Soldier beheaded in Woolwich, London

BBC says confirmed terror attack

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Soldier beheaded in Woolwich, London

#341  Postby mrjonno » May 26, 2013 10:04 am

NineBerry wrote:Muslim bigot or antimuslim bigot? As if there is any difference.. ;-)

Yes only one can bring down liberal democracy and it sure isnt bigotry from the to 1-5% of the population of European countries that are muslims
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#342  Postby NineBerry » May 26, 2013 10:16 am

There's also liberal democracy or a hope for liberal democracy in majority Muslim countries...
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#343  Postby mrjonno » May 26, 2013 10:25 am

NineBerry wrote:There's also liberal democracy or a hope for liberal democracy in majority Muslim countries...

That's many generations off unfortunately, democracy is extremely strained anywhere where a lot of the population are religious
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#344  Postby monkeyboy » May 26, 2013 10:26 am

Sorry, should have said, the occasion I referred to was one of an anti Muslim bigot. I'm not sure it would have made much difference.
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#345  Postby johnbrandt » May 26, 2013 10:47 am

Islam is a small minority of the population...but a minority who are extremely vocal, and push hard to ensure they are well protected by laws that a gullible government puts in place for them to protect their fragile little religious sensibilities and beliefs from any and all criticism...not to mention a basic philosophy that our culture has to change to suit them, rather than the other way around like every other wave of immigrants in the past who did their best to adapt and fit in...

Amazingly, Russia's Vladimir Putin is the only leader who seems willing to come out and basically say "fit in and respect our laws"...
"We must create the conditions for immigrants to normally integrate into our society, learn Russian and, of course, respect our culture and traditions and abide by Russian law. In this regard, I believe that the decision to make learning the Russian language compulsory and administer exams is well grounded. To do so, we will need to carry out major organisational work and introduce corresponding legislative amendments."

This is the actual speech he made...there's a fake one, much longer, getting around where he says if you want to live under Sharia law, go to a country where that is the norm.
He mightn't have actually said that part...but he should have...
"One could spend their life looking for the perfect cherry blossom...and it would not be a wasted life"
johnbrandt

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#346  Postby mrjonno » May 26, 2013 10:56 am

Hmm Russia which even with its current borders is a large empire which ethnic groups conquered other ethnic groups expecting everyone to speak the same language is a bit much
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#347  Postby DougC » May 26, 2013 10:58 am

Meanwhile.
"Knife attack on soldier in Paris treated as terrorism" - B.B.C.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22670697
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#348  Postby NineBerry » May 26, 2013 11:01 am

johnbrandt wrote:Islam is a small minority of the population...but a minority who are extremely vocal, and push hard to ensure they are well protected by laws that a gullible government puts in place for them to protect their fragile little religious sensibilities and beliefs from any and all criticism...not to mention a basic philosophy that our culture has to change to suit them, rather than the other way around like every other wave of immigrants in the past who did their best to adapt and fit in...

Young people are a small minority of the population...but a minority who are extremely vocal, and push hard to ensure they are well protected by laws that a gullible government puts in place for them to protect their fragile little revolutionary sensibilities and beliefs from any and all criticism...not to mention a basic philosophy that our culture has to change to suit them, rather than the other way around like every other generation in the past who did their best to adapt and fit in...

Like that you mean?
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#349  Postby NineBerry » May 26, 2013 11:04 am

Russia where homosexuals are repressed because they don't want to "respect culture and traditions" and refuse to "Integrate into society"?
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#350  Postby the_5th_ape » May 26, 2013 3:51 pm

How MI5 blackmails British Muslims: ''Work for us or we will say you are a terrorist'

Five Muslim community workers have accused MI5 of waging a campaign of blackmail and harassment in an attempt to recruit them as informants.

The men claim they were given a choice of working for the Security Service or face detention and harassment in the UK and overseas.

They have made official complaints to the police, to the body which oversees the work of the Security Service and to their local MP Frank Dobson. Now they have decided to speak publicly about their experiences in the hope that publicity will stop similar tactics being used in the future.
Thanking God for sparing you in a natural disaster is like
sending a thank-you note to a serial killer for stabbing the family next door

Question: If you could live forever, would you and why? Best Answer
the_5th_ape

Male

Print view this post

#351  Postby mrjonno » May 26, 2013 4:20 pm

Why can't people just accept if someone wants to go up to some in the middle of a city and murder them then there is absolutely nothing that can be realistically be done.

Sure you might be able intercept a planned bombing if it involves lots of people but you are never going to be stop a loony running over someone and stabbing them to death with no interest in being able to get away with it
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#352  Postby Varangian » May 26, 2013 4:45 pm

If he had driven a tank, it would never have happened.

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#353  Postby mrjonno » May 26, 2013 5:21 pm

Varangian wrote:If he had driven a tank, it would never have happened.

Limited visibility and not being in a warzone I'm sure it wouldnt have been too hard to do some damage to the tank, in fact just grab a soldier not in a tank and stick him in front of the tank and squashed soldier
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#354  Postby the_5th_ape » May 26, 2013 6:42 pm

Man Stabbed Near Site Of Woolwich Murder
http://news.sky.com/story/1095844/man-s ... ich-murder

Woolwich murder probe: suspect Michael Adebolajo held in Kenya in 2010
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22673164
Thanking God for sparing you in a natural disaster is like
sending a thank-you note to a serial killer for stabbing the family next door

Question: If you could live forever, would you and why? Best Answer
the_5th_ape

Male

Print view this post

#355  Postby PCS » May 26, 2013 7:01 pm

mrjonno wrote:
chairman bill wrote:
paret0 wrote:I'd wager that whole sentry platoon is still getting smoked right now because they didn't see it.

The RA/RHA sentries would be patrolling behind big fuck-off walls, or at the entrance gates. The attack didn't take place outside any of the gates, and not being blessed with the ability to see through walls (they'd be working for the SRR or the intelligence services if they could), I'm not sure how else they'd have known about it at the time. So, I expect they're royally fucked off, but no one is giving them a beasting over it.

A peace time army barracks in a city isnt even particularly secure anyway, its not really designed to prevent any sort of significant armed attack its main job is to give soldiers somewhere to sleep and to make sure no one breaks into to nick anything.

That's what I was thinking...

In the Massereene Barracks shooting in 2009 two Real IRA members did walk up to the doors where Patrick Azimkar and Mark Quinsey were collecting their pizzas unarmed. Real IRA fired over 60 shots in about 30 seconds killing the two soldiers and wounding two other soldiers and pizza delivery guys. Patrick, Mark and other security had no time to react; this is Northern Ireland which is arguably less safe than London for British soldiers so I wouldn't be surprised if the security in these Barracks in London were to be minimal and the outcome of these events similar had they occurred straight outside the main doors.
“Last words are for those fools who believe they have not yet said enough...” Last words of Karl Marx
PCS

Name: Patrick
Male

Print view this post

#356  Postby pensioner » May 26, 2013 8:04 pm

I live 200 yards from the only mosque in York which has been targeted and vandalised by racist shits in the past. Us on the left found out that the English Defence League (racist bastards) were going to picket the mosque today for obvious reasons. Myself and two of my sons joined a picket line to defend the Muslims against the racists scum.

A few of the bastards did turn up but they were outnumbered ten to one and they runaway. This is a photo I took.

There’s class warfare, all right,” said US billionaire Warren Buffett a few years ago, “but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning.
pensioner

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#357  Postby sandinista » May 26, 2013 8:05 pm

mrjonno wrote:
NineBerry wrote:There's also liberal democracy or a hope for liberal democracy in majority Muslim countries...

That's many generations off unfortunately, democracy is extremely strained anywhere where a lot of the population are religious

"liberal democracy" is just another term for capitalism, has nothing to do with "democracy". The only people that want a liberal democracy are the rich and the naive.
Our struggle is not against actual corrupt individuals, but against those in power in general, against their authority, against the global order and the ideological mystification which sustains it.
sandinista

Print view this post

#358  Postby virphen » May 26, 2013 8:11 pm

pensioner wrote:I live 200 yards from the only mosque in York which has been targeted and vandalised by racist shits in the past. Us on the left found out that the English Defence League (racist bastards) were going to picket the mosque today for obvious reasons. Myself and two of my sons joined a picket line to defend the Muslims against the racists scum.

A few of the bastards did turn up but they were outnumbered ten to one and they runaway. This is a photo I took.

Good job!
virphen

Male

Print view this post

#359  Postby Scarlett » May 26, 2013 8:12 pm

virphen wrote:
pensioner wrote:I live 200 yards from the only mosque in York which has been targeted and vandalised by racist shits in the past. Us on the left found out that the English Defence League (racist bastards) were going to picket the mosque today for obvious reasons. Myself and two of my sons joined a picket line to defend the Muslims against the racists scum.

Good job!

Yea, I was just about to say 'Nice one ol' fella :thumbup: '
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#360  Postby NineBerry » May 26, 2013 9:07 pm

pensioner wrote:
A few of the bastards did turn up but they were outnumbered ten to one and they runaway.

:thumbup:
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs