Inmate Sues Prison Claiming His Religious Liberty Entitles..

Inmate Sues Prison Claiming His Religious Liberty Entitles Him To Dress Like A Pirate

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Inmate Sues Prison Claiming His Religious Liberty Entitles..

#1  Postby Griz_ » Oct 31, 2014 2:12 am

Inmate Sues Prison Claiming His Religious Liberty Entitles Him To Dress Like A Pirate

Stephen Cavanaugh is incarcerated by the state of Nebraska. He also identifies himself a “member of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster” in a legal complaint filed against the state’s Department of Corrections. According to that complaint, Cavanaugh requested “accommodated status” for this church, a status that would allow him to “order and wear religious clothing and pendants” and to “meet for weekly worship services and classes.”

Oh, and the “religious clothing” he wants to wear is a pirate costume.

Cavanaugh’s complaint quotes The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, which he identifies as one of his religion’s “holy texts.” In the passage quoted by Cavanaugh, the “holy text” explains that “it is disfrespectful to teach our beliefs without wearing [the Flying Spaghetti Monster's] chosen outfit” and that the Flying Spaghetti Monster “becomes angry if we don’t.” Thus, Cavanaugh writes, the prison system has forced him to “choose between angering his God by not attempting to spread His word and demonstrate his faith, or angering his God by doing so in a disrespectful manner.”....

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2014/1 ... -a-pirate/

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
This text has been edited to conform to the copyright guidance outlined in the Forum Users' Agreement. When quoting from other websites and external sources please use the forum's quote-tags, limit the text to c.200 words, and provide a link to the original material.

THWOTH
Last edited by THWOTH on Nov 01, 2014 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: copyright notice
Griz_

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Inmate Sues Prison Claiming His Religious Liberty Entitles..

#2  Postby orpheus » Nov 01, 2014 3:32 am

:popcorn: (Uncle Orph'sTM popcorn - "Aaaaarr!" )
“A way a lone a last a loved a long the”

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Keep It Real » Nov 01, 2014 7:27 am

I just thought of a way that being a devout pastsfarian might be the best chance of beating Pascal's wager. I just got out of bed though so can't quite get my act together enough to post it yet. I won't forget though and will soon. I'd like to see the courts get embroiled in that argument!
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#4  Postby orpheus » Nov 01, 2014 3:00 pm

Keep It Real wrote:I just thought of a way that being a devout pastsfarian might be the best chance of beating Pascal's wager. I just got out of bed though so can't quite get my act together enough to post it yet. I won't forget though and will soon. I'd like to see the courts get embroiled in that argument!

I too am pre-caffeinated, so this is a hazy notion, but somehow you reminded me of something Penn Jillette said: he thinks hypocrisy is a good thing. His reasoning is that if you say one thing and do the opposite, you've doubled the chances of him agreeing with you.

I know there's something deeply wrong with that logic, but it's tasty nonetheless.
“A way a lone a last a loved a long the”

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby BlackBart » Nov 01, 2014 3:38 pm

Keep It Real wrote:I just thought of a way that being a devout pastsfarian might be the best chance of beating Pascal's wager. I just got out of bed though so can't quite get my act together enough to post it yet. I won't forget though and will soon. I'd like to see the courts get embroiled in that argument!

Except wouldn't an all knowing God immediately see through any attempt to beat the system?
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby I'm With Stupid » Nov 01, 2014 5:33 pm

If I ever end up in prison, I think I'll find religion. Probably one where it's a religious requirement to eat a fillet steak every day.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Keep It Real » Nov 02, 2014 8:14 am

BlackBart wrote:

Except wouldn't an all knowing God immediately see through any attempt to beat the system?

Well, it goes like this. Any god which may exist seems to want only one thing which we can honestly infer - it doesn't want us to believe it exists. It has left no evidence at all and a plethora of "suffering of the innocents" type events which actively work against belief. If there is such a god, surely the one thing that would anger it is people saying/thinking/acting as if it does exist. If it were to punish anything it would be belief. Ridiculing and thereby discouraging belief, through outspoken pastafarianism, might well be the best way to do the bidding of this hypothetically possible vengeful god. If one were to a) state that there is likely to be such a being or b) passively allow others to believe, thereby possibly condemning themselves to afterlife torment, one would be behaving unethically. One would be obeying the apparent will of any hypothetically possible god - not trying to beat the system. And if there really isn't a god (which seems likely) then one has merely attempted to stand up for the truth and enlighten the masses.
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#8  Postby BlackBart » Nov 02, 2014 9:05 am

Keep It Real wrote:
BlackBart wrote:

Well, it goes like this. Any god which may exist seems to want only one thing which we can honestly infer - it doesn't want us to believe it exists. It has left no evidence at all and a plethora of "suffering of the innocents" type events which actively work against belief. If there is such a god, surely the one thing that would anger it is people saying/thinking/acting as if it does exist. If it were to punish anything it would be belief. Ridiculing and thereby discouraging belief, through outspoken pastafarianism, might well be the best way to do the bidding of this hypothetically possible vengeful god. If one were to a) state that there is likely to be such a being or b) passively allow others to believe, thereby possibly condemning themselves to afterlife torment, one would be behaving unethically. One would be obeying the apparent will of any hypothetically possible god - not trying to beat the system. And if there really isn't a god (which seems likely) then one has merely attempted to stand up for the truth and enlighten the masses.

But that doesn't get around Pascal's wager at all. The wager is it's better to believe in God; If you believe and there is a God, you enter the kingdom of Heaven and if there isn't a God, you'll have lost nothing.
First, you're making assumptions about this God thing; How do we know it doesn't want us to believe in it? Why is that any more likely than a jealous, capricious entity that requires absolute non-questioning belief?
Second it's belief that's the requirement for Pascal's Wager, not obeying his will -- You can run around giving money to the sick and munching carpet five times a day, but if don't we believe, we're told, we're fucked.
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Keep It Real » Nov 02, 2014 9:10 am

I'm using the term Pascal's wager loosely - what I outlined is what seems to me to be the best way of avoiding god's wrath/eternal damnation. As I said; the fact it gives no evidence for it's existence and the suffering of the innocents suggests it doesn't want us to believe in it. It's more likely because that's the reality we find ourselves in.
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#10  Postby BlackBart » Nov 02, 2014 9:27 am

Keep It Real wrote:I'm using the term Pascal's wager loosely - what I outlined is what seems to me to be the best way of avoiding god's wrath/eternal damnation.

Very loosely - the only requirement for Pascal's Wager is belief.

As I said; the fact it gives no evidence for it's existence and the suffering of the innocents suggests it doesn't want us to believe in it. It's more likely because that's the reality we find ourselves in.

Again, you've just erected an assumption. Why is your assumption any more likely to be correct than the cruel, jealous God who demands absolute faith? The 'reality' we find ourselves in also fits that scenario as far as I can see.
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Keep It Real » Nov 02, 2014 9:32 am

Not that loosely. Pascal's Wager centres on holding the correct belief to avoid eternal damnation. So does my idea.

If a god wanted us to believe in him it stands to reason it'd leave some evidence or show itself in some way. The fact it doesn't suggests it doesn't want us to believe in it.
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#12  Postby BlackBart » Nov 02, 2014 9:40 am

Keep It Real wrote:Not that loosely. Pascal's Wager centres on holding the correct belief to avoid eternal damnation. So does my idea.

But you have no way of knowing if it's correct or not, so where's the guarantee of avoiding damnation?

If a god wanted us to believe in him it stands to reason it'd leave some evidence or show itself in some way. The fact it doesn't suggests it doesn't want us to believe in it.

You keep asserting that, but you don't support it. Why is that any more likely than a jealous God requiring absolute faith in the face of human suffering?
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Keep It Real » Nov 02, 2014 9:44 am

BlackBart wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:Not that loosely. Pascal's Wager centres on holding the correct belief to avoid eternal damnation. So does my idea.

But you have no way of knowing if it's correct or not, so where's the guarantee of avoiding damnation?

Not guarantee - best chance.

BlackBart wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:

You keep asserting that, but you don't support it. Why is that any more likely than a jealous God requiring absolute faith in the face of human suffering?

Because reality - no evidence and the suffering of the innocents. You keep saying it's an assertion - are you saying there is no evidence for the suffering of the innocents or that there is evidence for the existence of a god?
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#14  Postby BlackBart » Nov 02, 2014 10:07 am

Keep It Real wrote:
BlackBart wrote:

Not guarantee - best chance.

Assuming your assertions are correct, how do we know they are?

BlackBart wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:

Because reality - no evidence and the suffering of the innocents.

Which equally fits the jealous God scenario does it not?

You keep saying it's an assertion - are you saying there is no evidence for the suffering of the innocents or that there is evidence for the existence of a god?

I'm saying you that saying a God doesn't require us to believe in it is an unsupported assertion. Human suffering is trivially demonstrable.
I've yet to be presented with any kind of coherent evidence for any kind of deity.
Last edited by BlackBart on Nov 02, 2014 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Keep It Real » Nov 02, 2014 10:51 am

It seems likely that if there is a god it doesn't want us to believe in it - if it did it would provide some evidence of it's existence. Nothing you've said changes that.
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#16  Postby The_Piper » Nov 02, 2014 11:09 am

I'm With Stupid wrote:If I ever end up in prison, I think I'll find religion. Probably one where it's a religious requirement to eat a fillet steak every day.

I'd become a Rastafarian. Or an old-school Mormon, if they allowed conjugal visits.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby BlackBart » Nov 02, 2014 11:32 am

Keep It Real wrote:It seems likely that if there is a god it doesn't want us to believe in it - if it did it would provide some evidence of it's existence.

Re-erecting an assertion does not support it.

Nothing you've said changes that.

I don't have the burden of proof. Why is a God that requires no belief any more likely than a jealous god that requires absolute faith and thus presents no evidence of himself?
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Keep It Real » Nov 02, 2014 11:35 am

Because an omniscient god would accept mankind's tendency to believe according to evidence.
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#19  Postby BlackBart » Nov 02, 2014 12:06 pm

Except we have no reason to conclude that it is omniscient or even benign. Theists merely assert that's that's the case.
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Keep It Real » Nov 02, 2014 12:13 pm

Even a vaguely intelligent god would surely make the deduction. If it's not vaguely intelligent it seems a bit of a stretch to think it a god.
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

Next

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs