Territorial conflict in Middle East and elsewhere

Split from Donald Trump Watch

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Territorial conflict in Middle East and elsewhere

#1  Postby WayOfTheDodo » Dec 07, 2017 7:53 pm

Rumraket wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:Not content with the inital signal, Trump sets yet more fire to the kindling:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/dec/06/trump-recognise-jerusalem-israel-capital-move-us-embassy-white-house

Donald Trump to recognise Jerusalem as Israel's capital and move US embassy

Officials confirm that US president will break with decades of diplomacy in a move many warn will trigger unrest in the region
Donald Trump will declare formal recognition of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel on Wednesday, the White House has said, breaking with years of precedent and potentially leading to unpredictable consequences for the Middle East.

This is pretty sure to ignite a lot of tensions in the middle east. I can't help but feel this is the very worst attempt at instigating violence between Israel and it's neighbors, and in every concievable way plays into the hands of all the bad parties in the world. Neo-nazis, russia, ISIS and other fundamentalits islamists, weapons manufacturers, fundamentalist christians, neo-cons etc. etc.

Absolutely no good will come of this. Trump truly is the absolute clusterfuck president above them all. I'm genuinely depressed by his presidency and I live neither in the US or middle east.

While I agree that no good will come of this and it's a bad move, it is also sort of blaming the victim. The Muslim world is opposed to it because they are opposed to anything and everything that has to do with Israel, because of Jews. So the whole thing is a bad idea because of the rampant racism of Israel's neighbors.
WayOfTheDodo

Name: Raphus Cucullatus

Mauritius (mu)
Print view this post

Re: President Trump Watch.

#2  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Dec 07, 2017 9:18 pm

WayOfTheDodo wrote:
Rumraket wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:Not content with the inital signal, Trump sets yet more fire to the kindling:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/dec/06/trump-recognise-jerusalem-israel-capital-move-us-embassy-white-house

Officials confirm that US president will break with decades of diplomacy in a move many warn will trigger unrest in the region
Donald Trump will declare formal recognition of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel on Wednesday, the White House has said, breaking with years of precedent and potentially leading to unpredictable consequences for the Middle East.

This is pretty sure to ignite a lot of tensions in the middle east. I can't help but feel this is the very worst attempt at instigating violence between Israel and it's neighbors, and in every concievable way plays into the hands of all the bad parties in the world. Neo-nazis, russia, ISIS and other fundamentalits islamists, weapons manufacturers, fundamentalist christians, neo-cons etc. etc.

Absolutely no good will come of this. Trump truly is the absolute clusterfuck president above them all. I'm genuinely depressed by his presidency and I live neither in the US or middle east.

While I agree that no good will come of this and it's a bad move, it is also sort of blaming the victim.

Yes, we're well aware of your one-sided view on this conflict in the Middle East.

The Muslim world is opposed to it because they are opposed to anything and everything that has to do with Israel,because of Jews.

QED an incredibly vague and at the same time crass generalisation.

So the whole thing is a bad idea because of the rampant racism of Israel's neighbors.

Yup that's the one and only cause for the problems in that part of Asia minor....
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#3  Postby aban57 » Dec 07, 2017 10:30 pm

WayOfTheDodo wrote:
Rumraket wrote:

While I agree that no good will come of this and it's a bad move, it is also sort of blaming the victim. The Muslim world is opposed to it because they are opposed to anything and everything that has to do with Israel, because of Jews. So the whole thing is a bad idea because of the rampant racism of Israel's neighbors.

Then maybe you should take a look at Saudi Arabia's last actions. They're quite the opposite of what you're saying. Also, when you're a bully, you make ennemies. When you're stealing an entire country, piece by piece, making its people stateless, this country's friends will be your ennemies. Especially when you've been living precisely the same thing for centuries, and complaining about it (pretty much) the whole time.
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#4  Postby WayOfTheDodo » Dec 08, 2017 7:17 pm

What are Saudi Arabia's last actions?

Israel is not a bully. Israel was attacked, and defended itself. And the attackers kept attacking.

What country was stolen? Palestine was never a country. It was an area owned by someone else. Then Jews (and some Arabs) started migrating there, and the owner at the time decided to give the area to the local population. The Jews accepted. The Arabs did not. Why? Because they were racist fucks who wanted everything for themselves and nothing for the Jews.
WayOfTheDodo

Mauritius (mu)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Dec 08, 2017 10:35 pm

WayOfTheDodo wrote:What are Saudi Arabia's last actions?

Israel is not a bully. Israel was attacked, and defended itself. And the attackers kept attacking.

Uh-huh the entire conflict is completely one-sided. :roll:

WayOfTheDodo wrote:What country was stolen? Palestine was never a country. It was an area owned by someone else. Then Jews (and some Arabs) started migrating there, and the owner at the time decided to give the area to the local population. The Jews accepted. The Arabs did not. Why? Because they were racist fucks who wanted everything for themselves and nothing for the Jews.

Still mindlessy parroting the same PRATTs I see.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#6  Postby WayOfTheDodo » Dec 08, 2017 11:20 pm

Parroting the what?

Yes, the conflict is basically one-sided with Israel always defending itself and the other ones always attacking. If Israel hadn't had the military might that it does, it would have been wiped out a long time ago. On the other hand, Israel shows amazing restraint considering all the attacks on its citizens.

Each terrorist attack in Europe gets tons of attention, but in Israel this kind of thing is almost a daily thing. But they are mostly Jews over there, so I guess no one cares.
WayOfTheDodo

Mauritius (mu)
Print view this post

#7  Postby romansh » Dec 09, 2017 12:56 am

Whilst we are off topic I reminded of a dry comment from a colleague many years ago now.

The Israelis and Palestinians deserve one another.

Having said that sometimes I get the sense that Israel's response, at least on occasions, is over the top. They don't get the eye for the eye metaphor either literally or the "measured" interpretation.
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
romansh

Print view this post

#8  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Dec 09, 2017 1:46 am

romansh wrote:Whilst we are off topic I reminded of a dry comment from a colleague many years ago now.

Having said that sometimes I get the sense that Israel's response, at least on occasions, is over the top. They don't get the eye for the eye metaphor either literally or the "measured" interpretation.

That dry comment is horribly short sighted.

Israelis and Palestinians are a diverse multitude of people many of which are caught in the middle and suffering horribly through no fault of their own. They don't deserve this.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Dec 09, 2017 10:18 am

CdesignProponentsist wrote:
romansh wrote:Whilst we are off topic I reminded of a dry comment from a colleague many years ago now.

That dry comment is horribly short sighted.

Israelis and Palestinians are a diverse multitude of people many of which are caught in the middle and suffering horribly through no fault of their own. They don't deserve this.

:this:
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Dec 09, 2017 10:21 am

WayOfTheDodo wrote:Parroting the what?

PRATT, PointRefutedAThousandTimes.

WayOfTheDodo wrote:Yes, the conflict is basically one-sided with Israel always defending itself

QED another PRATT.

and the other ones always attacking.

Yes, the 'other ones'. More vague generalisations.

If Israel hadn't had the military might that it does, it would have been wiped out a long time ago.

Assertion not given in evidence.

On the other hand, Israel shows amazing restraint considering all the attacks on its citizens.

Except when it doesn't, but then that would undermine your fantastical view of this conflict.

WayOfTheDodo wrote:Each terrorist attack in Europe gets tons of attention, but in Israel this kind of thing is almost a daily thing.

Which is more likely to be reported? Rare events, or everyday events, no matter how horrible?

But they are mostly Jews over there, so I guess no one cares.

:roll:
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Animavore » Dec 09, 2017 11:26 am

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#12  Postby WayOfTheDodo » Dec 09, 2017 11:49 am

romansh wrote:Having said that sometimes I get the sense that Israel's response, at least on occasions, is over the top. They don't get the eye for the eye metaphor either literally or the "measured" interpretation.

While Israel has certainly made mistakes in war, they are extremely good at avoiding civilian casualties. They show amazing restraint, IMO.

So while they are far from perfect, at least they are not looking to wipe out the other side. They could have done it if they wanted to, but all they want is to be left the hell alone.
WayOfTheDodo

Mauritius (mu)
Print view this post

#13  Postby WayOfTheDodo » Dec 09, 2017 11:50 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote:

Except it hasn't been refuted.
WayOfTheDodo

Mauritius (mu)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Animavore » Dec 09, 2017 11:52 am

WayOfTheDodo wrote:
While Israel has certainly made mistakes in war, they are extremely good at avoiding civilian casualties. They show amazing restraint, IMO.

He says right after the news report I just posted.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#15  Postby WayOfTheDodo » Dec 09, 2017 11:54 am

Weird how it didn't "begin" when the Palestinians launched rockets at Israel. It is only when Israel responds in order to protect itself that it "begins". Yeah, weird.

It's also amazing how no one points out the fact that Hamas keeps its military installations as close to their own civilians as possible. This is a clear violation of the Geneva convention, while the same convention does allow attacks on military targets even if civilians are used in an attempt to shield them.

Animavore wrote:
WayOfTheDodo wrote:

What about it? The news is about Israel responding to yet another attack.

Israel is the only nation on the planet that is expected to sit down and do nothing when attacked with rockets. Any other government would be removed from power immediately if they did what you expect from Israel.
WayOfTheDodo

Mauritius (mu)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Animavore » Dec 09, 2017 11:56 am

WayOfTheDodo wrote:

Weird how it didn't "begin" when the Palestinians launched rockets at Israel. It is only when Israel responds in order to protect itself that it "begins". Yeah, weird.

It's also amazing how no one points out the fact that Hamas keeps its military installations as close to their own civilians as possible. This is a clear violation of the Geneva convention, while the same convention does allow attacks on military targets even if civilians are used in an attempt to shield them.

Weird how it didn't begin when Israel started the occupation.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#17  Postby WayOfTheDodo » Dec 09, 2017 11:56 am

Animavore wrote:
WayOfTheDodo wrote:

Weird how it didn't begin when Israel started the occupation.

And the occupation started as a result of Israel being attacked, similar to how the allied forces occupied Germany during WWII.

See the edit to my previous post, by the way.
WayOfTheDodo

Mauritius (mu)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Dec 09, 2017 11:58 am

Animavore wrote:
WayOfTheDodo wrote:

You don't understand Ani, they're just defending themselves. After all, Isreal can do no wrong.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Animavore » Dec 09, 2017 11:58 am

WayOfTheDodo wrote:

Animavore wrote:
WayOfTheDodo wrote:

What about it? The news is about Israel responding to yet another attack.

Israel is the only nation on the planet that is expected to sit down and do nothing when attacked with rockets. Any other government would be removed from power immediately if they did what you expect from Israel.

Bullshit. They brutally and disproportionately responded with superior firepower against shitty homemade devices destroying civilians.

I never saw the British respond so hellishly against Catholic areas due to the IRA.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Dec 09, 2017 11:59 am

WayOfTheDodo wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:

Except it hasn't been refuted.

Blind counterfactual assertion.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Next

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs