Swedes depart church in droves

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Swedes depart church in droves

#1  Postby Dracena » May 27, 2010 2:22 pm

Swedes continue to turn their backs on the Church of Sweden with new figures indicating that the longer term fall in members has now started to hit baptisms and weddings.
The Church of Sweden has experience a steep and continual decline in the number of confirmations, worshippers and members since 2004, but until now baptisms and weddings have helped to boost church attendance figures, and revenues.

"We have left the homogeneous society," said Jonas Bromander at the Church of Sweden to the newspaper.

The church was long the venue of choice for Swedish wedding couples but the figures, presented in the church newspaper Kyrkans Tidning, show that the proportion of weddings performed by the Church of Sweden has now fallen from 53.9 to 40.9 percent from 2004 to 2009.
Even baptisms, long a popular symbolic gesture of church membership among Swedes, have also declined dramatically in popularity, dropping from 68 to 56 percent over the five year period.(...)

source
Dracena

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: Swedes depart church in droves

#2  Postby Tbickle » May 27, 2010 2:26 pm

Dracena wrote:
Swedes continue to turn their backs on the Church of Sweden with new figures indicating that the longer term fall in members has now started to hit baptisms and weddings.
The Church of Sweden has experience a steep and continual decline in the number of confirmations, worshippers and members since 2004, but until now baptisms and weddings have helped to boost church attendance figures, and revenues.

"We have left the homogeneous society," said Jonas Bromander at the Church of Sweden to the newspaper.

The church was long the venue of choice for Swedish wedding couples but the figures, presented in the church newspaper Kyrkans Tidning, show that the proportion of weddings performed by the Church of Sweden has now fallen from 53.9 to 40.9 percent from 2004 to 2009.
Even baptisms, long a popular symbolic gesture of church membership among Swedes, have also declined dramatically in popularity, dropping from 68 to 56 percent over the five year period.(...)

source

:thumbup:

First Sweden, then...THE WORLD!! :lol:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
-Thomas Paine
Tbickle

Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Print view this post

#3  Postby trubble76 » May 27, 2010 2:44 pm

Way to go swedies!! Lead the way. :grin:
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby mrjonno » May 27, 2010 2:46 pm

40% of Swedes still get married in church really suprised its that high, anyone know the figures in the UK?
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby NineOneFour » May 28, 2010 12:13 am

mrjonno wrote:40% of Swedes still get married in church really suprised its that high, anyone know the figures in the UK?

I bet it's 90% in the US.
Citizen of the (future) People's Social Democratic Republic of Cascadia.
cascadianow.org

For help managing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), go here. I am able to manage it, and so can you.
NineOneFour

Name: Yes, I'm an asshole.
Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#6  Postby akigr8 » May 28, 2010 12:31 am

Heja Sverige! :dance:
I once applied for a job as a mustard cutter.

But unfortunately I wasn’t quite good enough.
akigr8

Name: Kim

Print view this post

#7  Postby james1v » May 28, 2010 12:50 am

The best place to get "married" is and always has been, in the mind. You do not need a building to do it in, you do not need a state or priest to legitimise your promises, you just need an honest mind, the perfect arena. :cheers:
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Dracena » May 28, 2010 1:14 am

james1v wrote:The best place to get "married" is and always has been, in the mind. You do not need a building to do it in, you do not need a state or priest to legitimise your promises, you just need an honest mind, the perfect arena. :cheers:

So true and beautifully put james :)
Dracena

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Luis Dias » May 28, 2010 1:38 am

Dracena wrote:
james1v wrote:The best place to get "married" is and always has been, in the mind. You do not need a building to do it in, you do not need a state or priest to legitimise your promises, you just need an honest mind, the perfect arena. :cheers:

Not really. A ritual is always a good thing to have, and a church is usually (at least in europe) a beautiful place to do it.

People marry there just for social and aesthetical reasons nowadays... and the priests know it.
Luis Dias

Male

Portugal (pt)
Print view this post

#10  Postby MoonLit » May 28, 2010 1:50 am

Luis Dias wrote:
Dracena wrote:

Not really. A ritual is always a good thing to have, and a church is usually (at least in europe) a beautiful place to do it.

People marry there just for social and aesthetical reasons nowadays... and the priests know it.

Plenty of Priests are also finally realizing that more and more people are going to the court house to get a legal married, not the church. :grin:
Image Image Image Image
Click the eggs please!
MoonLit
RS Donator

Name: Andi
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby mrjonno » May 28, 2010 6:33 am

Luis Dias wrote:
Dracena wrote:

Plenty of other options these days, castles, old Stately Homes, football grounds
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby angelo » May 28, 2010 11:49 am

More people now days don't even bother to get married. Almost all Western nations give de-facto relationships the same rights as married people, so why bother.
angelo

Name: angelo barbato
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#13  Postby NineOneFour » May 28, 2010 12:04 pm

mrjonno wrote:
Luis Dias wrote:
Dracena wrote:

Plenty of other options these days, castles, old Stately Homes, football grounds

Local events centers... :grin:
cascadianow.org

For help managing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), go here. I am able to manage it, and so can you.
NineOneFour

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#14  Postby NineOneFour » May 28, 2010 12:05 pm

angelo wrote:More people now days don't even bother to get married. Almost all Western nations give de-facto relationships the same rights as married people, so why bother.

Well, it does give one a certain status still, in Western culture, and in the US especially.

It also immediately says "hands off", this is my mate, although there are still people who don't care about that.

And, tax benefits.

Most importantly, and this is illogical on my part, it proclaims to the world, I love this person.
cascadianow.org

NineOneFour

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#15  Postby mrjonno » May 28, 2010 1:05 pm

NineOneFour wrote:
angelo wrote:More people now days don't even bother to get married. Almost all Western nations give de-facto relationships the same rights as married people, so why bother.

Well, it does give one a certain status still, in Western culture, and in the US especially.

It also immediately says "hands off", this is my mate, although there are still people who don't care about that.

And, tax benefits.

Most importantly, and this is illogical on my part, it proclaims to the world, I love this person.

There is almost no tax benefits to getting married in the UK, if you are claiming benefits you can actually be worse of. What it does help on is various legal situations ie sharing of wealth when one person becomes dependent on the other, children, wills, hospital visting rights.
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 28, 2010 1:11 pm

mrjonno wrote:40% of Swedes still get married in church really suprised its that high, anyone know the figures in the UK?

Here church marriages are illegal. Everyone has to marry at the town hall or a designated spot but it is never a church.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#17  Postby I'm With Stupid » May 28, 2010 1:19 pm

You do wonder how much of an affect the rise of secularism in the past few years has had on it. Because that's a hell of a drop in just 5 years.

But the fact remains that as long as the church owns a lot of nice buildings, people will want to get married in them. And I suspect that religious people and people who are big on tradition (and therefore may get married in a church even if they're not particularly religious) are more likely to get married anyway. I think the real measure will actually be on funerals (though it will take longer to see the affect of that, for obvious reasons), because that is more about respecting a person's character and beliefs than having a nice set of photos to show the family. But of all the weddings I've been invited to in the past couple of years, one was in a stately home, one was in a mill, one was in a hotel, and one is in Italy (I don't know where, but I know it's not a church - can't go to that one - gutted).
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 28, 2010 1:32 pm

I'm With Stupid wrote:You do wonder how much of an affect the rise of secularism in the past few years has had on it. Because that's a hell of a drop in just 5 years.

But the fact remains that as long as the church owns a lot of nice buildings, people will want to get married in them. And I suspect that religious people and people who are big on tradition (and therefore may get married in a church even if they're not particularly religious) are more likely to get married anyway. I think the real measure will actually be on funerals (though it will take longer to see the affect of that, for obvious reasons), because that is more about respecting a person's character and beliefs than having a nice set of photos to show the family. But of all the weddings I've been invited to in the past couple of years, one was in a stately home, one was in a mill, one was in a hotel, and one is in Italy (I don't know where, but I know it's not a church - can't go to that one - gutted).

Plenty of people are married in church for the show and are not religious. Very few funerals have anything to do with a church. All cementries here have a place of rest where the ceromony can be carried. Nothing religious unless you want it.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#19  Postby mrjonno » May 28, 2010 1:38 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:

Here church marriages are illegal. Everyone has to marry at the town hall or a designated spot but it is never a church.

I have to admit that sounds a little strange, even if a marriage has nothing to do with religion I don't see why should be prevented from marrying in a nice old building that happens to have people praying it occassionaly. Is this something particuarly Dutch?. Don't know too much about Dutch history but I remember something in about it in Ayaan Hirsi Ali Infidel book, that the Dutch has some strict rules about religion due to previous conflicts
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Hugin » May 28, 2010 1:49 pm

I must admit that I've not left the church yet... :oops:

On the other hand, I never asked to join it in the first place :scratch:
"If there were an Economist's Creed, it would surely contain the affirmations 'I understand the Principle of Comparative Advantage' and 'I advocate Free Trade'." - Paul Krugman
Hugin
Banned User

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Next

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs