Conflict in Burma

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Conflict in Burma

#1  Postby Greg the Grouper » Mar 22, 2022 10:54 am

So Reuters has written an article about an ASEAN Peace Convoy looking to have peace talks with the Burmese military and possibly the NLD. It mentions towards the end that the US would officially declare the military's actions as crimes against humanity, and the Associated Press has come out with an article stating that this did in fact happen yesterday.

Honestly, my main concern is what the point of this peace convoy is, cause I doubt it'll actually work. If the military was willing to cede power, I don't think Myanmar would be in its current situation, and from the (frankly limited) information I have on this conflict, the pro democracy rebels aren't really willing to give up their own aims for the sake of a tenuous peace.

Is there something I'm missing here? Does ASEAN have some ability to cow the military?

Edit: Today I learned how to post a link!
The evolution of intelligence has gone beyond the restrains of biological individual generations.
Greg the Grouper

Name: Patrick

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Conflict in Burma

#2  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 22, 2022 3:49 pm

The military junta tends to listen slightly more to its immediate neighbours for all the expected reasons, predominantly trade and legitimacy. Also, it doesn't hurt that there are other military juntas in ASEAN area who have a softer international image (*cough* Thailand *cough*).

But yeah, the fuckers aren't about to give up power now, not least because the atrocities they've committed means that loss of their own power could well result in them receiving the same kind of attentions.

ASEAN's tend to be just as business/trade oriented as Western nations, so business as usual is probably the most desired outcome here - a few platitudes, some promises that no one will expect to be kept, handshakes for pictures all round, and back to business where possible.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs