Is there a secular argument against abortion?

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Is there a secular argument against abortion?

#3541  Postby The_Metatron » May 22, 2014 10:52 am

Shrunk wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:How does the risk of the various abortion procedures compare with the risk of childbirth to the mother? That would be about the only reason I may advise against abortion, if it has more risk. If.

The comparative safety of legal induced abortion and childbirth in the United States.
Raymond EG, Grimes DA.
Obstet Gynecol. 2012 Feb;119(2 Pt 1):215-9.

OBJECTIVE:
To assess the safety of abortion compared with childbirth.

METHODS:
We estimated mortality rates associated with live births and legal induced abortions in the United States in 1998-2005. We used data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Pregnancy Mortality Surveillance System, birth certificates, and Guttmacher Institute surveys. In addition, we searched for population-based data comparing the morbidity of abortion and childbirth.

RESULTS:
The pregnancy-associated mortality rate among women who delivered live neonates was 8.8 deaths per 100,000 live births. The mortality rate related to induced abortion was 0.6 deaths per 100,000 abortions. In the one recent comparative study of pregnancy morbidity in the United States, pregnancy-related complications were more common with childbirth than with abortion.

CONCLUSION:
Legal induced abortion is markedly safer than childbirth. The risk of death associated with childbirth is approximately 14 times higher than that with abortion. Similarly, the overall morbidity associated with childbirth exceeds that with abortion.

Of course, that doesn't include all the women who get hit by cars five years after having an abortion. :dopey:

Thanks, man. That handily disposes of that possible objection, doesn't it?
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3542  Postby Shrunk » May 22, 2014 10:57 am

You would think, wouldn't you? I don't know if you've read the whole thread, but that "joke" I made about pro-lifers blaming deaths caused by car accidents on abortion? That was no joke.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3543  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » May 22, 2014 11:24 am

I'm not having an abortion for fear of being hit by a car and neither should you.

I'm trying to imagine someone saying that with a serious face.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3544  Postby felltoearth » May 22, 2014 12:09 pm

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/#!/content/1.2639908

Pregnant drivers face higher risks for serious motor vehicle crash

Standard road safety advice needs to be more top of mind in pregnancy, doctors say
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3545  Postby scott1328 » May 22, 2014 1:03 pm

Shrunk wrote:You would think, wouldn't you? I don't know if you've read the whole thread, but that "joke" I made about pro-lifers blaming deaths caused by car accidents on abortion? That was no joke.

I think the actual statistic is 100% of the who have an abortion will die afterwards.
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3546  Postby purplerat » May 22, 2014 2:08 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
purplerat wrote:
Shrunk wrote:
purplerat wrote:What's loaded about "pro-choice"? It simply means you favor allowing people to make their own choices about their body.

Because it sounds like it has nothing to do with abortion. If you knew nothing about the connotations of the term, when someone said they were "pro-choice" you would have no idea what they were talking about.

Well of course the term is relative to the topic, but I don't think that makes it loaded.

Perhaps you can give us your personal definition of 'loaded term', so that we know you understand it in the sense that nobody ever has to figure out what the load is. 'Pro-life' is no more loaded than 'anti-choice'. Euphemisms, you know.

A loaded term is one that carries a secondary, usually emotional or incendiary meaning. For example when people say they are pro-life they often mean to imply that somebody who doesn't agree with them is anti-life or pro-death. We've seen this conflation in this thread where not being pro-life was conflated with being in favor of forcing women to have abortions. That's why many people who are indeed in favor of choice make sure to call themselves "pro-life" or "pro-life/pro-choice" because "pro-life" is loaded with an additional meaning.

What context can you remove from 'pro-legalisation'? The notion that it means being in favour of legalising something that's presently illegal?

The context of what one would be in favor of legalizing. Saying I'm 'pro-legalisation' in regards to drug laws doesn't mean I'm 'pro-legalisation' in regards to murder. Context matters.

Did you ever actually try to communicate using words? You know, those things made up of letters from the alphabet, and defined in dictionaries in various places?

I'm not sure what this is about or if you just feel the need to get off on being snarky, but if this helps here's some dictionary words, made up of letters from the alphabet.

1pro
noun \ˈprō\
plural pros
Definition of PRO
: an argument or evidence in affirmation <an appraisal of the pros and cons>
: the affirmative side or one holding it

1choice
noun \ˈchȯis\

: the act of choosing : the act of picking or deciding between two or more possibilities

: the opportunity or power to choose between two or more possibilities : the opportunity or power to make a decision

: a range of things that can be chosen

What's so difficult about that?
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3547  Postby Cito di Pense » May 22, 2014 3:58 pm

purplerat wrote:What's so difficult about that?

Here's how you started this:

purplerat wrote:What's loaded about "pro-choice"? It simply means you favor allowing people to make their own choices about their body.

Is that ALL it means? No? Then it's loaded, whatever hairs you want to split about whether or not it's explicitly 'incendiary'. It's not worth my while to play dictionary derby with you about shit that isn't in any dictionary, so if you have further argument about this, let's just take it as read that you win.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#3548  Postby Shrunk » May 22, 2014 4:10 pm

scott1328 wrote:
Shrunk wrote:You would think, wouldn't you? I don't know if you've read the whole thread, but that "joke" I made about pro-lifers blaming deaths caused by car accidents on abortion? That was no joke.

I think the actual statistic is 100% of the who have an abortion will die afterwards.

Shh. Don't give 'em ideas.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3549  Postby purplerat » May 22, 2014 4:13 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
purplerat wrote:What's so difficult about that?

Here's how you started this:

Is that ALL it means? No? Then it's loaded, whatever hairs you want to split about whether or not it's explicitly 'incendiary'. It's not worth my while to play dictionary derby with you about shit that isn't in any dictionary, so if you have further argument about this, let's just take it as read that you win.

What else does it mean then?

Oh, and you're the one who suggested I use a dictionary. So why would you suggest I use one then refuse to address it when I do? Or are you just being an asshole?
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3550  Postby purplerat » May 22, 2014 4:18 pm

Shrunk wrote:
scott1328 wrote:

Shh. Don't give 'em ideas.

Or you could just point out that 100% of people born die. Therefore pro-life = pro-death.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3551  Postby Agrippina » May 22, 2014 5:10 pm

THWOTH wrote:
Agrippina wrote:I've been away for two weeks and I see there still isn't a really good reason for atheists to become pro-lifers. :thumbup: Or in other words, to interfere in the decisions other people make about their bodies.

Aye. No "The wishes of the many outweigh the rights of the one" argument so far.

:thumbup:
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs