Right-wing populist FvD big winners in Dutch elections

Triumph of fear and ignorance

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Right-wing populist FvD big winners in Dutch elections

#1  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Mar 21, 2019 8:03 am

https://nltimes.nl/2019/03/20/right-wing-nationalist-fvd-big-winners-netherlands-first-exit-polls

RIGHT-WING NATIONALIST FVD BIG WINNERS IN NETHERLANDS' FIRST EXIT POLLS

The ruling coalition that forms the Cabinet in The Netherlands was projected to lose seven seats and its majority in the Eerste Kamer, the upper house of Dutch parliament. Eerste Kamer relative newcomer Forum voor Democratie (FvD), a nationalist right wing party, was projected to secure ten seats in the Dutch Senate, and left wing GroenLinks was expected to take eight seats. There are 75 seats in the chamber, with the coalition currently holding 38 for a razor thin majority.

The first exit poll in the provincial elections in The Netherlands showed that FvD was also a big winner in the three provinces where research firm Ipsos conducted its canvas of voters. The party had a strong showing in Zuid Holland, which includes the large Dutch cities of Rotterdam, Den Haag, and Leiden, where the province's voters handed a large margin of victory to the right wing nationalist party. They also performed well in Noord-Brabant and Gelderland, suggesting the nationalists will be a force to be reckoned with if the current ruling coalition wants to pass any legislation through parliament.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Right-wing populist FvD big winners in Dutch elections

#2  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 21, 2019 8:15 am

Another May fly party appealing to base instincts. They have been so many which is a problem in a true PR system.
The government is still holding a majority. They will never be given any power. Nice they took votes from the other populist parties which shows those parties are fishing in the same pond.

As many times before a strict majority in the Senate is not required. There are no party whips so senators do vote on their own.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 21, 2019 8:16 am

"Triumph of fear and ignorance" - yeah but Islam is shite though.
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#4  Postby aban57 » Mar 21, 2019 8:16 am

And yet, the Netherlands is the 4th happiest country in the world. Boggles the mind...
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 21, 2019 8:18 am

Why? It is because of that we have these votes.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Mar 21, 2019 8:29 am

aban57 wrote:And yet, the Netherlands is the 4th happiest country in the world. Boggles the mind...

That poll is highly suspect for various reasons, for instance that it does not measure people's happiness but checks various factors it has asserted determine happiness.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Mar 21, 2019 8:30 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:Another May fly party appealing to base instincts. They have been so many which is a problem in a true PR system.
The government is still holding a majority. They will never be given any power. Nice they took votes from the other populist parties which shows those parties are fishing in the same pond.

As many times before a strict majority in the Senate is not required. There are no party whips so senators do vote on their own.

They also took votes from the SP, which although it's not a party I'd vote for, means less seats for the left wing of the senate.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 21, 2019 8:57 am

You know Thomas how the Senate works. The Paarse cabinets and those from den Uil all had no majority in the Senate.
It is only a controlling chamber. It cannot introduce any legislation.
Sorry the SP did so badly but it went through its populist period as well. My party did suffer (D'66) but that is political life.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Mar 21, 2019 10:59 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:You know Thomas how the Senate works. The Paarse cabinets and those from den Uil all had no majority in the Senate.
It is only a controlling chamber. It cannot introduce any legislation.

That's what it's supposed to do, but in reality most parties treat it as a semi-secondary 2e kamer and vote on laws based on whether they're in the opposition or coalition and not on the merits of the law.
FvD has explicitly said they'll vote certain things down on principle.

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Sorry the SP did so badly but it went through its populist period as well. My party did suffer (D'66) but that is political life.

You need to read my posts carefully, I made it clear the SP is not my party.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 21, 2019 11:30 am

Please Thomas I was not saying sorry to you. SP is needed as well and far more than any May fly party.

FvD can say anything it wants but the Senate leads its own life and with 10 seats they are not in control and far from it. Ever seen solidarity in a populist party? They fall out at the first hurdle. Wilders is the only one with half a party. Well he is the party the rest dont belong to it.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 21, 2019 8:25 pm

Lets see how long they will last. No other party has said they will cooperate with them at any level.
They took 30% of their votes from Wilders who is not a happy man.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs