Should incels become the new 'protected' species?

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Should incels become the new 'protected' species?

#181  Postby Hermit » Jun 01, 2018 8:59 am

Fallible wrote:
Sarah's party wrote:actually no, because if you go to a poor country, looks aren't so important, but money is - so can't you see the connection here?

How do you account for the women whose parters has fuck-all when they got together?

If money and status mattered I would have been an incel until I was 35. Or longer. Until then I led a hand to mouth existence. No status to speak of right up to today unless the transition from surf bum to truck driver constitutes a rise in status.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#182  Postby OlivierK » Jun 01, 2018 12:10 pm

Sarah's party wrote:manogyny

:rofl:

Priceless.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#183  Postby Matt_B » Jun 01, 2018 12:27 pm

OlivierK wrote:

Priceless.

Is that meant to be mahogany or misandry? I know they're both reprehensible but for entirely different reasons. :lol:
"Last night was the most horrific for Kyiv since, just imagine, 1941 when it was attacked by Nazis."
- Sergiy Kyslytsya
Matt_B

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#184  Postby Fallible » Jun 01, 2018 12:28 pm

It’s a hatred of men made out of mahogany.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#185  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jun 01, 2018 12:38 pm

Sarah's party wrote:
BWE wrote:
What is being condemned in the case of incels as those who self-identify as such have defined their beliefs, is misogyny, plain and simple. Men do not have the right to control women. Some people have better luck than others at all pursuits. That does not change the fact that misogyny is unacceptable anywhere.

what about manogyny, a lot of fems think that's ok - hypocrisy much?

Since you find yourself making up words like "manogyny" (the word is misandry, btw), I suspect you're also making up your assertion that "a lot of fems think that's ok" as well. But even if it were true, that wouldn't make it actually OK or hypocritical for all the people who think neither is OK, which I suspect is most everyone here.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#186  Postby felltoearth » Jun 01, 2018 12:50 pm

Sarah's party wrote:
BWE wrote:
Sarah's party wrote:
What is being condemned in the case of incels as those who self-identify as such have defined their beliefs, is misogyny, plain and simple. Men do not have the right to control women. Some people have better luck than others at all pursuits. That does not change the fact that misogyny is unacceptable anywhere.

what about manogyny, a lot of fems think that's ok - hypocrisy much?

Total non-sequitur and whataboutism. We’re discussing male incels here.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#187  Postby purplerat » Jun 01, 2018 9:30 pm

SevenZarkSeven wrote:
purplerat wrote:
SevenZarkSeven wrote:
purplerat wrote:
I guess I gave you too much credit in assuming you weren't just blatantly asking a loaded question by trying to answer with some nuance.

I'm just trying to see how silly this is going to get.

How is it silly? There are many ideologies which only exists at the radical extremes and very often do espouse violent means. I don't think it's funny at all and I think those considering the Incel mentality should really look at groups like Neo-Nazis, Islamic fundamentalists, etc. and consider if that's where they really want to go with their warped world view.

Is 'Incel' an ideology? Not sure about that one. What I'm pretty sure of is that if young men participate in their societies and democracies then they won't bring them down. But maybe you're right and we should continue to alienate them so we can blow their asses straight to hell when they act out.

Well here you go, an Incel running for office.

This makes for a lovely campaign slogan:
“Don’t forget: feminism is the problem, and rape is the solution.”
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#188  Postby The_Piper » Jun 01, 2018 9:50 pm

Jesus. The truth is stranger than fiction, example # 38,000,001,102.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#189  Postby laklak » Jun 02, 2018 1:41 am

Jesus fucking Christ.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#190  Postby Spinozasgalt » Jun 02, 2018 3:20 am

The thread's moved on a bit since I've been away, so I won't do a big thick post. But just wanted to thank Thommo for his reply and add my bit to this.
Thommo wrote:
Spinozasgalt wrote:And fair point about sex workers, I'm just going on what the ones I've heard from in a mostly North American/Canadian context have said and how they've described their clients and situations.

Interesting, thanks.

I'm surprised though, perhaps I'm naive about how many "ordinary" men visit prostitutes. The type of prostitute who is coerced by a pimp, walks the streets, is trafficked in essential slavery, is feeding a drug addiction or some combination of all of those things is frequently talked about in the media, and I had thought were among the most common types. I've had a very different, quite unpleasant, impression of the sort of men who visit these women.

Edit: read some articles about why men use prostitutes this evening, these were the better-seeming ones:
https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... rostitutes
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/relatio ... g-for-sex/
https://www.mentalhelp.net/blogs/why-do ... ostitutes/

See, because the OP was originally talking about legalising and regulating sex work, I assumed that there'd be an attempt in there precisely to eliminate those sorts of situations. If not, then we've got a good reason to object to the proposal already: it legalises this sort of abuse. But if sex workers did operate independently (with other forms of support), as those I've heard from, then refusal of certain clients would be a norm of the profession as it is for those I've heard from who operate independently in this way.

Does that explain where my thinking was? I don't know, I've lost track of exactly where I was because I couldn't reply earlier. But hopefully that explains what I was trying to pre-empt.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#191  Postby Thommo » Jun 02, 2018 1:27 pm

Spinozasgalt wrote:Does that explain where my thinking was? I don't know, I've lost track of exactly where I was because I couldn't reply earlier. But hopefully that explains what I was trying to pre-empt.

Yes, I think it does, thank you.

There are some questions raised about how effective legalising prostitution would be at protecting women if those men who have the most abusive, most negative attitudes were isolated to a grey market though.

The link someone provided to an example of an incel forum was illuminating as well. What struck me (other than the rampant misogyny suffusing almost every post) was the clear indication that the majority of its members were not in fact involuntarily celibate, and there was even a thread questioning the presence of so many people who didn't identify as incel.
Thommo

Print view this post

#192  Postby Cito di Pense » Jun 02, 2018 1:39 pm

Thommo wrote:What struck me (other than the rampant misogyny suffusing almost every post) was the clear indication that the majority of its members were not in fact involuntarily celibate, and there was even a thread questioning the presence of so many people who didn't identify as incel.

Surely it is not a revelation to you that the internet is a tool for expressing hatred against those with whom one doesn't care to or is afraid to engage, in a way similar to how firearm is an instrument for implementing violence when one doesn't care to engage.

Add to that the struggles that someone seems to be having with other people's identities, and you can see yet another way to drive oneself nuts. You know what they say: Hatred is not the opposite of love.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#193  Postby BWE » Jun 03, 2018 4:06 am

Matt_B wrote:
OlivierK wrote:

Priceless.

Is that meant to be mahogany or misandry? I know they're both reprehensible but for entirely different reasons. :lol:

Manogyny is female masturbation , right?
BWE

Print view this post

#194  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 03, 2018 7:12 am

OlivierK wrote:

Priceless.

"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#195  Postby Sarah's party » Jun 03, 2018 11:33 am

Fallible wrote:
Sarah's party wrote:

How do you account for the women whose parters has fuck-all when they got together?

they were half decent looking at least
Check out my real 100% free speech site!

http://et
Sarah's party
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#196  Postby Fallible » Jun 03, 2018 11:36 am

Thanks for that total non-sequitur.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#197  Postby Sarah's party » Jun 03, 2018 11:37 am

BWE wrote:

it's actually Irish for male from the country Guinea-Bissau

Sarah's party
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#198  Postby Sarah's party » Jun 03, 2018 11:41 am

Cito di Pense wrote: You know what they say: Hatred is not the opposite of love.

hey, that's a bit Hannah Arendt - you must be a clever guy!

though she was more like saying, 'violence is the opposite of power' - similar enough though, lol

Sarah's party
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#199  Postby SevenZarkSeven » Jun 04, 2018 5:00 am

Fallible wrote:
Sarah's party wrote:actually no, because if you go to a poor country, looks aren't so important, but money is - so can't you see the connection here?

Without wanting to suggest what individual women may or may not prefer it is my understanding that is quite common for women to settle with men who have the skills and potential to accumulate wealth and resources, not necessarily those who already have done so. That seems to make sense, particularly as anecdotally speaking the older, more seasoned ladies I know who have older partners actually did settle with an established gentleman, suggesting that they wanted the finished article.
The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women
SevenZarkSeven

Name: The Best Women
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#200  Postby SevenZarkSeven » Jun 04, 2018 5:03 am

purplerat wrote:
SevenZarkSeven wrote:
purplerat wrote:
SevenZarkSeven wrote:

I'm just trying to see how silly this is going to get.

How is it silly? There are many ideologies which only exists at the radical extremes and very often do espouse violent means. I don't think it's funny at all and I think those considering the Incel mentality should really look at groups like Neo-Nazis, Islamic fundamentalists, etc. and consider if that's where they really want to go with their warped world view.

Is 'Incel' an ideology? Not sure about that one. What I'm pretty sure of is that if young men participate in their societies and democracies then they won't bring them down. But maybe you're right and we should continue to alienate them so we can blow their asses straight to hell when they act out.

Well here you go, an Incel running for office.

This makes for a lovely campaign slogan:
“Don’t forget: feminism is the problem, and rape is the solution.”

Probably shouldn't vote for him.
The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women
SevenZarkSeven

Name: The Best Women
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs