Former Russian Spy "Critically Ill"

Shades of Litvinenko?

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Former Russian Spy "Critically Ill"

#761  Postby GrahamH » Sep 28, 2018 8:55 am

mrjonno wrote:Disagree, it really doesn't matter if the assassination succeeded or not, and why would Putin not want everyone to know he did it as long as they can't legally prove it in court (which you never can).

A bond villian to western eyes, a hardman to Russian

Except that the world see's a decorated major in the GRU acting like Johhny English, having failed to kill the dissident and accidentally killing an innocent man, blathering about clocks and steeples. This is not an image I would expect a supervillain would want to project to whole world, nor one to strike fear into the hearts of potential dissidents.

Use of exotic weapons like polonium and novichock makes sense if you want publicity, but then you should really make sure the assignation succeeds and you don't get caught in the act.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#762  Postby mrjonno » Sep 28, 2018 9:38 am

Putin crippled the guy and it came out of nowhere. Death (or near death) can strike at any time anywhere for enemies of the Tzar.

The world knows who did it and they can't protect you, so what if you survived you might not next time, hey maybe we will miss and kill your family instead. Accidents happen
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#764  Postby mrjonno » Sep 28, 2018 9:56 am

ronmcd wrote:Yeah, I think it's epic worldwide public trolling for the internet & 24hr news age.

Pretty much that is what it is but with added nerve gas goodness.

Russia could never hurt the West with its military now its destroying us with Facebook,

I do admire the pure evil genius of Putin while he has a country that trusts no one but him, we have a country where no one trusts anyone or anything
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#765  Postby GrahamH » Sep 28, 2018 10:50 am

mrjonno wrote:we have a country where no one trusts anyone or anything

You trust no one nor anything? I know you are the arch cynic but that's wild extremism.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#766  Postby mrjonno » Sep 28, 2018 11:01 am

GrahamH wrote:
mrjonno wrote:we have a country where no one trusts anyone or anything

You trust no one nor anything? I know you are the arch cynic but that's wild extremism.

It's always been Putin's plan, he doesnt need to be seen as trustworthy he just needs no one to be seen as trustworthy then he is an equal and get away with everything .

The reality is the second the British government said the Russian government launched a nerve agent attack on us that should have been the end of the discussion.

I don't like May but if she says we have been attacked we have been attacked, no arguments, no discussions. If you can't take your own governments word on security matter over our enemies like Putin we are fucked beyond all hope. The very fact there are so many posts here show that Putin has won
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#767  Postby GrahamH » Sep 28, 2018 11:13 am

mrjonno wrote:It's always been Putin's plan...

Oh really? You claim to know Putin's plans? :roll:

Well I don't trust him to be revealing his plans to the world so openly that mrjonno will know what they are.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#768  Postby Mike_L » Sep 28, 2018 1:58 pm

The BBC, a known purveyor of propaganda fakery, is at it again...

In his recent blog post, Craig Murray shows BBC misinformation at work...

The problem is with Bellingcat’s methodology. They did not start with any prior intelligence that “Chepiga” is “Boshirov”. They rather allegedly searched databases of GRU operatives of about the right age, then trawled photos in yearbooks of them until they found one that looked a bit like “Boshirov”. And guess what? It looks a bit like “Boshirov”. If you ignore the substantially different skull shape and nose.

Only the picture on the left is Chepiga. The two on the right are from “Boshirov’s” Russian passport application file, and the photo of “Boshirov” issued by Scotland Yard.

Like almost the entire internet, I assumed both black and white photos were from Chepiga’s files, and was willing to admit the identification of Chepiga with “Boshirov” as valid. But once you understand is that – as Bellingcat confirm if you read it closely – only the photo on the left is Chepiga, you start to ask questions.

The two guys on the right and the centre are undoubtedly the same person. But is the guy on the left the same, but younger?

Betaface.com, which runs industry standard software, gives the faces an 83% similarity, putting the probability of them being the same person at 2.8%.

By comparison it gives me a 72% identity with Chepiga and a 2.1% chance of being him.

Incredibly, at 13.15 on 27 September the BBC TV News ran the story showing only the two photos of “Boshirov”, which of course are the same person, and not showing the photo of Chepiga at all!

Show the two pictures that are acknowledged to be the same person, leaving out the photo of the alleged alter-ego... and claim to have proved the connection.

It's like saying...

This is Trump...

and this is Trump...

therefore this must also be Trump...

:roll:
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#769  Postby Thommo » Sep 28, 2018 2:08 pm

:lol:
Thommo

Print view this post

#770  Postby ronmcd » Sep 28, 2018 2:55 pm

Man, will we be made to look utter fools when the older "real" Chepiga appears in front of the cameras imminently.

I mean, he will, won't he?
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#771  Postby ronmcd » Sep 28, 2018 2:59 pm

Instant unscientific response to Craig Murray's "facial analysis" thing - the photo on the left his head is angled back to a degree, hence the squished double-chin like neck, and the fact we can see up his nostrils. The other two more angled straight. That changes the nose length argument, in all likelihood.

A little like Trump's two photos. Different noses, eyebrow shapes ... my god, ONE IS AN IMPOSTER!
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#772  Postby Hermit » Sep 28, 2018 3:10 pm

mrjonno wrote:If you can't take your own governments word on security matter over our enemies like Putin we are fucked beyond all hope.

Like governments never execute false flag events? Puumala? Mukden? Mainila? Gleiwitz? Project TP-Ajax? The Lavon Affair? Operation Northwoods? Tonkin?
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#773  Postby Thommo » Sep 28, 2018 3:43 pm

ronmcd wrote:Man, will we be made to look utter fools when the older "real" Chepiga appears in front of the cameras imminently.

Yeah, I'm bricking it. There's going to be egg all over our faces. :tehe:
Thommo

Print view this post

#774  Postby Mike_L » Sep 28, 2018 4:23 pm

ronmcd wrote:Man, will we be made to look utter fools when the older "real" Chepiga appears in front of the cameras imminently.

No, he won't. The real Chepiga was captured by MI6 and is being held in a "safe place" somewhere. His cell is probably adjacent to the ones occupied by Sergei and Yulia Skripal.

:shifty:
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#775  Postby ronmcd » Sep 28, 2018 4:39 pm

Mike_L wrote:

No, he won't. The real Chepiga was captured by MI6 and is being held in a "safe place" somewhere. His cell is probably adjacent to the ones occupied by Sergei and Yulia Skripal.

:shifty:

It's all so obvious.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#776  Postby Blip » Sep 30, 2018 12:25 pm

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
ronmcd, calling another member an idiot, as you’ve done in your post here, contravenes the Forum Users’ Agreement, specifically section 1.2e, which concerns inflammatory posting.

Please don’t address other members in this manner.
Evolving wrote:Blip, intrepid pilot of light aircraft and wrangler with alligators.
Blip

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#777  Postby ronmcd » Sep 30, 2018 9:46 pm

Craig ... adjusts his stance somewhat ...

DIS (UK Defence Intelligence) remain rather more attached to the truth than MI6, so when Defence Minister Gavin Williamson tweeted out a thrilled endorsement of Bellingcat’s work on Colonel Chepiga, DIS urgently advised that he delete it. Which he did.

Which is not to say DIS are sure it is not Chepiga; rather they believe – as would anyone with half a brain – that the Bellingcat photo falls a long way short of proof. The British security services have been unable to stand up the ID with facial recognition technology. The experts are describing the Boshirov/Chepiga identification as “possible”.

I have this information from an impeccable Whitehall source, who told me there is a concern in the security services that runs like this. They genuinely believe Boshirov and Petrov are GRU agents and the would-be assassins. (I judge that my source themself believes the security services really do think this). Bellingcat, while they are sometimes fed security service material, did not in fact get fed the Chepiga material by the CIA or MI6, whether or not through a cutout. The security services are worried the Chepiga ID may be a blind alley fed to Bellingcat’s sources by the FSB. If the UK government endorses it, this could be followed by the Russians producing Chepiga and apparently discrediting the entire British narrative.

Hence the fact no charge has been laid against Chepiga, and the charges are still in the name of “Boshirov”, plus the fact that no British minister or official has named Chepiga, with only the fool Williamson stepping out of line and being slapped down.

So the current state of play seems to be this:
- the UK DIS believe the two were the assassins, but they aren't confident in the Chepiga identification
- for this reason, Craig Murray isn't still claiming they are a gay couple engaged in the "dodgy end of the bodybuilding supplements trade"
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#778  Postby Thommo » Sep 30, 2018 10:14 pm

ronmcd wrote:Instant unscientific response to Craig Murray's "facial analysis" thing - the photo on the left his head is angled back to a degree, hence the squished double-chin like neck, and the fact we can see up his nostrils. The other two more angled straight. That changes the nose length argument, in all likelihood.

A little like Trump's two photos. Different noses, eyebrow shapes ... my god, ONE IS AN IMPOSTER!

Just for a laugh:

83% match.

Google "Jennifer Lawrence", pick two photos that look similar, from similar angle, with much less aging in between:
89% match.

Neither picture appears to put Jennifer Lawrence as one of the top 12 matches for either face, bizarrely.

Anyway, getting to my point: I think Jennifer Lawrence might have done it.
Thommo

Print view this post

#779  Postby ronmcd » Sep 30, 2018 11:31 pm

No, the real Chepiga Jennifer Lawrence was captured by MI6 and is being held in a "safe place" somewhere. Her cell is probably adjacent to the ones occupied by Sergei and Yulia Skripal. And Chepiga.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#780  Postby Mike_L » Oct 01, 2018 6:56 am

ronmcd wrote:No, the real Chepiga Jennifer Lawrence was captured by MI6 and is being held in a "safe place" somewhere. Her cell is probably adjacent to the ones occupied by Sergei and Yulia Skripal. And Chepiga.

No, the real Jennifer Lawrence now shares a cottage with Charlie Rowley.
Rumour has it that they get egg noodles and ketchup for dinner every day.
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs