Hungary votes in dictatorship

Or how to take advantage of the corona-crisis

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Hungary votes in dictatorship

#1  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Mar 31, 2020 7:25 am

Kick Hungary Out of the EU and NATO
If these alliances are going to have any meaning, dictatorships can have no place in them.

It is time to kick Hungary out of the European Union and NATO. The country entered the Western alliance in the aftermath of the Cold War as a fledgling democracy, but has since reverted to autocracy.

Hungary crossed what should be a red line on Monday, as the country’s Parliament granted Prime Minister Viktor Orbán the power to rule by decree indefinitely. Opposition parties tried to set a time limit on those powers, but Orbán’s ruling Fidesz party pushed through his motion without restriction.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/03/orban-hungary-dictatorship-eu-nato.html

Basically Orban can rule by decree, indefinitely, while also jailing people for up to 5 years for spreading 'fake news'.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Hungary votes in dictatorship

#2  Postby Alan B » Mar 31, 2020 11:36 am

Agreed. Hungary should be declared "persona non grata" with respect to the EU.
But "Democracy" isn't immune to the dictatorial approach. Particularly if one is voted in with an overwhelming majority and can introduce laws without an effective opposition - albeit perhaps for a limited time period, maybe...
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby proudfootz » Mar 31, 2020 1:29 pm

Is there a mechanism in the EU paperwork that facilitates such a move?
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby felltoearth » Mar 31, 2020 2:04 pm

They’ve been trying a few different measures in the past.

Showing teeth: EU considers financial penalties for rogue states
The EU Commission is looking for more effective ways to punish member states that undermine the rule of law — namely Hungary and Poland, whose archconservative governments have raised the EU's hackles by tightening control over the judiciary and media.

The currently available punishment, Article 7, under which a member state’s EU voting rights can be suspended, isn’t working. “It’s been shown to be a toothless tiger so far,” said Franz Mayer, an expert on European law who has advised the German government. “Decisions require unanimity minus the affected member.” And that unanimity is virtually impossible to attain if problem countries have each other's backs, as Hungary and Poland presumably would.

EU Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker has responded to the dilemma by proposing new rules that would make it easier for the EU to cut off funding from recalcitrant members.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs