Elon Musk's next project ....

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Elon Musk's next project ....

#121  Postby The_Metatron » Jul 25, 2023 1:49 pm

Imagine how much the government of China likes their WeChat app.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#122  Postby Tortured_Genius » Jul 25, 2023 2:09 pm

Whilst I agree with jamest's comment on what Musk is aiming for (I've seem similar reporting as well) he's pretty much doomed it before he's even started. I'd have to be nuts use and rely on an all-in-one app that is controlled by someone with a reputation for capriciously downgrading, modifying or remonetising things on a whim.

As it is I'll continue to avoid anything associated with Musk if at all possible.
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#123  Postby The_Metatron » Jul 25, 2023 2:37 pm

Tortured_Genius wrote:Whilst I agree with jamest's comment on what Musk is aiming for (I've seem similar reporting as well) he's pretty much doomed it before he's even started. I'd have to be nuts use and rely on an all-in-one app that is controlled by someone with a reputation for capriciously downgrading, modifying or remonetising things on a whim.

As it is I'll continue to avoid anything associated with Musk if at all possible.

Yep. He has nothing I need.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#124  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Jul 25, 2023 2:37 pm

Tortured_Genius wrote:I'd have to be nuts use and rely on an all-in-one app that is controlled by someone with a reputation for capriciously downgrading, modifying or remonetising things on a whim.

apart from this practical perspective: The guy showed himself to be a bit of fascist.
So I‘ll avoid sending any money his way, whatever the product might be.
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#125  Postby Spearthrower » Jul 25, 2023 5:16 pm

I believe Musk has a much bigger game plan than most people realise.

Yeah, like I said.

... While Musk didn’t elaborate on what X would look like, many reckon he’s aspiring to replicate the success of WeChat, which over the past decade has virtually become the everything app in China. People use it to read the news, hail rides, book doctor’s appointments, pay taxes and carry out a myriad of other daily activities.

The type of everything apps that grew massively years ago and dominated the market with tonnes of local competition and subsequent varying anti-trust laws in numerous countries? And he's now going to do this globally while long established domestic competitors dominate their markets in practically every country?

Even at most forgiving of reading, it's not exactly visionary, is it? It's at best a late leap at the bandwagon.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#126  Postby Spearthrower » Jul 25, 2023 5:19 pm

I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#127  Postby Tortured_Genius » Jul 25, 2023 6:22 pm

Well it's now "confirmed" and obviously what he planned all along, which is why he laid off all those staff...

This couldn't possibly be another pump and dump scheme to inflate Ex-Twitter's share price and recoup some of his losses.

He wouldn't do that.
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#128  Postby jamest » Jul 26, 2023 1:22 am

All dystopian scenarios surely lead to a point whereby something similar to 'project X' sustains the status quo, but I cannot imagine that anyone other than the powers-that-be will be allowed to own and control it. I wonder if Musk is smart enough to have made contingency plans for that, but not for long, for as far as I can tell this guy is very clever. That doesn't mean that I like him or agree with his vision, but I kinda see where he might be taking this.

There's more to this guy than meets the eye. There are even many rumours that he is Satoshi Nakamoto. I don't know how crazy those rumours are, but he certainly likes crypto. Who knows, maybe he thinks that he can be the powers-that-be? ;)
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#129  Postby Spearthrower » Jul 26, 2023 4:14 am

You read it on the internet.

But yeah, this is a very common and false trope: he must be clever coz e's rich.

All these shenanigans have to be a masterful stroke of business perspicacity, not just the series of public bungles that have spooked investors and stunned business analysts.

After all, he's richer than them so...

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#130  Postby Alan C » Jul 26, 2023 7:53 am

and how much of his wealth did he lose again? Speaking of such, it seems such an oddity to me the notion of 'net-wealth', in my limited understanding these figures are well of excess of whatever amounts these pricks actually have in their bank accounts?
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#131  Postby THWOTH » Jul 26, 2023 9:08 am

People who luck-out economically are always convinced that luck had nothing to do with it.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#132  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Jul 26, 2023 11:01 am

THWOTH wrote:People who luck-out economically are always convinced that luck had nothing to do with it.

oh, I don‘t know about that. Are they really convinced of that? Or are they just good at convincing people that they are?

At least they consistently tell the story of the American Dream™
Probably because they are very aware that selling „the dream of hard working your way to the top“ is required for the worker drones to happily keep voting against their interests. Because one day they too are going to be at least a millionaire and don’t want their hard earned money taken away by greedy workers.

edit: spelling
Last edited by Agi Hammerthief on Jul 26, 2023 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#133  Postby THWOTH » Jul 26, 2023 12:43 pm

Steady on Agi - that sounds like commie talk.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#134  Postby Matt_B » Jul 27, 2023 12:08 am

I'm with George Carlin on the American Dream. I.e. you've got to be asleep to believe it.
"Last night was the most horrific for Kyiv since, just imagine, 1941 when it was attacked by Nazis."
- Sergiy Kyslytsya
Matt_B

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#135  Postby Alan C » Jul 28, 2023 9:04 pm

I'm finding this to be an enlightening read [still reading through it], it expanded on what I'd heard about him screwing up with PayPal.

https://every.to/p/twitter-s-future-is- ... usk-s-past

It seems to me people like him make money somehow in spite of their shortcomings not because of any actual relevant ability or knowledge. Just the ability to persuade and to ignore petty things like regulations or ethics.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#136  Postby Spearthrower » Jul 29, 2023 1:56 am

Rules are for peons.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#137  Postby Alan C » Aug 18, 2023 9:43 pm

Elmo's latest brainfart is to delete the Block feature, you know, so that people can't block nazis from doxxing them and minor things like that.

Never mind mind that the ability to block is a requirement of the App Store and Google Play.
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#138  Postby Seabass » Nov 15, 2023 11:37 pm

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire

"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Gazpacho Police

Print view this post

#139  Postby Alan C » Dec 01, 2023 9:18 pm

847d89ad82e8fca1.png
847d89ad82e8fca1.png (126.71 KiB) Viewed 265 times
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#140  Postby THWOTH » Dec 01, 2023 9:21 pm

lol
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs