Ground Invasion Started

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Ground Invasion Started

#1161  Postby HughMcB » Aug 12, 2014 1:35 pm

willhud9 wrote:If say she were to put Caucasian on a form for say college and she showed up not looking Caucasian they could claim she lied. Which would be bullshit.

I don't think that's true. From what I understand in the US, it's illegal to do so.
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#1162  Postby Globe » Aug 12, 2014 1:40 pm

HughMcB wrote:
willhud9 wrote:
Fallible wrote:
willhud9 wrote:

The point being that African American's are genetically diverse as an ethnicity. My girlfriend alone has African, Native American, Irish, and French ancestry all within her past within the last 200 years. Yet she would be erroneously listed as African American despite the fact that she doesn't identify as such.

Listed where? And why wouldn't she be listed as that which she herself chooses to be identified by?

Due to the same bullshit that is held by people like Globe that prevents someone from identifying as a ethnic Jew.

Lol, I demand to see Globe's list of African Americans. :lol:

Maybe listing someone according "ethnicity" is easier to digest if you come from somewhere that habitually does that.
Bad as Denmark might be towards people who doesn't have Danish nationality, they haven't really gotten any further than "Western Immigrants" and "Non-western Immigrants".
"Justice will be served!
As soon as I can find you a piece that hasn't gone rotten." - Globe

I don't accept sexism, no matter what gender is being targeted with an -ism.
Globe

Female

Spain (es)
Print view this post

#1163  Postby Fallible » Aug 12, 2014 1:43 pm

HughMcB wrote:
willhud9 wrote:If say she were to put Caucasian on a form for say college and she showed up not looking Caucasian they could claim she lied. Which would be bullshit.

I don't think that's true. From what I understand in the US, it's illegal to do so.

I also have my doubts, but I don't know anything about what happens in America in this situation, so I just remain doubtful.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#1164  Postby HughMcB » Aug 12, 2014 1:50 pm

I listen and read a lot of material on race relations in the USA. From off the top of my head, whenever they discuss matters of "ticking boxes" for American American, Hispanic and such, they (the good black folks commenting on this) not only mention that you can't get into trouble for lying, but that you should put Caucasian to increase your chances of getting a position/placement/job etc.
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#1165  Postby mrjonno » Aug 12, 2014 2:37 pm

HughMcB wrote:I listen and read a lot of material on race relations in the USA. From off the top of my head, whenever they discuss matters of "ticking boxes" for American American, Hispanic and such, they (the good black folks commenting on this) not only mention that you can't get into trouble for lying, but that you should put Caucasian to increase your chances of getting a position/placement/job etc.

Don't know about elsewhere but in the UK the person considering an application isnt even allowed to see the race relations survey to avoid racial discrimination. The form is separated and sent to HR unless they are actively doing the interviewing
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1166  Postby HughMcB » Aug 12, 2014 2:54 pm

No I don't think it's as well regulated in the US. But I do think it's non compulsory to answer questions on ethnicity or sexual orientation. They are opt-in questions. And most people don't realize that. Of course if you leave them blank, people might think you're a fascist, commie, black, homo, Mexican. So really you can just lie.
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#1167  Postby HughMcB » Aug 12, 2014 8:25 pm

I posted this on the other thread, so sad.
Never ask me about peace again
Author Asmaa al-Ghoul, Translator(s)Kamal Fayad
Posted August 4, 2014

Tears flowed until my body ran dry of them when I received a telephone call on Aug. 3, informing me that my family had been targeted by two F-16 missiles in the city of Rafah. Such was the fate of our family in a war that still continues, with every family in the Gaza Strip receiving its share of sorrow and pain.

My father’s brother, Ismail al-Ghoul, 60, was not a member of Hamas. His wife, Khadra, 62, was not a militant of Hamas. Their sons, Wael, 35, and Mohammed, 32, were not combatants for Hamas. Their daughters, Hanadi, 28, and Asmaa, 22, were not operatives for Hamas, nor were my cousin Wael’s children, Ismail, 11, Malak, 5, and baby Mustafa, only 24 days old, members of Islamic Jihad, the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine or Fatah. Yet, they all died in the Israeli shelling that targeted their home at 6:20 a.m. on Sunday morning.

Their house was located in the Yibna neighborhood of the Rafah refugee camp. It was one story with a roof made of thin asbestos that did not require two F-16 missiles to destroy. Would someone please inform Israel that refugee camp houses can be destroyed, and their occupants killed, with only a small bomb, and that it needn’t spend billions to blow them into oblivion?

If it is Hamas that you hate, let me tell you that the people you are killing have nothing to do with Hamas. They are women, children, men and senior citizens whose only concern was for the war to end, so they can return to their lives and daily routines. But let me assure you that you have now created thousands — no, millions — of Hamas loyalists, for we all become Hamas if Hamas, to you, is women, children and innocent families. If Hamas, in your eyes, is ordinary civilians and families, then I am Hamas, they are Hamas and we are all Hamas.

...continues...
Now, the house and its future memories have been laid to waste, its children taken to early graves. Homes and recollections bombed into oblivion, their inhabitants homeless and lost, just as their camp always had been. Never ask me about peace again.
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#1168  Postby Scarlett » Aug 12, 2014 8:30 pm

Fuck. :(
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1169  Postby Peter Brown » Aug 15, 2014 9:14 pm

If Palestinians can be legally a citizen of Israel, and Israel is a full democracy, then have a look at 6:18 of the above video and explain how segregation like that goes on. Definition of racism is not fear of a few Arabs with backpack bombs wanting to board, but of every Arab has a backpack bomb.
Peter Brown

Print view this post

Previous

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs