Africans Will Not Stop Popping Out Babies

Frightening Reports From South of the Saharan

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Africans Will Not Stop Popping Out Babies

#141  Postby rEvolutionist » Apr 16, 2012 1:37 pm

UndercoverElephant wrote:
rEvolutionist wrote:

And if we don't address the population issue then it doesn't matter what else anybody else does about any of our ecological problems. If we don't start with ecological realism, everything that follows is a fantasy.

Overconsumption is an ecological problem as well. And anyway, none of what you just said refutes what I said to you. Population is a problem down the track somewhere. Gross consumerism and consumption is a problem NOW and it's destroying the world NOW.

Nope. Overpopulation is a serious ecological problem RIGHT NOW.

Of course, how didn't I see this. Why didn't you explain it like this the first time... :roll:

You are trying to draw attention to overconsumption and our capitalist system as "the real problem" in order to deflect attention from the population issue.

Thanks for the psychic reading, but like most psychics you are wrong. I'm not deflecting anything. It's my absolute belief as an ecologist that overconsumption is destroying the planet now, whereas overpopulation isn't.

I'm not reading your psychology. I'm reacting to your responses.

No you're not. You're fucking imputing motive where there is none. You are engaging in mind reading and you are getting it wrong. So stop doing it.

I know you absolutely believe that overpopulation isn't at the root of our problems, and you are absolutely wrong.

:yawn2: In your opinion.

This is our Number One problem, it is cultural, and it manifests both as explosive population growth and unsustainable levels of personal consumption.

:yawn2: In your opinion.
God is a carrot.
Carrots exist.
Therefore God exists (and is a carrot).
rEvolutionist
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#142  Postby UndercoverElephant » Apr 16, 2012 1:37 pm

rEvolutionist wrote:
rEvolutionist wrote:

Overpopulation is the number one ecological problem.

In your opinion.

The current economic problems are partly caused by the overall ecological problem

Yeah, the ecological problem of overconsumption, not overpopulation.

You are setting up a false dichotomy in order to distract attention from the population problem. It's not a case of one or the other. It's BOTH.

Once again, in your opinion. And in your post just prior to this one, you accepted that it was my absolute belief that overconsumption was is the big problem, and yet here you are again asserting dubious actions to my comments. Are you that stubborn that you can't accept that you are presenting an unevidenced opinion, and that other people can honestly have different opinions to you?

I think your opinion is mis-informed and dangerous.

From my point of view, you are attempting to downplay the most serious problem humans have ever or will ever face. It is therefore my moral duty to attack that opinion.
UndercoverElephant

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#143  Postby rEvolutionist » Apr 16, 2012 1:40 pm

rEvolutionist wrote:
rEvolutionist wrote:

In your opinion.

You are setting up a false dichotomy in order to distract attention from the population problem. It's not a case of one or the other. It's BOTH.

Once again, in your opinion. And in your post just prior to this one, you accepted that it was my absolute belief that overconsumption was is the big problem, and yet here you are again asserting dubious actions to my comments. Are you that stubborn that you can't accept that you are presenting an unevidenced opinion, and that other people can honestly have different opinions to you?

From my point of view, you are attempting to downplay the most serious problem humans have ever or will ever face. It is therefore my moral duty to attack that opinion.

Good for you. But you should try and back it up with some evidence. Just bleating X repeatedly and saying Y is wrong, is just silly.
God is a carrot.
Carrots exist.
rEvolutionist
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#144  Postby rEvolutionist » Apr 16, 2012 1:42 pm

rEvolutionist wrote:
rEvolutionist wrote:

In your opinion.

That's not the point. The point is that you are imputing motives where there are none (and where you have just apparently agreed that there are none).
God is a carrot.
Carrots exist.
rEvolutionist
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#145  Postby Nostalgia » Apr 16, 2012 1:44 pm

MacIver wrote:
UndercoverElephant wrote:We don't have time for that strategy to work. Educate by all means. As much as possible. But don't pretend that this can make a difference quickly enough to avoid a catastrophe that has already begun

You might well be right, but I don't see any other option.

I'm suggesting another option. Fund education, provide contraception, and otherwise leave them alone - including not stealing their resources.

Agreed. But that's what I support. It's not an alternative. Urbanisation will increase no matter what we do.

It is our cities which are the least sustainable.

Really? I disagree. It's a simple matter of mathematics. More people in a smaller area causes less strain on overall resources and produces less pollutants.

But it relies on the cities importing resource from outside. As things stand, "outside" means the whole planet, via a fossil-fuel based global transport system.

Yes, but a decentralised civilisation would require even more energy. And with non-urbanised populations you see the fertility rate rise but with urbanised ones you see it fall. If one it truly concerned about population rise in my opinion one must wholeheartedly support the urbanisation of the planet.
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#146  Postby rainbow » Apr 16, 2012 2:13 pm

MacIver wrote:Yes, but a decentralised civilisation would require even more energy. And with non-urbanised populations you see the fertility rate rise but with urbanised ones you see it fall. If one it truly concerned about population rise in my opinion one must wholeheartedly support the urbanisation of the planet.

Urbanisation may decrease population growth, but it increases consumption:
http://www.google.co.za/publicdata/expl ... l=en&dl=en

http://www.google.co.za/publicdata/expl ... n_US&dl=en
We can see that the sub-saharan African population has grown faster than that of Eastern Asia, yet the energy consumption has grown at a much lower rate.
Kill the Wise One!
http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/155419

"Það er ekki til betri tími en núna til að fresta"
rainbow
Banned User

Name: Señor Moderato

Mozambique (mz)
Print view this post

#147  Postby UndercoverElephant » Apr 16, 2012 3:00 pm

rEvolutionist wrote:
rEvolutionist wrote:

Good for you. But you should try and back it up with some evidence. Just bleating X repeatedly and saying Y is wrong, is just silly.

How many times do I have to post that graph before you take it as valid evidence?
UndercoverElephant

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#148  Postby UndercoverElephant » Apr 16, 2012 3:02 pm

MacIver wrote:

But it relies on the cities importing resource from outside. As things stand, "outside" means the whole planet, via a fossil-fuel based global transport system.

Yes, but a decentralised civilisation would require even more energy.

How can eliminating the need for massive amount of long-range transport and of goods and people require more energy?

And with non-urbanised populations you see the fertility rate rise but with urbanised ones you see it fall. If one it truly concerned about population rise in my opinion one must wholeheartedly support the urbanisation of the planet.

I don't think that is going to work.
UndercoverElephant

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#149  Postby UndercoverElephant » Apr 16, 2012 3:15 pm

MacIver wrote:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUxwiVFgghE[/youtube]

There's longer talks by him on Youtube that focus on urbanisation and why it's a good thing if you're interested.

I will watch this later and get back to you.

OK, I watched half of this and couldn't take any more. I'm afraid it looks like a load of idealistic nonsense to me. Why? Because those slum areas he is talking about can only survive by importing vast amounts of goods and produce from the outside. They can't feed themselves, so they are dependent on the global industrial system to keep them going. This works only so long as the price of food remains under control, and that is not going to happen. Far from this being the way forwards, these are the places where the die-off is going to hit hardest, because there is nothing they can do to compensate for collapse of the bigger economic system in which they are embedded.

It may well be true that in the next ten years or so there will be a continued migration from rural to urban areas, but I believe we are going to see that process go into reverse at some point in the not so distant future.
UndercoverElephant

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#150  Postby UndercoverElephant » Apr 16, 2012 3:29 pm

We have to look at this from a global, strategic, long-term perspective. And from that perspective, the biggest problem is a population/resources/pollution problem: too many humans doing too much stuff in a world which can't supply any more resources and can't sustainably absorb our waste. We also have a largely free, globalised market for energy and food, which have linked costs due to the requirement to use fossil fuels to produce our food. We are already testing the Earth's capacity to produce both free energy and food. We are facing not only the start of a long decline in global oil production, but the Hubbert peaks in a whole swathe of other non-renewable resources, and an ongoing decline in most types of resource which don't follow a Hubbert curve. In short, we are somewhere near the middle of a 20-30 year period where we hit "peak everything" (a sequence of peaks of individual Hubbert-consistent resources.) It follows that food and energy prices, relative to the amount people are capable of earning, are going to keep rising indefinately (with short-term noise, of course.) This is likely to be the primary mechanism by which the die-off happens. The most vulnerable are not the subsistence farmers, but the poorest section of the urban population, which is least able to adjust to ever-rising cost of food and fuel.
UndercoverElephant

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#151  Postby Loren Michael » Apr 16, 2012 3:49 pm

Loren Michael wrote:
Loren Michael wrote:

Not actually necessary. You defend your position by painting the alternative as being necessarily extreme;

No. My position is based on hard science. Yours is lost in idealism.

No. My position is based on hard science. Yours is lost in myopia.

My position is based on hard science. Yours is lost in idealism.

This is an assumption about my personality, not my position. Again:

Loren Michael wrote:
rEvolutionist wrote:We are already overconsumptive.

Do you think it is going to be possible to convince everybody to become a vegetarian and give up owning cars?

Not actually necessary. You defend your position by painting the alternative as being necessarily extreme; it's not. People could be convinced to eat more sustainably and use more efficient means of transportation. Urbanization tends to help with both of those, which is happening already, and effective legislation (like a carbon tax) would help as well.

Everybody does not need to become a vegetarian. People can still drive cars. Suggesting otherwise is painting the alternative to your vision as more extreme than it realistically need be. Urbanization and a carbon tax are two big steps in the proper direction.
Loren Michael

Name: Loren Michael

China (cn)
Print view this post

#152  Postby UndercoverElephant » Apr 16, 2012 4:01 pm

Loren Michael wrote:

Everybody does not need to become a vegetarian. People can still drive cars. Suggesting otherwise is painting the alternative to your vision as more extreme than it realistically need be. Urbanization and a carbon tax are two big steps in the proper direction.

You, like most of our species, have no idea what is coming. You think 8 billion people can drive cars? :(
UndercoverElephant

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#153  Postby Loren Michael » Apr 16, 2012 4:03 pm

MacIver wrote:

How can eliminating the need for massive amount of long-range transport and of goods and people require more energy?

You overestimate the relevance of transport on the cost of food. Most of the energy consumption in our food system is not caused by transportation. Sometimes local food is more energy efficient. But often it's not. Buying from a local farmer can mean that he makes a two-hour extra truck drive, which can damage the environment more than a bunch of bananas on a boat.

Locavorism is misguided:

We must weigh the environmental benefits from shipping less food against the environmental costs of producing and storing local food in a state that doesn’t exactly have ideal conditions for every kind of produce. One recent UK report found that the greenhouse gas emissions involved in eating English tomatoes were about three times as high as eating Spanish tomatoes. The extra energy and fertilizer involved in producing tomatoes in chilly England overwhelmed the benefits of less shipping. Even New Zealand lamb produced less greenhouse gases than English lamb. Berkeley graduate student Steven Sexton estimates that an American switch to more local corn production would require 35 percent more fertilizer and 22.8 percent more energy.
Loren Michael

China (cn)
Print view this post

#154  Postby Acetone » Apr 16, 2012 4:06 pm

No you're not. You're fucking imputing motive where there is none. You are engaging in mind reading and you are getting it wrong. So stop doing it.

Oh how Ironic.

And don't forget, they're "stupid" too. They deserve it.
Don't play these games and then cry when someone else does it to you.

Here's what I actually said.
they want to be stupid then they can be stupid without international aid. I'm sure within a year the population problem there will be fixed.
Which in context of the posts my opinion is clear. 'Fix the problem or face the consequences'. So after all other attempts are depleted the drastic measure (instead of an occupation) at the end would be removing all foreign aid from the region or at least those countries that continue to not fix the problem.
I then FURTHER made my opinion clear that this is a matter of POLICY makers and their POLICIES being stupid and not the citizens and that the act of removing foreign aid has as a CLEAR motive to make the citizenry see how big a problem it actually is and FORCE their governments to change. International backlash, internal backlash, both of which would lead to change. This has a cost advantage over an occupation AND it'd probably not kill as many people. (think about it, if they pushed the situation far enough for an OCCUPATION to occur by international forces it's PRETTY DAMN CLEAR that they won't just let you come into their country and occupy it, this would be an act of war and we all know how these occupations turn out.)

Not once did I say Africans right now are stupid OR that they deserve anything. So fuck you?
Last edited by Acetone on Apr 16, 2012 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Acetone

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#155  Postby Loren Michael » Apr 16, 2012 4:14 pm

UndercoverElephant wrote:You, like most of our species, have no idea what is coming.

I have some ideas, but I try not to have too much certainty.

You think 8 billion people can drive cars?

False dichotomy - it's not everyone drives or nobody drives - and a mis-characterization of my assertion:

"People could be convinced to eat more sustainably and use more efficient means of transportation"

is not

"8 billion people can drive cars"
Loren Michael

China (cn)
Print view this post

#156  Postby Ben Six » Apr 16, 2012 4:24 pm

Here's a graph of countries by birth rate and here's a graph of countries by female literacy. There's a pretty strong correlation there: Somalia, Niger and Burkina Faso, for example, are among the top ten in the first graph and bottom in the second. I agree that education is vital, then, but it's not as simple as that because, for one thing, such countries are among the most highly religious in the world and often have prejudices against women having any ambition than child-bearing. To lower their birth rates, then, they need significant cultural shifts that can't be imposed from outside. (One only as to look at Iraq or Afghanistan to grasp the failure of such ambitions.)
Ben Six

Print view this post

#157  Postby Nostalgia » Apr 16, 2012 4:29 pm

MacIver wrote:

Because decentralisation doesn't eliminate the need for massive amount of long-range transport and of goods and people, it increases the need for it. Unless you're stating that people are just going to stop requiring/requesting/demanding complex electronics, metal, plastic, artificial fabrics and a whole host of other goods that cannot be made locally.

And with non-urbanised populations you see the fertility rate rise but with urbanised ones you see it fall. If one it truly concerned about population rise in my opinion one must wholeheartedly support the urbanisation of the planet.

I don't think that is going to work.

You don't think what's going to work? It's an indisputable fact that the more urbanised a society the lower its birthrate, whether we look at the Developed world or the Developing one.

Developed countries usually have a much lower fertility rate due to greater wealth, education, and urbanization. Mortality rates are low, birth control is understood and easily accessible, and costs are often deemed very high because of education, clothing, feeding, and social amenities. With wealth, contraception becomes affordable. However, in countries like Iran where contraception was subsidised before the economy accelerated, birth rate also rapidly declined. Further, longer periods of time spent getting higher education often mean women have children later in life. The result is the demographic-economic paradox. Female labor participation rate also has substantial negative impact on fertility. However, this effect is neutralized among Nordic or liberalist countries.[5]

In undeveloped countries on the other hand, families desire children for their labour and as caregivers for their parents in old age. Fertility rates are also higher due to the lack of access to contraceptives, generally lower levels of female education, and lower rates of female employment in industry.

[cont]

In terms of the effect of urbanization on fertility, it has long been established that urban fertility rates are pervasively lower than rural fertility rates, especially in poor countries (Kuznets 1974). The urban fertility in Sub-Saharan Africa is on average almost 30 percent lower than the rural fertility (Shapiro and Tambashe 2000; Dudley and Pillet 1998).

[cont]

OK, I watched half of this and couldn't take any more. I'm afraid it looks like a load of idealistic nonsense to me. Why? Because those slum areas he is talking about can only survive by importing vast amounts of goods and produce from the outside. They can't feed themselves, so they are dependent on the global industrial system to keep them going. This works only so long as the price of food remains under control, and that is not going to happen. Far from this being the way forwards, these are the places where the die-off is going to hit hardest, because there is nothing they can do to compensate for collapse of the bigger economic system in which they are embedded.

It may well be true that in the next ten years or so there will be a continued migration from rural to urban areas, but I believe we are going to see that process go into reverse at some point in the not so distant future.

Ah, I see. You're predicting a near apocalyptic event which will fundamentally change society. I don't necessarily see it as a certainty. But for the sake of argument lets say these "die-offs" are possible, or even likely. Then what happens? We go back to an rural agriculture society and again see a massive increase in fertility rates instead of the levelling off we're currently seeing? We just enter another cycle of urbanisation/decentralisation? People won't be any more accepting of short lives toiling away in the fields in the future than they are now. And I'm not confident that our species has the gumption to learn from history, we haven't shown any evidence of it so far.

If you had kept watching the video (or even better read Whole Earth Discipline) you would of seen that there are solutions to the food problem, the main being GM crops. Add significantly increased yields with the same input of water and energy to the fact that worldwide urbanisation will see a tapering off of the population increase, and eventual population decline you'll see there are solutions that do not require billions of people dying off.
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#158  Postby Loren Michael » Apr 16, 2012 4:32 pm

Ben Six wrote:Here's a graph of countries by birth rate and here's a graph of countries by female literacy. There's a pretty strong correlation there: Somalia, Niger and Burkina Faso, for example, are among the top ten in the first graph and bottom in the second. I agree that education is vital, then, but it's not as simple as that because, for one thing, such countries are among the most highly religious in the world and often have prejudices against women having any ambition than child-bearing. To lower their birth rates, then, they need significant cultural shifts that can't be imposed from outside. (One only as to look at Iraq or Afghanistan to grasp the failure of such ambitions.)

I agree that culture is an extremely important determinant on how people behave.

That said, "imposed from the outside" is a framing that assumes cultural change has to happen in a place rather than to people. you can't impose a cultural change on a place, but you can, via migration, allow people access to alternative cultures.
Loren Michael

China (cn)
Print view this post

#159  Postby Ben Six » Apr 16, 2012 4:56 pm

Loren Michael wrote:That said, "imposed from the outside" is a framing that assumes cultural change has to happen in a place rather than to people. you can't impose a cultural change on a place, but you can, via migration, allow people access to alternative cultures.

In what sense?

If you mean that migrants are influenced by the cultures of the nations they move to I see a couple of problems. Firstly that the state of European pluralism suggests that the attitudes migrants carry from the nations of their birth can be quite resilient. (And that's true even when the bulk of European migrants, as far as I'm aware, come from less religious, better educated societies like those of Turkey, Algeria and Morocco.) Secondly that I'm don't sure how migration, unless there are indirect factors I haven't been introduced to, could make a substantial impact on overpopulated lands. The nations with the highest birth rates are going to contain billion upon billion of people. Even if luckier nations disregarded all other concerns - and there would be a few! - there wouldn't be space for more than a small proportion of them, no? I mean, England, for one, is already among the world's most densely populated countries.
Ben Six

Print view this post

#160  Postby UndercoverElephant » Apr 16, 2012 6:02 pm

deleted
UndercoverElephant

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs