SWAGLESS Toronto Mayor Rob Ford caught smoking crack

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: SWAGLESS Toronto Mayor Rob Ford caught smoking crack

#581  Postby felltoearth » Mar 20, 2016 7:47 pm

Indeed. He's an imbecile, but this sounds brutal. He's also highly irresponsible. I can't believe he hasn't resigned his councilor post. He clearly can't do the job.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#582  Postby Onyx8 » Mar 21, 2016 5:28 pm

A cunt right to the bitter end.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#583  Postby Matt8819 » Mar 22, 2016 3:32 pm

Matt8819
RS Donator

Name: Matt
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#584  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Mar 22, 2016 3:47 pm

Yes, Canada's favourite crack smoking, pussy eating mayor is dead.

What an awful way to go. I hope his family is well.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#585  Postby THWOTH » Mar 22, 2016 4:24 pm

My mum always said "Never speak ill of the dead," so I won't.

:coffee:
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#586  Postby Shrunk » Mar 22, 2016 5:06 pm

https://nowtoronto.com/news/rob-ford-dies-at-age-46/

City council will have to declare Ford's seat vacant at one of its next two meetings (March 30-31 or May 3-4). It will then have 60 days to either call a by-election or appoint someone to take his place.

Hopefully his aspirations to lead the federal Conservatives will mean Doug takes a pass on this.

Councillor Ford's final meeting at City Hall was a January 4 gathering of the Government Management Committee. The minutes record him as the lone dissenter on votes pertaining to the redevelopment of St. Lawrence Market North and the revitalization of Union Station.

A fitting legacy.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#587  Postby Macdoc » Mar 22, 2016 6:02 pm

Good riddance. :nono:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#588  Postby Skinny Puppy » Mar 22, 2016 6:44 pm

Macdoc wrote:Good riddance. :nono:

This coincided with the release of two new books about Ford, including one by Mark Towhey, a former chief of staff, which recalled a phone call to Towhey in which Ford talked about "putting three bullets" in his wife Renata's head.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/rob-ford-1.3489457
Skinny Puppy

Name: Sherlock Jeffrey Puppy
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#589  Postby Shrunk » Mar 23, 2016 1:17 pm

I get the idea of not speaking ill of the recently deceased and all that. But that shouldn't be a license to out and out lie about a person's deeds during his life. The Sun's Sue-Ann Levy, one of Ford's most loyal right-wing media suck ups, pulls out some whoppers:

When as mayor he refused to give funding to the Pride parade, it was not because he was homophobic, as many in the gay community insisted.

It was because he saw how Pride officials had allowed the toxic Queers Against Israeli Apartheid to infiltrate the parade.

For Ford, the funding was there for the taking, but not if hate was part of a public parade.

Wrong. The guy pointedly refused to attend any Gay Pride events, and tried to stop the Pride flag from being flown over City Hall. Israel had nothing to do with that.

I won’t dwell on his crack and alcohol addictions and the unfortunate things he said and did while under the influence.

Far too much vitriol, elsewhere, has been expended on that.

I didn’t condone his drug and alcohol-fuelled behaviour.

But let’s be clear: What he did only hurt himself.

Why was he judged so harshly when so many other politicians, past and present, received a free pass for their addictions?

Because he for too long refused to take the actions necessary to address them, and hurt the city in the process.

I also understand what may have driven those hidden addictions to come to light.

Who among us, under the microscope of persistent harassment and frivolous court cases, might not have increasingly fallen back on some sort of vice, or dependency.

Ah, right. It's all "the Left's" fault that he did crack. Tell me that one about personal responsibility again?

We won't even bother asking for an explanation of how "respect for tax payers" involves keeping people on a public salary to help run his football team and pick up sandwiches for his daughter. Or what he was doing skulking around gas stations and wooded areas with shady individuals during what were supposed to be working hours. Although we do know he at least put in some late nights at his City Hall office.

I don't even want to see what Joe Warmington must be writing....
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#590  Postby Skinny Puppy » Mar 23, 2016 3:28 pm

When I was young my mom said: “Never speak ill of the dead!”

To which I replied: “Okay, Hitler was a really nice man!” (I was being facetious.)

She said: “You’re being silly!”

I then asked at which point should we not speak ill of the dead. Is there a line that a person must cross before we stop the silly niceties and faux-praises?

Basically, if you’re an asshole in life, your death doesn’t change that fact... you’re still an asshole, only a dead one.

According to the UN roughly 18,000 kiddies die of hunger every day. No one seems to give a shit and you have to search to even know about it. It’s not in the news and most people probably don’t even know that it happens. Yet many mourn with the multi-millionaire Fords over the loss of someone whose track record is an abomination, not just to Toronto, but to Canada as well.

Personally, I couldn’t give a Kentucky fuck.
Skinny Puppy

Name: Sherlock Jeffrey Puppy
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#591  Postby Shrunk » Mar 23, 2016 4:20 pm

The Torontoist has what it calls an "honest assessment", and they're right:

In that, and in so many other things, Ford harmed Toronto greatly, and not in the sense that our public image was diminished. Outside of Toronto he was only ever an amusing curiosity, fodder for the rest of the Toronto-hating country to make jokes, and for Americans to gawk a little in between late-night talk show jabs. But Toronto is still the same large, slightly underrated city it has always been in the eyes of the rest of the world, when they bother to think about us. No, Ford’s impact was on our local politics, and it was for the worse. Our transit politics have been poisoned by the framing Ford relentlessly pushed on transit—he argued for subways in terms of moral entitlement, of people underserved by public transit “deserving” a subway irrespective of the actual need for one in those areas. His advocacy for fiscal conservatism—in a city with some of the lowest property taxes in the province, and which multiple auditors have stated runs reasonably efficiently—likewise sees us to a point where raising property taxes to the levels needed simply cannot be considered. And, of course, he gave bigots in this city a voice they did not merit.

And if there is a final tragedy of Rob Ford, it is this: he was had so much opportunity to really help people, and so much desire to help them. And because of who he was, he failed.

Meanwhile, I couldn't help myself: I looked at what Joe Warmington had to say. Big mistake.

Who will stand up and say no to fleecing the taxpayer in the future?

Congratulations. You won. Thanks to cancer, you beat him.

Robert Bruce Ford is gone, so there’s no one left to protect the public purse.

:puke:
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#592  Postby Shrunk » Mar 23, 2016 4:21 pm

<double post>
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#593  Postby Ironclad » Mar 24, 2016 9:18 am

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:Yes, Canada's favourite crack smoking, pussy eating mayor is dead.

What an awful way to go. I hope his family is well.

Rachael! :o
Go wash your mouth out!
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#594  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Mar 24, 2016 9:23 am

What for? He's the one who said he had "more than enough [pussy] to eat at home".
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#595  Postby felltoearth » Mar 24, 2016 3:46 pm

Shrunk wrote:
Meanwhile, I couldn't help myself: I looked at what Joe Warmington had to say. Big mistake.

Who will stand up and say no to fleecing the taxpayer in the future?

Congratulations. You won. Thanks to cancer, you beat him.

Robert Bruce Ford is gone, so there’s no one left to protect the public purse.

:puke:

I will have more to say in the days ahead. For now, I will say the organized campaign to bring down Rob Ford was a disgusting witch hunt. The safe injection site supporters with so much compassion for people battling drug problems showed him none. In fact, they tried to turn his problems into anchors to drag him down.

I like this sort of logic – safe injection site user = Entitled Mayor of Toronto. There's a major difference these delusional people fail to understand.

"Joe, can you please release your lips from around Rob's sphincter so we can prep him for the funeral?"
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#596  Postby Shrunk » Mar 24, 2016 3:54 pm

He really is a sorry excuse for a journalist. Here's another column where he complains of a double standard in how Liberal MP Seamus O'Regan was treated when he announced he was entering treatment for alcohol addition.

I guess you have to feel a bit sorry for Joe. He's just lost his meal ticket. Who's going to care what he has to write if it's not some exclusive directly from the mouth of Rob Ford?
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#597  Postby Shrunk » Mar 24, 2016 4:03 pm

The other false narrative that keeps getting repeated is that Ford was doing a good job as mayor until his personal addictions did him in. Here is an article that describes the train wreck that was his mayoralty, which was written well before the crack video emerged:

http://torontolife.com/city/toronto-pol ... alty-ever/

The point about his "Conservative backers" getting nervous is an interesting one. I think Ford played no small role in the eventual defeat of the federal Conservatives, which was largely based on the Liberals sweeping Toronto and the surrounding areas.
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#598  Postby felltoearth » Mar 24, 2016 4:24 pm

The conservative rally with the Fords during the campaign was a real turning point IMO
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#599  Postby Shrunk » Mar 24, 2016 4:25 pm

felltoearth wrote:The conservative rally with the Fords during the campaign was a real turning point IMO

Either that, or it was the moment when we knew Harper had thrown in the towel.
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#600  Postby Shrunk » Mar 28, 2016 8:44 pm

Poor Doug . Look how inconsolable he is in his grief today, as his brother's body lies in repose:

Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs