Latest Syrian Government Chemical Weapon Attack

Followed by other war crimes

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Latest Syrian Government Chemical Weapon Attack

#221  Postby mrjonno » Apr 19, 2017 3:41 pm

Such sickening morals is why we're in this situation. How wonderful a world we'd live in if everyone thought like this.

If everyone thought like this the world would actually be a lot nicer place. People would only screw other people over if it was in their rational interest to do so and could take preventive measures. Most the misery in this world is due to entirely irrational reasons like religion , racism, nationalism etc
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#222  Postby Oldskeptic » Apr 19, 2017 4:28 pm

Willie71 wrote:How many are aware that the main issue in Syria is a natural gas pipeline that could have massive impacts on the gas supply to Europe? Dead babies are the convenient moralizing propaganda, but behind this is billions in revenue at stake.

Bullshit.
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#223  Postby Tzelemel » Apr 19, 2017 4:39 pm

Willie71 wrote:How many are aware that the main issue in Syria is a natural gas pipeline that could have massive impacts on the gas supply to Europe? Dead babies are the convenient moralizing propaganda, but behind this is billions in revenue at stake.

What? You mean this one?

I've only given it a cursory glance, but it looks as if the only ones with revenue at stake are the Iraqis, Iranians, Lebanese and Syrians.
Tzelemel

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#224  Postby aban57 » Apr 19, 2017 5:04 pm

Oldskeptic wrote:

Bullshit.

And oversimplification. Clearly, much more is at stake here than just a pipeline. Religious influence, Russia's interests, and of course there's this little thing about Assad murdering his own people to get them in line.
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#225  Postby crank » Apr 19, 2017 5:25 pm

Tzelemel wrote:

What? You mean this one?

I've only given it a cursory glance, but it looks as if the only ones with revenue at stake are the Iraqis, Iranians, Lebanese and Syrians.

Loss of revenue is just as much a motivator as revenue. The BS in Ukraine was in part about a pipeline and oil supply agreements. You think it's just a coincidence that US State is now run by Exxon? Stealing form a comment from Jeffrey Sachs I just heard, he should have kept his CEO job, it would have been more honest and made more sense.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#226  Postby crank » Apr 19, 2017 5:27 pm

mrjonno wrote:
Such sickening morals is why we're in this situation. How wonderful a world we'd live in if everyone thought like this.

If everyone thought like this the world would actually be a lot nicer place. People would only screw other people over if it was in their rational interest to do so and could take preventive measures. Most the misery in this world is due to entirely irrational reasons like religion , racism, nationalism etc

You re one of those who would happily screw over any number of people if it was to you and your family's benefit. Don't you listen to what you yourself say?
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#227  Postby Willie71 » Apr 19, 2017 8:01 pm

aban57 wrote:
Oldskeptic wrote:

Bullshit.

And oversimplification. Clearly, much more is at stake here than just a pipeline. Religious influence, Russia's interests, and of course there's this little thing about Assad murdering his own people to get them in line.

Yes it's oversimplified, but there is a direct correlation between interventions and countries that have oil reserves.

Russia's influence? You mean their revenues are at stake?

You missed the part where Assad isn't actually connected to the gas attack by any currently known evidence?

Religion? Fluff for politicians to moralize about.
We should probably go for a can of vegetables because not only would it be a huge improvement, you'd also be able to eat it at the end.
Willie71

Name: Warren Krywko
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#228  Postby Willie71 » Apr 19, 2017 8:04 pm

Tzelemel wrote:

What? You mean this one?

And who are the allies of those countries and what do they have at stake?
We should probably go for a can of vegetables because not only would it be a huge improvement, you'd also be able to eat it at the end.
Willie71

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#229  Postby Willie71 » Apr 19, 2017 8:13 pm

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-04-0 ... ssed-again

Discussion of the actors and what is at stake.
Willie71

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#230  Postby Willie71 » Apr 19, 2017 8:14 pm

Oldskeptic wrote:

Bullshit.

Wrong.
Willie71

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#231  Postby aban57 » Apr 19, 2017 8:47 pm

Willie71 wrote:
aban57 wrote:
Oldskeptic wrote:

Bullshit.

Yes it's oversimplified, but there is a direct correlation between interventions and countries that have oil reserves.

Again, oversimplification. Just because Bush invaded Irak just to steal their oil doesn't mean all interventions are the same.

Willie71 wrote:Russia's influence? You mean their revenues are at stake?
Why do you think he's so present there ? Is it just because Putin and Assad are best pals ?

Willie71 wrote:You missed the part where Assad isn't actually connected to the gas attack by any currently known evidence?

I never mentionned this attack. But it looks like you forgot how this conflict started. And the hundreds of thousands people killed by Assad's regime in the last 4/5 years.

Willie71 wrote:Religion? Fluff for politicians to moralize about.
Sure. Because religion is not the reason Iran and SA are fueling the conflict, giving weapons to both sides. Of course not. Religion is not the reason why SA financed ISIS in the first place. Sure.
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#232  Postby mrjonno » Apr 19, 2017 9:51 pm

You re one of those who would happily screw over any number of people if it was to you and your family's benefit. Don't you listen to what you yourself say?

Absolutely but I wouldn't do if for racist, homophobic, religious or countless other irrational reasons. In most cases I simply wouldn't have any reason to interfere in anyone else's lives (or anyone in mine). Most people's bigotry and violence doesn't bring them any benefits. Most violence in this world is along the lines of 'you looking at my wife' shit, ie honour crap.

Anyway I'm of to bed tonight after a nice pizza and while I sleep soundly a 100 children somewhere in the world will starve to death or being murdered in some hell hole. I do care a little bit but not enough to lose any sleep over and tomorrow I will get up and do a rather boring middle class job and worry about some really quite unimportant deadline, and if people are actually honest with themselves they don't care that much either while they get on with their lives. That's human nature that's your nature (unless of course you have decided to volunteer to work for the Red Cross and have gone to Syria risking your lives to save others which I somehow doubt)
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#233  Postby proudfootz » Apr 19, 2017 10:46 pm

tuco wrote:
proudfootz wrote:
Alan B wrote:IBT
MIT expert claims latest chemical weapons attack in Syria was staged

A leading weapons academic has claimed that the Khan Sheikhoun nerve agent attack in Syria was staged, raising questions about who was responsible.

Theodore Postol, a professor emeritus at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), issued a series of three reports in response to the White House's finding that Syrian President Bashar Al-Assad perpetrated the attack on 4 April.
He concluded that the US government's report does not provide any "concrete" evidence that Assad was responsible, adding it was more likely that the attack was perpetrated by players on the ground.

Postol said: "I have reviewed the [White House's] document carefully, and I believe it can be shown, without doubt, that the document does not provide any evidence whatsoever that the US government has concrete knowledge that the government of Syria was the source of the chemical attack in Khan Sheikhoun, Syria at roughly 6am to 7am on 4 April, 2017.

"In fact, a main piece of evidence that is cited in the document point to an attack that was executed by individuals on the ground, not from an aircraft, on the morning of 4 April.

"This conclusion is based on an assumption made by the White House when it cited the source of the sarin release and the photographs of that source. My own assessment is that the source was very likely tampered with or staged, so no serious conclusion could be made from the photographs cited by the White House."

Hmmm. The plot thickens...

In 'realpolitick' you do what you gotta do.

Maybe there should be some military strikes against the fuckers who are funding these nasties? :ask:

lol and wb. Glad to see couple of people coming back, adds to variety and, well, action.

At this point, and I am aware of non-consequence, I'd wish it was indeed the regime who did it but maybe facts will get in way.

It's hilarious to see folks wagging their fingers at 'moralisers' who are too naive to talk politics work themselves up over alleged 'tinpot dictators' and other moralizing about what must be done about them.

Me, I don't try to let who I wish did it get in the way of actually knowing who did it - if indeed it was done at all.

Jumping up and down and shrieking that someone has to be bombed every time a photo of a dead kid is published on the internet is exactly what will destabilize the whole planet. It actually would seem to me to be a symptom of an unstable mind.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#234  Postby proudfootz » Apr 19, 2017 10:52 pm

crank wrote:
proudfootz wrote:
mrjonno wrote:
Plus, only Syrians get killed - and no one gives a flying fuck about them. Their lives aren't worth anything. Realpolitick!

A Syrian life is not worth the same as citizen of a government electorate. That's just reality that moralisers just don't get.

A dead Syrian baby make upset people for 24 hours but not as much as taxes going up 1% or inflation going up 0.1%

So true! Dead Syrians are just good for whipping up support for killing more Syrians. And maybe (keep you fingers crossed!) getting some of our own troops killed in a far off land for a cause the public will never be allowed to learn.

But the reality is that the money that goes into starting a 'revolution' against the Syrian government is costing money, too. These Al Qaeda and ISIS armies we've been training ain't cheap. So the reality is, some of the tax dollars I just paid will go to killing more brown people in a far off land, creating more refugees, and propaganda efforts to make sure we're all talking about anything but the reality.

But the reality is that the corporate media - some owned by the same folks who agitate for war and sell weapons to terrorists, armies, and our own military - has a conflict of interest in reporting the truth. So they go for the 'moralising' about dead Syrian babies and other nonsense their bosses helped kill.

Maybe the 'moralisers' would 'get it' if the government and the press would stop lying 24/7 about what's going on.

Me, I'm apt to blame the liars, and not the folks being lied to. ymmv

Or the folks getting slaughtered by the liars.

We have to murder Syrians to save the Syrians is the New Millennial way to say we had to destroy the village to save it.

The sad thing is that there are people who actually believe this bullshit with a religious intensity.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#235  Postby proudfootz » Apr 19, 2017 10:58 pm

crank wrote:
mrjonno wrote:
Who is it that decides which government is good enough so its citizens get deemed superior?

In a democracy whoever votes for that democracy, outside a democracy whoever has the biggest guns.

My values are generally pretty average

1) look after myself and my family
2) try not to hurt anyone else

1 takes priority over 2

You lack any kind of perspective, clearly. 'looking after myself and my family' isn't a requirement for short-term, tunnel-vision thinking. What you keep pushing for is going to destroy the prospects for your children and their children to have a decent life. And that just shows how stupid your thinking is, it says nothing about the moral bankruptcy demonstrated.

This is how demagogues like Trump get elected. Me first.

But from a 'realpolitick' perspective, there's no reason to be upset at Trump running rampant. The only 'metric' is winning - it doesn't matter how one does it.
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#236  Postby Byron » Apr 19, 2017 11:00 pm

proudfootz wrote:[...] I'm suggesting knowing whether there was a chemical attack, and knowing who was responsible, would make any action that might be taken more effective.

If Syria is going to 'pay the price' for a crime that might never even have occurred there is little incentive for them not to 'do the crime'. So random attacks against innocent people just incentivizes the most extreme acts out of self-defense.

Loathed as I am to discuss evidence with you after the Sollecito and Knox thread, since this bizarrely managed to pick up likes, could either you or your supporters clarify if you're claiming that nerve gas wasn't used?

'Cause if so, you've managed to go one better than the net's lizards' nest, which at least confines itself to writing this off as a false flag.
I don't believe in the no-win scenario.
Kirk, Enterprise

Ms. Lovelace © Ms. Padua, resident of 2D Goggles
Byron

Male

Print view this post

#237  Postby crank » Apr 19, 2017 11:19 pm

Byron wrote:
proudfootz wrote:[...] I'm suggesting knowing whether there was a chemical attack, and knowing who was responsible, would make any action that might be taken more effective.

If Syria is going to 'pay the price' for a crime that might never even have occurred there is little incentive for them not to 'do the crime'. So random attacks against innocent people just incentivizes the most extreme acts out of self-defense.

Loathed as I am to discuss evidence with you after the Sollecito and Knox thread, since this bizarrely managed to pick up likes, could either you or your supporters clarify if you're claiming that nerve gas wasn't used?

'Cause if so, you've managed to go one better than the net's lizards' nest, which at least confines itself to writing this off as a false flag.

Wow, bitching about discussing evidence, but somehow ignored the evidence provided, and no one I've come across thinks there wasn't some kind of gas used, was probably nerve gas, but I don't know if that is definitive yet. From the pix I posted, it's really hard to see how the gas came from the air. And the guy who did the report, that proudfootz cited, is a well respected expert in the field.
crank
RS Donator

Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#238  Postby Byron » Apr 19, 2017 11:31 pm

crank wrote:Wow, bitching about discussing evidence, but somehow ignored the evidence provided, and no one I've come across thinks there wasn't some kind of gas used, was probably nerve gas, but I don't know if that is definitive yet. From the pix I posted, it's really hard to see how the gas came from the air. And the guy who did the report, that proudfootz cited, is a well respected expert in the field.

If proudfootz agrees that nerve gas was probably used, that's my objection dispensed with, and back to false flag discussion it goes.
Kirk, Enterprise

Byron

Male

Print view this post

#239  Postby proudfootz » Apr 19, 2017 11:36 pm

Byron wrote:

Loathed as I am to discuss evidence with you after the Sollecito and Knox thread*, since this bizarrely managed to pick up likes, could either you or your supporters clarify if you're claiming that nerve gas wasn't used?

So bizarre that on a site with the words 'rational' and 'skepticism' on its masthead would have people who like a post exhibiting rational skepticism. Weird, eh? Who'd've thunk it?

Since the claims about this alleged 'gas attack' come from dubious sources - USA's terrorist allies in the conflict, the fellows who are so damned 'moderate' they chop off journalist's heads - it would appear to me to be a rational thing to treat unsubstantiated claims like these with some skepticism.

But as you've already planted your flag on the hill of 'it doesn't even matter if this was merely an accident and there was no bad intent' you seem to have a peculiar way of picking which sorts of things you loathe. One minute you don't even want an investigation into the matter, now suddenly I'm expected to 'prove a negative'? And it took you how many days of licking your wounds to come up with this unanswerable gambit?

:roll:

No, our ISIS and Al Qaeda friends controlling the area where this 'gas attack' allegedly occurred bear the burden of proof for their claims. As it stands the photographic evidence would seem to indicate whatever happened is the responsibility of the terrorists controlling Idlib.

I suppose in your eyes MIT is a bit of a 'lizard nest' - all those eggheads whose opinions are evidence-based must be held in contempt by the shoot-first-and-dodge-questions-later types.

I can see why some fear lizards.

Not sure why you're still butthurt over this months old issue of K&S thrillkillers - but if you want to discuss it, why not do it there?
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#240  Postby Byron » Apr 19, 2017 11:46 pm

Well glad that's been clarified, such as it ever will be.

As you were.
Kirk, Enterprise

Byron

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs