9th-grader arrested after taking homemade clock to school

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: 9th-grader arrested after taking homemade clock to school

#2041  Postby John Platko » Oct 21, 2015 8:58 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
John Platko wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
John Platko wrote:

Hmmmm. Perhaps you're not all that familiar with Texas logic.

Oh look, more vapid trolling..... :roll:

Looks more like a difference of opinion to me.

QED.

pro tip - if you're ever in Texas and get pulled over by a trooper - I suggest you use my kind of logic.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Name: John Platko
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2042  Postby felltoearth » Oct 21, 2015 10:33 pm

You're providing further clarity as to why Ahmed's family prefers Qatar.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#2043  Postby John Platko » Oct 22, 2015 12:02 am

felltoearth wrote:You're providing further clarity as to why Ahmed's family prefers Qatar.

Texas may not be perfect, but it's not like this
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2044  Postby felltoearth » Oct 22, 2015 3:41 am

John Platko wrote:
felltoearth wrote:You're providing further clarity as to why Ahmed's family prefers Qatar.

Texas may not be perfect, but it's not like this

Depends on your shade.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#2045  Postby GrahamH » Oct 22, 2015 7:06 am

John Platko wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
John Platko wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Oh look, more vapid trolling..... :roll:

Looks more like a difference of opinion to me.

QED.

pro tip - if you're ever in Texas and get pulled over by a trooper - I suggest you use my kind of logic.

That would be why a Muslim family might prefer Qatar to Texas.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#2046  Postby Teague » Oct 22, 2015 10:31 am

Nice to see the argument has turned to something of absolutely no substance and johnplakto is still full of nonsensical shit.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#2047  Postby felltoearth » Oct 22, 2015 11:37 am

"But at least we're better than Qatar". I like how the bar is set high here.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#2048  Postby John Platko » Oct 22, 2015 12:23 pm

felltoearth wrote:"But at least we're better than Qatar". I like how the bar is set high here.

You got to play the ball where it lies - it's not my fault the Mohamed's hit it in Qatar.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2049  Postby felltoearth » Oct 22, 2015 6:15 pm

John Platko wrote:
felltoearth wrote:"But at least we're better than Qatar". I like how the bar is set high here.

You got to play the ball where it lies - it's not my fault the Mohamed's hit it in Qatar.

Your focus on a 14 year old kid has made you miss the point of my post entirely. Texas being better than Qatar is not really an achievement.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#2050  Postby Oldskeptic » Oct 22, 2015 6:30 pm

Teague wrote:
“Qatar is in the Arab world, but it also feels like Texas. It’s like Texas in Qatar.”

Oh>? Is that full of bigoted asshole as well?

Well in Qatar Muslims can be publicly beaten for having illicit sex especially with a non Muslim, publicly executed for leaving Islam, thrown in prison for seven years for blasphemy and proselytizing can get you ten, women must be covered head to foot except for their eyes and fingers, homosexuality is a capital offense, and they treat poor foreign workers like slaves.

I'd say the asshole factor in Qatar is pretty fucking high even compared to that hell hole Texas.
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#2051  Postby WayOfTheDodo » Oct 25, 2015 12:51 am

Is it true that the kid just ripped out the inside of a different clock and put it into his box?

By the way, poor kid. All he did was make a clock (or steal and and present it as his own, not that it matters in this context). Why is a young kid being forced into the spotlight like this?
WayOfTheDodo

Name: Raphus Cucullatus

Mauritius (mu)
Print view this post

#2052  Postby felltoearth » Oct 26, 2015 1:40 am

Oldskeptic wrote:
Teague wrote:
“Qatar is in the Arab world, but it also feels like Texas. It’s like Texas in Qatar.”

Oh>? Is that full of bigoted asshole as well?

Well in Qatar Muslims can be publicly beaten for having illicit sex especially with a non Muslim, publicly executed for leaving Islam, thrown in prison for seven years for blasphemy and proselytizing can get you ten, women must be covered head to foot except for their eyes and fingers, homosexuality is a capital offense, and they treat poor foreign workers like slaves.

I'd say the asshole factor in Qatar is pretty fucking high even compared to that hell hole Texas.

We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

This is the preamble to the US constitution. You tell me how any of the statements in the preamble align with Ahmed's experience.

Maybe his parents just prefer honesty:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution_of_Qatar
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#2053  Postby HughMcB » Oct 26, 2015 2:45 am

I can see the billboards now.

"Come to Texas, arguably better than living under Sharia Law"
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#2054  Postby HughMcB » Oct 26, 2015 3:04 am

A fair amount of casual racism on display in this thread, but it's nice to see where people stand. Even nicer to see they've got the mental gymnastics to convince themselves that is not based in racism.

What a wonderful life it must be to drive a kid to prefer to live under Sharia Law than to stay. And to be proud of that. I must admit I wouldn't particularity want to share a country with you either. I'm glad I don't.
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#2055  Postby WayOfTheDodo » Oct 26, 2015 8:42 am

HughMcB wrote:A fair amount of casual racism on display in this thread, but it's nice to see where people stand. Even nicer to see they've got the mental gymnastics to convince themselves that is not based in racism.

What is based on racism?
WayOfTheDodo

Name: Raphus Cucullatus

Mauritius (mu)
Print view this post

#2056  Postby John Platko » Oct 26, 2015 5:34 pm

HughMcB wrote:A fair amount of casual racism on display in this thread, but it's nice to see where people stand. Even nicer to see they've got the mental gymnastics to convince themselves that is not based in racism.

Perhaps you'd like to demonstrate the mental gymnastics that seems to have convinced you that the school or police actions were based on racism.

edit: opps, too late
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2057  Postby John Platko » Oct 26, 2015 5:42 pm

WayOfTheDodo wrote:Is it true that the kid just ripped out the inside of a different clock and put it into his box?

There is compelling evidence that it is true. There has been nothing that seriously disputes this evidence.
I'll be happy to provide the appropriate links.

Why is a young kid being forced into the spotlight like this?

That's the interesting dynamic that I find worthwhile looking into.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2058  Postby HughMcB » Oct 27, 2015 2:20 pm

WayOfTheDodo wrote:What is based on racism?
John Platko wrote:Perhaps you'd like to demonstrate the mental gymnastics that seems to have convinced you that the school or police actions were based on racism.

Nah, I'm good. Honestly I don't see what value there is in engaging on this thread anymore. You've made your positions quite clear.

And while you are happy to continue believing that those positions are irrespective of this kids religion or skin colour, I'm equally clear that such is not the case.

Just like how I don't like to engage someone espousing to teach the controversy of evolution as it lends legitimacy to their claims, I also do not like to engage with someone espousing that this isn't about the kid's race but... as it lends legitimacy to the very clear undertone of racism. After all, if this was a 14 year old white girl, this thread would be very different.

So I don't want to become too jaded with the posters on this forum, so for now I'll just pretend that these posts are symptoms of say, ignorance on the issue, rather than a more sinister route cause.

Please do carry on, I don't think you've sufficiently eviscerated this nerdy 14 year old to what he so clearly deserves.
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#2059  Postby John Platko » Oct 27, 2015 4:11 pm

HughMcB wrote:
WayOfTheDodo wrote:What is based on racism?
John Platko wrote:Perhaps you'd like to demonstrate the mental gymnastics that seems to have convinced you that the school or police actions were based on racism.

Nah, I'm good. Honestly I don't see what value there is in engaging on this thread anymore. You've made your positions quite clear.

And while you are happy to continue believing that those positions are irrespective of this kids religion or skin colour, I'm equally clear that such is not the case.

Just like how I don't like to engage someone espousing to teach the controversy of evolution as it lends legitimacy to their claims, I also do not like to engage with someone espousing that this isn't about the kid's race but... as it lends legitimacy to the very clear undertone of racism. After all, if this was a 14 year old white girl, this thread would be very different.

So I don't want to become too jaded with the posters on this forum, so for now I'll just pretend that these posts are symptoms of say, ignorance on the issue, rather than a more sinister route cause.

Please do carry on, I don't think you've sufficiently eviscerated this nerdy 14 year old to what he so clearly deserves.

I prefer to not engage with people who want to push forward their unsubstantiated arguments on maters like Creationism - you won't find me in those threads :nono: . In a similar vain, I prefer not to argue with people who push whatever argument that they have neither the ability and/or inclination to substantiate. And I sure as hell don't like to have to spend time sweeping the clutter some forum members create in my mind because they choose to litter threads of interest to me with comments apparently based only on their own personal bias and or imagination with no evidence, circumstantial or otherwise to back up their claims. Or to put it more simply, my perception is that they confuse their opinions, based on what, I don't know, (because they don't say what) with facts backed by actual relevant evidence.

With that in mind, I want to thank you for not wasting my time further by what seems to me to be your exit from the thread.

I only wish more members who wanted to share their opinions in a way that I find utterly useless to me would do so as succinctly as you seem to have done as I find the minor amount of mind sweeping that I must now do to be acceptable collateral damage for participation in the forum.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2060  Postby Sendraks » Oct 27, 2015 4:22 pm

Gymnastics would be unnecessary.
Even breaking into a mental jog is unnecessary for this one.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs