Watching the Moon

Hello and welcome to RatSkep! :smile: Why don't you introduce yourself here? ;)

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Watching the Moon

#1  Postby Moonwatcher » Mar 01, 2010 8:00 pm

Moonwatcher signing in. I was over at a certain other board that shall remain nameless that suddenly pulled the plug on us. So now I'm over here. I may visit there but I suspect it won't be as likeable a format anymore. I was "High_Evolutionary" over there. As I'm fairly new at starting to learn any science in-depth, I thought Moonwatcher was a more appropriate name anyway.
We're holograms projected by a scientist riding on the back of an elephant in a garden imagined by a goose in a snow globe on the mantel of a fireplace imagined in a book in the dreams of a child sleeping in his mother's lap.
Moonwatcher

Male

Print view this post

Re: Watching the Moon

#2  Postby campermon » Mar 01, 2010 8:01 pm

Welcome ! :cheers:

I love that film too!

:mrgreen:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Weaver » Mar 01, 2010 8:05 pm

campermon wrote:Welcome ! :cheers:

I love that film too!

And the associated SF story, which is where Moonwatcher was named.

I wonder whether he ever found a tall enough tree? ;)

Welcome!
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Moonwatcher » Mar 01, 2010 8:07 pm

I love that film too!

Thanks. Loved the movie and the book. The book told us a bit about that proto-scientist, Moonwatcher, trying to understand and learn about his world. I remember once thinking that, within the context of his world and the information and evolutionary development he had to work with, he was actually far smarter than a Creationist,
considering the information and evolutionary advantages the Creationist has over the little pre-man.
We're holograms projected by a scientist riding on the back of an elephant in a garden imagined by a goose in a snow globe on the mantel of a fireplace imagined in a book in the dreams of a child sleeping in his mother's lap.
Moonwatcher

Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby virphen » Mar 01, 2010 8:09 pm

I don't get the reference I'm afraid, but nevertheless, welcome :cheers:.
virphen

Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby Weaver » Mar 01, 2010 8:10 pm

Plus Moonwatcher actively tested his ideas - unlike Creationists.

For those who don't understand the reference, Moonwatcher was the lead ape in the beginning of the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey who is forcibly evolved by the monolith.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Moonwatcher » Mar 01, 2010 8:10 pm

Weaver wrote:

I love that film too!

And the associated SF story, which is where Moonwatcher was named.

I wonder whether he ever found a tall enough tree? ;)

Welcome!

Yes I loved those opening chapters. Clarke really got into Moonwatcher's thought processes and how he was beginning to reason within the limits of his knowledge. Sadly he never found a high enough tree himself but we later did by standing on his shoulders. :thumbup:
Moonwatcher

Male

Print view this post

#8  Postby campermon » Mar 01, 2010 8:11 pm

virphen wrote:I don't get the reference I'm afraid, but nevertheless, welcome :cheers:.

2001:A Space Odyssey

:ugeek:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Moonwatcher » Mar 01, 2010 8:13 pm

virphen wrote:I don't get the reference I'm afraid, but nevertheless, welcome :cheers:.

Its the book version of "2001: A Space Odyssey" we are talking about. In the book, Clarke gave one of the pre-men at the beginning a name (translated to English, of course). The tribe called him Moonwatcher because he would gaze at the moon with this look in his eyes they couldn't understand.
Moonwatcher

Male

Print view this post

#10  Postby stijndeloose » Mar 01, 2010 8:14 pm

Welcome to the lifeboat, Moonwatcher! :cheers:
Fallible wrote:Don't bacon picnic.
stijndeloose
Banned User

Name: Stdlnjo
Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Moonwatcher » Mar 01, 2010 8:16 pm

Weaver wrote:Plus Moonwatcher actively tested his ideas - unlike Creationists.

For those who don't understand the reference, Moonwatcher was the lead ape in the beginning of the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey who is forcibly evolved by the monolith.

That's true. If it didn't work (ie. didn't stand up to the evidence), he rejected it. He never quite rejected his tree theory of course, but its a nice metaphor that there were people who, within the knowledge available in their times, were way smarter than a creationist.
Moonwatcher

Male

Print view this post

#12  Postby flyingscot » Mar 01, 2010 8:29 pm

Hi Moonwatcher and welcome aboard. Great name btw! :cheers:
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."..Denis Diderot
Pale Blue Dot keeps everything in perspective.Image
flyingscot
RS Donator

Female

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#13  Postby starr » Mar 02, 2010 2:16 am

Moonwatcher wrote:

Its the book version of "2001: A Space Odyssey" we are talking about. In the book, Clarke gave one of the pre-men at the beginning a name (translated to English, of course). The tribe called him Moonwatcher because he would gaze at the moon with this look in his eyes they couldn't understand.

What a great basis for a user name :cheers:

Glad to have you here :)
stijndeloose wrote: A wise decision that anyone can make: if you feel tempted to attack a RatSkep member, take a break.

starr
RS Donator

Female

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Durro » Mar 02, 2010 3:50 am

Hello from Brisbane, Australia, and welcome!

As a house warming present, here's a few laughs for your entertainment.

:cheers:
I'll start believing in Astrology the day that all Sagittarians get hit by a bus, as predicted.
Durro
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Return to Welcome New Members