Boy, 12, dies after being shot in the stomach by cops

for 'waving around' BB gun in play area

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Boy, 12, dies after being shot in the stomach by cops

#701  Postby Gnu Ordure » Jan 06, 2016 8:18 pm

Sendraks wrote:
Gnu Ordure wrote:
Well, I don't agree. I think that people should acknowledge their mistakes as soon as possible, apologize and take the consequences. That's what people with integrity do.

Agreed. Case in point the NHS, where over the last 15 years, there has been a real industry of policy to get NHS employees at all levels to be open with patients and the public about mistakes. It is the right thing to do.

Well, quite, Sendraks. As it happens, I retired last year after working in the NHS for twenty years as a psychotherapist/counsellor in Primary Care, and that is what we were taught to do.

People can forgive honest mistakes, because we know that people aren't perfect. It's more difficult to forgive cover-ups and lies about mistakes, because they cause more unnecessary pain to the victims.
Gnu Ordure

Male

Print view this post

#702  Postby Teague » Jan 07, 2016 1:03 pm

Gnu Ordure wrote:
Oldskeptic wrote:
Xaihe wrote:

The park was empty, except for the kid, was it not?

Was it? I don't know that it was empty, how do you?

Noble's report said: "There is no evidence that anyone other than Tamir was in the park at the time the officers arrived".

However, I found another video which clearly shows other people nearby. This obviously wasn't available to Noble:

Oldskeptic wrote
Gnu Ordure wrote:
If you read the reports previously cited, you'll see that the boy wasn't doing anything when the police arrived (so there was nothing for him to 'stop' doing), and the police never said anything to him, and he didn't reach for his waist band.

Well, that's really the only question with any relevance, isn't it? What did Rice do when the police car pulled up? Looking at this from minute 8:30 on it looks to me like Rice got up from the table when he saw the patrol car coming, walked towards where it would be, at 8:38 reached for his waist band and gun, and by 8:39 had his gun out and was shot.

The experts had access to an enhanced video, which we don't. So I'm reluctant to definitively state what happened based on that video.

But you could try comparing what you see there with the officers' November 2015 statements. Garmback's here:

http://www.courthousenews.com/2015/12/02/garmback.pdf

And Loehmann's here:

http://prosecutor.cuyahogacounty.us/pdf ... tement.pdf

As I said before, I don't know why or under what circumstances the officers made those statements a year after the events.

The video shows a couple walking away, not particularly near to Tamir. The other notable thing is that they obviously aren't running away in a panic. They are walking calmly so they didn't seem to feel like they were in any danger. In actual proximity to Tamir there is nobody.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#703  Postby Sendraks » Jan 07, 2016 1:10 pm

Teague wrote:The video shows a couple walking away, not particularly near to Tamir. The other notable thing is that they obviously aren't running away in a panic. They are walking calmly so they didn't seem to feel like they were in any danger. In actual proximity to Tamir there is nobody.

Playing devils advocate, maybe they're not trying to show alarm because they think if they run or do something to attract Tamir's attention, they'll be shot?

I don't want to get on the wrong side of you here and get you thinking that for one moment I think what the cops did was anything other than murder, but I'd just want to caution against reading too much into behaviours from video footage.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#704  Postby Teague » Jan 07, 2016 1:51 pm

It could be but I think the footage of before the the police showed (the original tape) up had people walking around seemingly unconcerned too? We can't tell what the 2 in the above video are thinking but I think that the claim "There were people in the park near him" is a little disingenuous.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#705  Postby Sendraks » Jan 07, 2016 2:06 pm

Teague wrote: We can't tell what the 2 in the above video are thinking but I think that the claim "There were people in the park near him" is a little disingenuous.

It is pretty clear to everyone, other than those who want to defend the cops, that the evidence shows no one was near Tamir and no one was in any sort of immediate danger from him. The cops actions are woefully inconsistent with "good policing."

If they were attempting to replicate a gang style murder, they did pretty well.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#706  Postby Teague » Jan 08, 2016 11:29 am

Another point that came up on YT - Tamir had the toy gun in his pants so presumably, even if it had an orange cap on the end of it this wouldn't have been visible and he would still be dead today. One could argue that it wouldn't have been called in but it still could have been and as we know from the dispatcher, vital information was left out of the call.

I wonder how people would view this if the orange cap was on toy gun.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#707  Postby crank » Jan 08, 2016 1:41 pm

For the cops to be in danger would be to imply that the person sitting calmly on the park bench, upon seeing cops drive up aggressively as they did, stood up and walked towards them and was going to shoot them down in cold blood. Does anyone think Tamir was planning on doing this? Especially considering it was a BB gun? Could it be more likely he walked towards them with the idea he should show the gun to them so they'd know it was a bb gun? Or maybe a 12 year old committed 'suicide by cop'? Sure, the cops don't know it's a kid with a toy, but then they showed no interest in determining what the real situation was. Whatever the fuck happened, it happened because the cops didn't want to bother with trying to handle the situation in a way to minimize the risk to this person.

In a related matter, the cop who arrested and assaulted Sandra Bland after a bogus stop has been indicted for lying to the grand jury, which appears to be a more serious crime than assaulting a young lady. Unfortunately, it's not a felony
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#708  Postby Teague » Mar 17, 2016 5:34 pm

Big Wins for Black Lives Matter

The prosecutors in the Tamir Rice and Laquan McDonald cases lose their primary races.

On Tuesday night, two major Midwestern prosecutors lost their jobs after provoking nationwide rage with their handling of cases in which police officers killed unarmed young black people. In Illinois, the loser was Cook County state’s attorney Anita Alvarez, who waited 13 months to bring charges against the Chicago police officer who shot Laquan McDonald 16 times in October 2014. In Ohio, it was Cuyahoga County district attorney Tim McGinty, who oversaw grand jury proceedings that led to no charges being filed against the officers responsible for the death of 12-year-old Tamir Rice.

Together the two results represent a major victory for the Black Lives Matter movement, whose organizers have now decisively demonstrated their ability to mobilize voters and change the direction of local politics. And while these two races were, technically, only Democratic primaries, the two candidates who won them are expected to take office with minimal or nonexistent opposition after the fall’s general election.

It’s rare for incumbent prosecutors to be voted out of office. According to one study, they win re-election 95 percent of the time, and typically they run unopposed. This is in part because most voters just don’t pay attention to prosecutor races, and usually don’t have a vivid sense of the office’s powers. As one local district attorney told me last year after completing a successful campaign, “Most people don’t know what the district attorney does.” In Cook and Cuyahoga counties on Tuesday, Democratic primary voters clearly had stronger opinions than usual about the work of their prosecutors—and they decided that they didn’t want Anita Alvarez or Tim McGinty doing the job anymore.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... imary.html

Good riddance to scum.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#709  Postby NamelessFaceless » Mar 17, 2016 7:28 pm

:clap:
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post