Nazi Symbols Smeared on Arizona Capital: Justice Served

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Nazi Symbols Smeared on Arizona Capital: Justice Served

#1  Postby andyx1205 » Apr 27, 2010 12:28 am

The image speaks for itself.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/2 ... 52201.html

Refried Bean Swastikas Smeared On Arizona Capitol
PHOENIX (AP) - The conflict over a sweeping crackdown on illegal immigration in Arizona intensified Monday as vandals smeared refried beans in the shape of swastikas on the state Capitol's windows.

More protests were planned Monday after thousands gathered this weekend to demonstrate against a bill that will make it a state crime to be an illegal immigrant in Arizona.

Opponents say the law will lead to rampant racial profiling and turn Arizona into a police state with provisions that require police to question people about their immigrant status if they suspect they are here illegally. Day laborers can be arrested for soliciting work if they are in the U.S. illegally, and police departments can be sued if they don't carry out the law.

But supporters of the law, set to take effect in late July or August, say it is necessary to protect Arizonans from a litany of crimes committed by illegal immigrants. Arizona is home to an estimated 460,000 illegal immigrants.

Gov. Jan Brewer, who signed the bill on Friday, argues Arizona must act because the federal government has failed to stop the steady stream of illegal immigrants and drugs that move through Arizona from Mexico. She is scheduled to speak about the issue Monday at a Tucson hotel.

The law has revved up the national debate, drawing the attention of the Obama administration and Congress. Obama has called the new law "misguided" and instructed the Justice Department to examine it to see if it's legal.

The new law makes it a crime under state law to be in the country illegally. Immigrants unable to produce documents showing they are allowed to be in the U.S. could be arrested, jailed for up to six months and fined $2,500. Arizona officers would arrest people found to be undocumented and turn them over to federal immigration officers. Opponents said the federal government can block the law by refusing to accept them.

Democratic Rep. Raul Grijalva asked the federal government not to cooperate when illegal immigrants are picked up by local police.

State Sen. Russell Pearce, the Republican who sponsored the legislation, said it's "pretty disappointing" that opponents would call on the federal government to refuse to cooperate with Arizona authorities.

"It's outrageous that these people continue to support law breakers over law keepers," Pearce said Sunday.

Grijalva and civil rights activists promised to march in the streets and invite arrest by refusing to comply with the law. Police said the protests Sunday were peaceful and there were no clashes.

"We're going to overturn this unjust and racist law, and then we're going to overturn the power structure that created this unjust, racist law," Grijalva said.

U.S. Rep. Luis Gutierrez, D-Ill., called on Obama to live up to a campaign promise to pass immigration reform. Gutierrez is one of the nation's loudest voices calling for comprehensive immigration reform that would create a pathway to citizenship for the millions of illegal immigrants now in the United States.

"Our message today is: 'Mr. President we listened, and we came out in record massive numbers to support you,'" he said. "We need you to support us today."

The law has drawn support from many in Arizona who are fed up with the many problems brought on by illegal immigration.

"If I go to another foreign country, if I go to Mexico, I have to have papers," said Bill Baker, 60, who took time off work at a downtown Phoenix restaurant to sell umbrellas and Mexican and American flags to the largely Hispanic crowd of protesters. "So I don't feel there's anything particularly harsh about the law."

Supporters have dismissed concerns about profiling, saying the law prohibits the use of race or nationality as the sole basis for an immigration check. Brewer has ordered state officials to develop a training course for officers to learn what constitutes reasonable suspicion that someone is in the U.S. illegally.

Current law in Arizona and most states doesn't require police to ask about the immigration status of those they encounter, and many police departments prohibit officers from inquiring out of fear immigrants won't cooperate in other investigations.

The March 27 shooting death of rancher Rob Krentz on his property in southeastern Arizona brought illegal immigration and border security into greater focus in the state. Authorities believe Krentz was killed by an illegal border crosser.

Racial profiling = Nazi behaviour.
“I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full.” - Trotsky
andyx1205

Name: Andy
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Nazi Symbols Smeared on Arizona Capital: Justice Served

#2  Postby Kenaz » Apr 27, 2010 12:43 am

I wasn't aware that "illegal immigration" wasn't already inherently a crime...? :think: :crazy: :?

What Nazi's, enforcing the law. :nono: :roll:
Question marks may be at the end of sentences; but in life they are the introduction.
Kenaz
RS Donator

Print view this post

#3  Postby Gawd » Apr 27, 2010 12:45 am

What do the Nazi's have to do with this?
Gawd
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby andyx1205 » Apr 27, 2010 12:51 am

JWG wrote:I wasn't aware that "illegal immigration" wasn't already inherently a crime...? :think: :crazy: :?

Everyone "suspected" of being an illegal immigrant has to show their documents on the spot.

It's about the same as "searching" every black in town for drugs.

It's racial profiling for fuck's sake.
Last edited by andyx1205 on Apr 27, 2010 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full.” - Trotsky
andyx1205

Name: Andy
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5  Postby wunksta » Apr 27, 2010 12:52 am

andyx1205 wrote:
Gov. Jan Brewer, who signed the bill on Friday, argues Arizona must act because the federal government has failed to stop the steady stream of illegal immigrants and drugs

right, because the federal government should be doing any of that.

in any case, this whole issue makes me laugh. the only people who care about illegal immigration are the people who benefit from it! well, also the dupes who fall for the bs that the corp/media feeds them about immigrants stealing their jobs.

what a fucking racket. just give them fucking work visas already and prosecute any corporations that hire illegals or dont provide standard wage and benefits. when corporations are forced to start having to pay US wages for unskilled immigrant labor over equivalent american labor, immigrants will start finding less and less jobs and will stop coming over here in droves.
The night is dark and full of terrors...
wunksta

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Kenaz » Apr 27, 2010 12:58 am

andyx1205 wrote:
JWG wrote:I wasn't aware that "illegal immigration" wasn't already inherently a crime...? :think: :crazy: :?

Everyone "suspected" of being an illegal immigrant has to show their documents on the spot.

It's about the same as "searching" every black in town for drugs.

It's racial profiling for fuck's sake.

I'm not agreeing to racial profiling. As far as I know at this time, the law simply made it illegal to be, well, an illegal immigrant. That I agree with. If a law enforcement official asks for proof of legal residency; then simply show proof. What's so hard? :think:
Question marks may be at the end of sentences; but in life they are the introduction.
Kenaz
RS Donator

Print view this post

#7  Postby debunk » Apr 27, 2010 12:59 am

Gawd wrote:What do the Nazi's have to do with this?

The Nazis made carrying an ID mandatory during WWII. Ihre Ausweis, bitte!
The beatings will continue until morale improves.
debunk

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#8  Postby wunksta » Apr 27, 2010 1:00 am

JWG wrote:
I'm not agreeing to racial profiling. As far as I know at this time, the law simply made it illegal to be, well, an illegal immigrant. That I agree with. If a law enforcement official asks for proof of legal residency; then simply show proof. What's so hard? :think:

i actually never carry my id. what happens then?
wunksta

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby BrandySpears » Apr 27, 2010 1:02 am

Sort of cool how the refried beans resemble dried feces.

wunksta wrote:
JWG wrote:

An officer violates your civil rights by detaining you and then you become a millionaire!
BrandySpears

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Kenaz » Apr 27, 2010 1:16 am

From the law, it appears that it would be reasonable to me. Doesn't sound like "racial profiling" to me, and I think the below example is a good addition.

http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp ... es.doc.htm
6. Specifies that a person is presumed to not be an unlawfully present alien if the person provides any of the following to a law enforcement officer or agency:

a) a valid Arizona driver license or nonoperating identification license;

b) a valid tribal enrollment card or other form of tribal identification; or

c) a valid U.S. federal, state or local government issued identification if the entity requires proof of legal presence in the U.S. before issuance.
Kenaz
RS Donator

Print view this post

#11  Postby Kenaz » Apr 27, 2010 1:20 am

5. Prohibits a law enforcement official or agency of the state or a county, city, town or other political subdivision of the state (political subdivision) from solely considering race, color or national origin in implementing the requirement for determining and verifying immigration status, except to the extent permitted by the U.S. or Arizona Constitutions.

No one is trying to racial profile via this bill. It is simply giving the proper authorities the ability to actually tackle the *crime* of illegal immigration. What I am ignorant to, however, is what the ending (bolded) implies?
Kenaz
RS Donator

Print view this post

#12  Postby Toontown » Apr 27, 2010 1:22 am

BrandySpears wrote:Sort of cool how the refried beans resemble dried feces.

wunksta wrote:
JWG wrote:

An officer violates your civil rights by detaining you and then you become a millionaire!

Gee, I wonder if It's really a violation of civil rights to require people to carry I.D.? How does operating a resource consuming, space consuming, job consuming, carbon emitting, eating, shitting, baby making machine differ essentially from operating a motor vehicle?
Last edited by Toontown on Apr 27, 2010 1:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Toontown
Banned User

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby BrandySpears » Apr 27, 2010 1:24 am

JWG wrote:From the law, it appears that it would be reasonable to me. Doesn't sound like "racial profiling" to me, and I think the below example is a good addition.

6. Specifies that a person is presumed to not be an unlawfully present alien if the person provides any of the following to a law enforcement officer or agency:

c) a valid U.S. federal, state or local government issued identification if the entity requires proof of legal presence in the U.S. before issuance.

So a person might not have any of those documents. At what point in the officer's mind does he move to questioning legal status? How the person looks? Accent?

There is a leap in logic to get from point A to point B.
BrandySpears

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby debunk » Apr 27, 2010 1:28 am

JWG wrote:From the law, it appears that it would be reasonable to me. Doesn't sound like "racial profiling" to me, and I think the below example is a good addition.

In other words, you're presumed to be illegal if you can't provide an ID?
The beatings will continue until morale improves.
debunk

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#15  Postby BrandySpears » Apr 27, 2010 1:30 am

Toontown wrote:
Gee, I wonder if It's really a violation of civil rights to require people to carry I.D.? How does operating a resource consuming, space consuming, job consuming, carbon emitting, eating, shitting, baby making machine differ essentially from operating a motor vehicle?

Yes, you should wonder these things since the AZ law tries to circumvent the US Constitution.
BrandySpears

United States (us)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Mac_Guffin » Apr 27, 2010 1:31 am

I know this is kind of a cliche, but I've always hated how someone of a European descent could get angry about immigration.
It wasn't our land to begin with. If anyone deserves to tell someone to go back where they came from, it's the Native Americans.
Mac_Guffin

Name: Christopher
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby mmmcheezy » Apr 27, 2010 1:31 am

Mac_Guffin wrote:I know this is kind of a cliche, but I've always hated how someone of a European descent could get angry about immigration.
It wasn't our land to begin with. If anyone deserves to tell someone to go back where they came from, it's the Native Americans.

It's a valid cliche, and I agree with you 100%.
http://www.rantingnraging.tumblr.com

I'm not larger than life, I'm not taller than trees
mmmcheezy
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Kenaz » Apr 27, 2010 1:39 am

BrandySpears wrote:

So a person might not have any of those documents. At what point in the officer's mind does he move to questioning legal status? How the person looks? Accent?

There is a leap in logic to get from point A to point B.

The law does not state that they are presumed illegal if they cannot provide those, merely that they cannot be presumed illegal if they do have one of those material(s) listed above. If you are a legal resident, and you do not have it on you at the time; I'm sure you could provide proof of residency easily by providing it to them after the fact if they decide to question your legality further. I see your concern for racial profiling or anything of the sort, but if you do not agree with the law, what is a better way to tackle the rising crime of illegal residency in the state of Arizona? They have to be able to verify it and enforce it somehow.
Kenaz
RS Donator

Print view this post

#19  Postby BrandySpears » Apr 27, 2010 1:53 am

Easy - follow the the money trail.
And yes, it is the employer's fault for not verifying Social Security authenticity.
BrandySpears

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby wunksta » Apr 27, 2010 2:50 am

JWG wrote:
what is a better way to tackle the rising crime of illegal residency in the state of Arizona?

lay the pressure on the people HIRING them... if there is no incentive to come to america or for employers to hire illegal workers, illegal immigrants will stop coming. its pretty simple.
wunksta

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Next

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs