Ebola outbreak

Real knowledge wanted

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Ebola outbreak

#101  Postby Mike_L » Oct 06, 2014 7:17 am

Man dies of Marburg fever in Uganda
2014-10-05

Kampala - A man has died in Uganda's capital after an outbreak of Marburg, a highly infectious haemorrhagic fever similar to Ebola, authorities said on Sunday, adding that a total of 80 people who came into contact with him had been put under quarantine.

Marburg starts with a severe headache followed by haemorrhaging and leads to death in 80% or more of cases in about nine days. It is from the same family of viruses as Ebola, which has killed thousands in West Africa in recent months.
CONTINUED
Full article at:
http://www.news24.com/Africa/News/Man-dies-of-Marburg-fever-in-Uganda-20141005
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#102  Postby Aca » Oct 06, 2014 8:44 am

Interesting read - Interview with a scientist who discovered & named the virus 4 decades ago

http://www.spiegel.de/international/wor ... 93111.html

Almost four decades ago, Peter Piot was part of the team that discovered the Ebola virus. In a SPIEGEL interview, he describes how the disease was isolated and explains why the current outbreak is different than any that have come before.
on an island marooned in the Middle Ages
Aca

Male

Malta (mt)
Print view this post

#103  Postby DougC » Oct 07, 2014 11:15 am

B.B.C. - Spain investigates new case
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#104  Postby kiore » Oct 07, 2014 12:33 pm

Mike_L wrote:
Man dies of Marburg fever in Uganda
2014-10-05

Kampala - A man has died in Uganda's capital after an outbreak of Marburg, a highly infectious haemorrhagic fever similar to Ebola, authorities said on Sunday, adding that a total of 80 people who came into contact with him had been put under quarantine.

Marburg starts with a severe headache followed by haemorrhaging and leads to death in 80% or more of cases in about nine days. It is from the same family of viruses as Ebola, which has killed thousands in West Africa in recent months.
CONTINUED
Full article at:
http://www.news24.com/Africa/News/Man-dies-of-Marburg-fever-in-Uganda-20141005

Marburg (MVD) in the same family as EVB and probably has a similar reservoir in the fruit bat population. The person first infected was brought in from an outlying area and died in Kampala on Sunday, I hear unofficially that 8 others may have died, although this not confirmed. MVD works a bit faster than EVD and has a similar mortality rate.
Folding@Home Team member.
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#105  Postby DougC » Oct 07, 2014 12:38 pm

kiore, how happy are you, too have left Africa?
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#106  Postby kiore » Oct 07, 2014 2:28 pm

DougC wrote:kiore, how happy are you, too have left Africa?

Still here.. have been delayed and due to go to Kampala on Sunday to visit embassy...
Anyway even when I go will be popping over to Sierra Leone every now and then to give a hand.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#107  Postby Peter Brown » Oct 07, 2014 3:29 pm

Apparently its all the Wests fault now.

I can't say how stay in your homes, don't steal infected patients and linin, don't spread it to others, required giant finances, but the West didn't pour in the cash and now is getting blamed by the great unwashed Russell Brand because they stop flights leaving.
Peter Brown

Print view this post

#108  Postby Peter Brown » Oct 07, 2014 3:34 pm

Mike_L wrote:Seems as though it's going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better...

oh way worse.. one dire possibility being that this is happening in mainly Muslim countries I heard was a few infected might mosey on down to Mecca on pilgrimage and have it go world wide from there.
Peter Brown

Print view this post

#109  Postby Corneel » Oct 07, 2014 4:25 pm

Peter Brown wrote:
Mike_L wrote:Seems as though it's going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better...

oh way worse.. one dire possibility being that this is happening in mainly Muslim countries I heard was a few infected might mosey on down to Mecca on pilgrimage and have it go world wide from there.

Of the three countries most hit by Ebola, only Guinea is predominantly muslim. And anyway the Saudis didn't accept any pilgrims from those countries for the Hajj this year.
"Damn it! Why am I arguing shit on the internet again!?"
"'cuz sometimes you just need a cumshot of stupid to the face?"

(from Something Positive)

The best movie theme ever

Ceterum censeo Praesidem Anguimanum esse demovendum
Corneel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#110  Postby laklak » Oct 07, 2014 5:26 pm

What's with the Spanish nurse, anyway? You'd think a nurse in Spain would understand basic isolation techniques. Is this just a stupid nurse, a breakdown in infection control procedures, or a transmission vector they're not being forthcoming about?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#111  Postby kiore » Oct 07, 2014 7:23 pm

laklak wrote:What's with the Spanish nurse, anyway? You'd think a nurse in Spain would understand basic isolation techniques. Is this just a stupid nurse, a breakdown in infection control procedures, or a transmission vector they're not being forthcoming about?

The person described as a Nurse is an auxiliary, involved in cleaning up, which is one of the more dangerous activities. Hard to say what happened and why they are investigating, perhaps a break in barrier protection at fault, I am currently teaching people to work in pairs, one doing and one watching for risks or breaks in protection. I do not think the early reports of the use of only level 2 protection sufficient for reasonable contact, however if they were cleaning up it is possible a fluid spill penetrated the level 2 suit which is splash resistant only.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#112  Postby Peter Brown » Oct 07, 2014 8:43 pm

I heard it might have been sub standard equipment. why am I not surprised, the ward I was on had a manager forever cutting out protocol as per manufacturer instructions to save a few pennies.
Peter Brown

Print view this post

#113  Postby kiore » Oct 07, 2014 9:29 pm

Peter Brown wrote:I heard it might have been sub standard equipment. why am I not surprised, the ward I was on had a manager forever cutting out protocol as per manufacturer instructions to save a few pennies.

Really the substandard equipment should not be the issue here, the level 2 equipment is good enough for most stuff (all we have) they were supposedly double gloving and taping and doing reasonable things.
More likely a breech in procedure where items not removed in the correct order and or followup washing done incorrectly, or alternately a fluid splash penetrating the barrier, these items are splash proof but will not resist soaking, and not being acted on.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#114  Postby kiore » Oct 07, 2014 9:32 pm

It is easy to break procedure.. Your goggles mist up and you touch your face to clear or adjust them, you discard items in the wrong order contaminating a clean layer.. Why as I said I am training staff to work in pairs to lessen these risks.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#115  Postby Acetone » Oct 08, 2014 1:59 am

DougC wrote:B.B.C. - Ebola death rates 70% - WHO study

Here's the paper for that study: http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1411100

The majority of patients are 15 to 44 years of age (49.9% male), and we estimate that the case fatality rate is 70.8% (95% confidence interval [CI], 69 to 73) among persons with known clinical outcome of infection.

Assuming no change in the control measures for this epidemic, by November 2, 2014, the cumulative reported numbers of confirmed and probable cases are predicted to be 5740 in Guinea, 9890 in Liberia, and 5000 in Sierra Leone, exceeding 20,000 in total.
Acetone

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#116  Postby Acetone » Oct 08, 2014 2:04 am

kiore, maybe you can spread some light on this:
Why are the laboratory confirmed cases for Liberia significantly lower (as a proportion of the estimated cases) than either Guinea or Sierra Leone?

There are even more confirmed deaths than confirmed cases, which does not make sense at all to me.
Acetone

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#117  Postby Jerome Da Gnome » Oct 08, 2014 2:32 am

We have it here at the local university. But we have also had the anthrax attack and the sniper, so life just goes on as normal.
The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience.
-Albert Camus
Jerome Da Gnome
Banned User

Name: Jerome

United States (us)
Print view this post

#118  Postby kiore » Oct 08, 2014 4:54 pm

Acetone wrote:kiore, maybe you can spread some light on this:
Why are the laboratory confirmed cases for Liberia significantly lower (as a proportion of the estimated cases) than either Guinea or Sierra Leone?

There are even more confirmed deaths than confirmed cases, which does not make sense at all to me.

I do not know for sure, but probably due to the testing being done disproportionately on well cases, those already dead or showing clear clinical signs will be assumed to be cases without lab tests. Really lab work a low priority in this setting, someone reporting a history and showing relevant symptoms during an epidemic will be a presumed case without the risk of taking samples.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#119  Postby kiore » Oct 08, 2014 5:26 pm

kiore wrote:It is easy to break procedure.. Your goggles mist up and you touch your face to clear or adjust them, you discard items in the wrong order contaminating a clean layer.. Why as I said I am training staff to work in pairs to lessen these risks.

BBC reporting she admits she may have touched her face and broken protocol on the order of removing protection.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-29539444
A doctor in Madrid says the Spanish nurse infected with Ebola remembers touching her face with her gloves after treating a dying priest

and
Ms Romero told the El Pais newspaper that she might have become infected when removing her protective suit after cleaning Mr Garcia Viejo's room.

"I think the error was the removal of the suit," she told El Pais by phone. "I can see the moment it may have happened, but I'm not sure about it."

As I noted failures such as these will occur even when using level 4 protection if the protection not used correctly. This is very hard stuff to do, I find myself hot and itchy and goggles fogging even after 5 minutes wearing level 2 gear.
Cleaning up after a fatality possibly the most dangerous activity to do in this situation.
When I was an undergrad we did a microbiology lecture where our fingers were dyed, then had to just not touch anything while listening to an hour long lecture, at the end of the lecture we were asked: "did you touch your face" almost everyone said no, while no one had clean faces, many had multiple finger prints around their eyes, nose and mouth. An excellent lesson I would recommend.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#120  Postby Mike_L » Oct 08, 2014 5:42 pm

The tragic case of Karen Wetterhahn comes to mind... not a virus, but dimethylmercury... a few drops on her gloved hand, the toxin penetrated the latex and her skin... and she died horribly. :nono:
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs