Benjamin Netanyahu Gives U.N. The Silent Treatment

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Benjamin Netanyahu Gives U.N. The Silent Treatment

#501  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Oct 21, 2015 2:37 pm

That cant be true...it just can't. I refuse to accept it.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#502  Postby proudfootz » Oct 21, 2015 3:28 pm

Spearthrower wrote:http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-34594563

Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has been criticised for saying a Palestinian leader persuaded the Nazis to carry out the Holocaust.

Mr Netanyahu insisted Adolf Hitler had only wanted to expel Jews from Europe, but that Grand Mufti of Jerusalem Haj Amin al-Husseini told him: "Burn them."

This man is a loon.

If Holocaust denial is forbidden in some states, then surely so should revisionist shifting of the blame be.

Yikes! The lengths some people will go to let Hitler off the hook. :nono:
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#503  Postby proudfootz » Oct 21, 2015 3:37 pm

DarthHelmet86 wrote:That cant be true...it just can't. I refuse to accept it.

It looks like it's real.

Benjamin Netanyahu has publicly asserted that Adolf Hitler had no intention of exterminating Europe’s Jews until a Palestinian persuaded him to do it.

The Israeli prime minister’s attempt to whitewash Hitler and lay the blame for the Holocaust at the door of Palestinians signals a major escalation of his incitement against and demonization of the people living under his country’s military and settler-colonial rule.

It also involves a good deal of Holocaust denial.

In a speech to the World Zionist Congress in Jerusalem on Tuesday, Netanyahu asserted that Haj Amin al-Husseini convinced Hitler to carry out the killings of 6 million Jews.

Al-Husseini was the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem, the highest clerical authority dealing with religious issues pertaining to the Muslim community and holy sites during the 1920s and ‘30s, when Palestine was under British rule.

He was appointed to the role by Herbert Samuel, the avowed Zionist who was the first British High Commissioner of Palestine.

In the video above, Netanyahu claims that al-Husseini “had a central role in fomenting the final solution. He flew to Berlin. Hitler didn’t want to exterminate the Jews at the time, he wanted to expel the Jews. And Haj Amin al-Husseini went to Hitler and said, ‘If you expel them, they’ll all come here.’ ‘So what should I do with them?’ he asked. ‘Burn them!’”

There is no record of such a conversation whatsoever, and Netanyahu provides no evidence that it ever took place.

The Mufti did meet Hitler, once, but their 95-minute conversation took place on 28 November 1941. Husseini used it to try to secure the Führer’s support for Arab independence, as historian Philip Mattar explains in his book The Mufti of Jerusalem.

By then, Hitler’s plans to exterminate the Jews were already well under way.

<article linked below>

https://electronicintifada.net/blogs/al ... ash-hitler
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#504  Postby HughMcB » Oct 21, 2015 9:16 pm

Spearthrower wrote:If Holocaust denial is forbidden in some states, then surely so should revisionist shifting of the blame be.

Agreed!
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#505  Postby Nicko » Oct 22, 2015 4:41 am

Spearthrower wrote:http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-34594563

Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has been criticised for saying a Palestinian leader persuaded the Nazis to carry out the Holocaust.

Mr Netanyahu insisted Adolf Hitler had only wanted to expel Jews from Europe, but that Grand Mufti of Jerusalem Haj Amin al-Husseini told him: "Burn them."

This man is a loon.

If Holocaust denial is forbidden in some states, then surely so should revisionist shifting of the blame be.

Israel has been in the business of likening the Palestinians to Nazis for quite some time now. Not really that much of a leap from that to the "theory" that they are Nazis.

It is actually true that it was originally official Nazi policy that Jewish people would be relocated rather than murdered (Madagascar was the plan I think). There's some debate as to whether this policy changed during the war, or whether the Holocaust was always their real plan.

What is beyond question is that the notion that one of history's most notorious racists - a man who believed in "Aryan" supremacy to the extent that he expressed doubt that Slavs were actually human - based his policies on the opinions of a Palestinian Imam is patently absurd.

One of the primary reasons European Jews were already relocating to the Holy Land - even before explicit Nazi persecution began - was that the area was notable for its lack of anti-Semitism.
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Name: Nick Williams
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#506  Postby crank » Oct 22, 2015 6:54 am

There's a good piece in Haaretz, as far as I know one of the best [has some balance at least] Israeli newspapers:
Opposition Blasts Netanyahu for 'Distorting' Holocaust History

Israel's opposition head and Zionist Union leader Isaac Herzog strongly criticized Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Wednesday for the premier's claims that the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem, Haj Amin al-Husseini, was the one who planted the idea of the extermination of European Jewry in Adolf Hitler's mind.
"This is a dangerous historical distortion and I demand Netanyahu correct it immediately as it minimizes the Holocaust, Nazism and…Hitler's part in our people's terrible disaster," Herzog wrote on his Facebook page. He said Netanyahu's statement – which was made Tuesday in a speech before the World Zionist Congress in Jerusalem, plays into the hands of Holocaust deniers.

Is Nutnyahoo deranged, or maybe he's become blind to the obviousness of his lies? I've seen some pretty despicable BS coming out of the mouths of Israeli apologists, but this is way way the fuck off the chart. Maybe they're getting desperate with the Palestinians joining the International Court. Do a little googling and you can find all kinds of hysterics over that.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#507  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Oct 22, 2015 8:35 am

crank wrote:There's a good piece in Haaretz, as far as I know one of the best [has some balance at least] Israeli newspapers:
Opposition Blasts Netanyahu for 'Distorting' Holocaust History

Israel's opposition head and Zionist Union leader Isaac Herzog strongly criticized Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Wednesday for the premier's claims that the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem, Haj Amin al-Husseini, was the one who planted the idea of the extermination of European Jewry in Adolf Hitler's mind.
"This is a dangerous historical distortion and I demand Netanyahu correct it immediately as it minimizes the Holocaust, Nazism and…Hitler's part in our people's terrible disaster," Herzog wrote on his Facebook page. He said Netanyahu's statement – which was made Tuesday in a speech before the World Zionist Congress in Jerusalem, plays into the hands of Holocaust deniers.

Is Nutnyahoo deranged, or maybe he's become blind to the obviousness of his lies? I've seen some pretty despicable BS coming out of the mouths of Israeli apologists, but this is way way the fuck off the chart. Maybe they're getting desperate with the Palestinians joining the International Court. Do a little googling and you can find all kinds of hysterics over that.

The stupid bit about Herzog's outrage is that it's focussing on the wrong issue, making it all about Hitler and the Holocaust, instead of dishonestly and incorrectly identifying current people as Nazis.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#508  Postby Nicko » Oct 22, 2015 12:31 pm

"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Name: Nick Williams
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#509  Postby crank » Oct 23, 2015 4:33 pm

Max Blumenthal on RealNews has an interesting perspective, and brings up some higly relevant facts.

“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#510  Postby Saim » Oct 25, 2015 12:16 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
Arjan Dirkse wrote:
Sendraks wrote:

I confess I missed the bit in the history books where the conquering Polish forces marched into Germany at the end of WWII and forcibly annexed portions of that nation's land.

Totally passed me by it did. ;)

Something like that did happen though, although it wasn't the Polish that did the marching, the land was occupied by the Soviet army. The Soviets annexed a part of what was formerly Eastern Poland into the Soviet Union. Then part of Eastern Germany was taken and added to the new Polish state, and the German population forcibly expelled. Basically Poland shifted a few hundred kilometers to the West. Germany only accepted this as a permanent situation in the 1990s.

There is a superficial similarity with how Israel occupies arts of the West Bank, yet that doesn't make it acceptable. Nor is it really comparable, even with the territorial loss Germany was still the largest country in Europe.

edit: I didn't see your post on this Nicko, thanks for pointing out that the UN didn't exist yet at that point in time

The lands were all contested for centuries - Danzig, for example, was known as Gdansk going back hundreds of years to Pommeranian Poland when they took it from the Teutonic Order. In the century or so prior to the 2nd world war, it has been annexed by Russia and by Prussia, and spent some time as a free city.

This has no analogy whatsoever to Israel & Palestine.

Edit: my mistake - it was actually Polish territory prior even to Teutonic Order:

960-992 CE

I'm not trying to defend Israel or anything but I think that the "resettlement" of Germans throughout Eastern Europe after WWII was definitely a crime against humanity.

Gdańsk was mostly inhabited by Kashubians (neither Germans nor Poles), there was a German minority but it's not historically a German settlement. Upper Silesia is another similar situation, it was inhabited (and still is inhabited) by Silesians who are closer to Poles than to any other ethnic group but aren't 100% the same as Poles.

Lower Silesia and most of Eastern Prussia, on the other hand, had pretty clear German majorities for centuries and their expulsion was totally criminal, a form of collective punishment enacted as revenge for Germany's actions in WWII. The same can be said of Stalin deporting Volga Germans to Kazakhstan, Tito kicking Germans out of Vojvodina or Sudetenland being emptied of its original population.

I've visited some of these areas - namely Inđija (a formerly German-majority town in northern Serbia) and Wrocław (Lower Silesia). In Inđija half of the Serbs you meet there are Bosnian-Serb refugees who moved there in the 90s, whereas in Wrocław loads of people are descended from ethnic Poles who were kicked out of the area between Krakow and Lviv by Ukrainian fascists. That should give you some kind of indication of the problem with these kinds of population transfers.
Saim

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs