Religious outrage

Barbie, The Plastic Religion

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Religious outrage

#1  Postby Peter Brown » Sep 30, 2014 11:41 am

Published on Sep 26, 2014

"Italy’s Catholic bishops are furious about controversial artistic depictions of the popular Barbie and Ken dolls as the Virgin Mary and a crucified Jesus Christ and other saints.

Two Argentinian artists, Marianela Perelli and Pool Paolini, produced 33 dolls of various religious figures for a show named “Barbie, The Plastic Religion,” which opens in Buenos Aires on Oct. 11.

SIR, an Italian website backed by the Italian bishops conference, denounced the controversial toys in an editorial, which asks: ” What is the difference between provocation and bad taste?”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/2 ... 77646.html

If I had the money I might have bought a Ken the Mohammed Barbie, with accessorised camel, jihad explosive vest and collection of severed heads. I might not have gone as far as buying the 6 year old Barbie as his wife.
Last edited by Peter Brown on Sep 30, 2014 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Brown

Print view this post

Re: Religious outrage

#2  Postby pelfdaddy » Sep 30, 2014 11:44 am

The difference between provocation and bad taste is that the Catholic Church only engaged in about 1700 years of provocation, but have wallowed in about 1900 years of largely bad taste.
pelfdaddy

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Animavore » Sep 30, 2014 11:47 am

It's no more 'bad taste' than the tacky tat the Church merchandises. Have you ever seen a Catholic shop? Absolute rubbish those guys churn out.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#4  Postby mrjonno » Sep 30, 2014 11:53 am

Poor Jesus foreskin got about, every catholic in church had their own copy for sale
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Evolving » Sep 30, 2014 12:40 pm

Apparently Barbie has over 150 different professions; why not Mother of God Barbie? Makes sense to me.
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Calilasseia » Sep 30, 2014 12:41 pm

And of course, a collection of religiously themed Barbie dolls is far more "offensive" than child rape and institutional cover-ups thereof ...
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Peter Brown » Sep 30, 2014 3:49 pm

What got me (as mentioned) was if the Catholic shop had come up with the franchise they'd be selling the hung Ken and Barbie up the duff dolls in two shakes of a sale made sign.

A black or brown version would be worth a week of free press on Fox and Fascists or more if you can get a made in Benghazi stamped on their buttocks.
Peter Brown

Print view this post

#8  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Oct 01, 2014 1:09 am

Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#9  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 01, 2014 2:17 am

Peter Brown wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

Published on Sep 26, 2014

"Italy’s Catholic bishops are furious about controversial artistic depictions of the popular Barbie and Ken dolls as the Virgin Mary and a crucified Jesus Christ and other saints.

Two Argentinian artists, Marianela Perelli and Pool Paolini, produced 33 dolls of various religious figures for a show named “Barbie, The Plastic Religion,” which opens in Buenos Aires on Oct. 11.

SIR, an Italian website backed by the Italian bishops conference, denounced the controversial toys in an editorial, which asks: ” What is the difference between provocation and bad taste?”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/2 ... 77646.html

If I had the money I might have bought a Ken the Mohammed Barbie, with accessorised camel, jihad explosive vest and collection of severed heads. I might not have gone as far as buying the 6 year old Barbie as his wife.

Oh, this works in this topic also:

The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs