Migrant Children Don’t Need Soap

They aren’t guaranteed access to basic hygiene or bedding, the Justice Department claims

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Migrant Children Don’t Need Soap

#21  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 27, 2019 6:15 am

I'm With Stupid wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:Finally, there's also the smell factor, even when soap does not contain a fragrance, it helps remove sweat from the body thereby removing the source for body flora bacteria to metabolize and produce that the nasty odor which is again, a social cost, but also can become very uncomfortable even when it's you who smells - if you've ever spent days trekking in a hot place, you'll know it's just unpleasant and the first thing you want to do is soap that off.

My last holiday was in Borneo and I had a few days where I had no soap, just a shower. I can't say I noticed much difference to be honest. There's definitely a psychological factor, where you don't feel as clean because you didn't use it, but there's no increase in smell. If you have a shower after exercise, the sweat doesn't stay on you regardless of whether you use soap, and leaving sweat there is what causes the smell. There are people online doing the 'no soap or shampoo' challenge who say that their girlfriends didn't even notice. The shampoo one is odd, because there's a transition period where your hair feels shit, but after a couple of weeks, the hair starts to produce natural oils again. Although it's worth mentioning that the people doing the challenge say they still use soap to wash their hands before cooking and stuff like that.

To me the issue is not so much if we really need soap, it's the juxtaposition with actual criminal inmates who do reserve soap, when innocent children don't.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#22  Postby felltoearth » Jun 27, 2019 9:35 am

This seems to be a very silly thing to be arguing about. “I once spent a week without shoes. Who really needs them, then?”
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Svartalf » Jun 27, 2019 10:43 am

dunno, These days I take 2 showers out of 3 without soap or shampoo, no need, it's just to refresh myself and get rid of the sweat.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#24  Postby felltoearth » Jun 28, 2019 1:30 am

Svartalf wrote:dunno, These days I take 2 showers out of 3 without soap or shampoo, no need, it's just to refresh myself and get rid of the sweat.

You understand that’s a choice you make and you have the freedom to use soap like any other human being.
Additionally, you don’t live in an unsanitary cage cheek and jowl with other people in the same situation. There is real risk of disease breaking out in these conditions. Jesus people, can’t fucking believe we’re actually having this conversation.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#25  Postby chango369 » Jul 01, 2019 6:08 pm

Conditions of a temporary migrant camp in McAllen TX

dt25.jpg
dt25.jpg (110.98 KiB) Viewed 1214 times

Source: Reuters-U.S. Border Patrol migrant camp from above (slide show)
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

Frank Zappa
chango369

Name: Chris
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Fallible » Jul 01, 2019 9:03 pm

Good god.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#27  Postby newolder » Jul 01, 2019 9:21 pm

via twitter
Congresswoman Madeleine Dean @RepDean

1h
Just left the first CBP facility. The conditions are far worse than we ever could have imagined.

15 women in their 50s- 60s sleeping in a small concrete cell, no running water. Weeks without showers. All of them separated from their families.

This is a human rights crisis.

and

Judy Chu @RepJudyChu
1h
"If you want water, just drink from a toilet." That's what border patrol told one thirsty woman we met on today's #DemsAtTheBorder trip. These are the same CBP personnel who threatened to throw burritos at members of Congress. Changes must be made. #DontLookAway

+ many more in similar vein.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#28  Postby Alan C » Jul 01, 2019 10:46 pm

Wow, what a gorram farce this whole sorry situation is. I wonder about the stress these CBP agents must be under but then it's likely that some of them are just bigoted fucking arseholes who should be cleaning the toilets instead.

Would I be correct in assuming that refugee camps are generally better organised than these places?
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Animavore » Jul 02, 2019 9:14 am

Secret Facebook group from ICE employees shows them openly mocking refugees and posting racist and violent memes.

https://www.propublica.org/article/inve ... _gUD-vys8#
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#30  Postby felltoearth » Jul 02, 2019 9:30 am

But milkshakes...
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#31  Postby chango369 » Jul 02, 2019 3:12 pm

Exhibits of declarations taken from migrant children in McAllen/Clint TX.

Some snippets:

My baby was naked outside with no blanket for all four days we were there. We were freezing. My baby couldn't sleep because the ground was cement with rocks, and in some places only rocks, and everytime she moved the sharp ground would scratch her. There were many pregnant women who had to sleep on rocks and I felt very badly for them.

Three days after our arrival at Ursula, we were permitted to shower. I was told to put my remaining clothes, including the ticket for my personal items that were registered by the Border Control (at the first location where I was detained) in a bag. When we left the showers, we were told that the Ursula guards had thrown away our bags of clothing and my ticket for personal items. The guards told me that I could not get back my items.

have to take my nephew and cuddle with his little body to keep him warm. There is another cage that is closest to the air conditioners and I feel bad for those children. They put the fathers with daughters in that cage and they are so freezing. I think it is a way of punishing them and it makes me so sad.

The cruelty IS the point.

Link to exhibits

Frank Zappa
chango369

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Alan C » Jul 02, 2019 7:20 pm

It appears at this stage the administration is not the least bit shamed by this manifest inhuman cruelty. Unsurprisingly, Melania and Ivanka are silent.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#33  Postby Seabass » Jul 02, 2019 7:39 pm

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire

"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Gazpacho Police

Print view this post

#34  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 03, 2019 6:22 am

"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#35  Postby chango369 » Jul 04, 2019 7:23 pm

dt26.jpg
dt26.jpg (238.43 KiB) Viewed 1104 times

Frank Zappa
chango369

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#36  Postby Stein » Jul 05, 2019 12:41 am

Posterity will always remember what's spotlighted on this video as THE image of this era. Years from now, it will be these Trump Camps that will hang like a dead weight around America's soul --

https://youtu.be/x-iWJEOrKYg

Stein
Stein

United States (us)
Print view this post

#37  Postby Animavore » Jul 05, 2019 11:24 am

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#38  Postby Stein » Jul 20, 2019 4:21 am

Remember, a great nation isn't a great nation unless it makes as many vulnerable children as possible totally miserable. No one will respect us unless we inflict the most humiliating degradation possible on those who are helpless. That's what proves we are a real Empire.

So, not only ought we to inflict as much suffering on the most helpless as possible, we should also be sure to violate as many codes of decency and law as we possibly can, or no one will properly fear us. We are above any law BECAUSE we are the most powerful. We SHOULD flout the law BECAUSE that's how we remind everyone we're NUMBER ONE. The way to do this is to leave even more children dying on a concrete floor with no parent in sight and to also be sure to bring around good white neighbors to celebrate the suffering with picnics and bonfires and make a spectacle of it, the way we did back when America was really America, and real Americans knew how to celebrate a proper lynching. Look it up. Those were the days when America was great, and that's what our dear leader is bringing back. When we celebrate tearing countless children from their parents, we fulfill our destiny as the most kick-ass Empire there ever was. Yeah.

Come celebrate with me as we make lampshades out of the orphaned children's skins. Come celebrate with me as we show the world just what they can do with their naive laws that mandate seekers of asylum as FUCKING LEGAL. That's right: FUCKING LEGAL. Isn't that a laugh? What a puny, weak-wristed notion, to view openly asking for asylum as FUCKING LEGAL. But of course, that's WHY we should violate it. BeCAAAUUUSE it's the law and therefore it HAS to be broken in order to prove just how kick-ass we are.

Enjoy your Kool-Aid.................

Stein
Stein

United States (us)
Print view this post

#39  Postby Tortured_Genius » Jul 20, 2019 7:33 pm

Hmm. ... I think Stein may have a point - it's all about Real Ultimate Power
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#40  Postby Cito di Pense » Jul 21, 2019 10:39 am

Stein wrote:Remember, a great nation isn't a great nation unless it makes as many vulnerable children as possible totally miserable. No one will respect us unless we inflict the most humiliating degradation possible on those who are helpless. That's what proves we are a real Empire.

So, not only ought we to inflict as much suffering on the most helpless as possible, we should also be sure to violate as many codes of decency and law as we possibly can, or no one will properly fear us. We are above any law BECAUSE we are the most powerful. We SHOULD flout the law BECAUSE that's how we remind everyone we're NUMBER ONE. The way to do this is to leave even more children dying on a concrete floor with no parent in sight and to also be sure to bring around good white neighbors to celebrate the suffering with picnics and bonfires and make a spectacle of it, the way we did back when America was really America, and real Americans knew how to celebrate a proper lynching. Look it up. Those were the days when America was great, and that's what our dear leader is bringing back. When we celebrate tearing countless children from their parents, we fulfill our destiny as the most kick-ass Empire there ever was. Yeah.

Come celebrate with me as we make lampshades out of the orphaned children's skins. Come celebrate with me as we show the world just what they can do with their naive laws that mandate seekers of asylum as FUCKING LEGAL. That's right: FUCKING LEGAL. Isn't that a laugh? What a puny, weak-wristed notion, to view openly asking for asylum as FUCKING LEGAL. But of course, that's WHY we should violate it. BeCAAAUUUSE it's the law and therefore it HAS to be broken in order to prove just how kick-ass we are.

Enjoy your Kool-Aid.................

Stein

If you think this is fun, wait until climate change causes serious migration pressure. If you're young enough, you may live to see open genocidal war conducted against people who have nothing. Running around like the doomsday chicken and clucking about soap is great if all you want is attention. You can pick any incidental news item off the wire and find something to cluck about.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs