Operation Mushroom - forthcoming XR nationwide action

Starting 15 July

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Operation Mushroom - forthcoming XR nationwide action

#1  Postby Keep It Real » Jun 27, 2019 5:08 pm

Starting Monday July 15th, Extinction Rebellion UK Will Rise Up In An Organic, De-Centralised, Coordinated Action, With The Message: ACT NOW, Disrupting Central Spaces In The Following 5 Cities:
– Bristol (XR South-west England)
– Cardiff (XR Wales)
– Leeds (XR North England)
– London (XR Central England)
– Glasgow (XR Scotland)

Disruption will likely involve blocking a major road or occupying a space, using a significant object painted with the message ‘ACT NOW‘. This action will run for an indefinite amount of time, so please book a week off work....

...Codename Operation Mushroom was chosen as a metaphor for how the ‘spores’ from the International Rebellion in London have spread across the nation, to ‘sprout’ similar major protests in 4 other locations in the UK.

It also symbolises how a national underground mycelium network of communication and support has developed....

...This Is An Emergency: We Need To ACT NOW!
Operation Mushroom’s overall messaging will convey WHY WE NEED TO ACT NOW (Demand #2), clearly stating that 2050 is ecocide and a death sentence for all.

Two significant underlying motivations for this national action are the flawed Citizens Assembly announced by six select committees of the House of Commons, and the way in which government is continuing with business as usual, complicitly enabling corporations to profit from exploiting people and planet, despite Parliament declaring a Climate and Ecological Emergency.

https://xrbristol.org.uk/actions/?fbclid=IwAR1t-WIaLENHDS-g9QdoOaDpZQT2nvVXZ2g7XHKZYe8qErrlV7qYniNc4js

I has excited face...SHARE!
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

Re: Operation Mushroom - forthcoming XR nationwide action

#2  Postby tuco » Jun 27, 2019 5:54 pm

I have a proposal for next codename: Operation 2 billion, as a metaphor for hypothetical Lambda-Mandelbrot set which spread from rationalskepticism.org to mainstream demography ;)
tuco

Print view this post

#3  Postby Spearthrower » Jun 27, 2019 8:50 pm

It's funny how you keep revisiting your defeats across dozens of threads, tuco.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby Keep It Real » Jul 13, 2019 5:11 pm

Extinction Rebellion Gloucester wrote:The government has so far made nothing more than tokenistic noises as far as meeting XRs demands is concerned. Do not be fooled by this vacuous lip service. ZERO substantial policies have been initiated regarding reducing greenhouse gas emissions and avoiding an ecological apocalypse. 5 cities around the country are hosting uprisings next week - for the Gloxers our closest one is Bristol. Check out their facebook page for all the details. The XR spirit burns brightly indeed in Briz and we will be very welcome no doubt whatsoever. They need our support - the planet needs our support, now more than ever - ACT NOW!
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#5  Postby aufbahrung » Jul 13, 2019 6:41 pm

They'll quite possibly mutate into eco-terrorists if they begin to lose their publicity fix. At present they are only disruptive but with a world to save, and eating their own message for sustinance, the hardcore will be ready to go further....
“Ne vous mêlez pas du pain”
aufbahrung

Name: Your Real Name

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby laklak » Jul 13, 2019 7:15 pm

The world is chock full of idiot fanatics. That's not likely to change.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Keep It Real » Jul 13, 2019 7:39 pm

Rather fanatic for a good cause than a selfish Xunt...not saying you are Lak, I'm quite fond of you actually, more talking about the Tories and Rethuglicans.
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#8  Postby Alan B » Jul 14, 2019 11:02 am

How many babies will the female members have when they grow up?
The world population is increasing by over 2.5 times the death rate each year.

How many car manufacturers are they picketing to retrospectively 'fix' fossil fuel vehicles?
The mayor of Birmingham UK recently suggested that taxis could be 'fixed' when they complained about the Clean Air Zone tax.

It should be called 'Operation MAGIC Mushroom'.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Keep It Real » Jul 14, 2019 3:01 pm

This shit again. "XR are hypocrites because they don't have spotless ecological footprints themselves" and now "why aren't XR choosing better targets than pressurising government?" - change the fucking record bruv.
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#10  Postby Macdoc » Jul 14, 2019 11:35 pm

The world population is increasing by over 2.5 times the death rate each year.

complete fantasy.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/science ... -1.3808527
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Thommo » Jul 14, 2019 11:54 pm

According to most sources the world population is currently increasing by around 1.5 times the death rate each year. The birth rate is around 2.5 times the death rate each year.

E.g.
https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/

Whether this is a particularly useful comparison to make is another question. One might pose the same question of quoting the dissenting minority of demographers rather than the majority opinion, or better yet both, though. It's certainly true that estimates of future trends vary quite widely, although this says relatively little about present birth and death rates.

ETA: The UN page has quite a fun little tool for generating graphs or accessing their forecast data here:
https://population.un.org/wpp/
https://population.un.org/wpp/Graphs/Pr ... OP/TOT/900
It's pretty good because it shows how much uncertainty there is.

This wasn't a bad article for explaining the differing views, this extract explains the UN's defence of its methodology:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... es-decline
The UN discounts the claims of these experts, relying on the authority of experience. “We imagine that countries that currently have higher levels of fertility and lower levels of life expectancy will make progress in the future in a similar manner, at a similar speed, to what was experienced by countries in the past,” John Wilmoth, director of the UN Population Division, says. “It’s all grounded in past experience.”

But the dissident demographers think this is wrong, primarily because the UN is failing to account for an accelerating decline in fertility as a result of urbanisation. In 2007, for the first time in human history, the majority of people in the world lived in cities. Today, it’s 55%. In three decades, it will be two-thirds.
Thommo

Print view this post

#12  Postby Macdoc » Jul 15, 2019 12:19 am

look to the future and what do you see...

Japan shrinking as birthrate falls to lowest level in history | World news ...
https://www.theguardian.com/.../japan-s ... vel-in-h...
Dec 27, 2018 - In 2018 there were 921000 births and 1.37m deaths, with government efforts failing to ... .

It is estimated that 83 countries, representing 46 percent of the world’s population of 7.6 billion, are experiencing below-replacement fertility. The 10 most populous countries with fertility rates below two births per woman, by ranking, are: China, United States, Brazil, Russia, Japan, Vietnam, Germany, Iran, Thailand and Britain.

https://www.passblue.com/2017/10/02/whe ... on-effect/

As a result of the negative rates of natural increase, coupled with what we demographers call “insufficient compensating immigration,” the populations of nearly 40 countries, including China, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Japan, Poland, Russia, South Korea, Spain and Ukraine, are expected to become smaller by 2050 (Figure 2). The populations of more than 60 countries are projected to be smaller by the end of the century.

and that was two years ago
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Thommo » Jul 15, 2019 12:23 am

Essentially my point is that cherry picking and confirmation bias are bad. I don't know what's going to happen and I'm aware there's some degree of disagreement among genuine experts in the area. It seems worth reading what both the majority think and why and what the dissenters think and why. I question the wisdom of looking only at Japan, or only the dissenting opinion.

The dissent itself is essentially over the 2nd derivative, rather than the first anyway. That is to say that both groups agree that the rate is declining and forecast based on that - they disagree about the rate at which the rate is declining. This is not a disagreement that is really addressed by showing the value of the 1st derivative for a selected subpopulation of countries.

Irrespective of that, at present the birth rate is about 2.5 times the death rate, resulting in a net population increase of about 1.5 times the death rate, which are the facts relating to Alan's point. Whether those are usefully illustrative or not is something people will have to decide for themselves.
Thommo

Print view this post

#14  Postby Alan B » Jul 15, 2019 9:54 am

Thanks, Thommo. I could have worded my remark a bit better.
It's taken about 70 years to approximately treble the world population. How long will it take for the observed reduction in fertility to reduce the population to the 1950s level? (Which at about 2.5 billion was still too many IMO).

The answer is (according to the above graph) an awful long time - perhaps never...
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Macdoc » Jul 15, 2019 11:35 pm

yes you could have.

The great defining event of the twenty-first century—one of the great defining events in human history—will occur in three decades, give or take, when the global population starts to decline. Once that decline begins, it will never end. We do not face the challenge of a population bomb but of a population bust—a relentless, generation-after-generation culling of the human herd. Nothing like this has ever happened before.

https://www.wbur.org/onpoint/2019/02/21 ... ll-bricker
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#16  Postby tuco » Jul 16, 2019 5:57 pm

What are you debating?
tuco

Print view this post

#17  Postby Spearthrower » Jul 16, 2019 7:27 pm

tuco wrote:What are you debating?

Best ignore it tuco; it's outside your ken.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs