Assisted Suicide Bill may be Passed in UK

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Assisted Suicide Bill may be Passed in UK

#1  Postby Alan B » Mar 09, 2014 11:33 am

Suicide Bill
Mail on-line
The British government will not stand in the way of legislation that would permit assisted suicide, the Ministry of Justice said Sunday as parliament prepares to examine a bill.

The governing coalition will not order its lawmakers to block the proposals and instead they will be given a free vote according to conscience, a spokesman said.

The draft legislation will come before parliament in the next four months, The Sunday Telegraph newspaper said.

It remains a criminal offence - punishable by up to 14 years' imprisonment - to help someone take their own life, under the 1961 Suicide Act.

Four years ago, the director of public prosecutions (DPP), who heads England's state prosecution service, issued guidelines which said anyone "acting out of compassion" while helping a loved one to die was unlikely to be charged.

Since then, around 90 such cases have been examined and no charges brought, The Sunday Telegraph said.

And about bloody time!
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Assisted Suicide Bill may be Passed in UK

#2  Postby redwhine » Mar 09, 2014 11:44 am

I've been dying to hear this for years.
Like BEER? ...Click here!

What do I believe?

Atheism is myth understood.
redwhine

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#3  Postby hackenslash » Mar 09, 2014 12:01 pm

redwhine wrote:I've been dying to hear this for years.

:lol:

Seriously, though,this has been too long coming. Here's hoping it passes.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby Ihavenofingerprints » Mar 09, 2014 12:14 pm

Amazing to see this in a country currently run by a conservative government.
Ihavenofingerprints

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5  Postby ED209 » Mar 09, 2014 1:22 pm

Ihavenofingerprints wrote:Amazing to see this in a country currently run by a conservative government.

While it's true that we are currently suffering the most illiberal and right-wing government for years this bill is a result of the fact that years ago the public prosecutor said that cases were unlikely to be prosecuted, there's been many cases not prosecuted since, and there's been some high profile people affected speaking movingly in the meejah about it in recent years. Hopefully the bill will pass, the law as it stands is a travesty, something many are angry about, and surely progress cannot be stalled indefinitely.
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#6  Postby Alan B » Mar 09, 2014 1:28 pm

Yep. But I suppose the religious fuckwits will get up on their hind legs and start braying about the 'immorality' of it all...
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby michael^3 » Mar 09, 2014 11:35 pm

Let's have assisted self-mutilation too, while we're at it.
Happy the man who delights in God's law and meditates on it day and night.
michael^3

Print view this post

#8  Postby Fallible » Mar 09, 2014 11:36 pm

Why?
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Strontium Dog » Mar 09, 2014 11:38 pm

Ihavenofingerprints wrote:Amazing to see this in a country currently run by a conservative government.

The country is run by a coalition of conservatives and liberals.

What would be genuinely astonishing is if it happened in a country run by moralising left-wing authoritarians.
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Name: Dan
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Thommo » Mar 09, 2014 11:41 pm

This sounds like good news, I'll be very pleased if it passes - assuming the content is reasonable.
Thommo

Print view this post

#11  Postby michael^3 » Mar 09, 2014 11:51 pm

Fallible wrote:Why?

If you're going to help somebody with killing himself, why won't you help somebody with just hurting himself?
michael^3

Print view this post

#12  Postby Fallible » Mar 09, 2014 11:53 pm

michael^3 wrote:

If you're going to help somebody with killing himself, why won't you help somebody with just hurting himself?

Sorry, I don't understand how the two are the same. Can you explain?
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Thommo » Mar 09, 2014 11:54 pm

michael^3 wrote:

Because the goals of alleviating suffering (by assisting someone in terminal pain dying) and causing suffering (by hurting someone) are diametrically opposed. The motivation and arguments for the one do not in any way support the other.
Thommo

Print view this post

#14  Postby michael^3 » Mar 09, 2014 11:57 pm

Fallible wrote:
michael^3 wrote:

They are the same, it's just a matter of dosage. Killing yourself means hurting yourself so bad that you die.
michael^3

Print view this post

#15  Postby michael^3 » Mar 10, 2014 12:01 am

Thommo wrote:
michael^3 wrote:

Because the goals of alleviating suffering (by assisting someone in terminal pain dying) and causing suffering (by hurting someone) are diametrically opposed. The motivation and arguments for the one do not in any way support the other.

It's not about suffering. If a person hurts himself deliberately, it means he gets something out of it. Otherwise he wouldn't do it. So why wouldn't you respect his wish to hurt himself?
michael^3

Print view this post

#16  Postby Thommo » Mar 10, 2014 12:03 am

michael^3 wrote:
Thommo wrote:
michael^3 wrote:

It's not about suffering. If a person hurts himself deliberately, it means he gets something out of it. Otherwise he wouldn't do it. So why wouldn't you respect his wish to hurt himself?

Sorry, I'm not willing to conduct a conversation based on such silliness as claiming that hurt doesn't cause suffering or that death is an overdose of hurt. I cannot see any benefit can follow from such daft assumptions.
Thommo

Print view this post

#17  Postby michael^3 » Mar 10, 2014 12:04 am

Thommo wrote:Sorry, I'm not willing to conduct a conversation based on such silliness as claiming that hurt doesn't cause suffering or that death is an overdose of hurt. I cannot see any benefit can follow from such daft assumptions.

Yeah i understand that it is impossible to bullshit your way out of this one.
michael^3

Print view this post

#18  Postby ED209 » Mar 10, 2014 12:12 am

michael^3 wrote:

Depending on who it is, I might very well be only too pleased to do exactly that. I'd even travel :dunno:
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#19  Postby Fallible » Mar 10, 2014 12:18 am

michael^3 wrote:
Fallible wrote:
michael^3 wrote:

They are the same, it's just a matter of dosage. Killing yourself means hurting yourself so bad that you die.

No, not really. The whole point of assisted dying is that it ends the hurting, and in a way that is as painless as possible. Care to try again?
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Fallible » Mar 10, 2014 12:22 am

michael^3 wrote:
Thommo wrote:
michael^3 wrote:

Because what can be got from the self harm can be got in other less painful and more advantageous ways. Getting rid of guilt and low self esteem and emotional numbness and past traumas can all be done without imbibing harmful substances, pulling out one's hair, cutting oneself or indulging in risky behaviour. Assisted dying concerns people for whom there is no other way out.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Next

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs