Police use ice cream music to embarrass teen rioters

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Police use ice cream music to embarrass teen rioters

#1  Postby Harmonica » May 29, 2010 9:06 pm

Police use ice cream music to embarrass teen rioters in Belfast

Nursery rhymes set to music are deeply uncool. Just ask the bottle-throwing teenagers on the Twinbrook estate on outskirts of west Belfast. Ice cream music was played to them as they misbehaved and it stopped them.

In an action that was cleverly psychological, the nursery tunes were blasted through the loudspeakers of a Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) armored Land Rover after the patrol came under attack from about 15 teenagers last weekend.

The police have said no further action was taken. However it's understood that senior officers have taken a dim view of the successful tactic.

'The crew passed a group of around 15 youths who threw bottles at their Land Rover police vehicle,” a PSNI spokesman told the Belfast Telegraph.

“An officer used the vehicle's loudspeaker system to play music to the youths in an effort to use humor to defuse the situation. The youths stopped throwing the bottles. However police accept that this was not an appropriate action. The officer has been spoken to by a senior officer in order to establish the circumstances of the incident.”

Among those who did not see the funny side was Sinn Fein councilor Angela Nelson. “It was a very immature way for police to deal with a very serious problem,” she said. We have serious issues with on-street drinking and the anti-social behavior that results from that on-street drinking. I would have expected the PSNI to have a more mature outlook and not to come up and play ice cream tunes.”

Nelson dismissed the PSNI’s statement which said the music had defused a tense situation.

'”hat is a very good excuse when they have been caught out. It’s waffle. Where in the world does a police service say that their way of dealing with anti-social behavior is through humor?”

The answer to Nelson's question is Los Angeles. The Drew Street gang was for years one of the most dangerous street gangs in northeast L.A. Hooded gang members lurked behind parked cars and on apartment balconies. At night, tires squealed and gunshots echoed while neighbors huddled in their homes.

In response to the nightly terror the City renamed the streets where the gang congregated Gay Street and Pansy Square. Overnight, after the name change, the gang no longer congregated there and crime decreased.

Perhaps there's more to this humorous and psychological approach than may initially meet the eye.

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Police ... 03964.html
Harmonica

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Police use ice cream music to embarrass teen rioters

#2  Postby Millefleur » May 29, 2010 9:18 pm

I've heard of cheesy pop being played in public places to deter teens, with great success
This post was brought to you by Millefleur's Mature Responses™

Millefleur

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Sityl » May 29, 2010 9:19 pm

:rofl:

P.S. What's up the tosser's asses who are upset? They used psychological manipulation to stop a bunch of misbeahing kids from throwing bottles at them, and it caused NO DAMGE whatsoever. It was brilliant and should be praised. Would they have preferred the cops got out and started beating kids with a stick?
Stephen Colbert wrote:Now, like all great theologies, Bill [O'Reilly]'s can be boiled down to one sentence - 'There must be a god, because I don't know how things work.'

Sityl

Name: Ser Sityllan Payne
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Wiðercora » May 29, 2010 9:25 pm

That is fucking inspired. Give that man medal.
If the unemployed learned to be better managers they would be visibly better off, and I fancy it would not be long before the dole was docked correspondingly.
-- George Orwell

Infrequently updated photo blog.
Wiðercora

Name: Call me 'Betty'.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Tyrannical » May 29, 2010 9:48 pm

Millefleur wrote:I've heard of cheesy pop being played in public places to deter teens, with great success

Are you sure it wasn't classical? Teens love their cheesy pop music, almost by definition of the term "pop".

I've also heard of Country music being played to deter certain classes of people.
Good fences make good neighbors
Tyrannical
Banned Troll

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby mraltair » May 29, 2010 10:00 pm

Screw that, really high pitched noises blasted out loudly will sort them (and any dogs) out.
mraltair

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Tyrannical » May 29, 2010 10:02 pm

mraltair wrote:Screw that, really high pitched noises blasted out loudly will sort them (and any dogs) out.

I think that may have been outlawed. I assume you are referring to the sensitivity to certain high pitch sounds that teenagers can here but mature adults can not.
Tyrannical
Banned Troll

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Millefleur » May 29, 2010 10:08 pm

Tyrannical wrote:
Millefleur wrote:I've heard of cheesy pop being played in public places to deter teens, with great success

Are you sure it wasn't classical? Teens love their cheesy pop music, almost by definition of the term "pop".

I've also heard of Country music being played to deter certain classes of people.

Alright, 70s/80s cheesy pop, anything considered outdated and uncool by the kind of kids that hang around libraries, cash points etc robbing grannies for the fun of it.

Barry Manilow springs to mind, there were others.
This post was brought to you by Millefleur's Mature Responses™

Millefleur

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby mraltair » May 29, 2010 10:11 pm

Tyrannical wrote:
mraltair wrote:Screw that, really high pitched noises blasted out loudly will sort them (and any dogs) out.

I think that may have been outlawed. I assume you are referring to the sensitivity to certain high pitch sounds that teenagers can here but mature adults can not.

Yep and ohhh spoil my fun. :snooty:

They still use it for cat scarer devices. Cats, I may add, that aren't throwing bottles at people.
mraltair

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Ash » May 29, 2010 10:50 pm

Great stuff! I don't see why anyone would moan about it - it worked. The PSNI surprised them into stopping without even getting out of the car.
Profanity is the one language all programmers know best.
Ash

Female

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Tyrannical » May 29, 2010 10:57 pm

I'd be pissed enough to start a riot if I found no ice cream truck!
Tyrannical
Banned Troll

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Kenaz » May 29, 2010 11:51 pm

I also don't understand the problem, brilliant to me. :think:
Question marks may be at the end of sentences; but in life they are the introduction.
Kenaz
RS Donator

Print view this post

#13  Postby Audley Strange » May 30, 2010 12:00 am

A fantastic tactic, it should be implemented more often in larger conflict situations.
Audley Strange

Print view this post

#14  Postby Stylesjl » May 30, 2010 12:07 am

This might have worked even better

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mosquito
Stylesjl

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#15  Postby thaesofereode » May 30, 2010 12:10 am

I'd heard of a fast food location ... I think it was a KFC ... that had a problem with loitering, which stopped when they started playing classical music on outside loudspeakers.
thaesofereode

Print view this post

#16  Postby Mac_Guffin » May 30, 2010 12:15 am

Tyrannical wrote:

It depends on what type of teens we're talking about. The kind who start riots are the type who hate pop.
They would be listening to Limp Bizkit and Korn, or whatever new-fangled groups they got out now. :scratch:
Mac_Guffin

Name: Christopher
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Kazaman » May 30, 2010 12:37 am

thaesofereode wrote:I'd heard of a fast food location ... I think it was a KFC ... that had a problem with loitering, which stopped when they started playing classical music on outside loudspeakers.

Perhaps I should encourage my more rebellious peers to riot, if it means that businesses will play some good music. ;)
Kazaman

Name: Stephen
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Corneel » May 30, 2010 4:37 am

This just calls for *ding* *ding* the Ice Cream Man:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu3TvC9CH18[/youtube]
"Damn it! Why am I arguing shit on the internet again!?"
"'cuz sometimes you just need a cumshot of stupid to the face?"

(from Something Positive)

The best movie theme ever

Ceterum censeo Praesidem Anguimanum esse demovendum
Corneel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Festeringbob » May 30, 2010 7:41 am

Tyrannical wrote:

i believe britney spears music has been used to deter wild animals from entering farm land
Liberty Prime is online. All systems nominal. Weapons hot. Mission: the destruction of any and all Chinese communists.
Festeringbob

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Varangian » May 30, 2010 7:44 am

Now, if the Police started to sell icecream from their Land Rovers, I think they would have a real winner on their hands! ;)

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

Next

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs