Israel Invasion of Gaza soon. History of Israeli aggression

Emerging Ground Invasion of Gaza by Israel

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Israel Invasion of Gaza soon. History of Israeli aggression

#621  Postby Arjan Dirkse » Nov 22, 2012 6:29 pm

Steve wrote:
Arjan Dirkse wrote:

Of course trying to be a little more civilized is good. But is it possible? I am not any sort of military expert, but if we're saying Israel has a right to defend itself, is there any conceivable way they can do that without hurting Gaza's civilians, any way that wouldn't draw the condemnation from those people currently condemning it?

How about Israel gave a damn about the Palestinian civilian? Maybe allowed them food, shelter and medicine? And don't get sidetracked by the bombs that the civvies would smuggle in - yes that is a real issue and would need dealing with. But get the intention established that the Israelis cared about the Palestinians basic needs.

How long would Hamas last if the Israeli's stopped the theft of homes with the settlements, stuck by a past agreement and gave back what was stolen, and acknowledged the needs of Palestinians and worked to allow them to live peacefully in their own homes?

I know that won't atone for the homes already stolen. I know this alone would not be enough. But this alone would be evidence that the Isrealis were trying to find a way to live with the Palestinians, as opposed to saying "my way or the highway."

Meanwhile, what comparable gesture could the Palestinian civilians make to show they are willing to live with the Israeli's? I can't think of one. Turning in Hamas would be to turn away the folks who are striving to get them food and medicines sufficient to live in the face of the Israeli blockades.

Israel has the strength and the resources so it is up to Israel to fix.

Failing that it is up to the US to cut off funding to Israel until Israel gets off its arse. Or maybe the UN could just recognize Palestine as a sovereign nation.

There are plenty of options here. Plenty.

I agree that the Israelis should give up the West bank settlements. But...

The reality the Israelis live with is being surrounded by largely antisemitic nations that want to see them gone. The idea that by showing some goodwill everybody would be best friends with them is very wrong. Really, the moment Gaza voted for Hamas, people should have realized this meant shit was goign to hit the fan. The fact that they've built a few hospitals and trying to pose as humanitarians for the rest of the world doesn't mean we should fall for that scam.

The Palestinian people could take the initiative by stopping their support for a party that demands genocide. What if they adopted a pacifist policy, take the Gandhi route so to speak? They would have their Palestinian nation fairly quickly. If Israel adopted a pacifist policy they'd be gone.

And there are plenty of Israeli initiatives to try to help the Gazan civilians. But it's pretty damn impossible to lift the blockade if you want to deprive Hamas of the possibility to arm themselves.
Arjan Dirkse

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#622  Postby Steve » Nov 22, 2012 6:39 pm

But there is no other way to make peace except by actually caring. None. You either fight to the death or you care. You are with us or against us. It isn't just being pacifist, it is getting the job done.

Obviously it isn't easy or it would have been done long ago.
As your desire is, so is your will.
As your will is, so is your deed.
As your deed is, so is your destiny
Blue Mountain Center of Meditation
Steve
RS Donator

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#623  Postby Scot Dutchy » Nov 22, 2012 6:41 pm

@Arjan Dirkse

I have not seen pink flying elephants yet.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#624  Postby tuco » Nov 22, 2012 6:55 pm

What-if .. there is no room for what-if's in the reality.

To say that its impossible to lift blockade or that its impossible to leave occupied territories or that its impossible to give up part of Jerusalem is to say: We are not going to negotiate your terms but you have to accept ours.

It is clear, we can debate how its clear but hopefully it will not be necessary, that Israel has much stronger position when it comes to negotiations. Since such negotiations are private, in my opinion should not be, we can only guess whether it uses this advantage to its full potential or not. I would guess they do, but what I think is irrelevant. What makes me uneasy, however, is that some people seem to believe that Hamas comes to table with demand for total destruction of Israel.

Nevertheless, realities have to be respected no question, from both sides. After a pub fight I cannot hold you in kravata, Arjan ;), forever only because I claim to believe you will try to hit me again. Well, I could if I was stronger, but fuck that I have other things to do.
tuco

Print view this post

#625  Postby Dudely » Nov 22, 2012 7:00 pm

Arjan Dirkse wrote:
The reality the Israelis live with is being surrounded by largely antisemitic nations that want to see them gone.

Gaza is literally full of people who were displaced when the Israelis took their land and forced them to leave. Now everyone who lives there hates them. And I'm supposed to beleive they're just being antisemitic? What do you think they'd have done if the people were, I don't know, Asian or something? Occupiers are always hated, it doesn't matter what religion they are.

Arjan Dirkse wrote:
The idea that by showing some goodwill everybody would be best friends with them is very wrong.

That's true. Things are fucked up well past the point that a good handshake would smooth things over.
This is what hydrogen atoms do given 15 billion years of evolution- Carl Sagan

Ignorance is slavery- Miles Davis
Dudely

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#626  Postby Arjan Dirkse » Nov 22, 2012 7:58 pm

tuco wrote:What makes me uneasy, however, is that some people seem to believe that Hamas comes to table with demand for total destruction of Israel.

It's Hamas's own claim, it's not some made up stuff.

Article 7 from the Hamas charter: Hamas is uniquely Palestinian,[20] and "strives to raise the banner of Allah over every inch of Palestine"

Article 13 from the Hamas charter: There is no negotiated settlement possible. Jihad is the only answer.
Arjan Dirkse

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#627  Postby Arjan Dirkse » Nov 22, 2012 8:03 pm

Dudely wrote:
Gaza is literally full of people who were displaced when the Israelis took their land and forced them to leave. Now everyone who lives there hates them. And I'm supposed to beleive they're just being antisemitic? What do you think they'd have done if the people were, I don't know, Asian or something? Occupiers are always hated, it doesn't matter what religion they are.

Probably, but that is no excuse for antisemitism. You can hate the country's policies, and the people who enforce them, but when you hate Jews as a people, and claim the Jew is behind every evil in the world, you have gone a few lightyears too far.

Steve wrote:But there is no other way to make peace except by actually caring. None. You either fight to the death or you care. You are with us or against us. It isn't just being pacifist, it is getting the job done.

Obviously it isn't easy or it would have been done long ago.

I agree with that, you have to sit down, talk, and show that you care. But Israel unfortunately can't afford to be pacifist. At this point in time, they need both the carrot and the stick. They have to care and fight.
Arjan Dirkse

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#628  Postby Imagination Theory » Nov 22, 2012 8:09 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Imagination Theory wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Lucy Wiggin wrote:Well, there were 13 rockets fired after the ceasefire.

I think Israel has definitely a certain amount of self-control, though it's not endless. Can you imagine the US taking 2,000 rockets a year?

Neither can I imagine the U.S. building colonies in Mexico for example.

Err, it already did that. Remember?

California, Nevada, Utah, Texas, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Kansas and Oklahoma.

I was talking about the present, not 2 and a half century ago.

The US is invading countries right now and if they wanted more of Mexico, they'd get it. It isn't very shocking.
Я пью за разоренный дом,
За злую жизнь мою,
За одиночество вдвоем,
И за тебя я пью, -
За ложь меня предавших губ,
За мертвый холод глаз,
За то, что мир жесток и груб,
За то, что Бог не спас.

Андре́евна

אני מתגעגע הביתה
Imagination Theory

Botswana (bw)
Print view this post

#629  Postby tuco » Nov 22, 2012 8:11 pm

Arjan Dirkse wrote:
tuco wrote:What makes me uneasy, however, is that some people seem to believe that Hamas comes to table with demand for total destruction of Israel.

Article 7 from the Hamas charter: Hamas is uniquely Palestinian,[20] and "strives to raise the banner of Allah over every inch of Palestine"

Article 13 from the Hamas charter: There is no negotiated settlement possible. Jihad is the only answer.

I am aware of this material, and its even possible that Hamas says it on TV from time to time.

Thinking of which, as a reaction to demand for status quo it is probably appropriate response. So the strategy is to come to table with nonsensical demands, then on a road to peace .. Hamas will trade inch of banner of Allah for East Jerusalem? What do I know, maybe they are like that. Whatever works for them is fine with me, but get to the table and do not leave before you have a mutual agreement.
tuco

Print view this post

#630  Postby Arjan Dirkse » Nov 22, 2012 8:24 pm

tuco wrote:
Arjan Dirkse wrote:

I am aware of this material, and its even possible that Hamas says it on TV from time to time.

Thinking of which, as a reaction to demand for status quo it is probably appropriate response. So the strategy is to come to table with nonsensical demands, then on a road to peace .. Hamas will trade inch of banner of Allah for East Jerusalem? What do I know, maybe they are like that. Whatever works for them is fine with me, but get to the table and do not leave before you have a mutual agreement.

I agree, it's not an excuse not to negotiate with them. But when they're negotiating they will have to compromise.
Arjan Dirkse

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#631  Postby Warren Dew » Nov 22, 2012 8:49 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Warren Dew wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:Concerning the recent conflict, however it seems Israel was the first agressor.

Source? My understanding is that the current minor crisis started with rockets fired from Gaza into Israel, albeit by minor terrorist groups, not by Hamas. I'm not sympathetic to Israel's behavior in general, but in this case they don't seem to have been the instigator.

I posted a link earlier in this thread:
http://antiwar.com/blog/2012/11/11/israels-latest-assault-on-gaza-the-lie-of-who-started-it/
If there are any flaws or missing things in that article, let me know.

To me, the main missing thing is the exact circumstances of the Gazan man who approached the border and was shot. How close did he approach? Was he in a free fire zone? Getting shot for walking up to the border should be considered normal for borders between hostile countries - try it with the border between the Koreas some time - and is not a reason for retaliation.

Incidentally, contrary to your link, I think most people who followed the events leading up to Cast Lead recognize that operation was unjustified primarily because there, it was Israel who broke the cease fire while Hamas had been adhering to it. Here, the situation is not nearly so clear.
Warren Dew

Male

Print view this post

#632  Postby Warren Dew » Nov 22, 2012 8:53 pm

Arjan Dirkse wrote:I agree that the Israelis should give up the West bank settlements.

I think a better solution would be for Israel to annex the entirety of the West Bank and make all residents there citizens. Israel would still be a strongly Jewish majority nation.

And there are plenty of Israeli initiatives to try to help the Gazan civilians. But it's pretty damn impossible to lift the blockade if you want to deprive Hamas of the possibility to arm themselves.

Obviously the blockade isn't working either, with rockets coming into Tel Aviv. What's needed is a policy to deprive the Gazans of the desire to use arms on Israel, rather than a futile policy to deny them the capability.
Warren Dew

Male

Print view this post

#633  Postby InDeoRideo » Nov 22, 2012 9:02 pm

I missed all the fun.
InDeoRideo

Male

Israel (il)
Print view this post

#634  Postby Arjan Dirkse » Nov 22, 2012 9:50 pm

Maybe we should just let Ismail Haniyah fight Benjamin Netanyahu in single combat, and let the winner take all.
Arjan Dirkse

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#635  Postby WayOfTheDodo » Nov 22, 2012 10:43 pm

Steve wrote:The Israeli's, for all their might and power, have no self control.

That is an odd claim, considering that the Israeli government has been sitting on its ass doing nothing for months, while hundreds of rockets have been terrorizing its own civilians. Furthermore, Israel has been forced to abort numerous attacks due to Hamas' strategy of using its own civilians as human shields. They're also warning civilans in Gaza in advance of attacks, and making use of precision bombs that only destroy the building that's hit (unless Hamas has rigged nearby buildings so that secondary explosions are set off).

The Israeli's have already lost the struggle and Hamas knows it. This spat will never end until Israel grows a pair, and stops the stupid game. Israel is making the rules and Hamas is whipping their ass, even though the Palestinians are getting most of the suffering.

Not sure how you think Israel is getting its ass whipped.
WayOfTheDodo

Name: Raphus Cucullatus

Mauritius (mu)
Print view this post

#636  Postby WayOfTheDodo » Nov 22, 2012 10:46 pm

pensioner wrote:
WayOfTheDodo wrote:
pensioner wrote:Zionists took over Arab land, often evicting the occupiers.

Source?

But the antagonism to the Arabs remained central.

Probably nothing to do with the massacres of Jews performed by Arabs, I guess?

A few names of the Arab towns and villages depopulated during the 1948 Palestinian exodus.

But that wasn't what we were discussing. We were discussing the Zionists, as in the people who were working towards the creation of a Jewish state. Before Israel was founded.

The 1948 Palestinian exodus, by the way, was a result of the Arabs attacking the newly founded state in an attempt to wipe it out. I'm sure even someone like you can understand how the Israelis took that seriously indeed, considering what they had just gone through during World War II.
WayOfTheDodo

Mauritius (mu)
Print view this post

#637  Postby WayOfTheDodo » Nov 22, 2012 10:47 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Yes. Sadly that is the problem and that is largely the fault of Hamas and their rocket campaign. That is the point I'm trying to get across.

A point which is incorrect.
http://antiwar.com/blog/2012/11/11/israels-latest-assault-on-gaza-the-lie-of-who-started-it/
Hamas's attacks, though wrong are just as much retaliatory as Israel's attacks. Both parties are to blame, virtually equally.

No, its you who are incorrect. To blame Israel, you have to dishonestly ignore the hundreds of rockets fired at Israeli civilians so far this year.

Remember, the Israeli government has been doing nothing most of the time. But when they do retaliate, it is a result of such attacks.

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
WayOfTheDodo wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:So you're going to completely ignore the destruction wrought by Israel during the occupation and the subsequent blockade, continued colonisation, and other acts of violence committed by Israel?

The blockade was set up after the Battle of Gaza between Hamas and Fatah in 2007. Israel left Gaza in 2005.

Your comment does not make sense.

It does, because it's just one of the many examples of agressive actions by Israel against the Palestinian people, after the occupation.
I'm not claiming the blockade took place immediately after the occupation. Subsequent doesn't necisarrily mean immediately after.

No, your comment does not make sense at all. You claim that the blockade is an aggressive action by Israel, when the fact is that it is a defensive measure which came to be because of the attacks against Israel.

Stop blaming Israel for being attacked and forced to defend itself, dammit.
Last edited by WayOfTheDodo on Nov 22, 2012 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WayOfTheDodo

Mauritius (mu)
Print view this post

#638  Postby WayOfTheDodo » Nov 22, 2012 10:58 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
WayOfTheDodo wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:Have you seen the article on the origins of Hamas that Factman posted?
I would expect, btw exactly this kind of behaviour of a people who have been driven to despair by another country colonising their land, preventing access to health care and other such necessities.

Yes, how terrible of Israel to defend itself when attacked by multiple nations, and of course from within, after being founded. How evil to occupy the attacker's territory.

Yes, because the founding of Israel wasn't accompanied by the eviction of many Palestinians to make room for the Jewish immigrants, right?

No. The exodus happened after Arabs inside and outside of Israel attacked the country. Imagine the mentality of the Jews at the time, who had just been through the Holocaust a couple of years before.

WayOfTheDodo wrote:
But Israel's history in this conflict is far from exemplary either, especially when it comes to maintaining the cease fires that have been agreed on.

What do you mean?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/nov/05/israelandthepalestinians[/quote]
Actually, rockets continued to be fired at Israel during this "ceasefire." Israel understandably wanted to stop the supply of rockets, so rather than bombing the shit out of these terrorists, they decided to shut down a smuggler tunnel.

So this was not a case of Israel being in violation of the ceasefire agreement. They tried to use a minimal amount of force in order to stop the rockets that were still falling on top of their civilians.

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
The problem is that the Israelis have rights too. They have the right to not be constantly terrorized by rockets.

Sure they do and it's deplorable that they have to, but it's not like Hamas started firing missiles out of the blue.

Actually, they did. Israel withdrew from Gaza in 2005, and Hamas decided that it was the perfect time to start attacking.
WayOfTheDodo

Mauritius (mu)
Print view this post

#639  Postby WayOfTheDodo » Nov 22, 2012 10:59 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
WayOfTheDodo wrote:You do realize that Israel left Gaza in 2005, and even forcibly removed Israeli citizens living there?

You do realise that they are still maintaining an illegal blockade, that they continue to built illegal settlements in both areas, that they continue to arrest people on trumped up charges, that they continue to shoot unarmed protesters?

The blockade is not illegal. I know you will disagree, but the fact is that there is an armed conflict, and blockades are perfectly legal in armed conflicts. Furthermore, the blockade did not happen until 2007, two years after Israel pulled out of Gaza. The blockade was set up because of the constant attacks from the area.

Settlements in Gaza? Where?

WayOfTheDodo wrote:They also left a thriving flower industry to the Gazans, which was burned to the ground by the very people who were given this gift, as a special thanks to Israel.

Yep, because a people should be uncritically thankful to another nation occupying their land and then being nice enough to leave some flowers when they're forced to leave.

Not just flowers. A thriving export industry. It says a lot about the mentality.

WayOfTheDodo wrote:Israel learned from Gaza. Or they should have. Apparently, lifting an occupation isn't going to do jack shit. In fact, it made things worse.

You really fail to see the problem with a country occupying another country and only leaving because they lost to many men?
You really think the occupied are going to be all in love with the occupiers all of the sudden?

I don't know why you think this rant is a relevant response to what I wrote. I merely pointed out that Gaza proves that asking Israel to end the occupation of an area is pointless because Israel now knows that ending the occupation will not bring peace.

Read the link posted by Steve.

Which I have already debunked.

WayOfTheDodo wrote:So why the fuck would they lift the occupation anywhere else?

Because the West bank isn't firing missiles, nor is it ruled by Hamas, yet Israel continues to build illegal settelements there and otherwise violate Palestinian rights.

There is still war. Gaza proved that lifting an occupation while the war is still going on is just going to make matters worse. Also, when Israel occupied the West Bank it had been annexed by Jordan without any complaints from the Arabs living there. And the green line in the West Bank is not an internationally recognized border anyway. In fact, the Arabs specifically demanded that it was not to be recognized as a border. So why are they suddenly contradicting themselves?
WayOfTheDodo

Mauritius (mu)
Print view this post

#640  Postby WayOfTheDodo » Nov 22, 2012 11:01 pm

mraltair wrote:
WayOfTheDodo wrote:You do realize that Israel left Gaza in 2005, and even forcibly removed Israeli citizens living there? They also left a thriving flower industry to the Gazans, which was burned to the ground by the very people who were given this gift, as a special thanks to Israel.

"What do you mean you don't think I'm nice? You don't like me? But I stopped kicking you in the balls."

What a silly comparison. It was the Arabs who attacked Israel and forced them to occupy in order to defend themselves. Just like Germany was the attacker during WWII, and forced the allies to invade and occupy the country in order to end the war.
WayOfTheDodo

Mauritius (mu)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs