TEP from RD.net

Hello and welcome to RatSkep! :smile: Why don't you introduce yourself here? ;)

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

TEP from RD.net

#1  Postby Arcanyn » Feb 27, 2010 6:27 am

Hi, TEP here.

Well, I have to say that I am quite disgusted by the recent course of events. For Dawkins to treat his loyal supporters in such a manner is really beyond the pale. For a long time I thought that Dawkins was serious about bringing atheism to the masses, and to allow those under circumstances hostile to unbelief to finally be able to be open about their viewpoints. While I myself have had the good luck to live in an atheist household in a country where religion is not taken too seriously, one aspect of the forum that really impressed me was seeing so many posts by people living in theistic environments, who had begun to question their beliefs in circumstances hostile to this, being able to express their views freely, and being met with support and encouragement by the forum community. This, until tuesday, was what I thought Dawkins was all about. But, as we see from his condescending little announcement about the fiasco, none of that matters to him. He doesn't really care about any of the unimportant plebs who occupy his forum. Everybody is expendable. He can treat his supporters as badly as he likes, because compared to him, they are nothing. To paraphrase a quote from Angel, "what comes out of his mouth, pure unadulterated vertigo. We look so tiny to him." It is so very telling that he considers a forum, a place which fulfilled his supposed aims of allowing atheists to speak freely, of promoting rational debate, and showing that allowing opposing viewpoints to be presented need not be feared because ultimately reason would show which view is right (often in the form of a devastatingly thorough reply by the Blue Butterfly), to be something that he doesn't really want, and that he wants abolished in favour of a system in which only those things approved of by Herr Timonen may be said. I think I've gone right off him. His actions do not match his stated goals.

So, anyway, I is here now.
Never ascribe to stupidity that which is the logical consequence of malice.
Arcanyn

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: TEP from RD.net

#2  Postby stijndeloose » Feb 27, 2010 6:34 am

And it's very good to see you! Welcome to the lifeboat! :cheers:
Fallible wrote:Don't bacon picnic.
stijndeloose
Banned User

Name: Stdlnjo
Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#3  Postby starr » Feb 27, 2010 6:44 am

Great to have you here Arcanyn :cheers:
stijndeloose wrote: A wise decision that anyone can make: if you feel tempted to attack a RatSkep member, take a break.

starr
RS Donator

Female

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Durro » Mar 02, 2010 4:05 am

Hello from Brisbane, and welcome!

As a house warming present, here's a few laughs for your entertainment.

:cheers:
I'll start believing in Astrology the day that all Sagittarians get hit by a bus, as predicted.
Durro
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Return to Welcome New Members