Supreme Court Watch

Formerly Anthony Kennedy: US supreme court justice to retire. Goodbye Roe v Wade, Obergefell

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Anthony Kennedy: US supreme court justice to retire

#121  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Sep 17, 2018 12:58 am

She'll get those too. Then she'll get harrassed for taking them seriously.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#122  Postby Animavore » Sep 18, 2018 5:43 am

And so, this weekend, within the space of a few hours, something remarkable happened. The salient question about Ford’s allegations became, in some quarters, not whether they are true, but rather whether they count as allegations at all. The cruelties she describes—the alleged acts of dehumanization that left her traumatized, she says, as a 15-year-old and, still, as an adult—might be “terrible,” yes, but they are also … simply part of the natural order of things. Boys, figuring out how to be men. Locker-room talk, made manifest. “Drunk teenagers playing seven minutes of heaven.” Who wouldn’t be implicated in that? Who doesn’t see himself, in some way, in this age-old story? If somebody can be brought down by accusations like this, then you, me, every man certainly should be worried.

Americans talk a lot, these days, about norms. What will be preserved, in the tumult and chaos of today’s politics; what is worth preserving; what will fall away. Brett Kavanaugh’s nomination to the Supreme Court was already, in the profoundest of ways, a matter of norms: It will determine, almost inevitably, whether the women of America maintain autonomy over their bodies. Here, though, in Christine Blasey Ford’s claim that a young Brett Kavanaugh compromised her autonomy in another way, another norm is being litigated: the way we talk about sexual violence. Whether such violence will be considered an outrage, or simply a sad inevitability. Whether it will be treated as morally intolerable ... or as something that, boys being boys and men being men, just happens.

Christine Blasey Ford, who knew the risk she was taking—the horrific treatment of Anita Hill, all those years ago, remains a fresh wound—came forward anyway. Preemptively dismissed, even in anonymity (as a drunk, as a liar, as a partisan stooge, and as simply mistaken), Ford made herself public to issue a warning about a person seeking concentrated power over the lives and bodies of women. Her claims have been met by some with urgency and clarity: They must be investigated, many in power have said. But those claims have also been met, revealingly, with a collective shrug by people who see themselves in him but cannot see themselves in her. They weaponize their apathy. They are all Spartacus. They defend each other. And they defend a world in which—as a point of anxiety but also, it seems, as a point of pride—they can all be accused of something.

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainme ... ium=social
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#123  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Sep 18, 2018 5:47 am

in short: none of them (religious) white old men want to throw the first rock.
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#124  Postby Macdoc » Sep 18, 2018 6:52 am

He should never have categorically denied it ....saying I don't recall it might be mitigating but coming across as goodie two shoes when clearly he was a frat brat brings into question his judgement.

I think he's done.

He's got a very credible witness accusing him and even the perception of his actions that he denies is enough to cloud a judgement especially on something like women's rights.

It's the flat out denial in the face of Ford's credible accusation says ..."next please". ....better yet ..."never sir"

I do think there should be some element of a statute of limitations on youthful indiscretions but denying them ....that's pejorative in my view to the interlocutors.

:coffee:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#125  Postby Calilasseia » Sep 18, 2018 8:08 pm

Everything you want to know about Kavanaugh - and his supporters - can be summed up in this cartoon ...

Republicans Dont Like Vagina.jpg
Republicans Dont Like Vagina.jpg (336.86 KiB) Viewed 1251 times
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#126  Postby Alan C » Sep 19, 2018 12:58 am

It seems all but 2 of the 65 women that signed that letter stand by their statement as they did not know what it was they were signing.
Looking for corroboration on this though.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#127  Postby SafeAsMilk » Sep 19, 2018 1:04 am

Yes, I'd be curious to see where you're getting that.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#128  Postby Alan C » Sep 19, 2018 1:16 am

It was a posting I saw on Twitter this morning local time for me. I just had a look now for any article but nothing yet.
I've also just seen mention that someone doxxed Ford on Twitter and received a slap on the wrist 12-hour suspension.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#129  Postby Alan C » Sep 19, 2018 2:48 am

So far I've just found this;
https://hillreporter.com/kavanaugh-lose ... r-him-7467

It's possibly established that all but 2 have backed off in their support, still unsure about the issue of them not knowing what they were signing.
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#130  Postby SafeAsMilk » Sep 19, 2018 2:59 am

I didn't read that as they've backed off support, just that they were unwilling to talk to Politico. In the linked Politico article, 7 women express unequivocal support. Not that I'm sure what a group of women saying "he didn't try to rape me" is supposed to accomplish.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#131  Postby laklak » Sep 19, 2018 6:56 pm

OK, so, a far-left professor accuses a SCOTUS nominee of "grinding" on her at a party some 35 years ago. Her husband says she even told her therapist about it. She took a lie detector test but won't release any specifics. She's unsure how many boys were involved. She refuses to testify under oath. She'd like the FBI to investigate. Mind you, the FBI has already conducted several deep background investigations, that happens as a matter of course in ANY federal judicial appointment.

If anyone finds this "evidence" credible then call me, I've got a sweet real estate for you, you'll make a fortune, trust me.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#132  Postby Seabass » Sep 19, 2018 7:15 pm

laklak wrote:OK, so, a far-left professor accuses a SCOTUS nominee of "grinding" on her at a party some 35 years ago. Her husband says she even told her therapist about it. She took a lie detector test but won't release any specifics. She's unsure how many boys were involved. She refuses to testify under oath. She'd like the FBI to investigate. Mind you, the FBI has already conducted several deep background investigations, that happens as a matter of course in ANY federal judicial appointment.

If anyone finds this "evidence" credible then call me, I've got a sweet real estate for you, you'll make a fortune, trust me.

"Far-left"? She's a Democrat, which means she could be anything from center-left to center-right. I've seen no indication that she's "far-left".

She hasn't alleged that he "grinded" on her. She has alleged that he pinned her to the bed, tried to take her clothes off, and muffled her mouth with his hand when she screamed for help. She also alleges that they played loud to music to drown out the noise. A far cry from grinding.

She has stated that there were two boys in the room: Kavanaugh and Judge.

She has indicated that she is willing to testify, but would like for the FBI to investigate first.

No one has called the allegations "evidence". Many, however, feel that the allegations shouldn't be ignored.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire

"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Gazpacho Police

Print view this post

#133  Postby laklak » Sep 19, 2018 7:32 pm

I'll withdraw "far left", though any professor at a California university is certainly suspect on the face of it. Why wait 35 years? Why sit on the accusations until the hearings are over? Why ask the FBI to investigate a "crime" they would have no jurisdiction over in the first place, assuming you have probable cause to believe ANY crime was committed, and assuming that any statute of limitations had not expired decades ago? How come nobody else remembers it? How come she doesn't know when or where it happened?

Come on, this is gutter politics of the worst sort, and Feinstein is playing this woman like a fish for political gain.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#134  Postby felltoearth » Sep 19, 2018 7:41 pm

It’s Kavanaugh’s reaction to this that has me most concerned, just like the line of questioning about the contact with Trump’s lawyer.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#135  Postby laklak » Sep 19, 2018 7:47 pm

What, that he denied it?
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#136  Postby purplerat » Sep 19, 2018 7:49 pm

laklak wrote:I'll withdraw "far left", though any professor at a California university is certainly suspect on the face of it. Why wait 35 years? Why sit on the accusations until the hearings are over? Why ask the FBI to investigate a "crime" they would have no jurisdiction over in the first place, assuming you have probable cause to believe ANY crime was committed, and assuming that any statute of limitations had not expired decades ago? How come nobody else remembers it? How come she doesn't know when or where it happened?

Come on, this is gutter politics of the worst sort, and Feinstein is playing this woman like a fish for political gain.

My perspective is why not wait until it's most damaging to him to come out with it? Assuming it's true, there was probably very little chance of her getting any justice at the time or anywhere in between then or now. And even now she's probably not getting anything more than the satisfaction of fucking him over. So wait and sit on it until coming forward would damage him the most. At least that's what I'd do if I were in her position.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#137  Postby Seabass » Sep 19, 2018 8:04 pm

laklak wrote:I'll withdraw "far left", though any professor at a California university is certainly suspect on the face of it. Why wait 35 years? Why sit on the accusations until the hearings are over? Why ask the FBI to investigate a "crime" they would have no jurisdiction over in the first place, assuming you have probable cause to believe ANY crime was committed, and assuming that any statute of limitations had not expired decades ago? How come nobody else remembers it? How come she doesn't know when or where it happened?

Ford didn't wait for the hearings to be over. She contacted the press and her representative in July. Feinstein didn't leak info about the letter, someone else did. Feinstein apparently sat on the letter because Ford wanted to maintain her anonymity and Feinstein knew an anonymous accuser would be ignored. Many on the left are pissed at Feinstein for not revealing the allegations sooner.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire

"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Gazpacho Police

Print view this post

#138  Postby laklak » Sep 19, 2018 8:10 pm

As well they should be, it stinks.

It's a dangerous game they're playing, trying to put off the vote till after the mid-terms. If they take back the House then it works, but if they don't I wouldn't be surprised if Trump pulls Kavanaugh and puts in a real right-winger. At that point their chances of sinking the nomination will be practically nil.
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#139  Postby Just A Theory » Sep 19, 2018 10:41 pm

Trump won't pull Kavanaugh, BK is the only (edit: qualified) conservative judge who is on record supporting presidential immunity from all court proceedings - it's essential to Trump that BK gets on the bench.

As for the "dangerous game" being played, you're absolutely right. We should probably not allow appointments of judges in the final months before an election...
"He who begins by loving Christianity more than Truth, will proceed by loving his sect or church better than Christianity, and end in loving himself better than all."

Samuel Taylor Coleridge 1772-1834
Just A Theory

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#140  Postby Macdoc » Sep 19, 2018 11:28 pm

Seems to me that's exactly what the repuglies told Obama :roll:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs