Missouri has officially turned into a warzone

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Missouri has officially turned into a warzone

#221  Postby Peter Brown » Aug 21, 2014 9:33 am

Calilasseia wrote:Meanwhile ... was it really necessary to pump nine rounds into an unarmed man?

Missouri really has a serious problem here.

dam, that was another execution in cold blood.
Peter Brown

Print view this post

#222  Postby whereami » Aug 21, 2014 9:36 am

Check the video I posted earlier. Shocking. Although, apparently the guy had a knife. So it seems he was going for death by cop.
whereami
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#223  Postby Peter Brown » Aug 21, 2014 9:51 am

whereami wrote:Nah, it's about poorly trained cops, and the underlying racism in parts of the US.

The actions by the police seem highly trained to me from all the various murders I've seen them commit on YT, and by the behaviour and attitude they have when performing their duty.
Going on from that I will say politically this is exactly how conservatives act in government if they were the police. In government tough on scroungers, remove life supporting benefits, as police, tough on crime, shoot the poor dead. That is my seen pattern.

But like the research in political trends, what the government is like in power, is not representative at all to the people on the street. You want change vote Obama, you get change, more Bush policies pushing you right than ever before.

I'm less certain on the racial racism, certainly stereotyping and profiling are in full control. On one hand I can see each cop inviting the victim home for dinner and on the other hand shooting them dead because they didn't obey instantly.
Peter Brown

Print view this post

#224  Postby Peter Brown » Aug 21, 2014 9:53 am

whereami wrote:Check the video I posted earlier. Shocking. Although, apparently the guy had a knife. So it seems he was going for death by cop.

Which is a guaranteed certainty in America, but not in the rest of the world.
Peter Brown

Print view this post

#225  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 21, 2014 1:39 pm

whereami wrote:

Hey whereami, welcome to the forum. To get youtube links to work, you need to remove the -s at the end of htttp.
I.e. thus: http://youtube.com/etc
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#226  Postby Blood » Aug 21, 2014 1:40 pm

Peter Brown wrote:
GT2211 wrote:
Peter Brown wrote:cigarellos, oh my, I just looked them up. I thought they were mini thin cigars for a hard man "gangstar" but they are f-n sweets ffs

Nah the sweets are popular for younger potsmokers.

as are the sweet cigars... they empty the contents and replace it with another leaf, and yep, it was in a vid about the shooting of MB I heard this, from someone on the political right? he blames the left for all the woes anyhow.

But after watching I was left with a large question mark regarding those who are protesting. The community seems to want a culture change and it doesn't look like the powers that be wants to go that route.
Cold Dead Hand with Jim Carrey
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0Wn3Eey6dY

Oh, great. Stefan Molyeaux. I was just thinking, "What the black community really needs now is a smug white libertarian lecturing them about what's wrong about their culture." He defends the perp and slanders the victims -- implying they deserved to get killed -- in all his videos.
"One absurdity having been granted, the rest follows. Nothing difficult about that."
- Aristotle, Physics I, 185a
Blood

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#227  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 21, 2014 1:48 pm

With regards to the video, it's rather odd.
First of all, it happens so far away, you can't even see if the guys has a knife.
Secondly, though I'm not a 100% sure the cops almost imediatly drew their guns on him, even before he took his hands out of his pockets.
Finally I'm still left wondering why they couldn't have used stun guns or shot him in the leg or something similar.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#228  Postby whereami » Aug 21, 2014 1:55 pm

I'd be pretty nervous there around those cops. There was a video circulating a couple days ago with a cop threatening to kill some random bystanders while holding his rifle in full readiness. "I'll fucking kill you..." or thereabouts.
whereami
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#229  Postby laklak » Aug 21, 2014 1:58 pm

You only see leg shots in Hollywood movies, the level of competence required to hit a moving leg, from a distance, with a pistol, under stressful circumstances is beyond any but world-class marksmen. I think the problem here is they didn't use non-lethal means first. If you tase the guy and he still keeps coming then fair enough, but they went for lethal force before it was required. Apparently.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#230  Postby whereami » Aug 21, 2014 2:02 pm

Exactly. And even if they didn't use tasers, why pump the guy full of lead? How about one shot to centre mass and then evaluate?? Or two at most. If that didn't make him stop his advance, then go full Rambo.
whereami
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#231  Postby whereami » Aug 21, 2014 2:04 pm

It seems to me that some of these cops really want to experience killing someone with the law behind them. People like that shouldn't be allowed near a gun.
whereami
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#232  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 21, 2014 2:04 pm

Another strange thing is that the police claimed that Powell:
"pulled out a knife and came at the officers, gripping and holding it high,

This does not happen in the video.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#233  Postby Acetone » Aug 21, 2014 2:08 pm

whereami wrote:Exactly. And even if they didn't use tasers, why pump the guy full of lead? How about one shot to centre mass and then evaluate?? Or two at most. If that didn't make him stop his advance, then go full Rambo.

That's not how you are trained to operate a firearm.
Acetone

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#234  Postby whereami » Aug 21, 2014 2:09 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:Another strange thing is that the police claimed that Powell:

It's too hard to tell. Looking at his posture and his right arm, I think it is entirely possible he had a knife in his hand.
whereami
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#235  Postby whereami » Aug 21, 2014 2:10 pm

Acetone wrote:
whereami wrote:Exactly. And even if they didn't use tasers, why pump the guy full of lead? How about one shot to centre mass and then evaluate?? Or two at most. If that didn't make him stop his advance, then go full Rambo.

That's not how you are trained to operate a firearm.

Maybe they should be trained that way. Might get less deaths.
Last edited by whereami on Aug 21, 2014 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whereami
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#236  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 21, 2014 2:10 pm

laklak wrote:You only see leg shots in Hollywood movies, the level of competence required to hit a moving leg, from a distance, with a pistol, under stressful circumstances is beyond any but world-class marksmen.

Except that it in this case he was apparntly close enough to be a thread with a knife and was hardly moving at all.

laklak wrote:I think the problem here is they didn't use non-lethal means first. If you tase the guy and he still keeps coming then fair enough, but they went for lethal force before it was required. Apparently.

Not to mention firing a warning shot.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#237  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 21, 2014 2:11 pm

whereami wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:Another strange thing is that the police claimed that Powell:

It's too hard to tell. Looking at his posture and his right arm, I think it is entirely possible he had a knife in his hand.

This isn't so much about the knife, as about the claim of the police that he was holding it high.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#238  Postby whereami » Aug 21, 2014 2:13 pm

Ah ok. Yes you are right. It seemed to stay at his side the whole tome.
whereami
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#239  Postby KeenIdiot » Aug 21, 2014 2:51 pm

Would a warning shot be possible in a city? Bullets have to go somewhere.
KeenIdiot

Name: Mike
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#240  Postby Nicko » Aug 21, 2014 2:58 pm

KeenIdiot wrote:Would a warning shot be possible in a city? Bullets have to go somewhere.

Shots are not for warning.

Warnings come from the hole in the lower half of a person's face in the form of sounds known as "words".
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Name: Nick Williams
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs