Minneapolis 3rd Precinct set on fire

Minneapolis Riots

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Minneapolis 3rd Precinct set on fire

#141  Postby Animavore » May 31, 2020 11:27 am

George Floyd's brother says Trump didn't give him 'the opportunity to even speak' in conversation

https://www.msnbc.com/politicsnation/wa ... xoWKZG7ilE
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#142  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » May 31, 2020 11:34 am

Trump doesn't let anyone speak.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#143  Postby theropod_V_2.0 » May 31, 2020 11:55 am

Keep It Real wrote:
Alan C wrote:There's no probably about it, it should be plainly apparent that there has been and still is widespread systemic discrimination against black and brown people in the US. This manifests in a number ways including economics and districting. It wasn't a case of you 'having to illustrate' this for users here, which I suspect most know, it was not coming off like you're giving the impression of believing the "black people are more criminal therefore they get what they deserve" trope.

The salient point here is that everybody JUMPED TO THE CONCLUSION I was saying black people commit more crime because of GENETICS - ie I am a racist - when there was NO reason to jump to that conclusion. In EXACTLY the same way everybody's jumped to the conclusion Chauvin is a racist. Weeping deities I despair at the human race sometimes.

Then you should have no issues supplying a link to a reputable source that supports the shit you posted about black people.

We can expect that citation very soon, right?

:coffee:

RS
“Sleeping in the hen house doesn’t make you a chicken”.
theropod_V_2.0

Name: R.A.

United States (us)
Print view this post

#144  Postby Hermit » May 31, 2020 11:58 am

Keep It Real wrote:
The salient point here is that everybody JUMPED TO THE CONCLUSION I was saying black people commit more crime because of GENETICS...

Oh my... You're just trying to distract us from the fact now that you falsely asserted the killing was not murder and there was no shred of evidence it has a single scintilla of racism about it.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#145  Postby Keep It Real » May 31, 2020 12:10 pm

theropod_V_2.0 wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:
Alan C wrote:There's no probably about it, it should be plainly apparent that there has been and still is widespread systemic discrimination against black and brown people in the US. This manifests in a number ways including economics and districting. It wasn't a case of you 'having to illustrate' this for users here, which I suspect most know, it was not coming off like you're giving the impression of believing the "black people are more criminal therefore they get what they deserve" trope.

The salient point here is that everybody JUMPED TO THE CONCLUSION I was saying black people commit more crime because of GENETICS - ie I am a racist - when there was NO reason to jump to that conclusion. In EXACTLY the same way everybody's jumped to the conclusion Chauvin is a racist. Weeping deities I despair at the human race sometimes.

Then you should have no issues supplying a link to a reputable source that supports the shit you posted about black people.

We can expect that citation very soon, right?

:coffee:

RS

It’s true that around 13 per cent of Americans are black, according to the latest estimates from the US Census Bureau.

And yes, according to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, black offenders committed 52 per cent of homicides recorded in the data between 1980 and 2008. Only 45 per cent of the offenders were white. Homicide is a broader category than “murder” but let’s not split hairs.

Blacks were disproportionately likely to commit homicide and to be the victims. In 2008 the offending rate for blacks was seven times higher than for whites and the victimisation rate was six times higher.

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-black-americans-commit-crime

while black inmates make up nearly 40% of the prison population, they only make up 13.40% of the total US population.

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/incarceration-rates-by-race-ethnicity-and-gender-in-the-u-s.html
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#146  Postby Keep It Real » May 31, 2020 12:13 pm

Hermit wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:
The salient point here is that everybody JUMPED TO THE CONCLUSION I was saying black people commit more crime because of GENETICS...

Oh my... You're just trying to distract us from the fact now that you falsely asserted the killing was not murder and there was no shred of evidence it has a single scintilla of racism about it.

OK, so I admit I did not know the definition of third degree murder (ie - that it does not reguire intent). Got any more straws to grasp at in your efforts to shoot me down on this one Hermit?
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#147  Postby Thomas Eshuis » May 31, 2020 12:39 pm

Animavore wrote:
George Floyd's brother says Trump didn't give him 'the opportunity to even speak' in conversation

https://www.msnbc.com/politicsnation/wa ... xoWKZG7ilE

I would've hung up the moment I heard his voice.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#148  Postby Thomas Eshuis » May 31, 2020 12:43 pm

Keep It Real wrote:

The salient point here is that everybody JUMPED TO THE CONCLUSION I was saying black people commit more crime because of GENETICS

Because that was literally what you said, even if you did not intent to.

Keep It Real wrote:ie I am a racist - when there was NO reason to jump to that conclusion.

You literally said:
Keep It Real wrote:
You've conveniently neglected to factor in to your post that African Americans are faaaar more likely to commit serious crime, and therefore find themselves in "shoot out" situations with police, than Caucasian Americans.

You did not qualify that statement with any nuance in that post.
Note that I never called you a racist, because I assumed you were just making an incomplete statement.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#149  Postby aliihsanasl » May 31, 2020 12:44 pm

Just a few weeks ago he didnt let a nurse express her thoughts too, this is why he has good relations with Erdoğan. As in the saying "tell me who your friend is, I'll tell you who you are" :grin:

Whole Minneapolis state's population is 425k my district Kadıköy is 509k according to 2007 census and Kadıköy 25 km², Minneapolis is 148,9 km²
"If someday my teachings conflict with science, choose science"

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
aliihsanasl

Male

Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

#150  Postby chango369 » May 31, 2020 12:56 pm

The ongoing protests following the killing of George Floyd were caught up in violence again on Saturday, as police all over the country teargassed protestors, drove vehicles through crowds, opened fire with non-lethal rounds on journalists or people on their own property, and in at least one instance, pushed over an elderly man who was walking away with a cane. Here are some of the ways law enforcement officers escalated the national unrest.

Police Erupt in Violence Nationwide

ETA: There's a summary video with more of this police-gone-wild behavior here:

https://twitter.com/AnnaKendrick47/stat ... 6649933824
Last edited by chango369 on May 31, 2020 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

Frank Zappa
chango369

Name: Chris
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#151  Postby Hermit » May 31, 2020 1:16 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:

OK, so I admit I did not know the definition of third degree murder (ie - that it does not reguire intent). Got any more straws to grasp at in your efforts to shoot me down on this one Hermit?

What exactly is strawlike in linking to a post you now admit to have made a false assertion? Also, what exactly is strawlike in the other one I linked to, and which you ignored?
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#152  Postby Keep It Real » May 31, 2020 2:11 pm

The first statement is a mere quibble over a highly obscure point in the semantics of esoteric legal terminology in the states. A straw. I stand by the latter statement - if you have some definitive evidence of racism, provide it - I've seen squat so far. Less than a straw.
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#153  Postby Fenrir » May 31, 2020 2:17 pm

Keep It Real wrote:<snip> - if you have some definitive evidence of racism, provide it - I've seen squat so far. Less than a straw.

You don't get to grade your own paper.

People can, and have, made up their own minds based entirely on your own posts.

And "definitive" anything is not required, that's just a dodge.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#154  Postby felltoearth » May 31, 2020 2:49 pm

Keep It Real wrote:The first statement is a mere quibble over a highly obscure point in the semantics of esoteric legal terminology in the states. A straw. I stand by the latter statement - if you have some definitive evidence of racism, provide it - I've seen squat so far. Less than a straw.

Chauvin has a pattern of getting in trouble for shooting POC.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#155  Postby laklak » May 31, 2020 3:01 pm

Whole bunch of citizen complaints against him.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#156  Postby Hermit » May 31, 2020 3:06 pm

Keep It Real wrote:The first statement is a mere quibble over a highly obscure point in the semantics of esoteric legal terminology in the states. A straw. I stand by the latter statement - if you have some definitive evidence of racism, provide it - I've seen squat so far. Less than a straw.

The first point is not a mere quibble over a highly obscure point in the semantics of esoteric legal terminology in the USA. You are clearly committing murder when you keep kneeling on the neck of a handcuffed person for over two minutes after he ceases to complain that he cannot breathe and has become unresponsive for that period of time.

The second point is that your refusal to see the the forest because you insist on looking at a singular tree makes your denial of a racist component of the murder utterly absurd. The only police officer who was recently convicted of an unlawful killing was black. The woman he killed was white. Are you seriously proposing that cases involving wrongful killings of white people by the police are not reported?

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#157  Postby felltoearth » May 31, 2020 3:20 pm

There was that third point, which is the Morgan Freeman quote. Note how quickly that was dropped. He’s conceded his ignorance of the point about murder. Still doubling down on whether or not this particular incident is racist v. a police force that has a history of racist incidents and an officer who has seemingly contributed to that history in one way or another.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#158  Postby Animavore » May 31, 2020 4:33 pm

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#159  Postby The_Piper » May 31, 2020 4:49 pm

Reverend Mike Pence. In the top 10 most kneeable groins in the country.

The cop who did the murdering's wife filed for divorce. I wonder if that was done for her safety or from her genuinely condemning her husband's disgusting wanton murder.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#160  Postby Animavore » May 31, 2020 4:53 pm

Or to protect assets some suggest.

We won't know unless she makes a statement.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs