Obama declares airstrikes on ISIS.

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Obama declares airstrikes on ISIS.

#221  Postby Made of Stars » Nov 14, 2014 7:35 pm

...to start minting the coins to "change the tyrannical monetary system" modelled on Western economies that "enslaved Muslims"

Yeah, that'll work. I wonder what they'll put on the coins? Amputated hands? :roll:
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#222  Postby SkyMutt » Nov 14, 2014 9:09 pm

willhud9 wrote:The funny thing is IF Germany had continued its bombing campaign against the RAF it probably would have forced the British to surrender....so incidentally it could have worked. Germany, run by a tactically inept dictator who did not listen to his more qualified generals and instead appointed his buddies as commanders in the army, instead bombed cities with civilians instead of keeping the focus on militant targets i.e. the RAF.

I don't agree. Germany would have had to invade Great Britain. There is no way they would have surrendered, even if Germany had wiped out the RAF completely (which wasn't going to happen).
Serious, but not entirely serious.
SkyMutt

Male

Print view this post

#223  Postby willhud9 » Nov 14, 2014 9:42 pm

SkyMutt wrote:
willhud9 wrote:The funny thing is IF Germany had continued its bombing campaign against the RAF it probably would have forced the British to surrender....so incidentally it could have worked. Germany, run by a tactically inept dictator who did not listen to his more qualified generals and instead appointed his buddies as commanders in the army, instead bombed cities with civilians instead of keeping the focus on militant targets i.e. the RAF.

I don't agree. Germany would have had to invade Great Britain. There is no way they would have surrendered, even if Germany had wiped out the RAF completely (which wasn't going to happen).

The UK without a Royal Airforce would have been useless to the war.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#224  Postby Arjan Dirkse » Nov 14, 2014 10:18 pm

Mike_L wrote:
ISIS group says it'll mint its own coins
2014-11-14

The Islamic State group says its leader has ordered that the organisation start minting gold, silver and copper coins for its own currency — the Islamic dinar.

A website affiliated with the militant group said late on Thursday that its leader, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, has instructed his followers to start minting the coins to "change the tyrannical monetary system" modelled on Western economies that "enslaved Muslims".
CONTINUED
Full article at:
http://www.news24.com/World/News/ISIS-group-says-itll-mint-its-own-coins-20141114-2

Take that, you dollar-waving plutocratic American brutes! :tongue2:

Okay, just kidding. :shifty:

Hm, that seems kind of crazy.

I think this Caliphate is going to be short lived if they start doing crazy stuff like this. Of course it will implode, they're running a country the size of Britain, with a population of a couple of million, but no recognition from anyone in the outside world. It will start to fall apart within a year I bet, but the region is going to remain unstable. The Syrian civil war and the Iraqi insurgency will continue to fester at least for another decade.
Arjan Dirkse

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#225  Postby Stein » Nov 30, 2014 10:28 pm

Arjan Dirkse wrote:Fair enough.

I think the US failed miserably with their "coalition of the willing" though. Unless Turkey starts actively opposing IS now that their hostages have been freed, there isn't really any sovereign nation with the will and the power to really hurt IS with ground forces.

Turkey may start more actively opposing ISIS when pigs have wings. There is a revealing piece now up on line that shows just how much Turkey -- or more accurately, Erdogan -- is "angry" with ISIS. They're so "angry" with ISIS that they don't care how strong they get so long as the Kurdish people suffer --

http://news.yahoo.com/activists-isis-no ... itics.html

This is beyond disgusting,

Stein
Stein

United States (us)
Print view this post

#226  Postby james1v » Dec 01, 2014 1:43 am

willhud9 wrote:
SkyMutt wrote:

The UK without a Royal Airforce would have been useless to the war.

Have you met any UK football fans? :think:
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#227  Postby james1v » Dec 01, 2014 1:46 am

Stein wrote:
Arjan Dirkse wrote:Fair enough.

I think the US failed miserably with their "coalition of the willing" though. Unless Turkey starts actively opposing IS now that their hostages have been freed, there isn't really any sovereign nation with the will and the power to really hurt IS with ground forces.

Turkey may start more actively opposing ISIS when pigs have wings. There is a revealing piece now up on line that shows just how much Turkey -- or more accurately, Erdogan -- is "angry" with ISIS. They're so "angry" with ISIS that they don't care how strong they get so long as the Kurdish people suffer --

http://news.yahoo.com/activists-isis-no ... itics.html

This is beyond disgusting,

Stein

I agree. He wont step in, until the secular Kurds have been decimated.
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs