Prop 8 Trial: Perry vs. Schwarzenegger

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Prop 8 Trial: Perry vs. Schwarzenegger

#1  Postby BrandySpears » Mar 11, 2010 7:06 pm

Boies and Olsen interview by TowleRoad.com
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30VhC9rw_dE[/youtube]

Boies, Olson Voice Prop 8 Optimism
In New York appearance, marriage equality litigators says opponents fell well short

“Every person in America should see this, and we would end this now,” Ted Olson, one of two superstar attorneys challenging California’s Proposition 8, said of the case he and fellow litigator David Boies have mounted in a San Francisco federal court.

Olson was referring not only to what the two attorneys, in their first public appearance since the trial began in January, said was the clear superiority of their arguments compared to those put forward by Prop 8’s supporters, but also to the one disappointment marriage equality advocates have so far sustained during the trial –– the US Supreme Court’s refusal to allow cameras to record the proceedings, even for narrowcasting to a handful of federal courthouses outside San Francisco.

That decision, coupled with an earlier jettisoning of the trial court judge’s plan to post each day’s testimony on YouTube, to some degree reined in their hopes to, in Boies’ words, “move the public debate.”

Olson and Boies –– a legal odd couple who were opponents in the infamous Bush v. Gore Supreme Court case that settled the 2000 election –– made their comments in a March 10 one-hour conversation before an invitation-only audience of roughly 100 at the New York Times headquarters in Midtown. Adam Liptak, the newspaper’s Supreme Court reporter, moderated.

For those not disposed to following the trial hour-by-hour even if it were posted online, the Supreme Court’s 5-4 decision might seem a footnote in an already complex legal battleground. But given the longstanding aversion among top LGBT legal advocacy groups to any effort at leapfrogging the marriage equality issue from state courts to the federal judiciary out of concern about the high court’s rightward tilt, it was appropriate that Liptak pressed the attorneys on why observers shouldn’t read the camera ruling as a troubling bellwether.

Boies and Olson were having none of it. The Supreme Court, Olson said, has an allergy to cameras in federal courts, and was unwilling to allow them to get their nose under the tent in District Court Judge Vaughn Walker’s unprecedented plan for a video feed –– notwithstanding the Ninth Circuit’s approval of it.

In fact, cameras, though routine in many state courts, have made little headway in federal courts, so Walker’s plan was a break with tradition.

But, Liptak noted, the 5-4 majority –– split along the usual ideological lines, with Justice Anthony Kennedy, a swing vote on several gay rights victories, this time siding with the conservatives –– also gave credence to the Prop 8 supporters’ arguments that their privacy and even their well-being would be threatened by broadcasting their testimony.

The court was interested in “preserving a certain degree of anonymity in the political process,” Boies said, trying to minimize how much its posture on this question signaled specific sympathy for the Prop 8 side.

Retired Justice David Souter, an unbending opponent of cameras in the courtroom but someone who sided with liberals on cases divided by ideology, would have voted with the majority on this question, Boies asserted.

The problem with Boies and Olson’s effort at dismissing any ideological predisposition in the high court’s camera ruling, however, is that they clearly think very little of the claims Prop 8’s supporters made about the risk posed to their anonymity.

Arguing that the court’s conclusion about the dangers of compromising privacy in this case was “fundamentally wrong,” Boies said of Prop 8’s defenders, “These were professional experts… these were people who made speeches, who had given money, who had intentionally gone out and made themselves part of this thing.”

“They weren’t worried about the publicity,” Olson said. “They were worried about David Boies cross-examining them.”

In other words, Prop 8 advocates were unwilling to have the American people hear the case debated under the strict rules of the courtroom, where they would have to defend their position in detail, rather than simply answer “softball questions” (presumably, from the media).

Whether recorded on video or not, however, Boies and Olson believe they have established the best possible record in challenging Proposition 8’s constitutionality. To those who questioned the timing of this federal challenge –– especially longtime litigators in the LGBT legal community to whom Boies expressed “deference” –– their answer was simple: “This was going to be litigated” by someone sometime soon.

As the attorneys wait to return to Walker’s courtroom to make final arguments –– later this month or in early April –– Boies said, “I feel very good” about the outcome at this first stage. Walker, he said, outlined the issues he wanted addressed at trial, and if those remain the questions uppermost in his mind, “we win.”

The attorneys set out to prove three things, Boies explained –– that the right to marry is “fundamental”; that the discrimination same-sex couples suffer under Prop 8 hurts them and their children; and that there is no harm to different-sex couples from opening up marriage to gay and lesbian couples.

The “fundamental” question has been addressed affirmatively in numerous Supreme Court rulings –– not only the famous 1967 Loving decision that struck down miscegenation laws, but also in cases involving limitations on marriage rights for divorced partners found guilty of spousal abuse and for prison inmates.

The other side’s experts, Boies said, acknowledged that gay couples and their children face harm from their exclusion from marriage and, when pressed pre-trial by Judge Walker to say how heterosexual married couples would be harmed by marriage equality, Charles Cooper, the attorney defending Prop 8, said, “I don’t know, I don't know.”

“I have yet to hear any powerful argument on the other side,” Olson said, suggesting that Prop 8’s defenders quite nearly defaulted in mounting any counter-case.

“They had no evidence and we had all this,” Boies said, pointing to his side’s success at proving what it set out to.

The argument that marriage is primarily an institution to steer heterosexual procreation into stable family settings faltered from the get-go, Olson said, when Walker noted that the most recent couple he married were in their 80s. The “bumper sticker” that marriage has always been the union of a man and a woman amounts to “a tautology,” both attorneys argued.

Justice Kennedy, in the 2003 Lawrence sodomy ruling, Boies pointed out, argued that a tradition of discrimination “doesn’t make it right, it only makes it worse.”

It is no exaggeration to conclude that Boies and Olson are confident about their chances before Judge Walker, from whom they expect a ruling no later than June. The next step, they predicted, would be “expedited review” by the Ninth Circuit, perhaps in an “en banc” hearing that includes all of its appellate judges.

Victory at the appellate level –– which would legalize marriage for same-sex couples either in California or possibly in all nine states in the Ninth Circuit –– would speed Supreme Court review, since that victory would certainly be stayed, the attorneys said, until the high court ruled.

Boies and Olson were cagiest on how broad they think a potential district court victory might be. The court could find –– in somewhat analogous fashion to a 1996 Supreme Court case in which an anti-gay Colorado amendment was thrown out –– that voters in California had acted to deny gay and lesbian couples the equal protection of the law, in this case guaranteed by the state rather than the federal Constitution.

Or, Walker could rule that Boies and Olson succeeded in doing what they say they will fight to the end to demonstrate –– that the fundamental right to marry and the equal protection of the laws of the United States are violated when same-sex couples are denied access to civil marriage.

That, of course, would be the ultimate game-changer. Olson, perhaps the nation’s preeminent Supreme Court litigator, and Boies are clearly banking on their ability to win that argument on the merits at the high court, whatever the conventional wisdom about the current justices’ biases.

When asked afterward whether his confidence at the district court level is about winning the general argument or more narrowly restoring the right to marry in California, Boies said he was uncertain, acknowledging that Walker might well reach a decision fashioned to survive review by the Ninth Circuit and the Supreme Court. Even at this first stage, then, politics are not absent from the judicial equation.

Considering the potential for some measure of defeat at the Supreme Court that left the marriage equality question squarely up to the states, Boies was crisp in putting a good face on it, saying it would prove that “the downside is limited” in the strategy their team is pursuing. A federal constitutional claim against sodomy laws was rejected by the high court in a stinging 1986 ruling, which was later overturned after many of the remaining state prohibitions had been repealed or otherwise thrown out. That reversal, of course, took 17 years.

http://www.gaycitynews.com/articles/201 ... 379058.txt
BrandySpears

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Prop 8 Trial: Perry vs. Schwarzenegger

#2  Postby BrandySpears » Apr 10, 2010 1:47 am

Chris Matthews on Fundamental Rights
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0sa1pPnsjo[/youtube]
BrandySpears

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby BrandySpears » Apr 28, 2010 9:44 pm

Protect Marriage wants to suppress their own witness! Judge Walker sets closing argument date of June 16th.

But besides setting a date for closing arguments, Judge Walker set a date for the defense counsel to submit their motion to suppress at least part of Dr. Tam’s testimony. As you recall, Dr. Tam was the right-wing San Francisco minister who believed that his kids will turn gay if marriage equality was allowed to remain. We’ll find out on May 7th how much of the testimony they want stricken from the record, and what is their basis. Our side will have until May 10th to then file an objection.

So what happens if Dr. Tam’s testimony is taken out? Dr. Tam was powerful evidence that Prop 8 was driven by animus and a hatred of homosexuals, which would be enough to strike Prop 8 — even under the more lenient “rational basis” grounds set up in Romer v. Evans (1996.) But while Dr. Tam’s testimony is damning and it should be kept in, there was a whole lot of other evidence that our side presented. In fact, when it came time for the defense to produce their “experts,” there wasn’t a whole lot of reason they could provide.

MORE: http://prop8trialtracker.com/2010/04/28 ... june-16th/
BrandySpears

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby BrandySpears » Jun 16, 2010 4:28 pm

Prop 8 closing arguments start at 10am Pacific.
http://prop8trialtracker.com/
BrandySpears

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Tbickle » Jun 16, 2010 4:52 pm

:coffee:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
-Thomas Paine
Tbickle

Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Print view this post

#6  Postby sys » Jun 16, 2010 5:09 pm

I've never understood the argument that gay marriage is a threat to straight marriage. Unless they are worried that their partners will divorce them so they can run off and have a same sex marriage.
If your marriage is on such shaky ground that two men marrying each other is enough to destroy it, then you have your own problems you need to deal with.
sys

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby pcCoder » Jun 16, 2010 6:47 pm

Neither have I. It sounds as absurd as saying interracial marriage will be a threat to unmixed marriages. Also the argument that a child needs both a mother and a father has problems. First, for any single parent it poses a problem, and to decide that gay marriage must be wrong because a child doesn't have both would be to also decide that being a single parent must be wrong. I'm sure in the past it could also have been said that a child should have a mother and father of the same skin color, that a child may be confused if he is black or white but has both as parents or some other stuff (does anyone know of the b/s claims that opponents to interracial marriage used back them)

I wonder if this is going to the supreme court. I think it will eventually end up there not matter what. If the judge supports Prop 8, then an appeal seems likely by the opponents, but if the judge overturns it, then an appeal seems likely by the proponents. After some weird decisions by them lately such as a recent ruling on the rights of corporations, I don't know if I want such a case to go to them yet. However if they decide that it is unconstitutional, then all states would have to follow (supposedly). They way I see it is if it does get to the supreme court and the bans are ruled unconstitutional, those who support the bans will piss their pants for a little while and eventually get over it just like many of the previous civil rights movements, be it freedom for slaves, equality for African Americans, equality for women, right to inter-racially marry, etc.
pcCoder

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#8  Postby NineOneFour » Jun 16, 2010 9:09 pm

BrandySpears wrote:Prop 8 closing arguments start at 10am Pacific.
http://prop8trialtracker.com/

Finally!

When will the judge rule?
Citizen of the (future) People's Social Democratic Republic of Cascadia.
cascadianow.org

For help managing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), go here. I am able to manage it, and so can you.
NineOneFour

Name: Yes, I'm an asshole.
Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#9  Postby BrandySpears » Jun 27, 2010 4:32 pm

Attorney David Boies on the trial and Prop 8's Bumper Sticker Legal Argument:
You’ve said that a good lawyer must objectively understand his opponent’s argument to be successful. In the case of gay marriage, what exactly is your opponent’s argument?

Well, a good lawyer has got to understand his opponent’s argument to the extent that there is one. I think that this case is probably the case in which my opponent has had less of an argument than in any case that I can think of. They have essentially a slogan, a bumper sticker, a tautology: They say “marriage is between a man and a woman.” That’s the question. That’s not the answer. And they don’t have any reasons why that ought to be the answer.

In Ted Olson’s closing argument, he said that the Proposition 8 proponents shifted gears three times. What did he mean?

During the campaign [in California in 2008], it was "Protect our children. Don’t let them know about gay and lesbian marriage, because if they learn about gay and lesbian marriage they’ll think the gay and lesbian lifestyle is OK, and that’s wrong." When they got to trial, I think they recognized that that blatantly discriminatory message was not going to fly. So they started off by saying, "You’ve got to ban gay and lesbian marriage, because if you don’t, you’re going to undermine heterosexual marriage." That proved to be a proposition for which there was no evidence at all, and it was totally contrary to common sense. So they abandoned that.

* Continue reading

And then their final argument was, "Well we don’t know what the effect is going to be of gay and lesbian marriage. And so you ought to ban it because you don’t know what the effect will be." So we said, "First, lack of knowledge is not a basis for discrimination. And second, in fact we do know what the result of gay and lesbian marriage will be. It will improve the lives of gay and lesbian couples, it will improve the health and welfare of the children that gay and lesbian couples are raising. It will not in any way harm heterosexual marriage."

When do you except a verdict?

If I had to pick a date for a lottery, I’d probably pick a date in the second half of August. But it could be earlier or it could be later.

It's assumed this case will end up before the Supreme Court. Do you think you'll have five votes there?

We’re not taking any justice for granted, and we’re not giving up on any justice. A few years before Brown against Board of Education, I think you would not have found a lot of people to believe that that decision would have come down unanimously.

Some gay rights groups have opposed your decision to fight Proposition 8 in court, arguing that an adverse Supreme Court ruling could set the movement back — not only with regard to marriage, but on adoption and employment issues, too.

The fact that we’ve brought this federal lawsuit has not in any way diminished efforts at the state level. Indeed, I bet it has actually strengthened those state-level activities. On the legislative standpoint, there’s no inhibition on the states acting. I think, were we to lose, all the Supreme Court would say is, "It’s up to the states.”

But any sort of adverse ruling could have negative effects in terms of state court cases.

It’s true that a Supreme Court decision would bind the states with regard to federal law, but that hasn’t been the way cases have been challenged in Massachusetts, in Iowa, in California before Proposition 8. They were challenged on the grounds of state constitutional law. And state courts often go beyond the kinds of protections that the federal Constitution provides.

Are you concerned by Supreme Court nominee Elena Kagan’s comment that “there is no federal constitutional right to same-sex marriage"?

There’s not a federal constitutional right to same-sex marriage until the United States Supreme Court, or at least some federal court, declares it. And that’s the process that we are going through. I would hope and I would expect that Justice Kagan — if she is confirmed, and I think she will be — would look at this objectively. And I think that anybody who looks at this issue objectively has to conclude that there’s simply no basis to discriminate against gay and lesbian couples.

We proved at trial that preventing gay and lesbian couples from marrying works severe disadvantages on them and the children that they’re raising. We also demonstrated that there is no conceivable harm to heterosexual marriage as a result of permitting gay and lesbian marriages.

So straight couples don’t have to run out and renew their vows just in case?

I don’t know any straight couple that thinks, "Gee, I want to get out of this marriage because my gay and lesbian neighbors are getting married." They may want to get out of their marriage for some other reason.

Judge Vaughn Walker is reportedly gay. Do you think that, should he rule in your favor, your opponents are likely to exploit his sexual orientation?

I don’t know what his sexual orientation is, and I do not think that is relevant. You have never had a rule or even a suggestion that African-American judges shouldn’t sit on African-American civil rights cases, that women shouldn’t sit on gender-discrimination cases. Or for that matter that white judges shouldn’t sit on African-American discrimination issues. Or that male judges shouldn’t sit on gender-discrimination issues. If you started out down that road, you wouldn’t have any judges who were able to make decisions.

Although you never know how they might try it in the media.

I would never put any tactic beyond the expectation of some of the proponents of Proposition 8. However, I am quite confidant that you are not going to hear that from the counsel representing the proponents, who are very respected, highly regarded counsel.

http://www.salon.com/news/gay_marriage/ ... position_8
BrandySpears

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby pcCoder » Jun 27, 2010 7:59 pm

Some of the proponents of Prop 8 are already expecting to lose this time and playing it up like they're the victim.
http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2010/jun/10061715.html
pcCoder

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby sys » Jun 27, 2010 8:38 pm

Meanwhile, the defense maintained that the state has a fundamental interest in the fruitful union between a man and a woman that simply does not pertain to same-sex relations.
He also argued that marriage was a public institution of key import to the stability of a society, rather than a matter of private choice.

If you aint married with children yet, you'd better get to it before we send the wedding police around. Who cares if you don't want to?
sys

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby pcCoder » Jun 28, 2010 4:04 am

I'm still trying to understand how marriage is key to the stability of a society. It sounds like a complete bullshit argument to me and seems like society would go on even if the institution of marriage as it is was completely dissolved.
pcCoder

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby blackarmada » Jun 28, 2010 4:29 am

pcCoder wrote:I'm still trying to understand how marriage is key to the stability of a society. It sounds like a complete bullshit argument to me and seems like society would go on even if the institution of marriage as it is was completely dissolved.

Went to the Gay Pride Parade today, pretty sure i'm not suddenly finding a man's ass attractive.
財也大, 產也大
後來子孫禍也大
若問此裡是如何,
子孫錢多膽也大,
天樣大事都不怕,
不喪家產不肯罢
blackarmada

Print view this post

#14  Postby Eryemil » Jun 28, 2010 5:54 am

blackarmada wrote:
pcCoder wrote:I'm still trying to understand how marriage is key to the stability of a society. It sounds like a complete bullshit argument to me and seems like society would go on even if the institution of marriage as it is was completely dissolved.

Went to the Gay Pride Parade today, pretty sure i'm not suddenly finding a man's ass attractive.

You need to squeeze the man ass first; homosexuality is not airborne.
Eryemil

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#15  Postby BrandySpears » Aug 03, 2010 11:31 pm

VERDICT WEDNESDAY AUGUST 4TH

The federal court announced today that it will release its decision in the American Foundation for Equal Right’s landmark case, Perry v. Schwarzenegger, on Wednesday. Text “EQUAL” to 69866 to get a text message with the official decision on your mobile phone the moment the court releases its decision, or sign-up for an email alert at equalrightsfoundation.org. Join AFER on its Web site to watch a live press conference with our plaintiffs and co-counsels Ted Olson and David Boies following the release of the decision. As we receive news about the details of the release, AFER will update our Facebook and Twitter profiles, along with our Web site.

http://www.equalrightsfoundation.org/ne ... -tomorrow/
BrandySpears

United States (us)
Print view this post

#16  Postby NineOneFour » Aug 04, 2010 12:41 am

BrandySpears wrote:VERDICT WEDNESDAY AUGUST 4TH

The federal court announced today that it will release its decision in the American Foundation for Equal Right’s landmark case, Perry v. Schwarzenegger, on Wednesday. Text “EQUAL” to 69866 to get a text message with the official decision on your mobile phone the moment the court releases its decision, or sign-up for an email alert at equalrightsfoundation.org. Join AFER on its Web site to watch a live press conference with our plaintiffs and co-counsels Ted Olson and David Boies following the release of the decision. As we receive news about the details of the release, AFER will update our Facebook and Twitter profiles, along with our Web site.

HOLY FUCK

And I have to be in class all day!!! :ahrr:
cascadianow.org

For help managing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), go here. I am able to manage it, and so can you.
NineOneFour

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#17  Postby hotshoe » Aug 04, 2010 1:09 am

NineOneFour wrote:

HOLY FUCK

Calm down, kiddo. You'll live. 8-)
Now, when I talked to God I knew he'd understand
He said, "Stick by my side and I'll be your guiding hand
But don't ask me what I think of you
I might not give the answer that you want me to"
hotshoe

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby NineOneFour » Aug 04, 2010 1:24 am

hotshoe wrote:
NineOneFour wrote:

HOLY FUCK

Calm down, kiddo. You'll live. 8-)

:eager:
cascadianow.org

NineOneFour

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#19  Postby crank » Aug 04, 2010 1:53 am

:thumbup:

Thanks for keeping up with this. :cheers:
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#20  Postby BrandySpears » Aug 04, 2010 2:30 am

The ruling should be published here tomorrow:
https://ecf.cand.uscourts.gov/cand/09cv2292/
BrandySpears

United States (us)