Paedo hysteria on Faecesbook

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Paedo hysteria on Faecesbook

#1  Postby Mike_L » May 20, 2016 7:47 am

Is this picture disgusting or beautiful?

By BBC Trending

This photograph of a father holding his son in the shower has been shared tens of thousands of times on Facebook in the last fortnight. But over the same period it's also also been taken down by the social media platform more than once before ultimately being reinstated each time. Why?

In some ways the picture appears to show a fairly everyday scene. A dad cradling his severely sick child in his arms. Except in this instance, they are in the shower and both naked. The picture was posted on social media by the photographer Heather Whitten who lives in Arizona in the US. It shows her son Fox and her husband, the boy's father Thomas Whitten.

For many viewers the image is a touching portrait of parental care and affection. The reason that father and son were naked was because Fox had Salmonella poisoning for which he would soon after be hospitalised.
"Thomas had spent hours in the shower with him, trying to keep his fever down and letting the vomit and diarrhea rinse off of them both as it came," Whitten wrote in her post accompanying the photo.
"He was so patient and so loving and so strong with our tiny son in his lap... I stepped out and grabbed my camera and came back to snap a few images of it and, of course shared them."

But for some people the image is inappropriate at best and at worst has undertones of paedophilia. Whitten has been surprised by this reaction and was shocked when people posted negative comments about what was for her a beautiful moment.
CONTINUED
Full article at:
http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-36322279
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

Re: Paedo hysteria on Faecesbook

#2  Postby Thomas Eshuis » May 20, 2016 7:52 am

Shows how I can still fall for sexist stereotypes. I assumed it was a girl, due to the long hair.
And that people confuse this for pedophelia is ridiculous.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » May 20, 2016 8:16 am

Who hasn't showered with their little kids?

That's a very tired parent with a sick little kid. The kid feels terrible and his dad is trying to comfort him amidst vomiting and diarrhoea. I would have thought we'd all been there and would completely understand.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4  Postby tuco » May 20, 2016 9:12 am

.. and, of course shared them.

Of course! What Ken M has to say? That ought to be interesting.
tuco

Print view this post

#5  Postby Fallible » May 20, 2016 9:40 am

Yes, I probably wouldn't have shared the photo, but then I'm not a photographer. I just thought bathing with your little kid is what people do. We certainly did, whether she was ill or not, both of us. At a certain age some sort of wall comes down and beyond that it would probably feel a bit weird, and you stop. For us it petered out when kiddo lost the enthusiasm for it. For a while it's something they really like and look forward to, because they can get their little boats and ducks and have some uninterrupted time, no TV or interruptions, with their mum or dad. :dunno:
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#6  Postby ED209 » May 20, 2016 9:40 am

Neither, it's a sad and desperate time as anyone who's feared complications of a child's fever will find familiar.

Bit odd sharing it, though. One of the child on the mend yes, but not during the worst of it. Why even take a picture?
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#7  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » May 20, 2016 9:45 am

It sounds like, for the wife/mom who took the picture, it was about seeing her partner care for their child,
not, "See my sick baby".
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#8  Postby tuco » May 20, 2016 10:05 am

Whitten has been surprised by this reaction and was shocked when people posted negative comments about what was for her a beautiful moment.

Whitten is internet noob, that's the moral of the story, child or not. Internet is not safe space where you post something you like and expect everyone else to like it.
tuco

Print view this post

#9  Postby Animavore » May 20, 2016 10:43 am

There was a similar picture recently with a woman in the shower with her sick child recently. So it's a bit of a copy cat to be honest.

The woman one didn't gather any complaints though. Just a load of, "Awws."
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#10  Postby tuco » May 20, 2016 11:03 am

... undertones of paedophilia

If there was a woman holding the child not even Ken M would dare to undertone. This makes me wonder .. are those undertones sexist? Yes.
tuco

Print view this post

#11  Postby crank » May 20, 2016 1:32 pm

There are probably a lot of people in prison for taking such pictures. I've heard of a number of cases where the parents were turned in to the police for this kind of photograph. The warping of the mind by the hatred of sex by christianity and Islam has a long and horrific legacy.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#12  Postby purplerat » May 20, 2016 1:49 pm

This is why I share virtually nothing about my children online. I'm not worried about some random stranger seeing a pic of my kids on FB and "coming after them" but I am very worried about some family member seeing something and ending up in a situation like the OP.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Acetone » May 20, 2016 2:59 pm

My dad and I showered together once when I was younger. Nothing weird about it but I think it would've been weird if my dad did this with me. It would've felt especially weird if my mother took a photo a posted it online. Not weird in a paedophilic way. Just strange.

For one thing if my fever ever got so bad my parents thought I needed to "cool down in the shower" and got naked and sat in a shower and took pics of how super powerful my dad was, rather than rushing my ass to the hospital I'd be pretty pissed.

My mom had to put me in a bathtub exactly one time, and I was a teenager. A chemical set I had was left open and I breathed in a lot of the fine powders when I was looking for something. There were calls to my dad and poison control while I was in the bathtub fully clothed with a bar of soap down my throat and water rinsing lol.
Acetone

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#14  Postby purplerat » May 20, 2016 3:17 pm

Acetone wrote:
For one thing if my fever ever got so bad my parents thought I needed to "cool down in the shower" and got naked and sat in a shower and took pics of how super powerful my dad was, rather than rushing my ass to the hospital I'd be pretty pissed.

Young kids can spike high fevers but don't necessarily need to be rushed to the emergency room. If possible it's much better to manage it at home rather then bring them to the hospital where they really can't do much more anyways and the kid will be very uncomfortable and exposed to who only knows what types of infectious diseases from other patients.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby logical bob » May 20, 2016 3:18 pm

Of course I'd get in the shower with my child. But never in a million years would I publicly post a picture of my child taken when they were ill to the point of being hospitalised shortly afterwards.
logical bob

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#16  Postby ED209 » May 20, 2016 3:51 pm

purplerat wrote:
Acetone wrote:

Young kids can spike high fevers but don't necessarily need to be rushed to the emergency room. If possible it's much better to manage it at home rather then bring them to the hospital where they really can't do much more anyways and the kid will be very uncomfortable and exposed to who only knows what types of infectious diseases from other patients.

Dowsing in cold water is not the recommended treatment though. Official advice seems to keep changing between 'don't do anything, it doesn't help' and 'swabbing with cool damp cloth doesn't hurt'.

Fever on its own is one thing but fever with vomitting can indicate very serious conditions, medical attention required. Even if it's 'just' food poisoning, that can kill even a healthy adult or cause permanent organ damage.

I still don't get why the memory of hours of your feverish child shivering vomiting and shitting in the shower before you finally take him to a doctor is one for the family album (or indeed facebook).
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#17  Postby Papa Smurf » May 20, 2016 3:57 pm

I don't get why so many people feel this urge to share pictures and all kinds of other things of their lives with the rest of the world. I just don't.
Papa Smurf

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#18  Postby purplerat » May 20, 2016 4:02 pm

ED209 wrote:
purplerat wrote:
Acetone wrote:

Dowsing in cold water is not the recommended treatment though. Official advice seems to keep changing between 'don't do anything, it doesn't help' and 'swabbing with cool damp cloth doesn't hurt'.

Fever on its own is one thing but fever with vomitting can indicate very serious conditions, medical attention required. Even if it's 'just' food poisoning, that can kill even a healthy adult or cause permanent organ damage.

I still don't get why the memory of hours of your feverish child shivering vomiting and shitting in the shower before you finally take him to a doctor is one for the family album (or indeed facebook).

I would say it's still the recommended treatment for washing away the shit and vomit though. I know when my kids are sick they tend to perk up in the tub. I find that keeping them happy when they are sick is important because it makes it easier to judge how they are doing.

As far as taking/sharing a picture, meh is about all I can say. Cameras are everywhere today so it's so easy to snap a pic without interfering with what's important. In fact my wife uses a thermometer which plugs into her iPhone to check our kids so she literally has a camera in her hands every time she takes their temperature. For all I know this mother was doing the same and just snapped a quick pic because why not.

As for sharing it I think people over share in general. Nothing new here.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19  Postby The_Piper » May 20, 2016 4:32 pm

A. People can be fucking morons.
B. People can be fucking morons.
:shifty: :popcorn:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby tuco » May 20, 2016 4:38 pm

There's gotta be PhD thesis on sharing as its relatively new phenomena. FB is made for sharing. Over share .. that is the thing. I suspect (as I have no experience) that once someone starts sharing, its hard to draw a line between what to share and whatnot.
tuco

Print view this post

Next

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs