Her Majesty is Not Amused...

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Her Majesty is Not Amused...

#21  Postby Papa Smurf » Aug 13, 2019 12:20 pm

viocjit wrote:
Papa Smurf wrote:We say often "Queen of England" but this is not one of her official title.
She is the monarch of "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" but this is not the sole country in which she has a function of queen.

She is the queen of 16 states (Antigua and Barbuda , Australia , Bahamas , Barbados , Belize , Canada , Grenada , Jamaica , New Zealand , Papua New Guinea , Saint Kitts and Nevis , Saint Lucia , Saint Vincent and the Grenadines , Solomon Islands , Tuvalu , UK) and she has a different royal title for each states.
In UK her monarch title in English is "Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith".
All of her current and former official royal titles are long to spell and write.

Read this entry on Wikipedia : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_t ... izabeth_II

Oh great, another spoiler of jokes. I know all that (even if I don't have every last little detail memorized; I doubt anyone has) and I already said I wrote it like that because it sounds good. Queen of England has a certain ring to it. Monarch of the Commonwealth or whatever does not. FFS.
Papa Smurf

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#22  Postby Fallible » Aug 13, 2019 4:22 pm

I guarantee close to no one here in the UK cares about, or even knows, her exact title. Unfortunately pedantry, not Liz 2 - The Return, reigns on this forum.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Papa Smurf » Aug 13, 2019 6:06 pm

Fallible wrote:I guarantee close to no one here in the UK cares about, or even knows, her exact title.

I bet more people know the full and exact title of Daenerys Targaryen (breaker of chains etc etc) than of Elizabeth :grin:
Papa Smurf

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 13, 2019 6:38 pm

Who is that?
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Fallible » Aug 13, 2019 6:45 pm

Papa Smurf wrote:
Fallible wrote:I guarantee close to no one here in the UK cares about, or even knows, her exact title.

I bet more people know the full and exact title of Daenerys Targaryen (breaker of chains etc etc) than of Elizabeth :grin:

:lol: Oh, without question.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Hermit » Aug 13, 2019 8:43 pm

Fallible wrote:
Papa Smurf wrote:

:lol: Oh, without question.

How many people do watch Game of Thrones? Apparently 17.4 million people watched the Season 8 premiere on HBO and cable TV, which set a record for the show at the time. Another 54 million are estimated to have pirated a copy. Perhaps those are the figure for the US alone, but even if as many watched it in Europe as well, it's not really a lot in terms of total populations, the US getting close to 330 million inhabitants and the EU exceeding 510.

As for me, I don't know enough about Daenerys Targaryen to spell her name correctly without copy-pasting it. I do know she is a major figure in the series, but her title? I have not been sufficiently curious to find out. It's just another fantasy show for me.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#27  Postby Fallible » Aug 13, 2019 8:51 pm

Yeah, more people didn’t watch it than did. I know. I’d be interested to know how many of the 66 million people here can recite the Queen’s full title. Not 17 million, I’d bet my left tit on it.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#28  Postby Hermit » Aug 13, 2019 9:19 pm

Fallible wrote:Yeah, more people didn’t watch it than did. I know. I’d be interested to know how many of the 66 million people here can recite the Queen’s full title. Not 17 million, I’d bet my left tit on it.

I am among those who can't, but how many people who watch GoT can recite Daeny’s full title?
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#29  Postby Fallible » Aug 13, 2019 9:23 pm

Does it matter? I didn’t realise this was going to turn into a whole thing. It was a light hearted exchange, not meant to be taken as a concrete statement of fact.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#30  Postby Hermit » Aug 13, 2019 9:29 pm

Fallible wrote:Does it matter? I didn’t realise this was going to turn into a whole thing. It was a light hearted exchange, not meant to be taken as a concrete statement of fact.

I'm just shooting the breeze. For one thing we'd be hard pressed to bring facts into the exchange, there being no surveys on hand that might shed light on how many people can recite Daeny's/the Queen’s full title. None I am aware of anyhow.

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#31  Postby Fallible » Aug 13, 2019 9:32 pm

My not serious and casually expressed point was that no one bar a few cares or even knows what the queen’s full title is, following the ruining of a joke by pedantry over her full title. I can’t help but feel like I’m now caught in exactly the same situation.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Hermit » Aug 13, 2019 9:45 pm

Oh, is that how it all started? I'd totally forgotten. Thanks for the reminder. ;)

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#33  Postby Alan C » Aug 14, 2019 1:06 am

I never did watch Game of Thrones [no real reason for that, just didn't] nor do I have but a passing interest in royalty.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#34  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 14, 2019 5:50 am

I know no one here who has watched it. It is never discussed like it is in the English language media. People who watch Netflix seem to think the world revolves around it. Here that is far from the case as there many Dutch alternatives on the cable network and I am quite sure the same is true in other countries in their own language. I am surprised the viewing figures are so low or how accurate are they?

Very few Dutch people know the full titles of King William Alexander:

Koning der Nederlanden, Prins van Oranje-Nassau, Jonkheer van Amsberg, Graaf van Katzenelnbogen,
Graaf van Vianden, Graaf van Diez, Graaf van Spiegelberg, Graaf van Buren, Graaf van Leerdam, Graaf van Culemborg, Markies van Veere enVlissingen, Baron van Breda, Baron van Diest, Baron van Beilstein, Baron van de stad Grave en het Land van Cuyk, Baron van IJsselstein,Baron van Cranendonk, Baron van Eindhoven, Baron van Liesveld, Erf- en Vrijheer van Ameland, Heer van Borculo, Heer van Bredevoort,Heer van Lichtenvoorde, Heer van 't Loo, Heer van Geertruidenberg, Heer van Klundert, Heer van Zevenbergen, Heer van Hoge en Lage Zwaluwe,Heer van Naaldwijk, Heer van Polanen, Heer van Sint-Maartensdijk, Heer van Soest, Baarn en Ter Eem, Heer van Willemstad, Heer van Steenbergen,Heer van Montfort, Heer van Sankt Vith, Heer van Bütgenbach, Heer van Dasburg, Erf-Burggraaf van Antwerpen.

:lol:

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#35  Postby viocjit » Aug 15, 2019 7:17 am

Fallible wrote:I guarantee close to no one here in the UK cares about, or even knows, her exact title. Unfortunately pedantry, not Liz 2 - The Return, reigns on this forum.

I have not doubt on the fact the majority of British don't care and don't know her exact title for UK.
Outside of royal family and relatives of royal family there are certainly no more than thousand of passionate who know.
Does the monarch know what is her official title for UK and others countries ? I haven't the answer.

The majority of people in UK passionate for the royal family seem to be from the upper middle class or above this class. This is the perception I have but I can be wrong.

Scot Dutchy wrote:I know no one here who has watched it. It is never discussed like it is in the English language media. People who watch Netflix seem to think the world revolves around it. Here that is far from the case as there many Dutch alternatives on the cable network and I am quite sure the same is true in other countries in their own language. I am surprised the viewing figures are so low or how accurate are they?

Very few Dutch people know the full titles of King William Alexander:

Koning der Nederlanden, Prins van Oranje-Nassau, Jonkheer van Amsberg, Graaf van Katzenelnbogen,
Graaf van Vianden, Graaf van Diez, Graaf van Spiegelberg, Graaf van Buren, Graaf van Leerdam, Graaf van Culemborg, Markies van Veere enVlissingen, Baron van Breda, Baron van Diest, Baron van Beilstein, Baron van de stad Grave en het Land van Cuyk, Baron van IJsselstein,Baron van Cranendonk, Baron van Eindhoven, Baron van Liesveld, Erf- en Vrijheer van Ameland, Heer van Borculo, Heer van Bredevoort,Heer van Lichtenvoorde, Heer van 't Loo, Heer van Geertruidenberg, Heer van Klundert, Heer van Zevenbergen, Heer van Hoge en Lage Zwaluwe,Heer van Naaldwijk, Heer van Polanen, Heer van Sint-Maartensdijk, Heer van Soest, Baarn en Ter Eem, Heer van Willemstad, Heer van Steenbergen,Heer van Montfort, Heer van Sankt Vith, Heer van Bütgenbach, Heer van Dasburg, Erf-Burggraaf van Antwerpen.

:lol:

Lol ! Even Elizabeth II haven't a title long like this for any country in which she's the monarch.
You forgeted Bij de Gratie Gods (By the Grace of God) before Koning der Nederlanden (King of the Netherlands).

Full style in Dutch : Bij de Gratie Gods, Koning der Nederlanden, Prins van Oranje-Nassau, Jonkheer van Amsberg, Markies van Veere en Vlissingen, Graaf van Katzenelnbogen, Vianden, Diez, Spiegelberg, Buren, Leerdam en Culemborg, Burggraaf van Antwerpen, Baron van Breda, Diest, Beilstein, de stad Grave, het Land van Cuyk, IJsselstein, Cranendonck, Eindhoven, Liesveld, Herstal, Warneton, Arlay en Nozeroy, Erf- en Vrijheer van Ameland, Heer van Borculo, Bredevoort, Lichtenvoorde, Het Loo, Geertruidenberg, Klundert, Zevenbergen, Hooge en Lage Zwaluwe, Naaldwijk, Polanen, Sint-Maartensdijk, Soest, Baarn, Ter Eem, Willemstad, Steenbergen, Montfort, St. Vith, Bütgenbach, Niervaart, Daasburg, Turnhout en Besançon

Translation of the full style in English : By the Grace of God, King of the Netherlands, Prince of Orange-Nassau, Jonkheer van Amsberg, Marquis of Veere and Flushing, Count of Katzenelnbogen, Vianden, Diez, Spiegelberg, Buren, Leerdam and Culemborg, Burgrave of Antwerp, Baron of Breda, Diest, Beilstein, the town of Grave and the lands of Cuyk, IJsselstein, Cranendonk, Eindhoven, Liesveld, Herstal, Warneton, Arlay and Nozeroy, Hereditary and Free Lord of Ameland, Lord of Borculo, Bredevoort, Lichtenvoorde, Het Loo, Geertruidenberg, Clundert, Zevenbergen, Hooge and Lage Zwaluwe, Naaldwijk, Polanen, St Maartensdijk, Soest, Baarn, Ter Eem, Willemstad, Steenbergen, Montfort, St Vith, Bütgenbach, Dasburg, Niervaart, Turnhout and Besançon

Short style in Dutch : Koning der Nederlanden, Prins van Oranje-Nassau, etc.

Translation of the short style in English : King of the Netherlands, Prince of Orange-Nassau, etc.

Can you say me which kind of relation does have the average Dutch subject with his / her monarch ?
Does the average Dutch citizen have an interest about life of royal family ?
Does the average Dutch love , hate or don't care about his / her king ?
What does think the average Dutch about the monarchy ?
viocjit

Male

France (fr)
Print view this post

#36  Postby I'm With Stupid » Aug 15, 2019 8:31 am

Rich, powerful people love to give themselves titles. I always laugh when I see Prince Philip or Prince Charles standing there with a chest full of medals thinking "What did you do to achieve those then?"

Part of me would love the idea of the queen intervening purely because I imagine there's a lot of crossover between Tory Boris supporters and those who venerate the queen. I can see them tying themselves in knots already about how to react.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#37  Postby Spearthrower » Aug 15, 2019 8:39 am

I'm With Stupid wrote:...a chest full of medals thinking "What did you do to achieve those then?"

The Awarding of Medals Award.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#38  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 15, 2019 10:19 am

viocjit wrote:Can you say me which kind of relation does have the average Dutch subject with his / her monarch ?
Does the average Dutch citizen have an interest about life of royal family ?
Does the average Dutch love , hate or don't care about his / her king ?
What does think the average Dutch about the monarchy ?

Alex has dropped the "god" bit. There is more than a passing interest in the royal family but it is tends to be on the negative side with the younger generation although around 80% have trust in the monarchy.

This is the annual report on the royal family: https://eenvandaag.avrotros.nl/fileadmin/user_upload/PDF/Koningsdagenquete_2019.pdf

I could not directly find an English version.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#39  Postby Sendraks » Aug 15, 2019 10:32 am

I'm With Stupid wrote:Rich, powerful people love to give themselves titles. I always laugh when I see Prince Philip or Prince Charles standing there with a chest full of medals thinking "What did you do to achieve those then?"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6147544.stm
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#40  Postby laklak » Aug 15, 2019 1:52 pm

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs