SA Olympian Shoots Model Girlfriend Dead

Oscar Pistorius 'shoots dead his girlfriend' at home in South Africa

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: SA Olympian Shoots Model Girlfriend Dead

#842  Postby Mike_L » Jun 23, 2016 5:42 pm

Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#843  Postby Agrippina » Jun 24, 2016 7:36 am

It is indeed. A really good summation of how reasonable people feel about the whole business.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#844  Postby Agrippina » Jul 06, 2016 7:31 am

Sentence to be handed down today.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#845  Postby Agrippina » Jul 06, 2016 9:02 am

Six years in prison.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#846  Postby Coastal » Jul 06, 2016 9:24 am

I saw one of my FB friends raging against this sentence, the idea being it is too light, but then another friend of hers just said: it's over. From some of the other comments I realised that this friend of a friend was a friend of Reeva's and is still a friend of the Steenkamps.

Just some trivial information about someone that was personally affected b this. I don't know how the Steenkamps themselves feel about it, neither do I know what I feel about it yet.
Coastal

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#847  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Jul 06, 2016 9:31 am

Agrippina wrote:Six years in prison.

A full six years or is that the maximum he could spend and he could be out much quicker if he "behaves" well?
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#848  Postby Coastal » Jul 06, 2016 9:45 am

He won't do six years, but as far as I understand he goes to actual jail now, not some other BS where he sits in his uncle's mansion.
Coastal

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#849  Postby Agrippina » Jul 06, 2016 10:39 am

He got five years for manslaughter, spent what 8 months in prison, with a private bathroom? He'll probably go back there for three months then go to work with his "pastor" teaching children how to get away with murder. :roll:
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#850  Postby Coastal » Jul 06, 2016 11:11 am

"So we could be looking at three years, or even less, before his remaining sentence could be converted to correctional supervision."

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/pistorius-likely-to-serve-less-than-6-years-in-prison-top-lawyer-20160706
Coastal

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#851  Postby Mike_L » Jul 06, 2016 11:57 am

Judge Masipa again shows her love for O.J. Pistorius!

Not often I agree with ANC utterances, but in this case the ANC Women's League is entirely correct...

6 years for Oscar Pistorius an 'insult' - ANCWL
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#852  Postby Coastal » Jul 06, 2016 12:05 pm

I dunno man, they (ANCWL) have very little credibility, even less than the 'mother body' and that is saying a lot.

Why is this about a crime against a woman? What if he had killed his gay lover? Would we have expected a harsher sentence? I seriously doubt it. Which one of the ANC institutions would then have made these public statements?
Coastal

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#853  Postby monkeyboy » Jul 06, 2016 12:25 pm

Wow! What a fucking joke. Is this sort of sentence usual in South Africa? 6 yrs for murder? Way to shit on the Steenkamps, repeatedly. I'm not feeling the justice here.
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#854  Postby Coastal » Jul 06, 2016 12:26 pm

It is considered a very light sentence.
Coastal

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#855  Postby Agrippina » Jul 06, 2016 12:55 pm

It's standard treatment for people who have privilege. If you're just an ordinary bloke, they throw away the key. 15 years for hijacking a car. A lot less for famous people who kill their partners.

I heard a strange comment today, OK the person who said it is 91. "Well she wasn't exactly innocent was she, sleeping with him without the benefit of marriage." :shock: I had to walk away after saying "I've done that a few times, noone killed me for it!"
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#856  Postby monkeyboy » Jul 06, 2016 1:42 pm

Agrippina wrote:
I heard a strange comment today, OK the person who said it is 91. "Well she wasn't exactly innocent was she, sleeping with him without the benefit of marriage." :shock: I had to walk away after saying "I've done that a few times, noone killed me for it!"

That the same logic cuts both ways. If she was no innocent, then neither was he. Makes him more of a bad guy surely.......if you're going to throw bollocks around like confetti. Never quite understood how loving someone of a consensual age in a reciprocal relationship is a bad thing, regardless of genders and marital status. Still, she is old, we know what those old folks are like, well some of them :wink:
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#857  Postby Agrippina » Jul 06, 2016 4:51 pm

monkeyboy wrote:
Agrippina wrote:

That the same logic cuts both ways. If she was no innocent, then neither was he. Makes him more of a bad guy surely.......if you're going to throw bollocks around like confetti. Never quite understood how loving someone of a consensual age in a reciprocal relationship is a bad thing, regardless of genders and marital status. Still, she is old, we know what those old folks are like, well some of them :wink:

Thanks for that. Yes, the narrow-mindedness does bug me a little. Then there are people who get that my social anxiety doesn't allow me to go to the election on my own, my DH is having surgery the week before so he won't be able to drive, let alone queue up to do the voting. So they've agreed to allow us to vote here. They're bringing the vote to us. So it gives me a little positivity about the future of humankind. Even when the judge still sees a rich white man as the "boss".
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#858  Postby Teague » Jul 21, 2016 12:58 pm

FUCK IT!
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#859  Postby Teague » Jul 21, 2016 1:06 pm

Oscar Pistorius: Appeal over 'shockingly lenient' sentence

South African prosecutors say they will appeal against Oscar Pistorius's six-year sentence for murder, calling it "shockingly too lenient".

The National Prosecuting Authority said the sentence was "disproportionate to the crime" and could bring the justice system "into disrepute".

The Olympic athlete was jailed earlier this month for murdering his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp in 2013.

He admits killing her but says he mistook her for an intruder.

The 29-year-old was initially given a five-year term for manslaughter, but was found guilty of murder on appeal last December.

So the incompetent moron who fucked it up the first time fucked it up a second time. Is she fucking stupid or is there something else going on here? I hope the appeal judges who have to step in and teach this idiot how it's done sack her and give an appropriate sentence. I've no love for Pistorius but she's fucking this up or maybe she's just trolling him.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#860  Postby Teague » Jul 21, 2016 1:11 pm

However, Masipa was at pains to insist Pistorius's crime could not be considered as gender-based because, in the view of the High Court, he did not know it was Steenkamp when he opened fire.

The sentence was based on the judgment that the athlete thought there was an intruder in his house on the night of Steenkamp's death, says the BBC, something he maintained throughout the trial.

http://www.theweek.co.uk/oscar-pistorius/53387/oscar-pistorius-got-off-lightly-with-six-year-sentence

Yes and the judge here already fucked up on the law. Exceptional circumstances for a lighter sentence do not mean exceptional in the case you don't know what your fucking job is! He was found guilty of murder it didn't matter who the fuck was behind the door, he was found guilty because he knew firing had a great chance of killing someone. If it had been an intruder, it would still have been murder fuckface!!

Oh dear god she's fucking dumb.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs