mr Ashbo » Mar 01, 2010 12:24 pm

lam‧ent‧a‧ble formal
very unsatisfactory or disappointing [= terrible]: a lamentable state of affairs
a lamentable lack of support for the idea
It is lamentable that the officer failed to deal with the situation.

Well, well, well. I have been off-line for a couple weeks and if you guys can mentally rewind the last 8 days or so, you can understand why it has taken me 2 hours of reading various blogs, visiting other sites and generally trawling around to find out what the fuck has happened since the 22nd of February.

LAMENTABLE is the best word I can find to describe what I think. It is VERY unsatisfactrory and VERY disappointing.

I was not a prolific poster (100+) posts but more an avid reader of discussions and occassional contributor and 'OPer'. I would imagine I averaged 5-10 hours a week on the RDF site - exclusively in the discussion fora.

I'll hang here for a while and see what happens at RDF as and when the new site is launched. My biggest concern is that the community has been scattered by this - and although many will reappear here and at a few other sites - I truly doubt that there will be a single place that will contain the same number and variety of atheists. We have been diluted and therefore somewhat weakened by what has happened.

Worse - the magnet that RD's name and forum was for theists and creationists was part of the attraction in that it was a natural place to come to debate (yes and to troll, sock puppet and POE) - now I fear we have lost our concentrated approach to addressing so many of the points made by non-atheists.

I would just like to add my thanks to the many volunteer moderators and non-paid staffers that made the RD Forum such a great experience - you will be truly missed.

LAMENTABLE!!

Mr Ashbo
It is better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however reassuring.
Carl Sagan
Mr Ashbo

Male

Print view this post

Re: LAMENTABLE

#2  Postby stijndeloose » Mar 01, 2010 12:46 pm

Hiya! Welcome to the forum! :cheers:

Btw, RD has posted an apology over at richarddawkins.net.
Fallible wrote:Don't bacon picnic.
stijndeloose
Banned User

Name: Stdlnjo
Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Mr Ashbo » Mar 01, 2010 12:58 pm

Yeah saw it - but not wholly sufficient IMHO.
It is better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however reassuring.
Carl Sagan
Mr Ashbo

Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby HughMcB » Mar 01, 2010 2:33 pm

Welcome to the lifeboat! :cheers:

Yip that apology wasn't the best, but I doubt we'll get much more :(
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Mr Ashbo » Mar 01, 2010 3:36 pm

Thanks for the welcome - I am sure I will enjoy my time here. Can this site handle the potential large volumes of traffic - say if it gets to 25% of RDF?
Carl Sagan
Mr Ashbo

Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby starr » Mar 02, 2010 3:09 am

Mr Ashbo wrote:Thanks for the welcome - I am sure I will enjoy my time here. Can this site handle the potential large volumes of traffic - say if it gets to 25% of RDF?

Life (who has set this site up for us) does this web development for a living so I'm confident that he'll be able to sort all of that stuff out. 8-)

Glad you found us here Mr Ashbo :cheers:
stijndeloose wrote: A wise decision that anyone can make: if you feel tempted to attack a RatSkep member, take a break.

starr
RS Donator

Female

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Durro » Mar 02, 2010 3:46 am

Hello from Brisbane, Australia, and welcome!

Lamentable indeed, but some of the intellectual heavyweights have climbed aboard, so I have high hopes of a good forum here.

As a house warming present, here's a few laughs for your entertainment.

:cheers:
I'll start believing in Astrology the day that all Sagittarians get hit by a bus, as predicted.
Durro
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Return to Welcome New Members