Beaverton church sues family after they criticize it online

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Beaverton church sues family after they criticize it online

#21  Postby Strontium Dog » May 16, 2012 5:01 pm

Beaverton Grace Bible Church, in a press release about this suit wrote:There is another side to the story. Beaverton Grace Bible Church wants to present its side of the story before anyone rushes to judgment.

Aha, I think you'll find we're not interested in hearing other sides of the story around here.

Now where did I leave my pitchfork?
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Name: Dan
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#22  Postby purplerat » May 16, 2012 5:08 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:
Beaverton Grace Bible Church, in a press release about this suit wrote:There is another side to the story. Beaverton Grace Bible Church wants to present its side of the story before anyone rushes to judgment.

Aha, I think you'll find we're not interested in hearing other sides of the story around here.

Clearly were not interested - otherwise why would The_Metatron bother posting his response? :roll:
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Shrunk » May 16, 2012 5:37 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:

To be clear, I admit I'm in no position to know whose claims are true in this case. It just seems really stupid to issue press releases publicizing the fact that you've been accused of aiding and abetting child molestation when no one else has been talking about that, and then complaining that the media is slandering you. And whether or not the woman who runs the blog had made slanderous accusations against them elsewhere, I don't think that means any unrelated claims she makes on her blog are also slanderous.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#24  Postby amok » May 17, 2012 4:00 am

Shrunk wrote:
Strontium Dog wrote:

To be clear, I admit I'm in no position to know whose claims are true in this case. It just seems really stupid to issue press releases publicizing the fact that you've been accused of aiding and abetting child molestation when no one else has been talking about that, and then complaining that the media is slandering you. And whether or not the woman who runs the blog had made slanderous accusations against them elsewhere, I don't think that means any unrelated claims she makes on her blog are also slanderous.

We'd have to know the content of the slander suit. It might not even cite the particular blog we've read in this thread. The accusations we're now hearing about might also be well out in the public square in the area where those people live.

And to be frank, if accusations of aiding and abetting child molestation have been made and disseminated, I don't see why a person shouldn't have recourse to legal action whether he/she is a pastor or not. If the accusations are false, it's an appalling thing to say and people have to take responsibility for their actions.

I'd be very surprised if the blog I read by the woman would be part of the action (unless it's included as some sort of intended evidence of a continued and massive campaign). Nothing in that specific blog appears to be slanderous/libelous on its own.
amok
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#25  Postby BrandySpears » May 17, 2012 8:01 am

The photos showing up in the church's Google reviews are hilarious:
BrandySpears

United States (us)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Shrunk » May 17, 2012 10:20 am

amok wrote:We'd have to know the content of the slander suit. It might not even cite the particular blog we've read in this thread. The accusations we're now hearing about might also be well out in the public square in the area where those people live.

And to be frank, if accusations of aiding and abetting child molestation have been made and disseminated, I don't see why a person shouldn't have recourse to legal action whether he/she is a pastor or not. If the accusations are false, it's an appalling thing to say and people have to take responsibility for their actions.

I'd be very surprised if the blog I read by the woman would be part of the action (unless it's included as some sort of intended evidence of a continued and massive campaign). Nothing in that specific blog appears to be slanderous/libelous on its own.

Agreed.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#27  Postby DoctorE » Jul 14, 2012 2:04 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVUfe97K7HU[/youtube]
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

#28  Postby Shrunk » Jul 15, 2012 7:21 pm

DoctorE wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVUfe97K7HU[/youtube]

That kinda clarifies things, and kinda muddies them further. So it does in fact appear that the issue in question is the accusations that the pastor allowed a child molestor to work in the day care. If those accusations were in fact made, and were untrue, then he's obviously justified in suing.

The part that remains unclear to me is where those accusations were made. I haven't re-read the blog, but when this thread initiallly appeared I was unable to find any references to this particular accusaton there. So were the accusations made elsewhere? Or did she remove them from the blog? In either case, it's then unfortunate that so many have been jumping to the blogger's defence (myself included) based on an inaccurate presentation of the case. The impression given was that she was being sued solely for expressing critical personal opinions on her blog. That's much different from the kind of accusation that the pastor is claiming was made.
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Simon_Gardner » Jul 16, 2012 9:26 am

Erm. First Amendment anyone?
Image (Since 27 Nov 1987)
Dates - YYYY/MM/DD; measure metric scientific.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts - attrib Patrick Moynihan
Simon_Gardner

Name: Twitter @Simon_Gardner

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#30  Postby Shrunk » Jul 16, 2012 10:08 am

Simon_Gardner wrote:Erm. First Amendment anyone?

It doesn't allow someone to commit slander.
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#31  Postby Simon_Gardner » Jul 16, 2012 10:55 am

Shrunk wrote:

Oh I thought it did. Image
Image (Since 27 Nov 1987)
Dates - YYYY/MM/DD; measure metric scientific.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts - attrib Patrick Moynihan
Simon_Gardner

Name: Twitter @Simon_Gardner

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#32  Postby zulumoose » Jul 16, 2012 11:10 am

If the church is claiming that they were specifically accused of knowingly putting children at risk, then I guess that they are following the right course. Such accusations must be answered, and it puts them in a better light if that is what they are doing.

However, since they are the ones now accusing the blogger of such actions, it means the burden of proof is now on them, and since when did churches ever properly understand the concept of burden of proof?
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#33  Postby Weaver » Jul 16, 2012 1:22 pm

Simon_Gardner wrote:
Shrunk wrote:

Oh I thought it did. Image

No, but the burden of proof for libel and slander charges is much higher here than, say, in the UK.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#34  Postby Shrunk » Jul 16, 2012 5:18 pm

zulumoose wrote:If the church is claiming that they were specifically accused of knowingly putting children at risk, then I guess that they are following the right course. Such accusations must be answered, and it puts them in a better light if that is what they are doing.

However, since they are the ones now accusing the blogger of such actions, it means the burden of proof is now on them, and since when did churches ever properly understand the concept of burden of proof?

Yeah, I'm still trying to make sense of the various accounts of this case, and failing. One possibility: Some disgruntled former church-member actually did make a malicious accusation of child endangerment to the police, and the church is assuming that the blogger was part of this and therefore is guilty of making this accusation in her blog, even though her blog makes no mention of it. The response that Metatron received includes passages that are supposed to be direct quotes from the blog, but which do not come up in a search. :scratch:
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs