Donald Trump for President!

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Donald Trump for President!

#1861  Postby Briton » May 18, 2016 1:13 pm

DougC wrote:Two men with silly hair and an atomic button!

Don't forget Boris...it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he could be PM. They could have three way talks and a mad barnet convention.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#1862  Postby Teague » May 20, 2016 12:40 pm

LOL nice compilation of hypocrisy...
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1863  Postby DougC » May 21, 2016 12:22 am

B.B.C. - Donald Trump says he has been asked to visit Downing Street
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1864  Postby Byron » May 21, 2016 5:10 am

purplerat wrote:From those I know typical blue collar rank and file union members have been swinging towards the GOP long before this election. I don't see much of an impact coming from there. These guys weren't exactly tripping over themselves to vote for Obama either.

Yeah, and it's a damning indictment of the DNC that the party allowed it to happen.

Blue collar workers and unions are the party's natural base, yet they've been abandoned, thrown to the wolves of neoliberalism by a coalition of career politicians interested only in power, and limousine liberals insulated from its effects by family and personal wealth. The GOP launched a culture war, and the Dem boss class committed the tactical sin of letting their opponents choose the battlefield.

Now the culture wars have been fought to a standstill, what are the Dems for? Identity politics? For hundreds of millions, a secondary concern at best; at worst, an irrelevance. What else? A different flavor of big government, perhaps, or slightly tamer foreign warfare than the neocons. Regardless, the economic scorched earth of rampant neoliberalism continues, and so long as it does, its victims will look elsewhere.
I don't believe in the no-win scenario.
Kirk, Enterprise

Ms. Lovelace © Ms. Padua, resident of 2D Goggles
Byron

Male

Print view this post

#1865  Postby purplerat » May 21, 2016 5:16 am

Id say its because unionized labor is just not that relevant any more. At least in terms of votes. The money might be but voting demographics are shifting away from unionized workers. Especially for unskilled labor from where i see the biggest shift towards (R).
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1866  Postby Byron » May 21, 2016 5:30 am

Sure, 'cause many unions have been broken, whether by the decline of old union strongholds of manufacturing and heavy industry, or "right to work" measures and other anti-union legislation.

Which leaves a whole bunch of exploited, angry workers, who the Dems should be rallying around a platform of jobs, workers' rights, and breaking the robber baron class; but who the party elite have instead abandoned, leaving the way clear for Trump's demagoguery.

It's the economy, always, the economy. Trump acknowledges the problem and promises jobs, prosperity, and protectionism: Clinton ignores it and squawks on about identity politics, or, when pushed by Sanders, offers some blatantly insincere platitudes. Little wonder the Donald is set to clean her clock.
Kirk, Enterprise

Byron

Male

Print view this post

#1867  Postby purplerat » May 21, 2016 5:40 am

Idk, i have hard time seeing a guy who tells american workers that they earn too much cleaning anybodies clock on the economy, particularly with the working class.

Obviously Clinton isnt strong on the economy against Sanders at least in campaigning but i expect she will pivot hard and fast on it once the nomination is locked up. Shes already doing that utilizing Bill. While trump is talking abouy his sex Clinton will be using his being a focal point to remind everybody what the economy was like when they were last in the white house.

And as you saipy its always the economy. Thats why nobody cared who bill fucked back then and i think trump will make a huge misstep in reminding the country about those days.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1868  Postby Byron » May 21, 2016 6:08 am

purplerat wrote:Idk, i have hard time seeing a guy who tells american workers that they earn too much cleaning anybodies clock on the economy, particularly with the working class. [...]

Oh, Trump's way past that now: he's promising prosperity while tapping the temporarily embarrassed millionaire reflex:-
I’m gonna make our country so competitive that people at minimum wage are going to escape the minimum wage – they are going to go up and they’re gonna make a lot of money and they’re gonna have companies and be involved with companies that are really successful where they can be paid more and more money.

No-one wants to be at the bottom of the ladder: Trump's promising millions of voters that they won't be, and once they're a few notches up, they can look down on those below them.
Kirk, Enterprise

Byron

Male

Print view this post

#1869  Postby purplerat » May 21, 2016 6:18 am

Trump is promising it. The Clintons have done it.

I think we'll be hearing a lot of exactly that over the next few months.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1870  Postby Agi Hammerthief » May 21, 2016 11:16 am

so Trump just flipped to kiss the NRA's behind...
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#1871  Postby Willie71 » May 21, 2016 3:11 pm

purplerat wrote:Idk, i have hard time seeing a guy who tells american workers that they earn too much cleaning anybodies clock on the economy, particularly with the working class.

Obviously Clinton isnt strong on the economy against Sanders at least in campaigning but i expect she will pivot hard and fast on it once the nomination is locked up. Shes already doing that utilizing Bill. While trump is talking abouy his sex Clinton will be using his being a focal point to remind everybody what the economy was like when they were last in the white house.

And as you saipy its always the economy. Thats why nobody cared who bill fucked back then and i think trump will make a huge misstep in reminding the country about those days.

Yup, Bill, the guy who brought NAFTA which did exactly the opposite of what was promised. Stupid move.
We should probably go for a can of vegetables because not only would it be a huge improvement, you'd also be able to eat it at the end.
Willie71

Name: Warren Krywko
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#1872  Postby Byron » May 22, 2016 5:07 am

purplerat wrote:Trump is promising it. The Clintons have done it.

They did what? Slick Willy was lucky enough to be Pres during a stock market bubble. It burst, as bubbles always do, and the deregulation he championed led to the '08 Financial Crisis.

Unless Hillary's gonna somehow engineer another boom, she's got no cause to dine out on the fleeting '90s success, an illusionary wave of speculation and credit that masked long-term industrial and manufacturing decline, and was promptly followed by a catastrophic increase in poverty, made worse by Bill's ruthless decision to end welfare as people knew it.

That this house of sand is trumpeted speaks volumes about the rise of Trumpery.
Kirk, Enterprise

Byron

Male

Print view this post

#1873  Postby Oldskeptic » May 23, 2016 1:30 am

Byron wrote:

They did what? Slick Willy was lucky enough to be Pres during a stock market bubble. It burst, as bubbles always do, and the deregulation he championed led to the '08 Financial Crisis.

Bill Jeff doesn't deserve any credit for any of the good things that happened during his presidency, but everything bad that happened during George junior's presidency is all the Clintons' fault. Interesting how that works for Republicans in denial and Bernie's supports just as well.
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#1874  Postby Thomas Eshuis » May 23, 2016 8:56 am

"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#1875  Postby purplerat » May 23, 2016 2:10 pm

Byron wrote:

Unless Hillary's gonna somehow engineer another boom, she's got no cause to dine out on the fleeting '90s success, an illusionary wave of speculation and credit that masked long-term industrial and manufacturing decline, and was promptly followed by a catastrophic increase in poverty, made worse by Bill's ruthless decision to end welfare as people knew it.

That this house of sand is trumpeted speaks volumes about the rise of Trumpery.

Whether they actually "did it" or not doesn't matter any more than if Trump can actually deliver on his promises. That's what they are going to campaign on and results tend to trump promises, even if both are in fact empty.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1876  Postby Willie71 » May 23, 2016 2:43 pm

Oldskeptic wrote:
Byron wrote:

Bill Jeff doesn't deserve any credit for any of the good things that happened during his presidency, but everything bad that happened during George junior's presidency is all the Clintons' fault. Interesting how that works for Republicans in denial and Bernie's supports just as well.

Analysis of the drivers of the economic boom have been identified, and many of them happened not because of Bill's policies, but independent of them. Bill did some good things, and some things that delivered short term prosperity at the expense of long term stability. Some of Bush's problems were started under Bill, but he continued on the same path. So did Obama for that matter. Obama did believe in stimulus more so than the republicans, which was helpful. There has been a consistent trend since Reagan. I think we should be critical of both republican and democrat presidents as they steer to the right.
We should probably go for a can of vegetables because not only would it be a huge improvement, you'd also be able to eat it at the end.
Willie71

Name: Warren Krywko
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#1877  Postby Macdoc » May 23, 2016 3:43 pm

FWIW from an unlikely source

MONDAY, MAY 23, 2016 06:00 AM EDT
Donald Trump is going to win: This is why Hillary Clinton can’t defeat what Trump represents
People are rising up against neoliberal globalization. Trump represents capital, but also understands this reality

http://www.salon.com/2016/05/23/donald_ ... epresents/
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#1878  Postby proudfootz » May 23, 2016 4:50 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:

Yes, a real clusterfuck - which is why one has to wonder what all the hoopla is for since obviously the actual voting is somewhat irrelevant to the results.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1879  Postby Teague » May 23, 2016 5:22 pm

Macdoc wrote:FWIW from an unlikely source

MONDAY, MAY 23, 2016 06:00 AM EDT
Donald Trump is going to win: This is why Hillary Clinton can’t defeat what Trump represents
People are rising up against neoliberal globalization. Trump represents capital, but also understands this reality

http://www.salon.com/2016/05/23/donald_ ... epresents/

Jesus in a balloon! How fucking ironic is it going to be if the Sanders revolution is made true by Trump because Sanders isn't going to run because Clinton's so far up her own ass fuck the country if she can't be the attention whore she wants to be.

It's going to be the anti-revolution - the one that's evil. This election should be Trump vs Sanders, good vs evil. If Sanders somehow gets the nomination this is going to make the next political movie epic because it'll be a true story and exciting.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1880  Postby Byron » May 23, 2016 11:23 pm

Oldskeptic wrote:Bill Jeff doesn't deserve any credit for any of the good things that happened during his presidency, but everything bad that happened during George junior's presidency is all the Clintons' fault. Interesting how that works for Republicans in denial and Bernie's supports just as well.

Never said anything of the kind: the executive's devotion to "voodoo economics" (neoliberalism) began with Reagan, and was continued enthusiastically by Dubya; both are just as blameworthy as Clinton.

I'll assume the straw man was inadvertent, and trust it won't be repeated. :)
Kirk, Enterprise

Byron

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs