Oregon

mod edit: Mass shooting.

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Oregon

#321  Postby Teague » Oct 06, 2015 2:55 pm

Sendraks wrote:
Teague wrote:You can't own a fully automatic one in the US I think but I wasn't arguing that. I was pointing out you can own an AR-15 and a .22 can be lethal.

The point is that its little more than a single shot rifle in an AR-15 body or a semi-automatic .22 in an AR-15 body. Its cute, but for the purposes of having a single shot rifle, there are far better options and also for the .22 semi version as well.

And yes, .22's can be lethal. Being fired from the housing of an AR-15 doesn't magically make them more so.

So basically saying you can own an AR-15 is different to what it means in the US, where you can own a semi-automatic variant chambered to fire nato rounds.

Teague wrote:You need a section 1 firearms licence to own one of those long barreled pistols in the UK.

3.8 Any long-barreled pistols with dimensions greater than those stipulated in section 5(1)(aba)
of the 1968 Act (such as the long barreled Uberti Cattleman revolver) are not caught by
this section of the Act and may legally be held on a firearm certificate.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... aw_v13.pdf

Good chap on finally linking to the firearms licensing guidance. I wasn't sure if the pistol in the picture had the dimensions exceeding those covered in the section 5 material I already listed. If it does, then yes it isn't covered by the prohibition for pistols. Its also an unlikely weapon for anyone going on a rampage with given its bulk and lack of rapid fire/self loading capability.

Except the pistol pictured above will fire 6 bullets as fast as you can pull the trigger. I'm assuming something like a glock would be legal too as long as it meets the requirements as the ruling stats any pistol?
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#322  Postby Teague » Oct 06, 2015 3:03 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
Byron wrote:Spearthrower, yes, of course it might be decided that, on balance, more lives will be saved by banning guns. My point is simply that this isn't a open-and-shut case.

The point I made was actually that the possession of guns in a defensive context could also lead to death that would otherwise not have occurred.

Another facet of this is that if you are a burglar in the UK, you don't need to take a gun with you. Whereas in the US, presumably you have to work under the assumption that the person whose house you're burgling possesses a gun, so you would need a gun as a tool of the trade. Also, if a criminal encounters a person while burgling in the US, wouldn't it be 'rational' (in quotes) for them to assume that their intended victim could actually harm them and engage in a little pre-emptive aggression?

Much like with nuclear weapons, it's as much the proliferation of them that's a problem because their mere existence ensures more potential for them needing to be used.

The FBI’s Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program defines burglary as the unlawful entry of a structure to commit a felony or theft. To classify an offense as a burglary, the use of force to gain entry need not have occurred. The UCR Program has three subclassifications for burglary: forcible entry, unlawful entry where no force is used, and attempted forcible entry. The UCR definition of “structure” includes an apartment, barn, house trailer or houseboat when used as a permanent dwelling, office, railroad car (but not automobile), stable, and vessel (i.e., ship).
Overview

In 2012, there were an estimated 2,103,787 burglaries, a decrease of 3.7 percent when compared with 2011 data.
The number of burglaries decreased 5.6 percent when compared with 2008 and was down 2.4 percent when compared with the 2003 estimate. (See Tables 1 and 1A.)
The estimated number of burglaries accounted for 23.4 percent of the estimated number of property crimes. (Based on Table 1.)
By subcategory, 59.7 percent of burglaries involved forcible entry, 33.9 percent were unlawful entries, and 6.3 percent were attempted forcible entry. (See Table 19.)
Victims of burglary offenses suffered an estimated $4.7 billion in property losses in 2012; overall the average dollar loss per burglary offense was $2,230. (Based on Tables 1 and 23.)
Burglaries of residential properties accounted for 74.5 percent of all burglary offenses. (See Table 23.)

Expanded burglary data

Expanded offense data are the details of the various offenses that the UCR Program collects beyond the count of how many crimes law enforcement agencies report. These details may include the type of weapon used in a crime, the type or value of items stolen, and so forth. In addition, expanded data include trends (for example, 2-year comparisons) and rates per 100,000 inhabitants.

Expanded information regarding burglary is available in the following tables:

Trends (2-year): Tables 12, 13, 14, and 15

Rates (per 100,000 inhabitants): Tables 16, 17, 18, and 19

Offense Analysis: Tables 7 and 23

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/c ... e/burglary

Security Statistics
Here are some home security statistics that may shock you… And hopefully motivate you to take action

2,000,000 home burglaries are reported each year in the United States.
About 30 percent of all burglaries are through an open or unlocked window or door.
Nearly 66 percent of all burglaries are residential (home) break-ins.
Renters are just as likely to be the victims of property crime as homeowners.
The highest percentage of burglaries occur during the summer months.
Homes without security systems are up to 300% more likely to be broken into.

Burglary Facts

Every 13 seconds a home intrusion is committed.
2.5 million+ home intrusions are committed each year.
Only 17% of the homes in U.S. have a security system.
2,500+ cars stolen per day… almost 2 cars a minute.
Identity theft is the fastest growing crime in the U.S.
1 out of 3 residential assaults are a result of a burglary.
85% of break-ins are from non-professionals that are usually more desperate and dangerous.
People want security and need peace of mind.
Insurance agencies can offer discounts up to 20% for auto insurance when a home security system is installed.
Home security statistics tell us that 95% of break-ins needed some amount of force to break-in.
Thieves prefer easy access, through an unlocked doors or windows.
Home security statistics tell us that the type of tools used to break in are usually simple; a screwdriver, pliers, pries bars, and small hammers are most common.
Police usually only clear 13% of all reported burglaries due to lack of witnesses or physical evidence.

and read the rest here....

http://www.safeguardtheworld.com/statistics.html
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#323  Postby Sendraks » Oct 06, 2015 3:04 pm

Teague wrote:Except the pistol pictured above will fire 6 bullets as fast as you can pull the trigger.

It depends. If it is a double action revolver or not. If it is not, then you need cock the hammer before releasing the trigger.
If it is double action that's another matter.

Teague wrote: I'm assuming something like a glock would be legal too as long as it meets the requirements as the ruling stats any pistol?

A glock is a self loading pistol. Which would be covered by the following in the list of prohibitions. I suspect this would also be true for the revolver you listed if it was double action, as it would be considered to be self loading.

ii) any self-loading or pump-action rifled gun other than one which is chambered for .22 rimfire cartridges (section 5(1)(ab));
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#324  Postby ED209 » Oct 06, 2015 3:10 pm

Was it in a few dollars more, lee van cleef had a comically oversized pistol like that with a rifle stock that screwed to the grip.
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#325  Postby Teague » Oct 06, 2015 3:11 pm

Oldskeptic wrote:
ED209 wrote:
Briton wrote:
Briton wrote:

Here's an article that argues that statistics disagree with that.

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/arc ... ths/69354/

Interestingly they claim statistical analysis debunks your theory that mental health is a significant issue.

Oldskeptic wrote:Yes, creative statistical analysis can debunk just about anything. It's good that the author acknowledges that correlation does not imply causation.

Okay...we know that and that's why it was acknowledged. What stats/evidence did you use to come to the conclusion that gun control 'haven't done a damn bit of good'?

It's funny because he keeps mentioning dunblane, but is incapable of accepting that the resulting handgun ban has led to zero repetitions in the 20 years since, making it just about most unarguable good done by gun control laws anywhere.

New gun control laws were passed 1989 after the Hungerford massacre. That didn't prevent the Dunblane massacre in '96. And as for zero repetitions in the 20 years since even stricter gun control laws were passed after Dunblane. It's not true, those new restrictions didn't prevent the Cumbria shootings in 2010.

However, the cumbria shootings could have been worse had the ban on weapons not been in place. Incidentally, Dunblane and Hungerford both had very similar casualty rates.

Michael Ryan in 1986[1]
Location Hungerford, England
Coordinates 51.41°N 1.52°WCoordinates: 51.41°N 1.52°W
Date 19 August 1987
ca. 12:30 pm–ca. 6:52 pm
Attack type
Mass murder, spree shooting, murder-suicide, massacre
Weapons

Type 56 Semi-automatic rifle
M1 carbine
Beretta 92FS

Deaths 17 (including the perpetrator)
Non-fatal injuries
Perpetrator Michael Robert Ryan
Motive Suspected mental illness

Memorial to the victims of the massacre inside Dunblane Cathedral.
Location Dunblane, Scotland
Coordinates 56°11′20″N 3°58′27″WCoordinates: 56°11′20″N 3°58′27″W
Date 13 March 1996
c. 9:35 a.m.–9:40 a.m. (GMT)
Target Pupils and staff at Dunblane Primary School
Attack type
School shooting, mass murder, murder–suicide
Weapons

9mm Browning HP pistol (x2)
Smith & Wesson M19 .357 Magnum revolver (x2)

Deaths 18 (including the perpetrator)
Non-fatal injuries
Perpetrator Thomas Hamilton
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#326  Postby Sendraks » Oct 06, 2015 3:14 pm

ED209 wrote:Was it in a few dollars more, lee van cleef had a comically oversized pistol like that with a rifle stock that screwed to the grip.

Yes. Yes it was.
Although such features are not without precedent in the real world of pistol manufacture. The Mauser Broomhandle springs to mind as a pistol which had a stock which attached to the grip.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#327  Postby tolman » Oct 06, 2015 3:43 pm

Oldskeptic wrote:The lesson learned by the UK and the US should be that stricter gun control laws do nothing towards reducing the number of these kinds of incidents.

Pass a law against semi-automatic rifles and someone intent on killing will use semi-automatic hands. Pass a law against semi-automatic handguns and someone intent on killing will use 22. rifles and shotguns. Pass laws against 22. rifles and shotguns and someone intent on killing will find some other weapon like a sharp machete, someone hacking away at a gymnasium full of children and a couple of teachers could kill and maim bucket loads of them.

The assertion that added restrictions make no difference seems just as much wishful thinking as the assertion that added restrictions won't result in any potential killer switching to a different method of killing.
In the case of the UK, there really isn't sufficient data to come to a reliable conclusion, making claims of lessons reliably learned seem rather bogus.

Oldskeptic wrote:When I say these kinds of massacres I'm not linking by where they happened or who they happened to or by weapons used. The common denominator is disaffected, disgruntled people that feel they have been unfairly treated and or harmed by a certain group or society as a whole. These people once they decided to seek revenge by killing are not going to be stopped by what weapons are not available.

What makes you conclude that every such person is necessarily on a downward slope which will inevitably result in their attempting mass murder?
Surely, some subset of people act impulsively at a peak of frustration which would pass given time?

What makes you think that even in someone with compromised rationality the decision to seek revenge by killing is entirely independent of the possible means available to them, and their expectations of success?

What if someone is well below average build - are they really going to be (and expect to be) as successful with a blade as with a gun?
Though to be fair, having said that, if they picked their target location correctly, most people of any build would have a good chance of killing at least as many people with a vehicle as they could with a gun, even if targeting specific individuals might be difficult. But maybe that just wouldn't seem as romantic or impressive, even to an irrational mind.
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

#328  Postby Teague » Oct 06, 2015 4:02 pm

Sendraks wrote:
Teague wrote:Except the pistol pictured above will fire 6 bullets as fast as you can pull the trigger.

It depends. If it is a double action revolver or not. If it is not, then you need cock the hammer before releasing the trigger.
If it is double action that's another matter.

Teague wrote: I'm assuming something like a glock would be legal too as long as it meets the requirements as the ruling stats any pistol?

A glock is a self loading pistol. Which would be covered by the following in the list of prohibitions. I suspect this would also be true for the revolver you listed if it was double action, as it would be considered to be self loading.

ii) any self-loading or pump-action rifled gun other than one which is chambered for .22 rimfire cartridges (section 5(1)(ab));

As long as the bullet is a .22 you can have a self loading pistol like a glock or this 1911....

http://www.valmontfirearms.co.uk/LBPistols.html

Incidentally, My friend has a 17hmr long rifle which is bolt action. However, the bolt action is fast and he could fire the 24 round magazine in around 20 seconds.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#329  Postby Sendraks » Oct 06, 2015 4:10 pm

Teague wrote:As long as the bullet is a .22 you can have a self loading pistol like a glock or this 1911....

Yes, I believe that was clear in the prohibitions I provided. The weapons must be chambered to fire .22rimfire cartridges, which are a lower velocity round than centre fire cartridges. Yes, you can kill with these, but you are far less likely to do so than you would if you were using an actual Glock.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glock

To be clear, when you say "you can own a Glock" what you mean is "you can own a Glock that's been modified to only fire .22 rimfire rounds" as opposed to an actual Glock, which fires vastly more powerful ammo.

Teague wrote:Incidentally, My friend has a 17hmr long rifle which is bolt action. However, the bolt action is fast and he could fire the 24 round magazine in around 20 seconds.

That must be nice for him.
If you're making the point that yes, he could probably kill a number of people with that weapon, I'd simply refer you to the comments I made to Oldskeptic as to why such weapons were not banned in light of the Cumbria shootings in 2010.

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#330  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 06, 2015 4:19 pm

Warren Dew wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:How can anyone from America really get into this with a Brit, when the United States has a gun death rate over forty times higher per capita than they do in the United Kingdom? From what position of authority or evidence can you even enjoin that argument?

Some of us ignore any singling out of "gun deaths", because we think dying from a knife is just as bad as dying from a gun; basically the term is just an excuse for using exaggerated statistics.

Now, the murder rate is higher in the U.S. than in the UK by a factor of 4, but the overall crime rate is higher in the UK than in the US by a factor of 3, and accounts for a thousand times more crime. Both may be affected by gun control.

Lots more interesting statistics here:

http://www.nationmaster.com/country-inf ... ates/Crime

Yeah, never heard that tired argument before, either.

You know, if you were looking at houses to buy in two different towns, but one of those towns had even twice the murder rate as the other, are you going to tell us you wouldn't act accordingly?

Even if we accept your unsupported estimate, four fucking times more murders in the US than in the UK? What the actual fuck?

Do something about the 10K gun murders annually, and we'd actually be less murderous than some other industrialized place!

You know, I read an article this morning about an eight year old kid that got blown away by an eleven year old kid using his dad's shotgun. Because the eight year old kid wouldn't let him pet her puppy.

When is it going to be enough dead kids? Put a fucking number on it. I fucking dare you.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#331  Postby Teague » Oct 06, 2015 4:47 pm

Sendraks wrote:
Teague wrote:As long as the bullet is a .22 you can have a self loading pistol like a glock or this 1911....

Yes, I believe that was clear in the prohibitions I provided. The weapons must be chambered to fire .22rimfire cartridges, which are a lower velocity round than centre fire cartridges. Yes, you can kill with these, but you are far less likely to do so than you would if you were using an actual Glock.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glock

To be clear, when you say "you can own a Glock" what you mean is "you can own a Glock that's been modified to only fire .22 rimfire rounds" as opposed to an actual Glock, which fires vastly more powerful ammo.

Teague wrote:Incidentally, My friend has a 17hmr long rifle which is bolt action. However, the bolt action is fast and he could fire the 24 round magazine in around 20 seconds.

That must be nice for him.
If you're making the point that yes, he could probably kill a number of people with that weapon, I'd simply refer you to the comments I made to Oldskeptic as to why such weapons were not banned in light of the Cumbria shootings in 2010.

When I said "Like" a glock, I meant to use it as an example that you can have any pistol. The round it fires isn't really that important. As for the bolt action, I was more pointing out, as I was with the pistols, that these weapons are still available in the UK but we don't have the same issue as the US. I'm trying to make a case that legislation is effective over here but that isn't the only issue of course that stops gun violence as we don't have the same culture when it comes to firearms.

People here I would guess think guns are pretty stupid things to own and realise they're dangerous whereas in the US they're pretty blase about them. A change in the way people look at guns is needed - once you have people inclined to see them as a danger to their society the view of them starts to change. That needs to happen just as importantly as more common sense legislation.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#332  Postby Byron » Oct 06, 2015 4:50 pm

GT2211 wrote:I read the study, that is how I made it past the page you noted, to to table 3 and got that figure. The authors do acknowledge that it is likely that people are overstating the rate at which they wound or kill the offender, but they downplay it saying its 'probably too high'.

Their figures show that more people report injuring or killing people with firearms in self defense, than there were firearm injuries/wounding of any kind in the entire year. These figures aren't just a little off, they aren't even remotely accurate. The authors attempt to explain it by suggesting that maybe people are overestimating their marksmanship by 'remembering with favor' and giving inaccurate information on that question. But since the answers are so far off on that question, it should raise serious red flags to researchers about the reliability of these peoples answers to other survey questions related to DGU.

And its issue with extrapolating from a small sample pool applies to the whole study. Surveying a couple thousand people for an event that happens to somewhere between 1 out of every couple hundred people to 1 out of every few thousand. Politico had a piece on these studies this year

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/ ... yth-114262
On Sept. 21, 2014, Eusebio Christian was awakened by a noise. Assuming a break-in, he rushed to the kitchen with his gun and began firing. All his shots missed but one, which struck his wife in the face.

What do these and so many other cases have in common? They are the byproduct of a tragic myth: that millions of gun owners successfully use their firearms to defend themselves and their families from criminals. Despite having nearly no academic support in public health literature, this myth is the single largest motivation behind gun ownership. It traces its origin to a two-decade-old series of surveys that, despite being thoroughly repudiated at the time, persists in influencing personal safety decisions and public policy throughout the United States.

In 1992, Gary Kleck and Marc Getz, criminologists at Florida State University, conducted a random digit-dial survey to establish the annual number of defensive gun uses in the United States. They surveyed 5,000 individuals, asking them if they had used a firearm in self-defense in the past year and, if so, for what reason and to what effect. Sixty-six incidences of defensive gun use were reported from the sample. The researchers then extrapolated their findings to the entire U.S. population, resulting in an estimate of between 1 million and 2.5 million defensive gun uses per year

Read more: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/ ... z3nj9Gg7yc

Neither you, nor the worryingly high number of people who liked your post, make any reference to the flaws of the National Crime Victimization Survey that Kleck and Gertz were rebutting, namely: it wasn't anonymous; worse, it was conducted by the feds; even worse, in face-to-face interviews, interviewers displayed their govt. ID. Oh, and it was also a representative sample, so any criticism you apply to the Kleck & Gertz study also applies to the NCVS.

This doesn't get started on the "gateway" question about whether the subject's been a victim of crime: if they don't perceive themselves as a victim, they'll say "No," and never be asked about DGU.

Your initial criticism of the over-reporting of gunshot injuries made no reference to Kleck & Gertz's qualifications, and now you've addressed them, it's inadequate. First, if the wound's minor, some injured felons are unlikely to show up at ER. Even if people are over-reporting substantially, given that it's possible to make reasonable good faith errors, it does nothing to undermine their wider claim that they fired a weapon and ended the threat.

The rest of your criticisms aren't your criticisms, but the author of the article you linked. Since I'm not arguing with them, which parts d'you agree with, and why?

Yet even if every one of your criticisms are accurate, at the absolute minimum established by the NCVS, there's tens of thousands of defensive gun uses per year. Is it even your claim that guns don't save lives? If not, we agree on the substantive point, and disagree only on its scale.
I don't believe in the no-win scenario.
Kirk, Enterprise

Ms. Lovelace © Ms. Padua, resident of 2D Goggles
Byron

Male

Print view this post

#333  Postby Sendraks » Oct 06, 2015 5:13 pm

Teague wrote:When I said "Like" a glock, I meant to use it as an example that you can have any pistol. The round it fires isn't really that important.

No - the round it fires IS that important. Which is why you can only have pistols that are chambered to fire .22 rimfire rounds. The .22 round is pretty much only useful for target practise and small game and you don't use a pistol to hunt small game. It is a round that "can" be lethal when used on a human, as opposed to the rounds that the pistols like the glock are normally chambered to fire, which are lethal.

Teague wrote: As for the bolt action, I was more pointing out, as I was with the pistols, that these weapons are still available in the UK but we don't have the same issue as the US.

No - pistols are available only if they are modified to fire the .22 rimfire round. This is a vastly different state of affairs compared to the US. As for the bolt action rifles, I've given the reasons why these are most likely not banned in the UK already. I could give more if you like?

Teague wrote: I'm trying to make a case that legislation is effective over here but that isn't the only issue of course that stops gun violence as we don't have the same culture when it comes to firearms.

Yes - we don't have the same sort of issues as the US, but you're not the first to make the case and its hardly a revalation that the issues with gun deaths in US have all sorts of cultural and social issues associated with them. However, that's neither here nor there for why the prohibitions against weapons exist in the UK.

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#334  Postby mcgruff » Oct 06, 2015 5:27 pm

Oldskeptic wrote:
It's hardly rocket science. The only real sticking point is a simple refusal to accept a simple truth rather than any kind of creative clash of ideas. The narcissism and sheer depravity of those who refuse to give up guns no matter how many people get killed will not yield to debate. All you can do is call it out for what it is.

calling people that disagree with your simple solution narcissistic and depraved isn't helping your case other than with people that are already just as short sighted as you are being.

If people won't give up guns when people are getting killed I don't expect they will give them up after a mere discussion. There's not much point trying to talk seriously about anything with those who are determined not to accept simple truths. All we can do is identify them, the ones for whom the discussion is just an opportunity to kick up a fog of lies and evasion, and then abandon them to their own little ghetto of the soul while we get on with fixing things.
mcgruff

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#335  Postby Oldskeptic » Oct 06, 2015 8:33 pm

Sendraks wrote:
Oldskeptic wrote:So, why isn't the government learning the same lesson from Cumbria? Is there some cut off point between 12 and 17 where the number of deaths are acceptable?

If you weren't so horribly biased, you'd have already thought this through.

Horribly biased towards what? Sensible solutions?

1 - Shotguns and Bolt action rifles are most commonly used for hunting and pest control.
2 - Amongst the UKs hunters and farmers are many rich landowning types.
3 - Rich, lobbying types, who are part of influential groups.
4 - Also, rich landowning types tend to be Tories. 2010 we had a Tory Government.

It doesn't take much brainpower to figure out why the Government did press for a ban on those firearm types following Cumbria.

That's probably part of it, but with nearly a million guns still legally owned in the UK maybe not the whole story. I Imagine that tradition plays a part in it also, just as it does in the US. That's something I've pointed out before. I don't think that the 2nd amendment is any kind of good argument for legally owned guns in the US. By the verbiage it pertains only to people that are members of well regulated militias, but the supreme court interprets the 2nd amendment as an individual right because it's outside the court's purview to decide on matters other than constitutional questions.

I'm in agreement with the Home Office's Damian Green at least on rights vs. privileges where guns are concerned. I don't think that there is a constitutional protected right to own guns in the US. It's a privilege that if abused can be taken away. The question is should that privilege be taken away from everyone because of the actions of a few?

The Home Office and Damian Green, in the case of 22. rifles and shotguns, seem to be saying, "no." They recognize and acknowledge in writing that there are responsible people in the UK that have guns for leisure/recreational purpose, and that they should not be penalized for the actions of "an extremely small minority." As I said earlier this position could have easily been taken concerning legally owned handguns, and it is the position of many in the US.

I'm not trying to diminish the tragedy of Dunblane, but Thomas Hamilton did constitute an extremely small minority.

Pistols and semi-automatics didn't have widespread use...

Maybe not in the UK, but that's not the case in the US. Many people enjoy going out to gun ranges and shooting at targets with friends. Showing off their pistols and their accuracy without ever entertaining the thought of shooting a person. Many people, particularly women that live alone, feel safer with having a pistol for protection. I'm not going to argue over whether they are actually safer because that is a long and complicated debate. It's enough that they feel safer and can sleep better at night. Some enthusiasts in the US even hunt with pistols.

Oldskeptic wrote:So, the difference as you see it is that a man with one 22. rifle and one shotgun can't quite kill as many people as a man with two semi-automatic handguns and two revolvers? That's the difference that stricter laws made?

The lesson learned by the UK and the US should be that stricter gun control laws do nothing towards reducing the number of these kinds of incidents.

You've slipped wholly into the world of the irrational at this point.

I don't think so. There is a point of diminishing returns, and after banning mortars, rockets, grenades, fully automatic weapons, and high capacity magazines I think it's probably been reached.

Lets see.
Were the types of weapons used at Hungerford used at Dunblane? – No.
Were the types of weapons used at Dunblane used in Cumbria ? – No.
Was the expected result of banning those firearms types achieved? – Yes.

If the result expected and hoped for was people being killed in massacres by weapons other than semi-automatic rifles and handguns then yes, the expected result was achieved, but if an expected overall result was not having these kinds of killings happen again then no.

And also - YOU DON'T KNOW HOW MANY INCIDENTS WERE PREVENTED BY THESE CHANGES IN LAW.
Maybe its a failing of the UK systems, but we're not very good at collecting data on incidents that didn't occur.

And you don't know that any were prevented. What you can know is that they didn't prevent Cumbria.

Oldskeptic wrote:When I say these kinds of massacres I'm not linking by where they happened or who they happened to or by weapons used. The common denominator is disaffected, disgruntled people that feel they have been unfairly treated and or harmed by a certain group or society as a whole. These people once they decided to seek revenge by killing are not going to be stopped by what weapons are not available.

I agree that limiting the availability of weapons doesn't magically stop people from going on erratic, bloody thirsty, rampages, but it does potentially decrease the amount of harm they can do.

Potentially being the key word there.

In addition, limiting access to weapons with which it is relatively easy to kill people, means that individuals will have to be very highly motivated to go out and do harm with a melee based weapon. Be it kitchen knife, or baseball bat or whatever.

The thing is that most of the people that have commit these kinds of killings are highly motivated to kill. They don't just pick up the nearest weapon and start blasting away. They brood and plan, sometimes for months.

And you're right in that the only way to meaningfully tackle the problem of such incidents, is to look at the underlying social factors and address those. I absolutely agree that you can't just ban firearms in the US, because it won't achieve the results that it has in the UK. Its a larger nation, the attitude to firearms use is different. Tighter regulation would probably go someway to achieving the change the US needs, mainly through dint that tighter regulation tends to produce useful data which can be used to then drive further meaningful actions.

I'm not opposed to tighter regulations. I'm on record on this forum as supporting stricter regulation of legal and illegal weapons than even some gun opponents find unappealing.
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#336  Postby Oldskeptic » Oct 06, 2015 8:38 pm

Fallible wrote:
Oldskeptic wrote:
Fallible wrote:Oldskeptic - The laws were passed in 1988. And the laws after Hungerford didn't deal with pistols, so no, they wouldn't have stopped that. The restrictions passed after Dunblane were to do with pistols. The Cumbria shooting was carried out by a man with a shotgun. So no, it wouldn't have stopped that. There have been no mass killings with assorted firearms since Hungerford, and no mass killings involving pistols since Dunblane. In other words, the legislation worked.

In the Cumbria shootings Derrick Bird used a 22. rifle and a shot gun, how is that not assorted firearms? Thomas Hamilton at Dunblane used two 9mm Browning HP pistols and two Smith & Wesson M19 .357s, how is that not assorted firearms. Michael Robert at Hungerford used a handgun and two semi-automatic rifles, how is that assorted firearms and the 4 pistols at Dunblane is not.

OldSkeptic, you'll have to excuse my ignorance of firearms and the terminology related to firearms. Having never seen a real gun, let alone owned one or felt the need to do so, I am pretty ill-equipped to talk as you have about them. My point was that in each case that you referred to, the same guns were not used in a subsequent attack. A, singular. Remember that part. So for you to say that the subsequent legislation made absolutely no difference is a bit disingenuous.

If all you're looking for is different weapons being used to the same effect then you do have a point.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#337  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Oct 06, 2015 8:43 pm

Oldskeptic wrote:
Maybe not in the UK, but that's not the case in the US. Many people enjoy going out to gun ranges and shooting at targets with friends. Showing off their pistols [snip other stuff]

what it basically boils down to is:
fuck off, I like guns
Or in the case of the UK "fuck it, I'm a toff who likes hunting and is buddies with the PM"

mebby we could save everyone the work of typing arguments if the 2nd ammendment clenchers could just post this right at the beginning of such threads, it's all you have.
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#338  Postby Sendraks » Oct 06, 2015 8:49 pm

Oldskeptic wrote:If all you're looking for is different weapons being used to the same effect then you do have a point.

That's the entire point.

We're not being unrealistic here, a law banning certain types of guns can only realistically at best prevent those types of guns from being legally owned and then used in tragic events. The laws worked as intended in this regard. I do wholly agree with you that anyone who thought that this would somehow mean an end to firearms being used in these sorts of tragedies, without banning all firearms, was gravely mistaken.

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#339  Postby Oldskeptic » Oct 06, 2015 10:01 pm

tolman wrote:What makes you conclude that every such person is necessarily on a downward slope which will inevitably result in their attempting mass murder?

That is not a conclusion of mine. It is an extremely small minority of such people that end up committing the type of crime being discussed.

tolman wrote:Surely, some subset of people act impulsively at a peak of frustration which would pass given time?

And the problem is that portion of people where the frustration does not pass with time.

tolman wrote:What makes you think that even in someone with compromised rationality the decision to seek revenge by killing is entirely independent of the possible means available to them, and their expectations of success?

I don't think these kinds of decisions are entirely independent on any one thing, but when someone becomes intent on killing 10, 20, 30... people that are perceived to have wronged them, humiliated them... I think the choice of weapons is secondary. They will find a way.

And it is worth noting that not always, and not even often, are the people attacked the actual people that have caused the perceived wrongs and or humiliations. The people attacked are representative of those people, and in cases like Dunblane the targets are people that the perceived wrong doers care about.

tolman wrote:What if someone is well below average build - are they really going to be (and expect to be) as successful with a blade as with a gun?

The thing is that women committing these types of crimes is almost unheard of (Something else pointing to mental disposition as a major factor in rampage killings) and just about any man has sufficient strength to wield something like a machete effectively.

tolman wrote:Though to be fair, having said that, if they picked their target location correctly, most people of any build would have a good chance of killing at least as many people with a vehicle as they could with a gun, even if targeting specific individuals might be difficult.

And in many, if not most, of these kinds of incidences there are not specific targets. It's attacks on the kinds of people that are perceived to have caused harm and insult.

tolman wrote:But maybe that just wouldn't seem as romantic or impressive, even to an irrational mind.

No, motor vehicles don't seem to be what's called for in these kinds of killing sprees, but anyone can buy a machete at a sporting goods store, or a double bladed axe at a hardware store, or a meat clever at a culinary store, or a samurai sword from an Asian store, or a gasoline at almost any petrol station.

Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#340  Postby Byron » Oct 06, 2015 10:16 pm

Oldskeptic wrote:[...] And it is worth noting that not always, and not even often, are the people attacked the actual people that have caused the perceived wrongs and or humiliations. The people attacked are representative of those people, and in cases like Dunblane the targets are people that the perceived wrong doers care about. [...]

Absolutely, a mindset that was spelt out at tortuous length in Elliot Rodger's screed of a manifesto. The whiny little freak was out to murder the men he wanted to be, for succeeding with the women he wanted to bed.

Like Rodger, these mass-murderers tend to exhibit the dark triad of narcissism, Machiavellianism and psychopathy. They're isolated, self-involved plotters who hate the world for not recognizing a brilliance obvious to them, until their frustrations explode in an orgy of violence.

They're not unholy demons, nor are they particularly hard to understand and identify. They're not a symptom of various alleged social ills, be they video games, guns, pornography or globalization, and using them as a catalyst for hand-wringing and social commentary invests them with far too much importance. They're simply broken people who're wired wrong, who should be locked up as a threat to society, and thanks to civil commitment laws, if the structures and funding are in place to find and detain them, they can be.
I don't believe in the no-win scenario.
Kirk, Enterprise

Ms. Lovelace © Ms. Padua, resident of 2D Goggles
Byron

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs