Coalition for Marriage

Serious flaws in anti-gay C4M petition

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Coalition for Marriage

#121  Postby Panderos » Apr 10, 2012 1:49 pm

@UE what do you make of the argument that children are often better off being raised by gay couples because gay couples never have a child by accident - they have to really really try to have one. Compare that with the 50% accidental pregnancy rate with straight couples.

Furthermore, the choice is never between a straight and gay couple. All children raised by gay couples have already been given up for adoption by their biological parents, and there are simply not suitable enough straight parents to adopt them all. So on a macroscopic scale the choice is between temporary foster care, and a permanent home with a gay couple.

Last of all, nobody is suggesting we take away kids from single parents. Does the addition of another mother or father result in a worse upbringing?
"A witty saying proves nothing." - Voltaire
Panderos

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#122  Postby trubble76 » Apr 10, 2012 2:15 pm

Tails Turrosaki wrote:UndercoverElephant, even I don't do the whole GAY PRIEd!!!111 thing. I hate most gays, actually, so I'm more homophobic than you ought to be.

But that is just...wow. Pretty, um...ridiculous, to say the least.

I think of it in terms of 3-D movies. Overrated. Who cares? 3-D is just an illusion what's the big deal so what? You can watch a 2-D movie it's the same thing.
But 3-D will get us somewhere. 3-D will soon evolve into REAL 3-D life with visuals to look at in all angles of a room and soon we'll be enveloped in this new world of glorious holograms and fantastic realism...

That's what this is like. Gay marriage. So what? Who cares? It's just marriage. You can get a civil partnership it's the same thing.
But marriage will get us somewhere.

It's not so much for the sake of marriage but it's the implication of marriage. It's saying that we are equal.

Also, tradition is never a reason for anything political. Come on. That's just being sentimental. Might as well complain about the new Pokemon generations because EVERYTHIN AFTR RED IZNT GUD!11!!

It's also like saying the blacks had water fountains, too. They were right next to the white fountains, but they weren't the white's fountains. But it's the same thing who cares? Segregation? Please, everyone's equal here!... Equally segregated.

You hate most gays? Why? What about them do you hate, is it their gayness? If so, then why don't you hate all of the gays?
There's quite a few gay people on this forum, perhaps you would like to be specific about what you find so worthy of hate?

I usually find that people with such strong feelings have, umm, strong feelings. ;)
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#123  Postby Nostalgia » Apr 10, 2012 2:22 pm

Tails is gay trubble. So I guess he's allowed to say that. Kind of like how black people are allowed to say "nigger". :shifty: :dunno:
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#124  Postby Panderos » Apr 10, 2012 2:24 pm

trubble76 wrote:
Tails Turrosaki wrote:UndercoverElephant, even I don't do the whole GAY PRIEd!!!111 thing. I hate most gays, actually, so I'm more homophobic than you ought to be.

You hate most gays? Why? What about them do you hate, is it their gayness? If so, then why don't you hate all of the gays?
There's quite a few gay people on this forum, perhaps you would like to be specific about what you find so worthy of hate?

I usually find that people with such strong feelings have, umm, strong feelings. ;)

Not that this makes his hate any more understandable, but...

Tails Turrosaki wrote:Hi. I'm Kevin.

I'm 16, I love to draw, I occasionally like to discuss controversial things, I'm an atheist, definitely secular, I'm gay, I try my best not to flaunt my gayness, I hate a lot of things, I'm cynical, I'm lazy as hell, and I try my best to not care about appearances outside of clothes...not to say I'm fashion forward (definitely not).
"A witty saying proves nothing." - Voltaire
Panderos

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#125  Postby UndercoverElephant » Apr 10, 2012 2:42 pm

purplerat wrote:Once again UndercoverElephant, your own words present a very sensible argument against the position you've taken.

UndercoverElephant wrote:The institution of marriage was always about procreation.

UndercoverElephant wrote:I didn't want children, because of the overpopulation problem

UndercoverElephant wrote:
We most certainly haven't reached the end of cultural evolution (at least I hope not, because if so we're probably going to end up extinct.) I'm no Francis Fukuyama! There's plenty needs to change. I just don't think expanding the concept of marriage to cover homosexual civil partnerships is a sensible way forwards.

The greatest threat to our species is overpopulation and that threat is rapidly increasing. The best answer to that threat is to shift the primary focus of adult relationships away from procreation. You seem to acknowledge as much in your posts, yet for some reason you're still dead set on holding onto a destructive idea apparently just to keep gays from getting married.

I don't believe that the introduction of gay marriage would make any difference to the birth rate.
UndercoverElephant

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#126  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Apr 10, 2012 2:42 pm

Panderos wrote:
trubble76 wrote:

Not that this makes his hate any more understandable, but...

Tails Turrosaki wrote:Hi. I'm Kevin.

I'm 16, I love to draw, I occasionally like to discuss controversial things, I'm an atheist, definitely secular, I'm gay, I try my best not to flaunt my gayness, I hate a lot of things, I'm cynical, I'm lazy as hell, and I try my best to not care about appearances outside of clothes...not to say I'm fashion forward (definitely not).

It seems to me to be a case of angst-iritus...
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#127  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Apr 10, 2012 2:43 pm

purplerat wrote:Once again UndercoverElephant, your own words present a very sensible argument against the position you've taken.

UndercoverElephant wrote:The institution of marriage was always about procreation.

UndercoverElephant wrote:I didn't want children, because of the overpopulation problem

We most certainly haven't reached the end of cultural evolution (at least I hope not, because if so we're probably going to end up extinct.) I'm no Francis Fukuyama! There's plenty needs to change. I just don't think expanding the concept of marriage to cover homosexual civil partnerships is a sensible way forwards.

The greatest threat to our species is overpopulation and that threat is rapidly increasing. The best answer to that threat is to shift the primary focus of adult relationships away from procreation. You seem to acknowledge as much in your posts, yet for some reason you're still dead set on holding onto a destructive idea apparently just to keep gays from getting married.

I don't believe that the introduction of gay marriage would make any difference to the birth rate.

Now would it increase the overpopulation problem, so you still haven't provided any rational arguments against it. :coffee:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#128  Postby UndercoverElephant » Apr 10, 2012 2:46 pm

CookieJon wrote:Why is the equivalent of gay marriage - and not marriage itself - "the way it should be" according to UndercoverElephant?

Civil Partnerships.

Most of your bad-tempered post has been ignored.
UndercoverElephant

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#129  Postby UndercoverElephant » Apr 10, 2012 2:47 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
I live in a democracy and will abide by the will of that democracy. If enough people share my opinion, the law will not be changed. If they don't, it will.

So you think human rights should be left up to popular vote? That does explain a lot actually.

Do you have a better suggestion than democracy?

Democracy sucks, but I know of no other system that doesn't suck worse.
UndercoverElephant

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#130  Postby UndercoverElephant » Apr 10, 2012 2:50 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Wrong. The burden of proof is on you, and the other people who are claiming homosexuality is an adaption even though there is not one jot of evidence to support such a claim. :)

1. I never made that claim.
2. You on the other hand DID claim it is a spandrel, so regardless of any claims I might make you still have the burden to prove homosexuality is a spandrel,

If no reason has been found to support the claim that something is an adaptation driven by natural selection, we should assume it is a spandrel. If you don't understand why this is, then please re-read the article I linked to.

Looks like a spandrel, quacks like a spandrel....probably it's a spandrel.

UndercoverElephant wrote:Many spandrels are not negative to survival. THIS spandrel is negative to reproductive fitness, but persists. Spandrels are like that...

Showing you still do not understand that evolution is based on the reproduction of the species, not every single individual.
And you still haven't provided any evidence that homosexuality is a spandrel, go ahead keep asserting it is, it won't make it so. :naughty:

I don't have to, and if you understood what you are talking about, you'd know why.
UndercoverElephant

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#131  Postby purplerat » Apr 10, 2012 2:51 pm

The point is not to justify gay marriage but rather to invalidate your objection. Shifting cultural ideas about marriage away from being about procreation would (and has) make a difference in birth rate. If marriage is no longer about procreation then your objection is nullified.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#132  Postby Shrunk » Apr 10, 2012 2:53 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
I live in a democracy and will abide by the will of that democracy. If enough people share my opinion, the law will not be changed. If they don't, it will.

So you think human rights should be left up to popular vote? That does explain a lot actually.

Democracy does not equal "popular vote". Popular vote without the principal of minority rights, which are not contingent on the will of the majority, is not a democracy. It's mob rule.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#133  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Apr 10, 2012 2:54 pm

CookieJon wrote:Why is the equivalent of gay marriage - and not marriage itself - "the way it should be" according to UndercoverElephant?

Civil Partnerships.

Do not grant the same rights and as has been explained to you several times is still discrimination based on name difference.
You have failed to answer the question of why it should be like this.

UndercoverElephant wrote:Most of your bad-tempered post has been ignored.

Translation: I cannot refute the points you made so I try to make them go away by dismissing them out of hand.
Very honest of you :yuk:
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#134  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Apr 10, 2012 2:55 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:

Well if you'd actually read my post you'd know there's this little concept known as the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, which cannot be voted on. But it seems you are willing to abandon that for a plutocracy.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#135  Postby Shrunk » Apr 10, 2012 2:56 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Wrong. The burden of proof is on you, and the other people who are claiming homosexuality is an adaption even though there is not one jot of evidence to support such a claim. :)

2. You on the other hand DID claim it is a spandrel, so regardless of any claims I might make you still have the burden to prove homosexuality is a spandrel,

If no reason has been found to support the claim that something is an adaptation driven by natural selection, we should assume it is a spandrel. If you don't understand why this is, then please re-read the article I linked to.

Whether or not your claim is correct, what is its relevance? Is a spandrel any less the result of genetic inheritance and evolutionary forces than "adaptive" traits?
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#136  Postby UndercoverElephant » Apr 10, 2012 2:58 pm

Panderos wrote:@[color=#CC0000][b]UE[/b][/color] what do you make of the argument that children are often better off being raised by gay couples because gay couples never have a child by accident - they have to really really try to have one. Compare that with the 50% accidental pregnancy rate with straight couples.

It may well be the case that they want to have children just as badly as straight couples with fertility problems, but it makes no difference to what I said about the ideal environment for rearing children. Men and women are different, and the difference is important. It is also important for a child to experience the interactions between their male and female parents.

Furthermore, the choice is never between a straight and gay couple. All children raised by gay couples have already been given up for adoption by their biological parents, and there are simply not suitable enough straight parents to adopt them all. So on a macroscopic scale the choice is between temporary foster care, and a permanent home with a gay couple.

Last of all, nobody is suggesting we take away kids from single parents. Does the addition of another mother or father result in a worse upbringing?

I speak as a person whose parents stayed together when they should have got divorced. My father provided money, but he failed badly in his role as a husband and a father, and ended up doing more damage than if he'd just not been there.

Every case is different.
UndercoverElephant

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#137  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Apr 10, 2012 2:59 pm

If no reason has been found to support the claim that something is an adaptation driven by natural selection, we should assume it is a spandrel.

Ehm no. Just like we don't need to assume a god when we cannot explain something. Furthermore you haven't shown how homosexuality cannot be adaptation driven by natural selection. Finally you've failed to show homosexuality is any less real if it is biological but still inherent by-product.

UndercoverElephant wrote:Looks like a spandrel, quacks like a spandrel....probably it's a spandrel.

Looks like a baseless assertions, quacks like a baseless assertion, guess what, it is a baseless assertion.

I don't have to, and if you understood what you are talking about, you'd know why.

Still waiting for you to prove it's a spandrel and how this is relevant to the discussion of gay marriage. :coffee:
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#138  Postby UndercoverElephant » Apr 10, 2012 3:00 pm

Shrunk wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:

Democracy does not equal "popular vote". Popular vote without the principal of minority rights, which are not contingent on the will of the majority, is not a democracy. It's mob rule.

Well, I'm not suggesting mob rule. I said I live in a democracy, and will abide by its decisions (so long as I don't think democracy is being usurped, as it is by the banks.)
UndercoverElephant

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#139  Postby UndercoverElephant » Apr 10, 2012 3:02 pm

Shrunk wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:

Whether or not your claim is correct, what is its relevance? Is a spandrel any less the result of genetic inheritance and evolutionary forces than "adaptive" traits?

It is part of our genetic inheritance, yes. It is relevant only if people start claiming it is not a spandrel (i.e. that it is useful for something.) The conversation about spandrels came about after Panderos starting exploring the issue of evolutionay psychological explanations for homophobia.
UndercoverElephant

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#140  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Apr 10, 2012 3:02 pm

It may well be the case that they want to have children just as badly as straight couples with fertility problems, but it makes no difference to what I said about the ideal environment for rearing children. Men and women are different, and the difference is important. It is also important for a child to experience the interactions between their male and female parents.

Yes because the only male and female rolmodels in the life of a child are his parents. :nono:
More-over you keep bringing up this 'ideal family' fantasy while I've already show you this is not what the evidence states.
Once again all you have are baseless and factually flawed assertions.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs